• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at the current public state of SteamOS, Steam Controller and Steam Machines

Perhaps, but as any PC gamer will tell you, pre-builts blow for value gaming builds. They always ALWAYS skimp on the GPU.

So my point still stands I think.

But this is a thread about an initiative to launch a series of prebuilt machines for the living room:

19btfo36m6fx4png.png

Since the original announcement Microsoft has reduced OEM licenses by up to 85%. Month by month the logic for Linux based Steam Machines seems to makes less sense.

exactly

they can never ever win

they learned they get less shit when they just launch stuff out of the blue then if they announce something and it gets delayed

so thats what they do

the fans are too dumb to be able to handle delays so they just dont tell them anything

Clearly not, or I wouldn't have been as annoyed at how little they've talked about their controller over the last 6 months.

With the controller it felt like they were doing it very public compared to how they normally do stuff, but then they sudden just went radio silent about it. Fans may get angry about a delay, but they are perfectly capable of dealing with them. It's when companies refuse to even acknowledge something anymore that people irritated.

Valve is perfectly capable of "winning" if they had kept going the route they had been going. Sending out early models of the controller for testing, getting feedback, letting the press get their hands on it, making iterations, and so on.

Khaz

Since the original announcement Microsoft has reduced OEM licenses by up to 85%. Month by month the logic for Linux based Steam Machines seems to makes less sense.

Maybe they should have had a surprise launch. Giving Microsoft time to adjust was probably the worst thing to do.

pixlexic

Banned
I love that steam pushes Linux for the sheer fact that I can make a small cheap box and stream my games to anywhere in my home.

I wish it was easier to make syreaming work for non steam applications though.

Krejlooc

Banned
CES 2015 is next month and you'll likely see tons of stuff about the Steam Controller and Steam Machines there. There is no Dev Days in 2015, so all their announcements will shift to the next major event which is CES.

Bry0

Valve has changed so much since a decade ago. I'm starting to really lose faith in them. Mostly because I am salty about Half-Life. They built a fan base with that franchise, and it is nothing but $2.50 key infested multiplayer games and schemes to make more money through steam.

The steam forums used to have a cool tight nit community as well, but that has died out now. Valve has stopped communicating about my favorite franchise, but they don't hesitate with trying to sell me maps and skins they didn't even make themselves.

The steam controller seems like it has been a nightmare for them. By the end of it, it will probably look like a 360 controller haha.

The Cowboy

Maybe they should have had a surprise launch. Giving Microsoft time to adjust was probably the worst thing to do.

Indeed, say what you want about MS, but the way in which they are doing W10 with the feedback app and actually seemingly listening to people in how things look/handle shows to me that giving MS a heads up was a bad idea. By the time Steam OS comes along, Windows 10 will be out and will likely be just gravy for a gamer - leaving little to no reason to even bother installing SteamOS.

Like most (I'd assume), the only thing I'm interested in now is the controller - as I'm a living room PC gamer.

What does it tell? I'm genuinely curious, because so far it seems to be working out for them.

It shows a lack of commitment to projects. Projects get released in half-baked state, then when they get to a certain point a lot of people abandon them. Age old bugs in steam and their games people constantly point out? Nope, still unfixed. Slowing updates etc.

exactly

they can never ever win

they learned they get less shit when they just launch stuff out of the blue then if they announce something and it gets delayed

so thats what they do

the fans are too dumb to be able to handle delays so they just dont tell them anything

How about they announce or release things in a proper state? Everything's so half-baked with them and not thought out. Also, you sound like an Arsene Wenger apologist.

They did so at Dev Days with benchmarks and statistics. There is a significant number of users in China with DX11 capable GPUs who use Windows XP as their operating system of choice, which restricts them to DX9 featuresets. By using VOGL you can bring DX11 features to these people without them upgrading anything in the process. It's a free upgrade to millions in china.

Nice of you to ignore all my impressions which I've posted throughout gaf, btw. I'm not only a tester, I support the thing in Half Life 2 VR with native code.

I know a main reason is China. I made separate threads about SDD, I followed it as much as I could. However China to me and the majority of Steam customers is not a good reason. It means nothing to me. They've talked about performance gains, so show it to me, not the chinese.

Also, your opinions are in the thread I linked which I made. It's there to anyone to see. "Read this before you read the OP and respond" basically. In that part I was specifically talking abut public showings.

pixlexic

Banned
Indeed, say what you want about MS, but the way in which they are doing W10 with the feedback app and actually seemingly listening to people in how things look/handle shows to me that giving MS a heads up was a bad idea. By the time Steam OS comes along, Windows 10 will be out and will likely be just gravy for a gamer - leaving little to no reason to even bother installing SteamOS.

Like most (I'd assume), the only thing I'm interested in now is the controller - as I'm a living room PC gamer.

So either way the advent of steam os was very good for pc gamers even if was just to get ms off thier asses.

orava

CES 2015 is next month and you'll likely see tons of stuff about the Steam Controller and Steam Machines there. There is no Dev Days in 2015, so all their announcements will shift to the next major event which is CES.

Actually they aren't at CES but at GDC in march.

http://www.valvetime.net/threads/valve-will-attend-gdc-2015-in-march.245614/

Speaking with TechRadar, Valve's Doug Lombardi confirmed that they won't be going to the Consumer Electronics Show 2015. Instead, they're going to have a "large Steam Machine presence" at the Game Developers Conference 2015.

The Cowboy

So either way the advent of steam os was very good for pc gamers even if was just to get ms off thier asses.
This is actually exactly how i feel about it, i do think the announcement was great in that it does seem to have affected what will happen with Windows.

According to Techradar they won't be at CES, but at GDC. It's in the OP.

There is a steam dev days talk about how they interact with community. It's definitely worth the watch and is relevant to this topic too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwv1G3WFSfI

I know about this. Made a thread for all the vids, barely anyone responded.

Sanic

The SteamOS portion has always felt like a very public hedge against the collapse of the current Windows-based status quo. It won't end up being of any use to Valve in the near future.

Krejlooc

Banned
How about they announce or release things in a proper state? Everything's so half-baked withe them and not thought out. Also, you sound like an Arsene Wenger apologist.

There is a phrase for this type of feedback loop in development, "release early, release often." It's done to gather mass feedback on a product. Why did valve announce these things early? So that they could gather feedback - as they've done for a year now - to make changes to all these products, again as they've done for a year now - so they wouldn't have the faults people identify at public launch.

I know a main reason is China. I made separate threads about SDD, I followed it much as I could. However China to me and the majority of Steam customers is not a good reason. It means nothing to me. They've talked about performance gains, so show it to me, not the chinese.

A) The potential of china compared to the current "majority of steam customers" is tiny. Should china ever mass-adopt Steam, they would become the majority of steam customers.

B) The benefits china sees in SteamOS and OpenGL are not limited to that market. There is an enormous number of people gaming on outdated platforms even within the US. Extrapolate the purpose of VOGL to future direct X - do you think everyone will mass-upgrade to Windows 10? If not, then you've just identified another benefit with local appeal.

Also, your opinions are in the thread I linked which I made. It's there to anyone to see. "Read this before you read the OP and respond" basically. In that part I was specifically talking abut public showings.

You highlight several negative opinions specifically in the OP, meanwhile my own hands-on, technical experiences with the controller and OS are buried within threads you linked. You should strive to be objective.

Jb

Thanks for the comprehensive and pleasant to read OP, I haven't really been following how their initiatives were going since I don't find the concept that exciting to begin with. I do hope it gets to a level where the people that are interested can really on it, even if from where I stand it seems like more of an uphill battle for Valve than most of they've done in the last few years.

Dolor

But this is a thread about an initiative to launch a series of prebuilt machines for the living room:

...and about their initiative to create a gaming centric Linux based PC OS for anyone to download and use which is what I was discussing.

As long as the cost to build your own is still $100 per OS, I don't think this is as relevant to this discussion as you seem to. Still, I will look forward to the day when Windows is free to all.

Horp

Honestly at first I couldn't really see when I would use a Steam Machine.
Lately I've been thinking it would be nice to have the ability to play my PC games on the couch however.
3 things would make me buy a Steam Machine. OS being really solid; the controller being surprisingly good and finally of course...

Nymerio

It shows a lack of commitment to projects. Projects get released in half-baked state, then when they get to a certain point a lot of people abandon them. Age old bugs in steam and their games people constantly point out? Nope, still unfixed. Slowing updates etc.

How about they announce or release things in a proper state? Everything's so half-baked with them and not thought out. Also, you sound like an Arsene Wenger apologist.

I know a main reason is China. I made separate threads about SDD, I followed it as much as I could. However China to me and the majority of Steam customers is not a good reason. It means nothing to me. They've talked about performance gains, so show it to me, not the chinese.

Well, releasing stuff in half-baked state seems to be the industry norm
Kappa
. I thought even their older games get occasional updates? I mean it sure sucks that some bugs go unfixed but compared to how other devs handle their older games it's far better.

The result of them trying to announce or release things in a 'proper' state is what they're doing with ep 3. One one side you have people whining about them announcing stuff to early or in half-baked state and on the other side you have people whining about them not releasing or announcing stuff early enough.

jeffers

Also think that things like the alienware machine coming out is a sign its really behind schedule, I dunno how much goodwill is left there for when they try push it again.

If its gone think valve might have to do the nexus model.

edit: also wheres the thin client so we can just stream to sometihng cheap hooked up the tv (like xbmc devices) >.>

The Cowboy

.As long as the cost to build your own is still $100 per OS, I don't think this is as relevant to this discussion as you seem to. Still, I will look forward to the day when Windows is free to all.
Does Windows really still cost $100 in the US? (in most places), its been a long time since i bought a full version of Windows (as i do the upgrades now) - but $100 seems way to much (heck at a bad price i could get W7 pro right now for under £50 - i got it at release for £36)

Krejlooc

Banned
Since OP won't directly reference them, here are my direct experiences with the beta controller, both as end-use and developing for it:

Krejlooc said:
Krejlooc said:
See that big, round, circular pad directly above the thing you're wishing was a d-pad? The thing your thumb naturally extends over? It acts as a d-pad.

And contrary to what someone else posted earlier in this thread, the touchpads are suitable for platformers.

You can also use the cell phone screen as such, but a flat surface doesn't look like the best substitute for a physical D-pad to me.

the difference being a cell phone screen is touch activated and provides no tactile feedback aside from vibrations, where the touchpads can be switch activated to provide a real, literal, physical button depressing.

In other words, the difference between sliding over glass with every slightes contact being represented as input, and depressing an actual button on the left side of the pad to move left, with only that button being depressed being recognized as input.

Which is a pretty huge difference.

Why do those directions need to be separate buttons, anyway? I just can't see an actual benefit to it.

Because they're not directions as separate buttons. They're a cluster of 4 buttons that are labeled with directions. And I explained why they "need" to be like that - because a d-pad resides in that location on most other controllers and developers/beta testers demanded a consistent labeling scheme to make on-screen prompts match in games with legacy support.

EDIT: To explain better, because people honestly still sound confused about how the touchpads work and feel (and because a number of people parrot incorrect inferences about the way the touchpads feel based off of visual inspection -- I.e. "the pad can't be used for fighting games very well"):

qTzQxdU.jpg

The two touchpads are actually two dish-shaped giant buttons that physically depress. They have the throw of an average playstation or xbox or nintendo or sega controller button, to the touch, when you depress them, they feel like giant, concave buttons in the center of the controller where your thumbs rest. The surface of these buttons is a capacitive touchpad, meaning that these two buttons can tell where your fingers are on the button.

These two buttons are attached to powerful and advanced actuators that provide haptic feedback. Most people don't fully understand what haptic feedback is - the most complex haptic feedback that most people have felt is rumble from a controller or phone, which is blunt and not directed. The haptic feedback in these touchpads is much more advanced - in addition to being able to set duration and strength, you can also set sound and direction of feedback. So, where in a typical controller you feel blunt rumble - a sort of blob of haptic feedback that just occurs in every direction in your hand - these touchpads give you localized rumble that only each thumb feels, and that rumble has direction.

There appears to be a lot of myth and misunderstanding about how this haptic feedback feels to the user. I'll admit my previous vocabulary in talks (not necessarily on this board) may not have conveyed the sensation these cause well enough, so I'll be more deliberate with my words. You don't feel buttons or shapes with this haptic feedback - haptic feedback won't make you believe there is a smaller, circular button residing in the top portion of the right touchpad where the triangle button would reside on a playstation pad. Haptic feedback isn't that advanced yet.

What haptic feedback can make you feel, however, is inertia and motion. You've no doubt heard people lament about how good the right touchpad feels as a replacement for the mouse, because when they swipe their finger across it, they feel like the pad is spinning in that direction. They can feel it spinning, they hear it spinning. Their thumb feels like it's in a trackball, and that trackball is rotating in the socket. That's the direction of the haptic feedback. By vibrating localized portions of the pad in concert, and moving the areas that are vibrating, it can simulate the feeling of inertia. Given the dished shape of the pads, this translates, in our heads, to the feeling of controlling a ball. We can spin the ball in any direction we wish, and we'll swear we're feeling a physical ball spinning in the direction our thumb swiped.

Haptic feedback is not the solution to making you feel like you're depressing a button. But the good news is that the thing this haptic feedback is occurring on is a button. A large one that takes up the amount of space that d-pad or analog stick would. Even better is that the same effect we use to make us believe we are spinning a ball with our thumbs can be clubbed and shortened to feel like we are rocking a ball around a pivot. Doing so is very simple to do, and valve's own legacy support already includes this. When I move my thumb the left side of the left pad, I feel like the pad is rocking to the left. I feel like it's shifted and now my thumb is slightly tilting the entire pad to the left, like a rocker d-pad would feel.

Now here's the current problem - valve's legacy support accepts input upon contact with the touchpad. In other words, it ignores the fact that they are buttons, and instead activates upon contact. So, while I still can feel the pad rocking in place, it's too slippery and I can't rest my thumb anywhere without recording input.

The good news is that A) valve has a mode in beta where you need to press the button to activate input, turning the touchpad into a large, physical d-pad that they demoed to the super meatboy devs, and B) devs like myself are making the preference for an activator switch heard and, at least recently on the steamOS dev forum, they said they're working on bringing such a mode to public.

To conclude, when you combine the need to physically depress the button to activate input, combined with the ability to make it feel as though you are rocking the touchpad around a central pivot, along with the physical groves on the touchpad that you use to orient yourself, you find functionality that is as good as any d-pad out there. I know, I've tried it myself. I've done tests using this setup in native mode. It honestly works.

Anybody bitching because those 4 buttons in a diamond formation, labeled up, down, left, and right, won't feel like, say, the sega saturn d-pad and thus won't be suitable for platformers or fighting games or whatever are missing the point. You already HAVE a d-pad of that quality right in front of you. This stuff is still in development, that's why it's not in stores right now. The kinda of kinks I'm describing are precisely why it's in beta, so they can be ironed out by launch.

tl;dr: the touchpads can actually be superb d-pads, and everything you want the 4 buttons to be.

krejlooc said:
Okay, so the track pads do an excellent job of emulating a trackball(making them decent to good mouse replacements) and rocker-style d-pads. How well do they emulate an analog stick or the classic 4-button diamond? If they do both of those things well, combined with anything they can do that more traditional controller bits can't, I say the dual track pads positioned at the thumbs' natural resting position sounds like a great step forward in controller design. You have all of the major thumb controls in one, can shift to the pair of thumb controls most relevant to the game or even on the fly, and you minimize the need to move the thumb to a secondary thumb control. Not to mention that you can swap direction controls and action buttons without needed a non-standard controller.

well, by virtue of the touchpads knowing where your finger is on the dish itself, it can approximate an analog value from the center. Meaning the controller knows how far away from the pivot you're pressing down. In that regard, it can operate like an analog input, but it certainly doesn't feel like an analog stick. It's hard to explain what it feels like since it's not pressure sensitive either. It's really unlike any analog controller I've worked before. If you notice, the touchpad is separated into 3 rings by ridges - these "zones" can be defined within their legacy controller mapping software to correspond to different values. So like, the inner ring might be walking speed, where the outter ring is running speed. You can do things like assign modifiers to different zones to simulate analog movement from keyboard presses too - doing stuff like making shift be held when you press on the outter ring so that you'll be running in most PC games.

As for simulating a 4-button diamond... it could do that, I guess, the same way it can imitate a d-pad. but it's not very optimal to work like that, because you don't feel the shape and feel of each button as I explained before. It's possible, but I don't think many people will choose to have it work like that. With Sonic all-stars racing transformed, for example, I don't map anything to the touch portion of the right pad, and instead just use it like a single, huge button (think the gamecube controller and it's A button) and rely on the shoulder/trigger/paddle buttons on the back.

Something I guess I forgot to go into detail about in my last post is that there are two modes for the controller - legacy mode, which has the controller acting like a gamepad/keyboard/mouse, and this is the mode everyone has tried and talks about. In this mode, the point is to make those touchpads act like conventional controllers, which it does to varying degrees of success. The other mode, that people don't talk about as much (because there is no commercial app that fully explores it yet) is native mode. In this mode, the controller is a blank slate, and you program your game to use the controller any way you want. This is a much more involved control pad than a traditional controller, in that it can operate in ways unlike any other controller before it. I've said several times in this thread that I've done tests with HL2VR using the steam controller trying out different input methods. My favorite method I've put together so far is a mix of classic doom-style mouse-walking controls and a push-to-activate d-pad. That is to say, when you touch the left pad (but don't press the buttons) then your touch is interpretated as relative input. Meaning, when I put my thumb on the touchpad, that becomes an origin, and when I swipe my thumb across the pad left, I move left X number of small steps, where X is the number of "clicks" my thumb has moved (clicks being the term people are using to describe the sensation of the haptic feedback to gauge input - when you "spin" the touchpad, you hear/feel clicks as it moves, not unlike the center wheel on a mouse). That sounds confusing if you haven't held the controller, but it's intuitive. That sort of control is used for walking speed -- using the touchpad as a d-pad as I described in my previous post makes you run in the cardinal/diagonal direction you press.

It's a control scheme unlike any other I've used and it feels really good. In the heat of battle, you find yourself able to make very fine corrections to your position, while normal walking feels like any other d-pad. I've relayed my experiments with other developers on the steamOS dev boards and sent my suggestions to valve in the last survey. I've heard of other people coming up with similarly radical controller implimentations in native mode - I heard one guy who was using each touch pad as a left/right foot control, where you slide your thumbs down to take steps, each slide down representing X amount of distance traveled where X is the number of clicks passed. Stuff like that.

I really don't think people will get this controller until they hold it in their hands, and until enough people have developed with it to figure out what works and what doesn't.

As for the arrow buttons, if the track pads emulate a d-pad as well as described, if your using the arrow buttons, the trackpad is probably being used as an analog stick replacement and the game is using the arrow buttons for something that doesn't require a proper d-pad.

correct, that's indeed how it's meant to work.

Still, it sounds like Valve's dual track-pad design might end up being far more versatile than the dual analog design that has been the standard for the last decade and a half.

It's pretty versatile given the amount of freedom you have to make it work in a variety of ways. The use of each pad might vary greatly from game to game. For aiming, it's vastly superior to an analog stick due to the fundamental ways they work (analog sticks control the acceleration of a camera's movement, the touchpads set a position for the cameras to actually reside at) and really approaches the usability of a mouse. To give an example of how different and empowering the controller is, I played DOTA2 the other day with it. DOTA, with a gamepad, from my couch. I wasn't awesome or anything, of course, but it was fully playable. Such a game isn't really playable at all with a conventional gamepad unless you want to get destroyed. And this is an actiony-genre that console gamers would like, not something like Civ as often cited.

Sounds great, Cooljerk. The way the haptic feedback works sounds pretty awesome, actually, the idea of feeling like you're rolling a trackball or rocking a pad in any direction makes me grin. I REALLY want to try out the controller at some point.

I look at the thread over at NeoGAF, and I see more than a few people either confused by the design of the 'd-pad' or saying "why isn't this a traditional controller, this is dumb" without even thinking that, perhaps, that's what the 360 pad is for. Valve making the same damn thing would be redundant. Innovation sometimes requires throwing out aspects that some people would consider essential to the thing you're working on, in order to see if you can't replace it with something better. Valve making a dual-stick controller would be pointless. Working out the kinks is what the beta is for, but the 'traditional' front button layout and shoulder buttons are about the only traditional thing Valve are gonna be doing with the controller, everything else, they're trying something new, and I applaud them for it. The dualshock design should not be the be-all and end-all of controller design.

I don't really like the word innovation because, these days, it has certain connotations. People describe innovation as inherently superior, a novel way of doing stuff that automatically assumes improvement. Hence why you'll see the opposite sentiment being thrown about as "innovation for the sake of innovation." It feels like a marketing term at this point.

I don't think valve necessarily sees themselves innovating. I think they see their controller more as refinement and redesign. It's a controller with two goals in mind - one, to take keyboard and mice and refit them in a way such that they work on a gamepad as smoothly and seemlessly as possible, and two, to build a new style of controller that offers more methods of input than a traditional controller with greater fidelity. A lot of the requests people make about changing the left pad to an analog stick or whatever stems from their desire to make legacy mode feel better, without taking into account what those sorts of changes would do to native mode. Going forward, valve wants games made with native mode in mind, so the faults this has in legacy mode aren't necessarily driving the design.

orava

The SteamOS portion has always felt like a very public hedge against the collapse of the current Windows-based status quo. It won't end up being of any use to Valve in the near future.

Well i'm not really against MS or Windows but i'd really like to see Linux become even more popular in PC gaming circles. I think it's a bit weird how accepting people are of the current PC gaming OS situation when the usual response is to be negative towards ms. Then when steam machines and steamos is brought up, many people "don't see the point" or are just happy with their current setup.

There is a phrase for this type of feedback loop in development, "release early, release often." It's done to gather mass feedback on a product. Why did valve announce these things early? So that they could gather feedback - as they've done for a year now - to make changes to all these products, again as they've done for a year now - so they wouldn't have the faults people identify at public launch.

I understand. However for a change I wouldn't mind if they did show full-baked things. Things that are robust and built on a solid foundation instead of iterating and potentially bloating it.

A) The potential of china compared to the current "majority of steam customers" is tiny. Should china ever mass-adopt Steam, they would become the majority of steam customers.

Is Steam even a thing there? I know Dota is being published by Perfect World and is running on a separate client.

B) The benefits china sees in SteamOS and OpenGL are not limited to that market. There is an enormous number of people gaming on outdated platforms even within the US. Extrapolate the purpose of VOGL to future direct X - do you think everyone will mass-upgrade to Windows 10? If not, then you've just identified another benefit with local appeal.

Is DX12 going to be Win10 exclusive? What about OGL4.x then? Are Valve planning to sit that out till OGL Next? It's fine to think of low-end, outdated HW, but I also want advancements.

You highlight several negative opinions specifically in the OP, meanwhile my own hands-on, technical experiences with the controller and OS are buried within threads you linked. You should strive to be objective.

Fair enough. I'll highlight that part. I only have links to Candescence's posts though, before you were accepted. I do remember you talking about X360 button functions in SteamOS before, but I won't find those posts.

Krejlooc

Banned
I understand. However for a change I wouldn't mind if they did show full-baked things. Things that are robust and built on a solid foundation instead of iterating and potentially bloating it.

Bloating it? I run steamOS on my steam machine, it updates just about every week. The thing isn't bloated. How do you even come to that fear?

Is Steam even a thing there? I know Dota is being published by Perfect World and is running on a separate client.

Valve is planning a push into china. You can download Steam in china currently, but it hasn't been their focus. They used Russia as a test market to figure out a strategy into china. It's their next area of focus.

Is DX12 going to be Win10 exclusive?

yes

What about OGL4.x then?

Presumably not.

Are Valve planning to sit that out till OGL Next? It's fine to think of low-end, outdated HW, but I also want advancements.

Uh, VOGL works currently. And while OpenGL Next will be a break from legacy support, that doesn't mean things from old OpenGL won't work in OpenGL Next. The break refers to the workflow in the opposite direction - OpenGL Next stuff won't work with old OpenGL. Presumably they can keep VOGL going for both APIs.

Fair enough. I'll highlight that part. I only have links to Candescence's posts though, before you were accepted. I do remember you talking about X360 button functions in SteamOS before, but I won't find those posts.

I inlined them into a post above.

I typically don't post in Steam Controller threads anymore.

Well, releasing stuff in half-baked state seems to be the industry norm
Kappa
. I thought even their older games get occasional updates? I mean it sure sucks that some bugs go unfixed but compared to how other devs handle their older games it's far better.

The result of them trying to announce or release things in a 'proper' state is what they're doing with ep 3. One one side you have people whining about them announcing stuff to early or in half-baked state and on the other side you have people whining about them not releasing or announcing stuff early enough.

Yes, they do update even HLs occasionally and sometimes break those games. There has also been a lot of complains by the Source community, the way apparently Valve breaks it with updates etc

But the thing with HL3 is we know it exists. Gabe has alluded to it multiple times, there have been leaks. I mean at this point the silence is just annoying people, especially when Valve's messaging isn't even clear.

I'm more curious on Source Engine 2.

Here's an early peek.

Crzy1

I think a lot of the vision for Steam machines was designed around a Maxwell APU that would be built on a 20nm process. Any of the boxes that were shown off before would simply be small form factor PCs that would ship with SteamOS and/or Windows preinstalled. A lot of the driver work that Nvidia has been doing has been marginalizing the CPU in the gaming ecosystem, I'm sure they're planning to build their own ready-to-play systems and partnering with Valve to launch a new ecosystem (a lot of back scratching going on between the two of them) would keep licensing costs to a minimum for both of them.

That being said, a Maxwell APU and anything GPU related on a 20nm process got delayed pretty much indefinitely or at least into 2015 (thanks Apple), so I can understand them going dark on the whole thing. They can either keep quiet or explain the delay and turn a bunch of message board speculation into truth and give away their game plan.

As far as the controller is concerned, I don't think it was focus group testing well, so they probably took it back to the drawing board. Seems like a neat idea, but a lot of what they were doing with the track pads seemed very unintuitive when compared to thumbsticks. I can applaud them for a neat idea, but I don't think I would have liked to try and play anything with it.

Bloating it? I run steamOS on my steam machine, it updates just about every week. The thing isn't bloated. How do you even come to that fear?

Umm the Steam client itself or Source (like TF2)? :p Both built on outdated, creaky foundations which get constantly built on, instead of swapping that foundation out for something more solid. At least we know S2 is coming, though how much its foundation is new is a good question seeing mapper impressions.

Uh, VOGL works currently. And while OpenGL Next will be a break from legacy support, that doesn't mean things from old OpenGL won't work in OpenGL Next. The break refers to the workflow in the opposite direction - OpenGL Next stuff won't work with old OpenGL. Presumably they can keep VOGL going for both APIs.

But VOGL is tied to 3.3 currently and the dev said it might not support 4.x based on what devs want. So Valve doesn't think 4.x is important? Is 3.3 enough for DX11 things? Like I know (I made the thread after all :p) that when 4.5 got introduced it got a DX11 emulation feature.

I typically don't post in Steam Controller threads anymore.

Yeah, you said so because people were acting too ignorant (like me now) :p

All I wanted from a Steam Machine was an affordable small form factor machine, with a UI for gaming and access to my Steam library.

I bought an Alpha and have all of that.

alienware-alpha.jpg

REALLY don't see why Valve is insisting on a custom OS just to play games. I wish they'd just stick to evolving the big picture mode instead.

How are windows updates, video card driver updates, random stuff like windows firewall pop ups and all of the things that potentially break the experience handled with that machine in particular?

dracula_x

We've already seen "tons of stuff about Steam Machines" at CES 2013 (remember Xi3 Piston?) and CES 2014. And nothing is changed since then.

JoseJX

I look on Steam and see 800 games for Linux and a whole host of those are mid-tier up to AAA.

I can't imagine anyone thought that would happen even two years ago. That is a success in my mind regardless of whatever else happens.

This is exactly how I feel. Without the big SteamOS annoucement, and better, Valve's standardization on the "Steam Runtime", Linux gaming would have been stuck with the occasional Humble Bundle.

I'm not sure that Valve realized just how much work the drivers needed, but the rate of change and the general improvement has been unreal.

Even if Steam Machines don't work in this current incarnation, it's jumpstarted Linux gaming to a pretty good place.

GoaThief

The silence regarding the controller is part of my reasoning to step back from PC gaming. It was (and is, I guess) something I'd been clamouring for and yet I couldn't get my hands on it.

Patience became frustration, nothing seems to be happening any more and one can only assume the project is dead. I don't feel like rewarding Valve for dangling the juiciest carrot in front of me and then pretending nothing happened, I can't even remember the last time I bought something on Steam. Left 4 Dead 3 may tempt me back but until the situation changes I cannot see me following suit. It's a shame because there's nothing else like it out there.

orava

The silence regarding the controller is part of my reasoning to step back from PC gaming. It was (and is, I guess) something I'd been clamouring for and yet I couldn't get my hands on it.

Patience became frustration, nothing seems to be happening any more and one can only assume the project is dead. I don't feel like rewarding Valve for dangling the juiciest carrot in front of me and then pretending nothing happened, I can't even remember the last time I bought something on Steam. Left 4 Dead 3 may tempt me back but until the situation changes I cannot see me following suit. It's a shame because there's nothing else like it out there.

That's pretty flimsy reasoning tbh. But good luck!

GoaThief

That's pretty flimsy reasoning tbh. But good luck!
Foiled my plans for t2/t3 Quake duels without a mouse and keyboard on a TV, although it is tempting to hack apart one of my 360 controllers and fit a trackball. Damn them. ;-)

Don't get me wrong though, it's not the only reason - I think the "new" consoles are quite fabulous which helps a whole lot.

M3d10n

I just want a controller that can perform basic m+kb functions so I don't need to reach for my mouse whenever I launch games that aren't 100% controller compatible in Big Picture and doing some basic navigation in Windows if something goes wrong.

I've been using XBStart, but it sometimes doesn't properly detect when Big Picture is running and brings up the start menu instead.

I look on Steam and see 800 games for Linux and a whole host of those are mid-tier up to AAA.

I can't imagine anyone thought that would happen even two years ago. That is a success in my mind regardless of whatever else happens.

Also, like it or not, I don't think the Linux initiative was ever for people (like me) who see a $100 OS as little more than a petty inconvenience. For some people (read: poor people in developing countries), that's a huge burden and may make getting into PC gaming nearly impossible (especially if all they want and have money for is to play f2p games like Dota).

Agreed. I am pretty much booting less and less into my Windows install these days and currently have quite a sizeable backlog that I can play on Linux. And the fact that even more games are coming makes me very excited, so I'm glad Valve got the ball rolling.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I hope they scrap the whole project. Maybe get back to making games.

They shouldn't scrap it, in all honesty. If they actually get off their asses and make a big push for Linux, it'd at least be a serious contender versus Windows domination on PC's and the OS landscape since people could at least go "hey there's a free OS so why upgrade Windows?"
Of course, Office Apps like OpenOffice/whatever they're calling it now needs to get off their asses and do shit to make it look like MS Office/polish it to the level of MS Office

The thing is, it seems since Window Sex (9/"10") is coming out and taking a step off the Metro/walled-garden ledge, Gabe has gotten less pissed at MS and that's where the Linux push has died out. At least, IMO. I have no clue if that's really what happened or what is going on with Linux, but it seems that after MS's attempt at being Apple failed, Valve isn't as worried?

Dolor

The thing is, it seems since Window Sex (9/"10") is coming out and taking a step off the Metro/walled-garden ledge, Gabe has gotten less pissed at MS and that's where the Linux push has died out. At least, IMO. I have no clue if that's really what happened or what is going on with Linux, but it seems that after MS's attempt at being Apple failed, Valve isn't as worried?

I think this is the biggest reason they aren't pushing as hard recently. Windows 10 looks like a step in the right direction along a number of fronts (potentially cheaper, better gaming with DX12, and a return to the focus on the desktop and being more "open").

Why should Valve keep pushing Linux as much when MS is already giving them everything they wanted?

SerTapTap

I'm sure Steam OS is living at a nice ranch with Half Life 3 and they get lots of time to run around and play with other games and operating systems.

Was hyped for all this, now I'm just happy with Big Picture.

Valve is slowly becoming just "the guys who make Steam" for me, and nothing more unfortunately.

I really wish they'd refocus their efforts on making Big Picture flawless. It's good, but it has some flaws:

- it's fairly laggy when navigating a big library
- They recently stopped listing Partial Controller Support games in big picture. This is kind of a good thing if it encourages devs to go properly do controller support, but it's also kinda annoying to find games I KNOW have controller support. I'd like to be able to manually mark a game as having support.
- If you launch a non-native res fullscreen game with multiple monitors, the Big Picture window shifts over by however many pixels the difference was. I basically have to close and reopen Big Picture every time I play a fullscreen 480p pixel art game, which I have a few of
-UI flow is occasionally very awkward, sometimes forcing you to use the back button repeatedly instead of just being able to go "up" a level
- It would be awesome if it acted as it's own xinput wrapper/button remapper. This is a feature that sounds like Steam OS will have but Big Picture won't.

Exuro

- It would be awesome if it acted as it's own xinput wrapper/button remapper. This is a feature that sounds like Steam OS will have but Big Picture won't.
Why would you think this? It goes against everything Valve does and says.

We're going to have to wait until GDC to see where they are with the projects and if they've made changes to their original vision.

I am a huge believer in the potential of the Steam Machines, which is why I am so critical of Valve's stance so far. I believe that Steam Machines can become a legitimate console competitor and I believe SteamOS is exxactly what PC gaming needs to escape from Microsoft's chokehold. I truly hope that Valve are is still serious about the whole thing and that they knowingly announced it way too early in order to get the ball rolling on Linux game support. I don't mind waiting for the Steam Controller and I don't mind waiting for a real Steam Machines push instead of the travesty that was last year's CES.

I do mind that the early reveal and the multiple revisions of the Steam Controller very obviously hurt the public image of the whole project. Lots of people were excited at first, now a lot more are sceptical and hesitant. That can be fixed in time, it's not a big deal. What needs to change immediately is the apparent free reign that manufacturers have to include whatever kind of hardware they want in the Steam Machines. This is a HUGE mistake and it will seriously undermine the goal pf making PC gaming more friendly to the masses.

What Valve need to do is go back to the initial plan as layed out by Gabe Newell: Three tiers of Steam Machines, the first one for streaming and indie games, the second one the console competitor, the third one balls-out power. Now we have a mess of various Steam Machines with wildy different specs and prices. There is no inherent logic to the price and spec scaling either: The Alienware Alpha is cheaper and more powerful than Scan's Steam Machine, Steam Machines with Intel HD graphics are more expensive than machines with dedicated cards and so on. This is a recipe for disaster, for a true catastrophe once people start buying these machines and find out that they can't play half of the games on the Steam Store. This. Needs. To. Change. Now.

The PC market is ready to expand to the mainstream. It only needs a 'hero' device, a Google Nexus, one streamlined easy to use PC gaming device that will reliably run all current and future games for at least 4-5 years. Valve has to set a baseline spec and force every manufacturer to adhere to it.

I just want a controller that can perform basic m+kb functions so I don't need to reach for my mouse whenever I launch games that aren't 100% controller compatible in Big Picture and doing some basic navigation in Windows if something goes wrong.

I've been using XBStart, but it sometimes doesn't properly detect when Big Picture is running and brings up the start menu instead.

That controller would be Dualshock 4. The drivers at http://ds4windows.com/ lets you map the touchpad to the mouse cursor. Pressing the touch pad is a click, and pressing near the bottom right corner of the touch pad is a right click.

npa189

2014 was a pretty awful year for Valve. Armchair predictions here, but I think they are so insulated by their hoard of cash they have lost touch with reality. The buzz behind these projects is all but dead. They could salvage the controller but they need to actually ship it, stop tinkering, put two thumbsticks on it for all I care, I just want a wireless xinput controller for the PC. As for actually making games? I will be shocked if we see another announcement of anything ever again from them. Radio silence for an entire year doesn't bode well.

Olli128

The OS seems like a waste of time, the controller will be cool if it lets me play Civ 5 on my TV but I'm not convinced it wont suck, but anything that means more choice in the HTPC form factor is a good thing.

pelican

Perhaps there would have been momentum for SteamOS during the heights of the negativity towards Windows 8, but we are now heading towards Win 10 and dx12.

REALLY don't see why Valve is insisting on a custom OS just to play games. I wish they'd just stick to evolving the big picture mode instead.

Here's a hint: At Steam Dev Days this year, there were two workshops on OpenGL development, and four workshops on Linux development.

They want to cut out Microsoft in every way they possibly can.

Top Bottom