• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Dance with Dragons |OT| - Read the rules or Melisandre casts magic missile

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
ColonialRaptor said:
You mean because she used her warg powers and saw through the eyes of a cat?

I think the chapter's timeline was meant to mean a lot of time had taken place either way, because the parts where she described doing this and that and this and that, and how much time she had spent doing things while blind means and awful lot of time had passed for her to learn all of those things while blind. Learning the entire layout of the House of the Many Faced God while blind would have taken months and months... seriously, she's been there for at least a year if not more. I don't know how long her training is to take overall but her two chapters seemed to advance the period of time for which she was involved at least six months from when we last heard from here, if not more.
Still seems like she's advancing faster than usual acolytes. And warging was still cheating. :p

KingGondo said:
Fallengorn:
I think you're presuming a lot by assuming Jon is dead. That one absolutely screams "fake GRRM death" to me, a la Tyrion falling in the river, and Brienne being hanged, and Arya being hit with the axe, etc. I could be wrong, but there's no way that Jon's story ends like that.

I know he's not dead, but how exactly he's coming back... I don't know.

Jon just happens to be killed within a few hundred feet of his wolf (he's a warg) and someone who can resurrect dead people (Melisandre). Everything about him being able to come back in the next book is right there.

Mudkips

Banned
Haven't read any of the books yet. Did see the HBO series.

I was thinking about buying this:
61RXUvc1PwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But Amazon reviews say this set is shit - pages fall out, pages missing, printing is cut off, pages duplicated, out of order, etc. Has anyone had these problems with this set? (Or not had them?)

Should I just go with this instead?
51Jzhe4N4zL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Obviously it'll be about 5 times the cost if I end up reading all the books.

Someone PM me. I'm not gonna come back to this thread for fear of teh spoilerz.

Edit: Fuck it, ordered the hardcover.

Fjordson

Holy shit.

Page 646 spoiler:
The Hound?!? With Sansa?!? Something tells me that isn't where Brienne will lead Jaime, since I remember Sansa still being with Littlefinger at the end of Feast, but I wonder if it really is The Hound somehow. I got so excited reading that last paragraph. He's one of my favourite characters so I'll be overjoyed if he returns for Winds of Winter. I really don't want him dead or wasting away at the Quiet Isle doing nothing for the rest of the series.

The more obvious outcome is that Brienne agreed to lead Jaime right into the hands of Stoneheart in exchange for her life at the end of Feast, but I honestly don't see Brienne completely betraying Jaime like that.

bonesmccoy said:
Jon just happens to be killed within a few hundred feet of his wolf (he's a warg) and someone who can resurrect dead people (Melisandre). Everything about him being able to come back in the next book is right there.
And the way is open for him to finally be the 1000th lord commander. I've always found it odd that he's the 998th.

Duki

Banned
Mudkips said:
Haven't read any of the books yet. Did see the HBO series.

I was thinking about buying this:
61RXUvc1PwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But Amazon reviews say this set is shit - pages fall out, pages missing, printing is cut off, pages duplicated, out of order, etc. Has anyone had these problems with this set? (Or not had them?)

Should I just go with this instead?
51Jzhe4N4zL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Obviously it'll be about 5 times the cost if I end up reading all the books.

Someone PM me. I'm not gonna come back to this thread for fear of teh spoilerz.

Edit: Fuck it, ordered the hardcover.
i got the 4 book set and it was fine i didnt notice any glaring printing errors at all

brentech

Yeah, my boxset was great. I didn't have any issues with those books. I read ADWD on the Kindle though, thank god, the hard cover looked like a freaking beast. I'd hate holding that thing.

The paperbacks, since I read all 4 of the boxset in 2 1/2 months, I got blisters on the inside of one of my thumbs from the way I held the books, lol. I've never read so much.

Now that I don't have some ASOIAF to read, my life has a gaping hole in it. I feel incomplete. To soon for me to re-read though.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Fjordson said:
Holy shit.

Page 646 spoiler:
The Hound?!? With Sansa?!? Something tells me that isn't where Brienne will lead Jaime, since I remember Sansa still being with Littlefinger at the end of Feast, but I wonder if it really is The Hound somehow. I got so excited reading that last paragraph. He's one of my favourite characters so I'll be overjoyed if he returns for Winds of Winter. I really don't want him dead or wasting away at the Quiet Isle doing nothing for the rest of the series.

The more obvious outcome is that Brienne agreed to lead Jaime right into the hands of Stoneheart in exchange for her life at the end of Feast, but I honestly don't see Brienne completely betraying Jaime like that.

Wouldn't be just her life though. It would also be Pod's life and that other dude.

Just finished it tonight and had 2 quick questions regarding stuff that happened in the book:

1. What did Arya do to get that guy assassinated in her last chapter?

2. Was Bowen Marsh a friend, enemy, or in the middle with Jon? His character never really stood out to me.

Let me know if I have to fix those spoilers in any way.

Sotha Sil

Mike Works said:
Just finished it tonight and had 2 quick questions regarding stuff that happened in the book:

1. What did Arya do to get that guy assassinated in her last chapter?

2. Was Bowen Marsh a friend, enemy, or in the middle with Jon? His character never really stood out to me.

Let me know if I have to fix those spoilers in any way.

Arya poisoned the coin, knowing that the merchant would bite it

gdt

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit @ Bran's chapter that starts on page 448. SHIT!

So far I'm loving it, it would probably even land in my #2 spot after ASOS.

Need more
past Eddard Stark! MOAR!

Can someone just answer if I get more? Just a simple yes or no.

Apath

I'm like half way through the final chapter, but this is really bothering me.

Do not read this if you have not finished the book.
Jon dies? Wait wtf?

Why would he need to march on Ramsay? Why was the giant tearing apart that dude's corpse? Why is Jon dead? =[

Grimadin

Neo Member
So I read the book when it first came out, but I just picked up the audio book a few days ago. I didn't really want to listen to the whole book again, so I was picking out people chapters and listened to them. It's actually pretty fun to just listen to the characters in blocks if you know what is going on with the other characters.

So far I think that the
Reek
chapters are some of my favorite and if the show gets that hes going to be great.

Kenak said:
I'm like half way through the final chapter, but this is really bothering me.

Do not read this if you have not finished the book.
Jon dies? Wait wtf?

Why would he need to march on Ramsay? Why was the giant tearing apart that dude's corpse? Why is Jon dead? =[

All, ill say is read the prologue again. Then re read those final pages.

Gamer @ Heart said:
All, ill say is read the prologue again. Then re read those final pages.

Guess I'll do that because if have no clue what you're talking about.

Also I just finished ADWD and overall I'm a bit disappointed.

Kenak said:
Why was the giant tearing apart that dude's corpse?

The giant lived in the 1st floor. The wilding queen's sister, Val was on the top floor. I believe the knight that gets torn apart had already mentioned he wanted to have sex with Val or at least marry her. Since you can't just marry a wildling, you have to "steal" them in the night, that's what he was doing. The giant was guarding her. The giant got stabbed and went all crazy. Even more spoilers: The knight's crest was a star. He is the bleeding star in the prophecy for Azor Ahai coming back.

Brera

Banned
Fjordson said:
Holy shit.

Page 646 spoiler:

I'm not the most observant reader (listener rather) but it's pretty clear that Brienne is leading Jaime to a trap where Lady Stoneheart/Cat is going to kill him in revenge...

Kenak said:
Read the prologue. Still do not understand.
Some people who have the
ability to warg into other animals and people. The prologue tells the story of the guy who tried to warg into the wilding lady, but ended up having to warg into his wolf (which eventually packed up with Summer).

Jon's last word was "Ghost," so it's likely that he'll have jumped from his body to Ghost's prior to him eating it. People are guessing he'll eventually jump to another body, or maybe his corpse will reanimate and he'll jump back to it and become a being similar to the Coldhands dude who helped Bran.

Just finished today as well and add me to the list of those who are a bit disappointed. The writing is as good as always, and it was great to see my favorite characters back, but I was expecting the story to advance a lot further.

tino

Banned
I have a Barnes and Noble Nook Touch for sell, it comes with a purchased ebook of Dance with Dragons. I hope its ok to post it in this thread. Let me know if its not kosher.

* 2 weeks old BN Nook Touch (the new black and white version)
* a BN Nook account with login email address and passwrd.
* you will also get the gmail password to the gmail address
* A purchased copy of Dance with Dragons linked to this Nook account, which is already loaded on the Nook Touch.

$140 shipped with Amazon payment.
(if you have to use Paypal, its $150 since Paypal charges me fee)

Apath

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Just finished today as well and add me to the list of those who are a bit disappointed. The writing is as good as always, and it was great to see my favorite characters back, but I was expecting the story to advance a lot further.
I thought it was awesome. The (late chapter name)
Kingbreaker
chapter kicked ass.

IamMattFox said:
Some people who have the
ability to warg into other animals and people. The prologue tells the story of the guy who tried to warg into the wilding lady, but ended up having to warg into his wolf (which eventually packed up with Summer).

Jon's last word was "Ghost," so it's likely that he'll have jumped from his body to Ghost's prior to him eating it. People are guessing he'll eventually jump to another body, or maybe his corpse will reanimate and he'll jump back to it and become a being similar to the Coldhands dude who helped Bran.
Ah.

Kenak said:
I thought it was awesome. The (late chapter name)
Kingbreaker
chapter kicked ass.

Don't get me wrong, it was an enjoyable a read, mostly because Martin is just such a good writer, and I love the world that he has created and the ongoing political intrigue. I just expected and hope that the story would advance further.

Spoilers:
For instance, I hoped for more real action at the wall. The Others/Wights haven't really come at all yet. I also hoped Daenerys would at least be on her way to Westeros, but she pretty much went no where.

I feel like all the pieces are set out on the board, but we waited five years for this book, which simply didn't advance things as much as I would have liked.

luiztfc

I've just finished the book. So far I was afraid to read this thread (fear of reading a spoiler), but is there a possible date the Winds of Winter?

luiztfc said:
I've just finished the book. So far I was afraid to read this thread (fear of reading a spoiler), but is there a possible date the Winds of Winter?

No. All Martin has said is that he will resume writing in 2012.

gdt

Just finished this. Overall, I loved the book, but felt the ending fizzled out. We didn't even get cliffhangers (aside from you-know-who) but it felt like the chapters cut off right before the cliffhangers lol.

The story is moving in excellent places though, new characters and all. Reek was EXCELLENT.

just finished (well, still have the epilogue to go, but I doubt that really ends things too much),

I'm a bit disapointed with it, It felt like 1.5 books, which I guess it kinf of was...

All the other books have a way of building tension and laying the plots down for a third of the book, then things come to a conclusion in an epic way through about 80%, then the final pages might contain a few twists, but it generally ties up the lose ends in a satisfying way while leaving the future open for the next book.

I felt like that arch was completed by a bout 2/3 of the way through, then the final third of the book was all setup again, and just as things started to pick up and it looked like everything was going to start happening it just kind of... ended.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
gdt5016 said:
Just finished this. Overall, I loved the book, but felt the ending fizzled out. We didn't even get cliffhangers (aside from you-know-who) but it felt like the chapters cut off right before the cliffhangers lol.

The story is moving in excellent places though, new characters and all. Reek was EXCELLENT.

I felt so bad for
Reek.
His whole relationship with Ramsay Bolton reminded me of that Six Feet Under episode where he gets kidnapped and beaten by the crack addict guy AND THERE IS NO COMMEUPPANCE.

tmdorsey

OuterWorldVoice said:
I felt so bad for
Reek.
His whole relationship with Ramsay Bolton reminded me of that Six Feet Under episode where he gets kidnapped and beaten by the crack addict guy AND THERE IS NO COMMEUPPANCE.

I kinda feel bad for him, but I kinda don't just like Sansa. In both cases they sort of brought what happened to them on themselves.

Bloodsent

Maybe I missed someone's thoughts on this already cause I just finished up the book, but
based on everything that happened (Melisandre's vision of snow in the fire, Bowen Marsh crying, Jon's dream), I am getting the feeling that Jon is going to come back as Azor Ahai resurrected to fight the Others, at least with the prophecy matching up pretty well..

tmdorsey

Just finished.

On Jon's death I initially thought Melisandre would end up resurrecting him like Thoros did with Lord Beric and Beric eventually did with Catelyn, but I totally forgot about the prophecy of Azor Ahai. That definitely makes alot sense. He slipping into Ghost and then eventually slipping back into his old body.

Gvaz

Banned
I guess I'm the only one who's 60% through and would prefer AFFC pt 2 to ADWD :|

I can't believe I bought this after the first 4 were so good.

Gvaz

Banned
No way, ADWD is more like the first half of ACOK, it's fucking boring. I only really care about Reek at this point cause there's nothing redeeming about anyone else at this point, and everyone who I do like either has like 1-3 chapters or isn't in the book at all.

ADWD is great, far better than AFFC.
Yes, it sets more in motion than it finishes, and has a a couple of incomplete arcs, but it's still a great read.

Roude Leiw said:
i had high hopes after the snore fest which affc was. so far i am 200 pages in and it is as boring as affc. will it get better?

Sadly, no it won't.

I think Martin may have lost it. The first three books were really entertaining, but the last two have just been a chore to read. ADWD is even worse the AFFC.

dead souls said:
Sadly, no it won't.

I think Martin may have lost it. The first three books were really entertaining, but the last two have just been a chore to read. ADWD is even worse the AFFC.

OK. So stop wasting your time and read something else.

I'm about 200 pages into ADWD. I'm not liking it as much as AFFC, but I really liked AFFC, so it's all good. Don't get any of the hate for these past 2 books. Martin's writing is still top notch. I'm amazed how consistent it is. The story isn't as exciting as SoS, but you have to build to those kinds of moments. I expect some crazy shit in the next few books, if not this one. I love these characters so anytime with them is good.

tmdorsey

VistraNorrez said:
I'm about 200 pages into ADWD. I'm not liking it as much as AFFC, but I really liked AFFC, so it's all good. Don't get any of the hate for these past 2 books. Martin's writing is still top notch. I'm amazed how consistent it is. The story isn't as exciting as SoS, but you have to build to those kinds of moments. I expect some crazy shit in the next few books, if not this one. I love these characters so anytime with them is good.

After being finished with the book for only about 5 days, I'm already going through withdrawal after spending the last 2 and a half months reading all 5 books.

Okay, I'm leaving my rereads of AFFC and ADWD until I've finished the new Elder Scrolls and Halo novels set to come out soon. Started AFFC but fell asleep during the first chapter :)lol), and figured I'd never finish it before those other books came out.

At least this way, the wait for TWoW will be shorter when I'm done with ADWD again.
:(

VistraNorrez said:

Eh, each of the ASOIAF books need an exciting plot since Martin's actual writing is fairly mediocre.

355 pgs in .. not really compelled by anything going on at all

i have to force myself to read new chapters :/

i really just want
dany to get to fucking westeros already.

Top Bottom