• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at the current public state of SteamOS, Steam Controller and Steam Machines

With good marketing steam machines could be a serious competition for Sony & Microsoft consoles.

A advantage would be the variable price. The "graphics gamer" with the more expensive steam machines would get much better graphics than PS4/One. And the higher price of the hardware would quickly relativized because PC games are often much cheaper than their console counterparts (and you could play games on this long after next generation consoles are out)

Qassim

I tried SteamOS in the very first available public builds, and I was impressed then.

On Windows, the Big Picture experience can still be a bit janky. It's not Valve's fault, they have to work within the limitations of Windows. But SteamOS allows them to tailor so much of the experience to playing games, that it all just seems to flow better. Transitioning into and out of games is perfectly smooth, the notification system is really quite cool, and the fact it is built from the ground up to be used with a controller is exactly what is required for a living room based system. After playing with SteamOS, it became immediately apparent why this would bring advantages to gamers, maybe not now, maybe not even in 3 or 4 years, but the potential is there to bring something that Windows cannot.

I think SteamOS is a long-term project, not one that will be their dominant system in the very near future, but one that will slowly mature until one day it becomes a significant portion of the Steam user base.

Sendou

Let's see here. Steam Controller is obviously something that needs to happen. It's a big piece in the puzzle of truly bringing PC gaming to living room. Looking at the top 20 games by player count on Steam right now 9 of them are impossible to play with a standard controller and the rest (not counting Isaac perhaps) would potentially be better with a Steam Controller. That's why I feel they absolutely need to put out a Steam Controller. I don't think they can hurry it out either. They have just one chance to get it right. It's not like with software where they can patch out the problems. The audience needs to be convinced right away that it is a viable option.

While Steam Controller is the most important part of the three I still feel like SteamOS is very important in long term too. Just think about it. As it stands Valve's multi-billion business rests on Microsoft. That's not a position I would want to be in if I was Valve. In short-term I think improving Big Screen Mode is more important but for long term they have to make Linux work. I'm also sure that SteamOS can be a better basis for gaming than Windows will ever be. It's just something they need to keep working on.

Steam Machines are just combination of the two. It's the least important piece of this puzzle. Sure when SteamOS is the real deal then we can start having very console-like PC's but I don't think we will be there next year. Maybe not even during this decade.

Somewhat separate issue is Valve's lack of communication with the community. I have no idea why they insist going at it like that. It's dismissive of the community and it will hurt their products. They can't just develop these in bubble when they claim they're doing the opposite. I don't ask a lot but when you ask community to participate (and Valve does that a lot) then it's a two-way street.

Overall I don't feel negative at all about Valve's initiative here. It's something that needs to happen and Valve is still the company with highest chances to make it happen.

Perhaps there would have been momentum for SteamOS during the heights of the negativity towards Windows 8, but we are now heading towards Win 10 and dx12.

People feeling abouts Windows seem to go in waves. I guess with Windows 11 people will sing a different tune? XP to Vista. 7 to 8. I don't see that cycle ending that easily.

Bastardo

In my opinion Valve will shift focus from Steam "Fat Machines" to something more like Steam "Thin Clients" for the transiiton period.

This could then for example be:
1.) Big windows rig somewhere in the room for all games, which require a mouse. Small HDMI stick on the TV to stream (console-port) games to. (Intel will bring Atom x86 sticks, which will make this possible).

2.) Family of four with one SLI gaming PC in the cellar. Kids can play games on their thin clients. (Not possible currently, because of the 1 Account - 1 Gamer model).

And I very much like them not pushing steam machines until they are ready for primetime.

Maybe someone here can clue me in. I have a partition available and I want to install SteamOS but without fucking up the rest of the system, ie dual boot. Is it possible to do so?

Exuro

I tried SteamOS in the very first available public builds, and I was impressed then.

On Windows, the Big Picture experience can still be a bit janky. It's not Valve's fault, they have to work within the limitations of Windows. But SteamOS allows them to tailor so much of the experience to playing games, that it all just seems to flow better. Transitioning into and out of games is perfectly smooth, the notification system is really quite cool, and the fact it is built from the ground up to be used with a controller is exactly what is required for a living room based system. After playing with SteamOS, it became immediately apparent why this would bring advantages to gamers, maybe not now, maybe not even in 3 or 4 years, but the potential is there to bring something that Windows cannot.

I think SteamOS is a long-term project, not one that will be their dominant system in the very near future, but one that will slowly mature until one day it becomes a significant portion of the Steam user base.
What's different about the notification system?
Their modified xserver was extremely smooth the last time I messed around with it which was a long time ago which made me a little excited.

Khaz

Thank you. That's alot of new info for me. Im really looking forward to the controller.

Don't get your hopes up, the controller have been radically changed due to stupid user feedback. It now sports a left stick and four diamond-shape face buttons on the right.

WillyFive

REALLY don't see why Valve is insisting on a custom OS just to play games. I wish they'd just stick to evolving the big picture mode instead.

SteamOS is the absolute best thing about all of this, because it means a concerted effort to move Windows out of the equation.

Without having to buy Windows for your gaming PC or be included in the cost of a Steambox, PC gaming will get even more cheaper. And sicne a gaming-focused OS will be designed for gaming and not be a one-for-all OS like Windows, it means it can take up less resources and be better for performance for games. Not only that, more work being done on competing OSes and it being spread towards a larger audience means PC games will start coming out for more than just Windows and more operating systems.

It's the best for everyone.

bsod

Banned
As a Steambox tester, all I can say is that the controller is/was horrible. I haven't had any communication from Valve to close to a year so I have no idea what's going on other than squashing bugs.

kodecraft

Indeed, say what you want about MS, but the way in which they are doing W10 with the feedback app and actually seemingly listening to people in how things look/handle shows to me that giving MS a heads up was a bad idea. By the time Steam OS comes along, Windows 10 will be out and will likely be just gravy for a gamer - leaving little to no reason to even bother installing SteamOS.

Like most (I'd assume), the only thing I'm interested in now is the controller - as I'm a living room PC gamer.

This.

Krejlooc's description reignited my hype for the Steam Controller. God I hope Valve knock it out of the park, I'm buying one as soon as they become available.

Khaz

As a Steambox tester, all I can say is that the controller is/was horrible. I haven't had any communication from Valve to close to a year so I have no idea what's going on other than squashing bugs.

Give it to me if you can't appreciate it.

Maybe someone here can clue me in. I have a partition available and I want to install SteamOS but without fucking up the rest of the system, ie dual boot. Is it possible to do so?

I think that feature has been in since February. They incorporated it from Stephenson's Rocket, a community-made installer. Another one called VaporOS got released today too. You might want to take a look at those too.

Don't get your hopes up, the controller have been radically changed due to stupid user feedback. It now sports a left stick and four diamond-shape face buttons on the right.

I think both trackpads will stay. They're and their haptic feedback are the main attractions. And Valve really seem to want to keep them.

Have you wrote them anything?

aeolist

Banned
I think that feature has been in since February. They incorporated it from Stephenson's Rocket, a community-made installer. Another one called VaporOS got released today too. You might want to take a look at those too.

this is one of the most exciting things about steamOS to me. the fact that most of it is open-source and forked from existing linux code bases means that they can involve the community in even more ways than before. something like enhanced steam built into the main interface could be just the beginning.

I completely forgot the Steam Controller was a thing.

Just seems like Valve being Valve. Once VR became a thing they probably got excited for that and that became the new hot thing internally leaving Steam OS on the back burner.

Calabi

That's the thing: Valve is privately funded. They don't have to worry nearly as much about quarterly performances as a company that is beholden to shareholders. That's part of why Valve TIme exists, they're not like the other big publishers where they have to meet certain quotas by certain dates.

Now, I bet there's some investors they still answer to, but the pressure isn't really as high. Add in their ridiculously flat structure and you're gonna get some really, really messed up production schedules.

Valve's a weird company, man. So weird.

But they should worry, there completely dependant on another company. Microsoft could do a lot of things to mess up there business. Gabe has already mentioned things to that extent, I guess that's why they are working on the SteamOS at all. But they dont seem committed to it or, to have a clear confident direction with anything. They sit on there arse for too long there's no telling what could happen.

neshcom

Banned
I still don't see how a totally new OS with such a paltry catalogue will win anyone over. Not to console gamers who are getting more indie PC and AAA titles than ever, and not to PC people who already have libraries of games that run fine as-is. It must be a very specific, irregular gamer they're aiming for.
Didn't we get pricing on certain brands of Steam Machines earlier this year and they were hardly competitive?

bsod

Banned
Have you wrote them anything?

They sent out a detailed survey to all testers. I was honest. I don't think the track pads work very well, but that's only one of many problem I've had with it. But they sent out the survey just after they announced the revised controller, so there might be another revision.

They sent out a detailed survey to all testers. I was honest. I don't think the track pads work very well, but that's only one of many problem I've had with it. But they sent out the survey just after they announced the revised controller, so there might be another revision.

You mean the 4 button diamond one or the thumbstick one? Because unofficially the thumbstick one is the newest. Also, I wonder if they're going to send you 300 newer revisions or your role is over.

baterism

One thing that I really hope resulted from SteamOS is Steam Handheld. It might still take several years, but having a dedicated handheld that can play all my Steam library is pretty dreamy. Not streaming of course.

bsod

Banned
You mean the 4 button diamond one or the thumbstick one? Because unofficially the thumbstick one is the newest. Also, I wonder if they're going to send you 300 newer revisions or your role is over.

The survey was sent out just after they announced the one with the thumb stick. My role is probably over considering the lack of communication, but it's Valve so who knows. From my experiences, trying to meld PC games onto a console-like controller just doesn't work. Hopefully they have something up their sleeve, though.

I forgot Steam OS was a thing. I was super into it as well quite a while ago, I just never had a proper PC to try it on. I'm going to dualboot this, how is the Dualshock 4 support?

Exuro

I forgot Steam OS was a thing. I was super into it as well quite a while ago, I just never had a proper PC to try it on. I'm going to dualboot this, how is the Dualshock 4 support?
The steam client has ds4 support. The issue is only a few games support the controller. Valve needs to come out with their controller api so we can use multiple controllers using a single library.

The steam client has ds4 support. The issue is only a few games support the controller. Valve needs to come out with their controller api so we can use multiple controllers using a single library.

Ahh I see. I mean the usual problem I run into using something like DS4Windows is that it just overlays with the Xbox button layout. Would it be similar to, or just non-existent in SteamOS?

paolo11

I already have a Steam Machine that has dual 980gtx sc. Well, without the OS that is.

rgfnaJ9.jpg

Qassim

What's different about the notification system?
Their modified xserver was extremely smooth the last time I messed around with it which was a long time ago which made me a little excited.

They're building into the native notification system things such as AFK matchmaking it seems. It's small, but still quite cool.

But I agree, their custom compositor for SteamOS is quite cool, all the smooth transitions and everything.

I still would want to see a Steam app for Xbox One and PS4. Support buying games from it like on the mobile apps, but also support in-home streaming using the Xbox One controller or Dual Shock 4 as the input.

The PC itself can just be a dumb server somewhere, or kept in the home office. Hell, charge a few bucks for the app if you want, I'd still buy it.

pixlexic

Banned
I still don't see how a totally new OS with such a paltry catalogue will win anyone over. Not to console gamers who are getting more indie PC and AAA titles 9than ever, and not to PC people who already have libraries of games that run fine as-is. It must be a very specific, irregular gamer they're aiming for.
Didn't we get pricing on certain brands of Steam Machines earlier this year and they were hardly competitive?

It's not about one product cycle it's about building it up over time to be a valid alternative to windows for gaming.

Something like that isn't going to happen overnight and will never happen if you don't start somewhere.

xemumanic

The main thing I want from Steam OS is the standards it brings about. Not so much for controllers (the Xbox 360 pad already did most of that), but for other elements, many of which are intangibles. We'll see on the controller front tho. However, Steam OS in and of itself doesn't really provide any new features you don't get via Steam on Windows. Every new feature is there, streaming, music, Big Picture mode, all of it.

What does seem better on Steam OS is the tighter/smoother overall integration of the OS. But that's what happens when you can control all the elements of the equation.

Qassim sums it up well:

On Windows, the Big Picture experience can still be a bit janky. It's not Valve's fault, they have to work within the limitations of Windows. But Steam OS allows them to tailor so much of the experience to playing games, that it all just seems to flow better. Transitioning into and out of games is perfectly smooth, the notification system is really quite cool, and the fact it is built from the ground up to be used with a controller is exactly what is required for a living room based system. After playing with Steam OS, it became immediately apparent why this would bring advantages to gamers, maybe not now, maybe not even in 3 or 4 years, but the potential is there to bring something that Windows cannot.

I think Steam OS is a long-term project, not one that will be their dominant system in the very near future, but one that will slowly mature until one day it becomes a significant portion of the Steam user base.

I think it's up to Valve to address these issues in Steam for Windows as best they can, and not leave them to stagnate to then point out in unfair comparisons, like they did with OpenGL vs DirectX when they first went down this route. What I mean by that is they compared a pretty much untouched version of whatever game running on DirectX (9?) vs a newly updated OpenGL build, and almost no one even bothered to mention they also did the same for Windows, (which was much further down in the article) and the performance gains were about the same there.

I personally care very little about using Steam OS in and of itself, and I think it'll be relegated to people who want to get into PC gaming for the better graphics, mods, everything else that PC gaming can provide, but without the complication. Something that's console-simple.

Everyone else will just run Steam on their OS of choice. Which too is a good point, Mac OS and Linux users are getting more games than ever. Not so much because of Steam OS, but because the whole movement isn't just about the OS or the controller or Steam Machines, but also about running games on more than just Windows. I personally don't care about that either, but "a rising tide lifts all boats".

Qassim

I think it's up to Valve to address these issues in Steam for Windows as best they can, and not leave them to stagnate to then point out in unfair comparisons, like they did with OpenGL vs DirectX when they first went down this route. What I mean by that is they compared a pretty much untouched version of whatever game running on DirectX (9?) vs a newly updated OpenGL build, and almost no one even bothered to mention they also did the same for Windows, (which was much further down in the article) and the performance gains were about the same there.

I personally care very little about using Steam OS in and of itself, and I think it'll be relegated to people who want to get into PC gaming for the better graphics, mods, everything else that PC gaming can provide, but without the complication. Something that's console-simple.

Everyone else will just run Steam on their OS of choice. Which too is a good point, Mac OS and Linux users are getting more games than ever. Not so much because of Steam OS, but because the whole movement isn't just about the OS or the controller or Steam Machines, but also about running games on more than just Windows. I personally don't care about that either, but "a rising tide lifts all boats".

The problem is Valve cannot modify Windows in such a way that gets rid of things like UAC not being controller friendly, or transitioning between desktop and game being a bit janky, or DirectX dependencies requiring an install check every time you install a new game, etc.

On their own custom OS they can ensure everything, from top to bottom, is a good experience with nothing but a controller. Big Picture mode on Windows seems very unlikely to get that far just due to hard limitations that potentially aren't possible to work around for a third party developer.

Give me that controller, and I'm happy. I wanna be able to sit on the couch and play a game of Civ without having my keyboard and mouse on my lap.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
REALLY don't see why Valve is insisting on a custom OS just to play games. I wish they'd just stick to evolving the big picture mode instead.

Because they don't like Microsoft's control over their OS. Microsoft and Windows is just an obstacle that Valve has to nagivate around to get a lot of their stuff working or try to deliver the experience they want their customers to have.

All I wanted from a Steam Machine was an affordable small form factor machine, with a UI for gaming and access to my Steam library.

I bought an Alpha and have all of that.

alienware-alpha.jpg

Everyone knows that SteamOS was Gabe's attempt to up-stage Microsoft and attempt to show that they can do gaming without Windows.

Haven't been impressed so far and I stopped playing with the SteamOS beta's awhile ago.

Valve needs to focus, abandon the project and get back to making games. Pretty much every vendor that was on-board with the Steam Machine has pushed it with Windows installed instead.

Qassim

Everyone knows that SteamOS was Gabe's attempt to up-stage Microsoft and attempt to show that they can do gaming without Windows.

Haven't been impressed so far and I stopped playing with the SteamOS beta's awhile ago.

Valve needs to focus, abandon the project and get back to making games. Pretty much every vendor that was on-board with the Steam Machine has pushed it with Windows installed instead.

Do you seriously believe they've moved their game developers from games onto SteamOS? Do people seriously believe this or is this some kind of joke that I missed?

DevilFox

I had high hopes just for SteamOS, for some reason I thought that Linux could've used the help from a big guy like Steam/Valve. So far it didn't happen.
As the Steam Machine itself, I never believed in its success, not even for a second. Small factor PCs are already a reality and no one needs a branded console-wannabe PC.

Yeah, there are like 30 people working on this (at least that was the number when the Jira leak happened). Not a lot, which lead to internal bandwidth issues as it was pointed out in January. SteamOS/Vogl had like 3 people working on them at some point...

pixlexic

Banned

No way. Let them continue with the project as long as it takes. You will still get your windows games and we will still continue to get closer to and alternative.

Steam Machines was a nice talking point. I honestly think that the conversation was framed wrong from the get go when rumors circulated that Valve was making a "console" which turned out to be quite wrong. Ultimately, it's effectiveness is small. PCs inevitably get smaller over time, no need to make an initiative over it. Plus no OEM is willing to do that $99 streaming HTPC people are truly after because of low profits.

SteamOS actually seems to be pretty great. 800+ games is nothing to scoff at; it's bigger than the PS3's entire library, and Steam has been selling Linux games for under 2 years. Considering how slow Linux was developing as a gaming platform before then, add in GOG/Humble Bundle, and Linux gaming has actually been turning out great thus far.

The Steam Controller is what I want to know most about, since it's the one thing that holds everything else together.

Maybe when all this is... at 1.0 level, they can help give Android the gaming boost they gave Mac/Linux.

Khaz

I still think they should market it as a console. Sure you could build one yourself, or transform your PC into a console. But for the end user, it's a machine you plug on your TV which play games designed for it and its controls. No one said of the Xbox One or the PS4 that they were doomed because they couldn't play games from the previous generation and started with a massive lineup of 10 games. Even if there was a vocal minority criticising the Wiimote, it didn't stop the Wii from destroying the competition sales wise.

Let the Steam Machine be a console. The Linux compatibility, the open source OS, the hardware evolvability, are all nice bonuses for those who know better. But people who don't should buy it like they buy a brand new console. A console with a great potential.

xemumanic

The problem is Valve cannot modify Windows in such a way that gets rid of things like UAC not being controller friendly, or transitioning between desktop and game being a bit janky, or DirectX dependencies requiring an install check every time you install a new game, etc.

On their own custom OS they can ensure everything, from top to bottom, is a good experience with nothing but a controller. Big Picture mode on Windows seems very unlikely to get that far just due to hard limitations that potentially aren't possible to work around for a third party developer.

I get that, and it's what I'm alluding to. But I also think there's some ways that Valve and games developers can reduce some of the jank. It'll never be as good, but there's more than can be done.

Raonak

Banned

Having to deal with extra costs associated with licensing windows. Valve doesn't like Microsoft and the fact they're mostly bound to their OS pisses them off.

Valve want steam to be more than a storefront, rather an entire platform themselves, much like the consoles, where the platform-holders have full control.

It protects valve in the unlikely scenerio that MS ceases development/distribution of traditional windows.

Top Bottom