• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A self-made billionaire in Texas just gave EACH of his 1,381 employees a $100,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

"Every employee here today, will receive a 100.000$ bonus! Merry Christmas!"

It was unfortunate that, Larry, had decided to take that day off to clean up sidequests in Fallout 4.

Bonuses are taxed at what 25%? That part will suck, but damn nice gesture.

That's the type of stuff that could forever change someone's life.

Zoe

Depends on how they pay it out. If they tack it onto your paycheck, then it will get taxed as a really large paycheck.

It will all work out to the same when it's time to file your annual taxes.

Gonzalez

Banned
I don't even know what I would do with 100k right now.

tumblr_lfx7b11y2B1qztjn5o1_500.jpg

Companies do withholdings at fixed rates for bonuses and the like so they don't have to figure out the unique impact it would have on each and every employee. It works out when everyone files their taxes, either they'll see a big refund or owe a little more, but it works out.

ido

It's strange to see some people here act like this is a drop in the bucket for him. This is a pretty significant chunk of money.

The guy is worth $7b in assets, not cash on hand. That is 1/60th of all of this guy's assets.

It would be a person with $250,00 in assets(not cash) giving away over $4k. It's probably going to be noticeable.

But this was really cool. I imagine those employees are fucking elated.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
wow now thats capitalism actually done right, he will have a loyal workforce happy to come to work getting bonuses like that ..damn.

2real4tv

Was it company assets or personal? Wonder if there is a tax benefits to this? Great news none the less wish this would happen more often.

daveo42

Banned
I don't even know what I would do with 100k right now.

A new car is a given... Maybe a nice vacation? And then put the rest in the bank?

I'm sure the holidays got a lot better for all those people. :)

Pay off debts. That's what I'd do anyway. I'd probably have enough left over to use as a nice down payment on a house.

I am going to be incredibly jealous of all of my oil industry friends if this idea sweeps through Houston. I picked the wrong industry to peddle my geology degree in.

Always thought employees should get a bigger piece of the pie. It's not like a minimum wage maker's time is worth THAT much less than people in the top. Doesn't it seem unfair that some of us could work full time for the rest of our lives and make less than some people do in a day?

Wouldn't it be great if a store owner with a few people working for him, rather than give 9 dollars per hour or less, instead gave a fair percentage of profit earnings for what the store had brought in each day, since it would have been impossible to make that without each individual worker..

Anyway, this is amazing. What a giving guy.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Capitalism done right would be this guy hoarding all the money he could. What this is is basically charity, as the amount given to everyone is wholly independent of their job performance or position.

It's a good thing he's doing, but let's not conflate this with good capitalism.

im simply going to say i don't agree , and point out that your claim of how another free enterpriser should engage in his free enterprise, does not follow or suddenly define capitalism. He can pay his employees however he wants with what is his, irrespective of their circumstances. I don't see what disqualifies him as a free market capitalist because he freely chose to do something.

NYR

It's a drop in the bucket for him. That would be like you and I buying a big mac for a homeless guy. But this is the sort of goodwill gesture billionaire CEOs should do. $115,000,000 out of his $7B net worth barely even registers
Cynics are worse than Hitler.

danthefan

It's about 2% of the guy's net worth. That is in no way a "drop in the bucket," and is like buying a Big Mac if you can only afford 50 of them.

It's actually nothing like that big mac analogy. The guy has billions of dollars remaining.

But anyway it's extremely generous and good on him.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's about 2% of the guy's net worth. That is in no way a "drop in the bucket," and is like buying a Big Mac if you can only afford 50 of them.

Believe it or not, a Big Mac actually would equate to 2% (or more) of some Gaffers total networth. I've seen many threads where people claim to have no more than $50 in their checking, and I have a feeling most people on GAF have a negative networth.

im simply going to say i don't agree , and point out that your claim of how another free enterpriser should engage in his free enterprise, does not follow or suddenly define capitalism. He can pay his employees however he wants with what is his, irrespective of their circumstances. I don't see what disqualifies him as a free market capitalist because he freely chose to do something.

Because capitalism is inherently selfish. Look, someone said this was an example of capitalism done right, and I'm saying not really, this is an example of someone doing a good thing for possibly altruistic reasons, but let's not conflate his actions with capitalism because that would imply that this is a natural result from capitalist policies.

It's strange to see some people here act like this is a drop in the bucket for him. This is a pretty significant chunk of money.

The guy is worth $7b in assets, not cash on hand. That is 1/60th of all of this guy's assets.

It would be a person with $250,00 in assets(not cash) giving away over $4k. It's probably going to be noticeable.

A lot of people do that in charitable giving annually. Then when you think about the first dollar being more valuable than the last.. Meh.

Good for the employees though, but without knowing the financial situation wholly, no "attaboys" are coming from my direction.

E92 M3

This is the kind of billionaire I want to be. I think his actions are more meaningful than giving money to charity.

Ducarmel

Because capitalism is inherently selfish. Look, someone said this was an example of capitalism done right, and I'm saying not really, this is an example of someone doing a good thing for possibly altruistic reasons, but let's not conflate his actions with capitalism because that would imply that this is a natural result from capitalist policies.

I still don't get your point.

If we are to break down capitalism to a basic definition, all it is is private ownership making as much profit as they can.

What this guy does with his profits does not invalidate that.

I can see your point if he was giving money away that was impacting the companies ability to make as much profit as it potentially could.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

100 dollars is a lot of money to someone who only has 1000 dollars. 100 dollars is nothing to someone who has millions. and losing 10% of your money when you do not have very much can be a disaster, but losing 10% when you have billions will not affect your life in any meaningful way. marginal utility and all that.

Mr.Mike

The marginal utility of 2% of his net worth is a lot less for him than most other people. Of course I don't agree that it's a drop in a bucket for him, but he's not really making any sacrifices in quality of life to be this generous.

joelseph

100 dollars is a lot of money to someone who only has 1000 dollars. 100 dollars is nothing to someone who has millions. and losing 10% of your money when you do not have very much can be a disaster, but losing 10% when you have billions will not affect your life in any meaningful way. marginal utility and all that.

Net worth is not the same as cash in hand.

This is the kind of billionaire I want to be. I think his actions are more meaningful than giving money to charity.

I guess depends on the charity but how did you come to that conclusion? These are people with jobs at a very generous company. Charities typically work with people who, well, don't have jobs at very generous companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom