• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A self-made billionaire in Texas just gave EACH of his 1,381 employees a $100,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prologue

A Houston company just made all of its employees' Christmas dreams come true after everyone, no matter his or her position or salary, received a $100,000 Christmas bonus.

That's right: All 1,380 employees at Hilcorp, "one the largest privately held oil and natural gas exploration and production companies in the United States," according to KTVU, received the large sum as a thank-you for a job well done.

"It's just a true gift, and I don't think that myself, along with everyone, is not going to give less than 100 percent every day," receptionist Amanda Thompson told the news station.

It comes as no surprise that Hilcorp has been named one of Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For—for the third year in a row.

Thompson told the news station that in 2010, all company employees were given the option of a $50,000 car or $35,000 in cash for meeting a five-year goal.

"It was surreal, it was a dream come true," said Thompson, who added that she plans to keep the money in her bank account for a rainy day.

giphy.gif

http://www.theroot.com/articles/new...s_every_employee_100_000_christmas_bonus.html
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/h...oyees-100000-bonus-jeffery-hildebrand-2015-12

I don't even know what I would do with 100k right now.

A new car is a given... Maybe a nice vacation? And then put the rest in the bank?

I'm sure the holidays got a lot better for all those people. :)

M52B28

Banned
A quick Wikipedia search.

Jeffery Hildebrand
Born 1959
Residence Houston, Texas US
Nationality American
Alma mater University of Texas at Austin
Occupation Founder, Chairman and CEO, Hilcorp Energy Company
Net worth $7 billion (Forbes, as of Oct 18, 2015)[1]

How is that possible?

The Kree

Banned
I like to think that's the kind of billionaire I'd be.

Likewise, but then I remember how I've always wanted a castle with a full golfcourse at the end of which lies a space station that blasts a ship towards Europa upon sinking a ball into the 18th hole.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Holy crap! That's like 115,000,000 million dollars

It's a drop in the bucket for him. That would be like you and I buying a big mac for a homeless guy. But this is the sort of goodwill gesture billionaire CEOs should do. $115,000,000 out of his $7B net worth barely even registers, but man does that extra $100,000 mean so much for his employees.

It's a drop in the bucket for him. That would be like you and I buying a big mac for a homeless guy. But this is the sort of goodwill gesture billionaire CEOs should do. $115,000,000 out of his $7B net worth barely even registers, but man does that extra $100,000 mean so much for his employees.

Bingo.

Kieli

You got issues if that's the first thing that crossed your mind

It's a legitimate issue. It may place these individuals at a higher tax bracket, in which case the pay that they end up taking home may be less than if they were at the lower tax bracket.

1/60th of someone's total worth isn't really a drop in the bucket. It's extremely generous. No need to downplay that.

It's a legitimate issue. It may place these individuals at a higher tax bracket, in which case the pay that they end up taking home may be less than if they were at the lower tax bracket.

Sarcasm meter not working. Please clarify lol

Too bad for you Texas doesn't have income tax!

Federal?

Nokterian

Well goddamn that is a christmas gift the boss networth is 7 billion? Yeah for him it isn't much but good for the employees i wish i could work there even if it is oil and natural gas...

Usobuko

Banned
I'll be conflicted.

At that stage, I'll tend to think the money is better off compunding with suitable investment ventures before a larger charitable payouts to people you want to help / give.

But time isn't on everyone's side, there might be people who really need the aid atm. I hope this guy manage to hunt down people who had once worked for him too but switch or leave for personal reasons not relating to job hops.

1/60th of someone's total worth isn't really a drop in the bucket. It's extremely generous. No need to downplay that.

Yep, networth is a different ballpark than say monthly salary.

Dalek

This is the sort of generosity you don't see in a corporate CEO. That's a man that understands that the success he's enjoyed in life is helped by his employees and appreciates their contributions.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This is the sort of generosity you don't see in a corporate CEO. That's a man that understands that the success he's enjoyed in life is helped by his employees and appreciates their contributions.

Also someone who understands "I already have 7 Billion, literally nothing in my life changes if I give away $100k to each employee - I'm still worth 6.9 billion, there's nothing I could ever fathomably need or want that is accessible at $7B but not at $6.9B. So, it doesn't make a difference for me. But I can change the world for each one of my employees. Why the hell not?"

Apath

It's about 2% of the guy's net worth. That is in no way a "drop in the bucket," and is like buying a Big Mac if you can only afford 50 of them.

This is the dumbest fucking myth. Yes, I am sure that this $100000 will boost them to a tax bracket that makes them pay more that $100000 in taxes next year in addition to whatever they paid this year or whatever. Because that's how math works and math is hard and percentages are even harder.

(If Texas had income tax that is. The myth itself is most likely just there to stop people from asking raises)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom