• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A self-made billionaire in Texas just gave EACH of his 1,381 employees a $100,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a legitimate issue. It may place these individuals at a higher tax bracket, in which case the pay that they end up taking home may be less than if they were at the lower tax bracket.

I'm baffled that there are people out there that still don't understand how progressive tax works.

In short, if you make more, your take home pay is ALWAYS more. You marginal tax rate might be higher if you get into a higher bracket, but only for the portion in that bracket.

E92 M3

I guess depends on the charity but how did you come to that conclusion? These are people with jobs at a very generous company. Charities typically work with people who, well, don't have jobs at very generous companies.

Charities are nice and all, but it's always good to skip the middleman and give directly to the source and it has the secondary affect of increasing productivity. Point I am trying to make is that this is a good boss.

I still don't get your point.

If we are to break down capitalism to a basic definition, all it is is private ownership making as much profit as they can.

What this guy does with his profits does not invalidate that.

I can see your point if he was giving money away that was impacting the companies ability to make as much profit as it potentially could.

It's just that his generosity in no way correlates to "capitalism done right". Me saying that it's capitalism done wrong was probably too glib a way of saying that.

AP90

Wow thats awesome. A drop in the bucket for the billionaire indeed.

Wonder how much he donates to charity now as well. Prob is another bill gates in secret.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Better for the economy than just holding onto it. I'm of the opinion that money, especially those hoarding it, need to get that back in the system.

A lot of people do that in charitable giving annually. Then when you think about the first dollar being more valuable than the last.. Meh.

Good for the employees though, but without knowing the financial situation wholly, no "attaboys" are coming from my direction.

But....why? Paying out $138 million is not going to result in him somehow saving >$138 million. Why the suspicion?

Savitar

For some of those people if not nearly all this must be an incredible boon for them.

Really awesome, more should do this.

Thorgal

It's about 2% of the guy's net worth. That is in no way a "drop in the bucket," and is like buying a Big Mac if you can only afford 50 of them.

True , it is not a drop in the bucket but relative to the size of his wealth it is still pretty insignificant.

for example , if i who only earns an average salary gave every person at our family's Christmas party say , 100€ each i would definitely feel that burned a hole in my wallet .

However , this guy could literally give 50% of his total wealth away and he wont exactly starve or feel it in his wallet .

Are people in this thread really criticizing the guy for not giving enough? Like, the dude just made 1000 peoples' Christmas in a huge way.

GAF if i win the euromillions today I hereby promise that I will give 5 thousand dollars to one gaffer (can't be all or else I get immediately broken)

sarcastor

My Christmas bonus was a brown paper bag filled with candy...

At one of my previous jobs they cancelled the Christmas party and then laid off like %20 of the office. Right after the secret Santa event.

The poor HR lady was crying when she told me to meet with the bosses cause I had organize everyone to pitch in money to buy her a Wii.

Getting $100k is much, much better.

It's a legitimate issue. It may place these individuals at a higher tax bracket, in which case the pay that they end up taking home may be less than if they were at the lower tax bracket.

Lol
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1152620&highlight=

No, its brackets.

For single filers in the USA:
0% Up to $9,275
15% $9,276 to $37,650
25% $37,651 to $91,150
28% $91,151 to $190,150
33% $190,151 to $413,350
35% $413,351 to $415,050
39.6% $415,051 or more

So if you were making $37,650 your income would be taxed as:

First $9,275 at 0%
$9726 - $37,650 at 15%

If you made a $1 more to $37,651 then only that $1 would be taxed at 25%. The income below that is still taxed at 0% and 15%.

bionic77

This guy's a real piece of shit. If I had that much money I'd give at least $101,000 to each employee.
Seriously.

I dropped like 83 cents in the tip jar at Starbucks while I signed 3 petitions against hunger but I did it because it was the right thing to do. Other than this post and a picture n Facebook I wasn't even seeking out attention for this good deed (which comparatively was a higher percentage of my income). Not like this dude who is only doing it for charity.

Lets come together GAF and prove we are all better than this scumbag.

Don't want to be that guy but... That kind of money could like save a couple of lives if invested in people who don't have jobs.

Miles X

Mjöölnir;188853767 said:
Don't want to be that guy but... That kind of money could like save a couple of lives if invested in people who don't have jobs.

Could save thousands of lives in Africa, but at the end of the day this guy has done more for others with this gesture than we ever could. You can't knock it with this kinda BS scenario talk IMO.

He's already given out over one thousand jobs as well I might add.

platocplx

bonuses are taxed seperately. 25% is usually the standard rate.

Mjöölnir;188853767 said:

In my opinion this guy should be sent to jail for not using the money to save lives. He is literally killing people here.

pablito

Mjöölnir;188853767 said:

Yeah you're being that guy. Sure it would be amazing if this money went to (more) needy people. But let's not complain about a good thing happening.

ido

100 dollars is a lot of money to someone who only has 1000 dollars. 100 dollars is nothing to someone who has millions. and losing 10% of your money when you do not have very much can be a disaster, but losing 10% when you have billions will not affect your life in any meaningful way. marginal utility and all that.

Yeah, I agree. I'm definitely not trying to say it's going to affect his quality of life or the way he lives at all, just that it's not a drop in a bucket. It's still a pretty hefty chunk of change being thrown to his peoples.

Once you are a literal billionaire even taking a significant chunk of your wealth isn't going to really affect how you live at all.

Bubba T

I do not know anyone who would mind having those sort of problems.

The fuck am I reading? Is this a troll?

Calm down slick. Depending on the person, the extra income may phase out some deductions/exemptions if they participate in tax planning. Or it may not matter. It all depends.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
It's just that his generosity in no way correlates to "capitalism done right". Me saying that it's capitalism done wrong was probably too glib a way of saying that.

The whole point of capitalism is private ownership and conduct of your business , you keep talking about selfishness and feels like we are comparing ideologies. This is just business. In a capitalist system you can run your business how you want, so your idea of capitalism and altruism ...is yours, that doesn't change reality. The requirements are private ownership and conduct of business/enterprise.

The whole point of capitalism is private ownership and conduct of your business , you keep talking about selfishness and feels like we are comparing ideologies. This is just business. In a capitalist system you can run your business how you want, so your idea of capitalism and altruism ...is yours, that doesn't change reality. The requirements are private ownership and conduct of business/enterprise.
Many people talk about capitalism, and most forms of economic organization for that matter, as an ideology. It's a common misunderstanding.

But....why? Paying out $138 million is not going to result in him somehow saving >$138 million. Why the suspicion?

Who said anything about suspicion?

Without knowing the financial stakes behind these bonuses, I have no idea about how gracious someone is really being. So, I'm happy for the people who got a large bonus, but I'm not in the "if only more rich people were so willing to sacrifice oh so much" camp.

Depends on how they pay it out. If they tack it onto your paycheck, then it will get taxed as a really large paycheck.

It will all work out to the same when it's time to file your annual taxes.

Companies do withholdings at fixed rates for bonuses and the like so they don't have to figure out the unique impact it would have on each and every employee. It works out when everyone files their taxes, either they'll see a big refund or owe a little more, but it works out.
Ah, makes sense, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom