• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Dance with Dragons |OT| - Read the rules or Melisandre casts magic missile

I can't believe its finally here. My Kindle is ready. Has is it really only been six years since the last one? It seems even longer, but thats probably because I started the series when the first book was out in paperback. I feel so old.

I can't believe I've waited this long, it finally shows up in iBooks, and... It crashes iBooks every time I try to open it. Every. Time. I'm so pissed right now.

dyls

Duane Cunningham said:
I can't believe I've waited this long, it finally shows up in iBooks, and... It crashes iBooks every time I try to open it. Every. Time. I'm so pissed right now.
Me too. I thought it was just poetic justice for my having made fun of all the people waiting on the physical book, but it must be a real issue.

Is your iPad jailbroken also? I think that may be the problem.

2011-07-12%25252015.35.17.jpg

Hellcrow

I ordered it from amazon.com, so I won't get it before August 5. =(

Think I may just buy it if I find it in a store on the way home. I can handle two copies!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
golem said:
If Kindle doesnt release at midnight I'm going to the darkside and iBooks
gah it's 8am here and no kindle europe release. stupid stupid.

Woot my shipment is in my city, and should be at my door around noon. Hopefully a roommate brings it inside, as I'll be at work; normally I'd just go home and pick it up, but we're having a lunch-and-learn at the job smh so I can't leave. Ha

Blackheim

Aw man, I kept putting off pre-ordering from Amazon and now it's already ~2am Tuesday. Well, guess I'll hit up B&N or Walmart when I wake up. It's been so long since AFFC came out .... hopefully I can get a decent refresher (if my impatience doesn't get the better of me) in before starting Dance.

Famassu

Got it! They didn't have it at Suomalainen kirjakauppa (Finnish Bookstore) yet (in Oulu), but Akateeminen did. So excited!

Hardcover Lord of the Rings (Finnish Edition) in comparison, just for fun.

It is. It's a huge book! Very long! Almost a half as long again as AFFC!

And god, it's so good! I'm ten chaps in and so far
this is definitely my favorite book of the series so far, the decision to focus to split the focus onto kings landing for AFFC hurt that book I though but the fact that all my fav characters were left out for this book is helping to propel this thing into the stratosphere, I mean, things are farkin heating up (or cooling down - matter of perspective) and it's just such enjoyable reading.

Chapter 5 spoiler
Bran on the other side of the wall oh my fucking god wait until you read this shit wholly fucking shit!!!!!

Azrael

PSN monkey got a job at Amazon? It's 12 AM PST and the book isn't on Kindle. It's been available for over an hour on Nook and iBook stores.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
already pre-ordered mine. can't wait for it to arrive.

need to finish name of the wind first though.

Fjordson

Downloading the Kindle sample right now. Hopefully it can tide me over until my hardcover copy arrives tomorrow afternoon.
Azrael said:
PSN monkey got a job at Amazon? It's 12 AM PST and the book isn't on Kindle. It's been available for over an hour on Nook and iBook stores.
Kindle version's been up on the US store.

SmZA

Mine just arrived on my Kindle but dammit, I hadn't managed to finish re-reading AFFC in time. About 25% through.

Wheeee. Kindle copy obtained.

Kind of weird because it wouldn't let me download straight to the device and I had to move it via USB, but whatever. Excite.

Angst

Kindle version delivered! I just have to finish my re-read of AFFC before I start reading, only 5 % left so I should be able to start it tomorrow. Fucking finally! :D

Gambit

This is the thread I was waiting for. No fear of spoiling. I am currently 600 pages in.

Unfortunately, I have one problem with marking the spoilers. I have no idea how many chapters of each character I have read. But I will indicate the page number.

<Tyrion/Page 632 of Hardcover>
The slavers have just captured Tyrion. He made sure that Ser Jorah was sold to the same guy (such a clever dwarf).

I have to admit, I really dislike this plot development. It feels like plodding. Eventually, I am sure it will get the characters where they should be, but it reminds me of the writing style of old stories first published in magazines (e.g. Oliver Twist) or that of soap operas. It feels like a way to simply keep the story going. We will see. I hope I am wrong and it's more meaningful than that.

Anyway, I am enjoying the book greatly and I think I can understand Martin's reasoning for splitting it from Feast. I just hope the TV-Show will break away from that idea and follow a chronological approach. They can hardly have a whole season without Jon, Ayra etc. (that is if the show survives that long)

Words are wind. Words are wind. Words are wind. Words are wind. Words are wind. Words are wind. Words are wind.

My god, Martin uses this phrase so many times. I cringe everytime I see it.

Levi

Banned
Kindle version doesn't have page numbers, so it's going to be hard to properly mark spoilers. I'm 21% in and so far all I have to say is: worth the wait. :)

q_q

Basileus777 said:
Words are wind. Words are wind. Words are wind. Words are wind. Words are wind. Words are wind. Words are wind.

I've read that the editing process was rushed to get the book out in time and that a lot of phrases and descriptions are over-used such as this one. Wonder if they'll correct it in later editions of the book.

q_q said:
I've read that the editing process was rushed to get the book out in time and that a lot of phrases and descriptions are over-used such as this one. Wonder if they'll correct it in later editions of the book.

Doubtful. It's in AFFC as well. One reviewer's take

Like Wagner, he gives each of his characters leitmotifs that recur and recur in their streams of thought. "You know nothing, Jon Snow"; Daenerys' theme is "If I look back I am lost"; Tyrion is haunted by his father's last words, "Wherever whores go." These phrases are like dragons' eggs: the characters keep them close, in the hopes that one day, if they think them enough times, the words will hatch forth the wisdom they desperately need.
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,2081774,00.html#ixzz1RsJTlieV

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
It begins!

The following item is auto-delivered to your Kindle or other device. You can view more information about this order by clicking on the title on the Manage Your Kindle page at Amazon.com.
A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five [Kindle Edition] $11.99

q_q said:

Yeah, there were some other words and phrases I noticed being repeated a bunch that Martin never really used before.

PhoenixDark said:
Doubtful. It's in AFFC as well. One reviewer's take

It's not the same as those phrases. Words are Wind is used by a ton of different POVs and it's done all the time. It's like nuncle in AFFC, except more prevalent and distracting.

Gambit

Basileus777 said:

I always cringe when someone breaks his fast. It's probably all right to use the phrase in this particular context, but it always reminds me of "fasting", not breakfast. And he used it so often.

I also noticed (as a foreigner) that if he uses a very "big" word, it appears again in the next chapter with a different character (but vanishes for the rest of the book). It's as if he had read it in a dictionary that week and it was still fresh on his mind.

Gambit said:
I also noticed (as a foreigner) that if he uses a very "big" word, it appears again in the next chapter with a different character (but vanishes for the rest of the book). It's as if he had read it in a dictionary that week and it was still fresh on his mind.

Abattoir? I noticed it too if that's the word you're talking about.

There was also a part of the book where he kept using catspaw when I don't remember him ever using that word in previous works. I felt like I was reading a Jim Butcher book.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn! Already 1:00am! It took me longer than I expected to finish up Assassin's Apprentice. What a great book! I'm going to make some coffee now and get started on Dance. I'm sure glad I took tomorrow off.

Gambit

Basileus777 said:
Abattoir? I noticed it too if that's the word you're talking about.

There was also a part of the book where he kept using catspaw when I don't remember him ever using that word in previous works. I felt like I was reading a Jim Butcher book.

That was actually one of them. The one I am thinking of, but can't grasp atm, was an adjective, though. I think it appeared in Tyrion's chapters the first time

For those of you with a physical book, how does it compare to the ASOS hard cover in size? The two books have a similar word count (with ASOS having a slight edge) but the pictures make me think ADWD might be bigger.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gambit said:
I always cringe when someone breaks his fast. It's probably all right to use the phrase in this particular context, but it always reminds me of "fasting", not breakfast. And he used it so often.

Where do you think 'breakfast' but to break the fast of the night? It never stuck out as an odd turn of phrase to me.

Gambit

Zefah said:
Where do you think 'breakfast' but to break the fast of the night? It never stuck out as an odd turn of phrase to me.

I do understand the meaning of it and, as I said, it makes sense. It just reminds me of "fasting" for lent, ramadan or in the Ghandi-sense. I am just irritated by how frequently it appears, but I agree it's not as strange as some of phrases in the book.

Basileus777 said:
For those of you with a physical book, how does it compare to the ASOS hard cover in size? The two books have a similar word count (with ASOS having a slight edge) but the pictures make me think ADWD might be bigger.

When I held them next to each other, I thought Storm was bigger, but the page count says otherwise. So I guess, Dance is slightly longer. (Or maybe just has more family trees in the back). It "feels" the same size-wise.

Amir0x

Banned
fuck yes I have it on my nook! And the hardcover book is also being delivered to my doorstep by noon.

time to zone away for a week

Also from one review:

A detailed account of the Doom of Valyria – quite a few books overdue – is spine-crawling and disturbing

The spoiler above isn't technically a spoiler, except that it finally is explained in this book. The spoiler doesn't contain the explanation, only that it happens in this book finally. I'm just being careful.

OH GOD I CANT WAIT TO REACH THIS FINALLY

Where are people in the UK buying it from? On Amazon there only seems to be the hardback. The Paperback says pre order for the 27 Sep 2012!? (not sure if this will be corrected) and the I need the paperback to so it doesn't look odd with the collection.

Gambit

BattleMedic said:
Where are people in the UK buying it from? On Amazon there only seems to be the hardback. The Paperback says pre order for the 27 Sep 2012!? (not sure if this will be corrected) and the I need the paperback to so it doesn't look odd with the collection.

Isn't it usually the case that the paperback is only published at a later date? they want to sell the expensive set first, I think.

Top Bottom