• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Dance with Dragons |OT| - Read the rules or Melisandre casts magic missile

brianjones said:
355 pgs in .. not really compelled by anything going on at all

i have to force myself to read new chapters :/

i really just want
dany to get to fucking westeros already.

Yep. ADWD could've easily cut out 200+ pages of extraneous stuff, which would've made the book a much better read.

brianjones said:
355 pgs in .. not really compelled by anything going on at all

i have to force myself to read new chapters :/

i really just want
dany to get to fucking westeros already.

screw dany

I'm rooting for the other Targaryen now. He's getting shit done instead of whining

dyls

Still slogging my way through this. I'm trying to stay interested in these characters and their (lack of) action, but have not been so successful. I'm considering just waiting for the fan-edit combination of AFFC and ADWD. Shaving 400 pages off each book and putting them together in chronological order might improve things greatly.

Really surprised people enjoyed the Reek chapters. Maybe they get better, but if I have to hear what Reek rhymes with one more time I'll throw this book out the window. WE FUCKING GET IT ALREADY. Martin's writing has gotten so unbelievably repetitive in the last two books where the first three were so concise and forward leaning. I blame his editing team. They've lost any power to control his bloat and until they do this series is doomed in my eyes.

Jokergrin said:
This series will never recover after peaking in ASOS

I disagree. As much as I was disappointed with the pacing of ADWD, Martin now has all the Chess pieces in play on the table, and final two books should be epic. I just don't want to have to wait for 5 years to see the next one unfold, and when we do finally get it, he had better kick things into gear.

Roche

Jokergrin said:

I'm hoping that with the whole
Mereen problem mostly dealt with
the series will pick up some speed. Martin has been saying for a while that's what was giving him so much trouble.

I used to like Dany scenes :'(

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Jokergrin said:

are you from the future or just another member of pessimism GAF who reviews games they haven't played yet?

because if you're from the future i could use some help on my fantasy football league.

tmdorsey said:
Well yeah, but
she wasn't a whore
or is that the joke?

Always possible that
daddy shipped her off there after what happened when Tyrion was a teenager, just to prevent Tyrion from discovering the truth

Gvaz

Banned
Why would you go to such great lengths when he himself is a hypocrite?

Just move the fuck on tyrion and go fuck penny or something you fucking moron.

tmdorsey

Gvaz said:
Just move the fuck on tyrion and go fuck penny or something you fucking moron.

You seriously don't get how fuck up that incident was do you? Tyrion has proven he's not like his father or sister and has the capability of feeling guilt and remorse when an innocent person has been victimized and tortured brutally.

dyls said:
Really surprised people enjoyed the Reek chapters. Maybe they get better, but if I have to hear what Reek rhymes with one more time I'll throw this book out the window. WE FUCKING GET IT ALREADY. Martin's writing has gotten so unbelievably repetitive in the last two books where the first three were so concise and forward leaning. I blame his editing team. They've lost any power to control his bloat and until they do this series is doomed in my eyes.

reminds me of in feast for crows with jaime

she's fucking lancel and osmund kettleblack

robbheads_sm.jpg

q_q

Granger Danger said:
The latter.

And Brienne is pronounced Bry-een.
No it's two 'n's together, not two 'e's. Therefore you pronounce it as you would comedienne. It's not "comedy-een."

Wow, I've just noticed I was calling Brienne by Brianne. I think it was in this forum I noticed I was calling Robett Glover by Robert Glover.

On the same note, did it bug anyone whenever anyone said Arya's name in GOT? Always sounded like "AH-YUH" to me. Maybe just the actors accents, dunno.

ADwD is MUCH better on re-read, when you already know what to expect. Then you can take the book for what it is and really appreciate how well written and evocative it is, and start reading between the lines and figuring out how everything ties together. There is a lot of beautiful writing in this book and a lot of subtle clues about the overall story that may not be immediately apparent on first read.

Some spoilerish comments:

The lack of satisying resolution to 2 of the book's major storylines (Boltons vs Stannis/Mance for Winterfell; & Mereen-Yunkai, etc. war) is a seriously frustrating flaw. There is lots of build-up, then it seems to end too suddenly. It does not give the reader the emotional release that he/she requires after reading such a long book with such an intricate plot. I am convinced that GRRM did plan to include these resolutions in the book, but pushed them to the next book in order to finally get ADwD published. (GRRM's editor did say that 2 major events that were planned for ADwD got pushed to TWoW for timing reasons.)

As for the "other Targaryen" that is taking action in Westeros while Dany struggles to control Mereen, well, he is not really a Targaryen. He is the "mummer's dragon" that Dany was warned about in the House of the Undying in Quarth. He does have dragon's blood, buuuuuuut he is a Blackfyre dragon, not Targaryen. Illyrio and Varys are Blackfyre loyalists, most likely with Blackfyre family ties. There are lots of subtle clues in the book that lead to this conclusion. It helps greatly to have read the Dunk & Egg novellas, which tie into events in ASoIaF in suprising ways. (Why do you think the novellas give so much attention to the Blackfyre rebellions and Bloodraven? It's not accidental.)

q_q said:
Bree-enne. It's one of the more straight forward names I thought.
That's how I pronounced it personally, until I heard Roy Dotrice pronounce it Bry-een. Which I would assume makes it the canon pronunciation. How does GRRM pronounce it himself?

Granger Danger said:
That's how I pronounced it personally, until I heard Roy Dotrice pronounce it Bry-een. Which I would assume makes it the canon pronunciation. How does GRRM pronounce it himself?

I think I read that he pronounces it Bree-en-ee. But maybe I just imagined that.

q_q

I've never heard him pronounce it but I guess he can pronounce it any way he wants, since it's his character. The way it's spelled though it should be Bree-en. If he wants it pronounced a different way he should spell it that way. A little pet peeve of mine. Like the way he pronounces "Dany" "Danny." If you want it to be "Danny", then spell it that way!

Gvaz

Banned
q_q said:
No it's two 'n's together, not two 'e's. Therefore you pronounce it as you would comedienne. It's not "comedy-een."

Granger Danger said:
The latter.

And Brienne is pronounced Bry-een.

I pronounce it Bry-een and won't change.

q_q said:
I've never heard him pronounce it but I guess he can pronounce it any way he wants, since it's his character. The way it's spelled though it should be Bree-en. If he wants it pronounced a different way he should spell it that way. A little pet peeve of mine. Like the way he pronounces "Dany" "Danny." If you want it to be "Danny", then spell it that way!

I say it Danny too :| Actually danny and dany are pronounced the same so idk what you're on about here

Kapsama

Red Nightmare said:
As for the "other Targaryen" that is taking action in Westeros while Dany struggles to control Mereen, well, he is not really a Targaryen. He is the "mummer's dragon" that Dany was warned about in the House of the Undying in Quarth. He does have dragon's blood, buuuuuuut he is a Blackfyre dragon, not Targaryen. Illyrio and Varys are Blackfyre loyalists, most likely with Blackfyre family ties. There are lots of subtle clues in the book that lead to this conclusion. It helps greatly to have read the Dunk & Egg novellas, which tie into events in ASoIaF in suprising ways. (Why do you think the novellas give so much attention to the Blackfyre rebellions and Bloodraven? It's not accidental.)
Interesting theory, but I think people are reading too much into the term "mummer's dragon". Varys could be the mummer and the kid is his dragon.

q_q said:
A little pet peeve of mine. Like the way he pronounces "Dany" "Danny." If you want it to be "Danny", then spell it that way!

what other way is there to pronounce that..?

i'm assuming "dany" makes it sound a little more exotic and less real worldy

iirate

Red Nightmare said:
ADwD is MUCH better on re-read, when you already know what to expect. Then you can take the book for what it is and really appreciate how well written and evocative it is, and start reading between the lines and figuring out how everything ties together. There is a lot of beautiful writing in this book and a lot of subtle clues about the overall story that may not be immediately apparent on first read.

Some spoilerish comments:

The lack of satisying resolution to 2 of the book's major storylines (Boltons vs Stannis/Mance for Winterfell; & Mereen-Yunkai, etc. war) is a seriously frustrating flaw. There is lots of build-up, then it seems to end too suddenly. It does not give the reader the emotional release that he/she requires after reading such a long book with such an intricate plot. I am convinced that GRRM did plan to include these resolutions in the book, but pushed them to the next book in order to finally get ADwD published. (GRRM's editor did say that 2 major events that were planned for ADwD got pushed to TWoW for timing reasons.)

I'd like to know what these hints are (I just finished the book this week, and probably won't do a reread until next year). I've had the feeling since he first showed up that we don't know his whole story, and that he won't end up being one of the three heads of the dragons.

On a similar note, I suspect that the three heads are probably Dany, Jon and Tyrion, and they will all end up fighting one another at the endgame. We know this series won't have a feel good ending, and it would be brutal to watch the characters that he has built up in the most sympathetic/heroic light tearing each other apart. I don't think it will be all doom and gloom, but I don't see the story ending well for any of them.

Kuroyume

Banned
I finished the book today. Got it back in October but only really started to put more time into it in December. I was at about 150-200 pages then. Anyway, having now completed the reading I have to say that I loved it. I haven't read any criticism of the book yet as I've been trying to avoid spoilers but I don't undestand how people can feel so differently about AFFC and ADWD compared to the other books. I think they're as consitent as the previous books in every way that makes those other books enjoyable. I'd go as far as saying that ADWD is close to ASOS as my favorite in the series.

My only complaint is that (like AFFC) it started off slowly. I feel the turning point was the chapter where
Jon decapitates Slynt.
That's what I recall as the first holy shit moment in the book.
Reek/Ramsay
... HOLY SHIT I... What can be said about that story. When
Jon read that letter at the end and chooses to attack Winterfell
I was just so fucking pumped and then Martin trolled me. LOL So freaking good.

I have enjoyed the books. So happy that I decided to go ahead and read the books instead of waiting for the tv series to air the seasons before going to the books. Now I find myself joining the ranks of fans who now have to wait years for the next installment... FUCK LOL Anyway, I'm debating whether to read Stephen King's It or some historical/non fiction stuff next but I also have my eyes set on Martin's Dreamsongs collection of stories. Has anyone here read any of them?

q_q

On that note, I think I'm the only one that pronounced her name "Bree-n".

No I pronounced her name correctly as well.

what other way is there to pronounce that..?

i'm assuming "dany" makes it sound a little more exotic and less real worldy

I always read it as Dane-ee. Probably because I knew a girl in high school who spelled and pronouncedher name that way. Not sure if that's correct from a phonetic stand point though.

Edit: Oh God I just realized these posts are like four months old. :x

bengraven

I finished the book today. Got it back in October but only really started to put more time into it in December. I was at about 150-200 pages then. Anyway, having now completed the reading I have to say that I loved it. I haven't read any criticism of the book yet as I've been trying to avoid spoilers but I don't undestand how people can feel so differently about AFFC and ADWD compared to the other books. I think they're as consitent as the previous books in every way that makes those other books enjoyable. I'd go as far as saying that ADWD is close to ASOS as my favorite in the series.

My only complaint is that (like AFFC) it started off slowly. I feel the turning point was the chapter where
Jon decapitates Slynt.
That's what I recall as the first holy shit moment in the book.
Reek/Ramsay
... HOLY SHIT I... What can be said about that story. When
Jon read that letter at the end and chooses to attack Winterfell
I was just so fucking pumped and then Martin trolled me. LOL So freaking good.

I have enjoyed the books. So happy that I decided to go ahead and read the books instead of waiting for the tv series to air the seasons before going to the books. Now I find myself joining the ranks of fans who now have to wait years for the next installment... FUCK LOL Anyway, I'm debating whether to read Stephen King's It or some historical/non fiction stuff next but I also have my eyes set on Martin's Dreamsongs collection of stories. Has anyone here read any of them?

Right afterwards I was like "oh, this is poetic, Jon was the one to get revenge for Ned in the end".

Only just finished ADWD recently myself. I took a little extra long due to heavy work commitments. But anyway...

...I honestly thought the book was dogshit. Things didn't get genuinely interesting until the 600-page mark, and by then you could sense that the story had to start winding down.

- None of the major story arcs came to a resolution. The book just feels like a random part of a story drifting about aimlessly like a fart in the wind.
-
Nothing on Jaime, Brienne or Sansa
- The final scene with
Jon
was a terribly unsubtle red herring
- Portions of Robert's Rebellion was completely retconned
- I disagree with Martin's decision to make the events of AFFC and ADWD concurrent. There was no need for it. It would've been much easier to follow if they'd simply been put in chronological order.
- Many of the new characters to whom entire chapters are devoted seem to be in there purely to fulfill the "cast of thousands" boast. Most were unnecessary distractions, imo.

Ratrat

Haven't read all of it but I'd say Dreamsongs is worth getting. Some awesome sci-fi horror stuff like Sandkings, the Ice and Fire short stories and Tuf stories are really great.

Walshicus

Man the amazon reviews are harsh...

Still buying it though. I enjoyed Feast for Crows despite a lot of people complaining about the same things he's doing here.

AngryMoth

Man the amazon reviews are harsh...

Still buying it though. I enjoyed Feast for Crows despite a lot of people complaining about the same things he's doing here.
Dance is my least favourite in the series but its still a fantastic book and you'd be mad to not read it, especially if you enjoyed Feast.

Top Bottom