• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A tech question: What resolution is PAL60

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I know that PAL60 refres rate is the same as NTSC (that is 60hz) but is it's resolution, and more importantly aspect ration the same?

I'm asking this as I got the PAL Ico to run in it's 60Hz mode on my NTSC console and NTSC TV, but I'm not sure if I now should shrink the image vertically a bit to match the game's original intended aspect ratio. I know for example that PAL games should have somewhat bigger vertical resolution (512pixels as opposed to 480 on the NTSC) but I don't know if that only holds true for PAL50 mode or for the PAL60 as well.

I didn't really noticed that ICO's aspect ratio looks wrong, but I haven't really had a chance to notice it as there weren't any circles on the screen to make it obvious. Also, ICO can natively be run in the 60Hz mode (the game itself supports it, it's not some kind of a patch)

Burnout 3 demo, on the other hand, which is patched to run in NTSC mode from it's original PAL version, does show an obvious vertical aspect ratio distortion (obvious on the EA intro animation where EA logo looks like a vertical oval, instead of a circle) also, the burnout-meter is pushed down outside of the visible screen area. In other words, it's obvious that the game is running in the higher vertical resolution compared to regular NTSC games, but then again, the demo is really hacked to work on the NTSC to begin with.

I guess, what I'm asking is - does Ico actually scale it's picture down vertically from 512 to 480 (448 or whatever) when you switch to it's 60Hz mode, or should I do that on the TV controls?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Pal60 resolution is the same as NTSC Marc.
The only difference is the arguably superior color space of Pal.

Burnout3 demo runs in Pal50, so the renderer aspect ration would be set wrong even if you hack the refresh settings to work on NTSC.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
FYI, PS2 dont do PAL60... All games that has a 60hz option run in NTSC mode
Sounds good so far. My only question would be then, why Burnout 3 demo has stretched image after patching the ISO file with PAL -> NTSC patcher? Is that functionality basically not the same thing that PAL60 games are doing?

*edit* OK, I guess Faf's reply answers this. So what you are saying is basically, when I switch Ico to it's 60Hz mode that the game programmers built into the game, it's not the same thing (as far as aspect ratio and/or vertical resolution is concerned) as when I patch the BO3 demo to work at 60Hz?

The only difference is the arguably superior color space of Pal.
But since I use component cable, it probably makes no difference? I didn't really see any color change from NTSC Ico to a PAL one.

scarybore

Marconelly said:
But since I use component cable, it probably makes no difference? I didn't really see any color change from NTSC Ico to a PAL one.

Well if you are playing 60hz on Ico it wont matter as its been said already that the PS2 uses NTSC to output a 60hz signal rather than use PAL60 (which initially confused some Dreamcast owners early on as they didnt know why the DC could output a 60hz signal fine on their tv but had problems with the PS2 outputting 60hz). Of course if component bypasses the color coding ala RGB then it wont matter either way, as you say, if you were to play on a 50hz compatible TV.

Shompola

Banned
marconelly, use the composite cable you got with your system and see if ICO still looks alright or not. That way you'll verify if the game is in PAl 60 or not.

nubbe

Deathcraze said:
(which initially confused some Dreamcast owners early on as they didnt know why the DC could output a 60hz signal fine on their tv but had problems with the PS2 outputting 60hz).
Hehe, this happened to me. I thought my PS2 was broken since my Dreamcast didn’t have any issues with 60Hz, then I realized my old TV couldn’t handle NTSC

scarybore

Shompola said:
marconelly, use the composite cable you got with your system and see if ICO still looks alright or not. That way you'll verify if the game is in PAl 60 or not.

The PS2 cant output PAL 60, hence the problems DC owners had with getting a black and white screen because it uses NTSC 60 which didnt work with their TVs. Of course providing you dont get a rolling picture but just have a Black and white image, then you can use a RGB cable to bypass the color encoding all together.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I guess I'll do that, just for the kicks, but so far you guys have pretty much convinced me that the game looks just as it should (and that's how it looked like to me anyways)

Top Bottom