• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Proposed DS Advertising Strategy: Insane Pipe Dream or Good Idea?

Memles

I'll fully admit that this idea I had, for the most part, was nothing but a pipe dream...but I can also at least explain my reasoning behind it.

From the DS Conference Call earlier today, the general marketing strategy seems to be "Older Gamers now, GBA market later". They know they'll get the GBA Market as time goes on, but the older gamers aren't going to come as easily. The $40 Million will likely be spent trying to do so.

Although not sure on their definition of older gamers, I'm thinking 18-24, if not a little bit broader on both ends. And, when I think 18-24, I think University/College aged students.

In an age where more and more campuses are being equipped with wireless hotspots and other technology centered additions, this to me is an awesome opportunity for Nintendo to take advantage of existing technology and reach out to an age group that general aren't handheld gamers.

If there's two wireless hotspots on a campus, set up Two DS Units in each location. If no one is on the other end, the two play against one another, but if there are four it becomes a battle. Have students at the Campus serve as Nintendo reps, holding tournaments between the two locations, and sell the hell out of the machine. You're reaching out to an important age group, and you could even run it as more of a tour of various Universities, staffed by Nintendo themselves.

Now, mind you, my initial reason for concocting this plan was to convince Nintendo to send me a free DS since I won't be affording one until early next year. But, when I really sat down and thought about it, such an event would reach an age group they want to reach, and create a lot of buzz for the system in the process.

Insane? Thought so.

Sounds like an excellent plan, but it needs some work, and could be better.

Take the abality to connect to people over the internet (if possible this early on) and use it to pit students from rival schools aganist each other. The example here would be set up a DS station here in the union at Florida State University and have another set up at our rival school, the University of Florida. Have students battle each other for school pride.

Sony did this in conjunction with Playboy for SOCOM II.

Memles

StrikerObi said:
Sounds like an excellent plan, but it needs some work, and could be better.

Take the abality to connect to people over the internet (if possible this early on) and use it to pit students from rival schools aganist each other. The example here would be set up a DS station here in the union at Florida State University and have another set up at our rival school, the University of Florida. Have students battle each other for school pride.

Sony did this in conjunction with Playboy for SOCOM II.

If Online was enabled at this point (As there are those who believe it will never be and those holding out for it to be ready at launch) then definitely. A most solid plan.

Chony

Problem is, Nintendo hasn't specified anything online wise, except that it is possible. This sounds like a great idea, and can only imagine all the commotion at my univeristy.

P90

If the DS came bundled with a calender app or PalmOS compatibility, it might be worthwhile to target the over thirty crowd. I'd give my Tungsten to an underling.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
All Nintendo need to do is have a guy in bed looking up at the camera wiht a smirk on his face and a girl curled up against him on either side. Tagline: "Two is always better than one". Then something about the dual screens.

Ok, I'll read the topic now.

Not a bad idea.

Memles

Mama Smurf said:
All Nintendo need to do is have a guy in bed looking up at the camera wiht a smirk on his face and a girl curled up against him on either side. Tagline: "Two is always better than one". Then something about the dual screens.

Cinema trailer...working in all sorts of situations where two is better than one...cut to "One is the Loneliest Number"...but leaving out the "Two can be as bad as one" part.

Top Bottom