• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A White Supremacist Group Aims To Recruit On College Campuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
Courtesy Texas Monthly.

Texas Monthly said:
Over the weekend, the University of Texas at Austin became the latest Texas university to be hit with fliers by a white nationalist group. The state arm of the American Vanguard, a national organization, is carrying out what it calls ”The Texas Offensive," a seemingly ongoing effort to post the group's fliers on university campuses across the state. Prior to UT Austin, the American Vanguard claims they have also posted fliers at Texas State University, Rice University, the University of North Texas, the University of Texas at Dallas, Collin College, and Abilene Christian University.

According to posts from the Vanguard Texas Twitter account, the fliers at UT Austin were posted on the night of February 12. Some of the fliers posted on campus asked people to ”imagine a Muslim-free America" and called for the reporting of ”any and all illegal aliens." One poster was placed on a statue of Martin Luther King Jr. and read, ”Carry the torch of your people" over an image of white men. On Twitter, the group captioned the pictures with ”Happy #BlackHistoryMonth." Many UT Austin students called for action from the school administration on social media. UT's President Greg Fenves tweeted later that day, ”Longhorns stand together," and that diversity and inclusion are top priorities for the university.

American Vanguard has targeted other universities around the country and has individual handles for subchapters in 21 states. The group seems to be reacting to actions from the Trump administration (#MakeAmericaWhiteAgainst mimics his popular rally cry). The appearance of their posters at UT Dallas coincided with an executive order Trump signed barring travel from seven majority-Muslim countries, and the fliers at UT Austin followed increased raids by U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement across the country, including Austin.

”Trump is a representation of white America — whether he likes it or whether he knows it or not," the group's vice commander told the Houston Press. ”I think what he's doing is... uh... he's kind of defending it. Not explicitly, but he's doing things that are helpful for it."

More at the link above.

An example of their posters:

uSayXmP.jpg

With the number of hate groups rising, the attempted recruiting on college campuses is incredibly alarming.

Can news just call a spade for what it actually is? Stop calling them white nationalists or alt right. Call them extremist, racists, and Nazis.

Hmmm, not sure universities are going you yield many recruits. Moreoever, I can't imagine they will approach overtly...They would and should be run off campuses.

lol.

Seeing this at the Hillside Mall Theater was one of my favorite movie-going experiences ever. Audience was out of control. People were placing bets on whether or not Jennifer Connelly was going to go gay. I don't even remember how that plot worked out, but I remember this dude shouting "Motherfucker, you just cost me a dollar!"

Later, this exchange occurred...

Woman: This be a controversial motherfucking movie. Everybody be packing they Smith and Wessons.

Man: Shut up, bitch. I can feel yo stank breath hitting me in the back of the neck.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Why do white supremacist groups always use so much military/authoritarian terminology? Things like "Vanguard", "Offensive", and so on.

Its currently open season on persons of colors in America, I mean you have talk shows giving white supremacists a platform, colleges inviting white supremacists to spread their message and white supremacists in the white house.

First it will be the muslims, they're the easy targets, demonized in the media for decades so you won't have many people throwing up arms.

Next it will be the aliens, they're in the country illegally - people will shrug it off and say they should come in legally (yet the path to legal immigration is stretching longer and longer)

After that the blacks, I mean c'mon, they've been shat on for centuries and even now.

After that maybe jews? That's my bet

JP_

Banned
Why do white supremacist groups always use so much military/authoritarian terminology? Things like "Vanguard", "Offensive", and so on.

Because they think the white race is being destroyed and must fight back. To be clear, they aren't joking around.

Because they think diversity is a war on whiteness. Their biggest fear (wet dream) is a race war where all non-white races are eliminated or put/returned to subservience. They aren't debaters or intellectuals. To them, racial equality is already an assault on their lives. And they recruit by making this distinction clear in the minds of those they manipulate making them think they're part of a much bigger destiny and purpose. Thus their language.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Because the world terrifies them and they want someone to tell them what to do so they don't have to think about that scary world that only exists to murder them or something.

Slayven

lol.

Seeing this at the Hillside Mall Theater was one of my favorite movie-going experiences ever. Audience was out of control. People were placing bets on whether or not Jennifer Connelly was going to go gay. I don't even remember how that plot worked out, but I remember this dude shouting "Motherfucker, you just cost me a dollar!"

Later, this exchange occurred...

Woman: This be a controversial motherfucking movie. Everybody be packing they Smith and Wessons.

Man: Shut up, bitch. I can feel yo stank breath hitting me in the back of the neck.
The right movie with the right crowd is magical.

rjinaz

Lol that poster makes no sense. American Muslims didn't attack the towers. No Muslims in America and it still happens. So, racist and stupid. The two usually do go hand in hand, though of course not always as Bannon shows.

I wonder what these assholes would think of someone like me. I had a black guy, a Mexican, and an Iranian as groomsmen in my wedding. I want one of these sorry excuses for a human being to call me a race traitor to my face one day.

Ewo

Fuck that shit, I'm tearing these down if I ever see this trash here.

Hey, you're probably already aware, but watch out for razors when you tear hateful fliers down.

EDIT:
I decided to look into it, and it looks like the incident I read about turned out to be a false report.
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/white-supremacists-set-traps-by-hiding-razor-blades-in-racist-fliers-on-liberal-college-campus/

Sorry about that, I don't want to spread misinformation like this. I still think it's not bad to watch out for if you're going to tear down fliers, though.

Seik

Banned
I'd infiltrate them to put everything they're building up on fire.

I'm a bald white guy, they would NEVER suspect me.

Bypassing the "racism is illogical" argument, it always struck me as incredibly naive that an America, that through hate and ingorance has (impossibly) removed all Muslims from their country, would somehow be a peaceful wonderland.

They'd find another group to hate. Even if it was other white people. It's a fool's dream.

I'm against this completely.

But something something "freedumz of speesh and assumbly" or whatever bullshit argument that will be incorrectly cited.

Bypassing the "racism is illogical" argument, it always struck me as incredibly naive that an America, that through hate and ingorance has (impossibly) removed all Muslims from their country, would somehow be a peaceful wonderland.

They'd find another group to hate. Even if it was other white people. It's a fool's dream.

It's already a fool's dream because the people in organizations like this already fight over who among them is "white" enough just like when Polish and German peoples were considered non-white in the US's own history. But these groups have zero self awareness or reflection.

Glix

??? I'm talking about my highschool days. How white middle class kids would dress up full fubu but would never socialize with the black kids in school, despite the fact every other group did. They only hung around themselves.

I was the guy in bellbottoms hanging out with the black dudes who were so amused by my "white boy pipe"

Pot, the ultimate barrier breaker.

Maybe Bannon and Miller just need to toke a big J.

I was the guy in bellbottoms hanging out with the black dudes who were so amused by my "white boy pipe"

Pot, the ultimate barrier breaker.

Maybe Bannon and Miller just need to toke a big J.

Access to drugs and alcohol made you king in high school, no doubt.

appaws

Banned

To incite anger and fear in those they seek to recruit.

Like so many off-kilter groups, cults, etc...they are appealing to a certain type of alienated person.

In this case, obviously it is angry young(ish) white guys looking to scapegoat somebody for their own failures.

That type of imagery is pretty powerful and I guess appealing in the right circumstances. Look at all the propaganda of the Nazis/Fascists/Soviets....you can see the thread running through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom