• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abyss Odyssey |OT| A Warlock's Nightmare From Which I Am Trying To Awake

Coreda

Definitely had hoped there would be more early GAF impressions of the game prior to release, in terms of the non-checkpoint difficulty balance, the quality of the gameplay in practice, and overall hours of enjoyment.

Also interested to discover how the battle mode turns out. Whether it's decent or just more a secondary experience. Looks like it could be fun.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gah, only a day left and I still haven't decided if I'm going to get the PS3 version or chance getting the PC version and risk it not running well on my shitty integrated graphics card. But it's cheaper on PC and will likely be better updated/supported post-launch than the PS3 version. ;_;

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Definitely had hoped there would be more early GAF impressions of the game prior to release, in terms of the non-checkpoint difficulty balance, the quality of the gameplay in practice, and overall hours of enjoyment.

Also interested to discover how the battle mode turns out. Whether it's decent or just more a secondary experience. Looks like it could be fun.

Well there were few lucky guys who got review copies that are not actually reviewers and those who are reviewers cant break NDA otherwise they might have issues with Atlus for not following the NDA specifications. The guy posting here says the game is challenging and from what I could see on the stream it looked like it. The controllers are responsive and the enemies are quite challenging even the fodder enemies can be a threat at times depending the random difficulty you get. As for hours of enjoyment these games usually are meant to be replayed thanks to the procedurally generated content and if they keep adding content like they say they will it might be extending the replay value for a while depending how much content it gets.

As for the battle mode sadly at the moment is players only with no CPU and since at launch it will be offline you better have friends to play the mode or otherwise you wont be able to play it. Once the game is released they will work on implementing Online and if people demand for CPU opponents they will also add that. I hope they do cause I dont plan playing Online or with friends all the time.

Coreda

Well there were few lucky guys who got review copies that are not actually reviewers and those who are reviewers cant break NDA otherwise they might have issues with Atlus for not following the NDA specifications.

Thanks for the deets on what is known this far.

As for the battle mode sadly at the moment is players only with no CPU. Once the game is released they will work on implementing Online and if people demand for CPU opponents they will also add that. I hope they do cause I dont plan playing Online or with friends all the time.

Ditto, and a relevant point I wasn't aware of before.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
ACE Team hasn't let me down so far, loved Zeno Clash for its fighting game inspiration, I'm sure I'll love this for the same reason. Rock of Ages is fantastic as well (and would be fucking great on mobile now that I think about it, throw in some gyro controls for the rock or something). From the sounds of it, the pre-order is worth it for the soundtrack alone.

Vazra

Thanks for the deets on what is known this far.

Ditto, and a relevant point I wasn't aware of before.

Tomorrow they will be streaming the game and giving away copies.

I hope Corpekata streams some more today as what was seen was hype inducing.

ACE Team hasn't let me down so far, loved Zeno Clash for its fighting game inspiration, I'm sure I'll love this for the same reason. Rock of Ages is fantastic as well (and would be fucking great on mobile now that I think about it, throw in some gyro controls for the rock or something). From the sounds of it, the pre-order is worth it for the soundtrack alone.

You can see improvements between each Zeno Clash games and for being a small team the world on 2 was impressive. Rock of Ages was pure genius.

carlsojo

Annoyed it's releasing in the afternoon tomorrow instead of midnight. Was hoping to get some more playtime before night shift tomorrow.

tommorow, gentlemen and gentlewomen
hdUA8L2.gif

that 33% off got me to buy blindly. I don't even know what i bought myself into lol. Is this like valdis story ala adventure game with a more indepth combat system?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
that 33% off got me to buy blindly. I don't even know what i bought myself into lol. Is this like valdis story ala adventure game with a more indepth combat system?

It's more of a roguelike, the abyss is procedurally generated each time you enter. But yeah, in depth combat system inspired by Smash Bros. + Fantastic art and a great soundtrack. It also has online co op and a (currently, they describe it as a "beta option") offline 4 player VS mode.

Corpekata

Banned
I'll stream a bit more later on today if anyone wants a look. Been busy so haven't looked into fixing my mic issues so will probably just be a run or two again.

Ozium

Gah, only a day left and I still haven't decided if I'm going to get the PS3 version or chance getting the PC version and risk it not running well on my shitty integrated graphics card. But it's cheaper on PC and will likely be better updated/supported post-launch than the PS3 version. ;_;

VS mode is also PC Exclusive

~Kinggi~

Banned
Shame they are embargoing this. Preventing me from buying it at the nice 9.99$. Then when it goes to 15 i really wont buy it till its on sale.

Vazra

Shame they are embargoing this. Preventing me from buying it at the nice 9.99$. Then when it goes to 15 i really wont buy it till its on sale.

It sucks but its 10 dollars. Its not like you are paying 50 dollars for it and most games nowadays get NDA.

Vazra

hopefully there will be a stream later that might help make up some minds

The main issue with the game was the lack of footage. If Atlus streamed and kept it save for people to watch it would be easier for people to know if the game is for them or not. Corpekata sealed the deal with his stream and damn I wanna see some more. Apparently Atlus did streamed the game but they didn't bother to save the broadcasts of the game.

Corpekata

Banned
Gonna use restroom and start playing. If you have any questions you want answered as I'm playing best would be to probably add me on Steam, same name.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Anybody going to be playing co-op for their first play through? I'd hate to be a victim of the reviews with this. I went into Rock of Ages with good intentions and left with everything intact.

Ozium

Anybody going to be playing co-op for their first play through? I'd hate to be a victim of the reviews with this. I went into Rock of Ages with good intentions and left with everything intact.

I'll probably try a couple runs solo just to soak everything but will try co-op at some point.

few dev posts in this thread :
http://steamcommunity.com/app/255070/discussions/0/46476691785077143/

Carlos said:
Can't really see why turning would be a problem since attacking cancels the turn animation (instantly). Anyways...

About the friendly fire - we've said it here before and I'll say it again: The game is terrible with friendly fire off. The AI has absolutely no way of responding to two attackers who can just mash out attacks with impunity (Neither can it or anyone in Smash Bros). It destroys the difficulty balancing of the game and makes it way too easy. He had to reach level 40 to beat the Warlock, which is a reasonable number. With a friend in coop with no friendly fire he would have beaten it at level 5.

Damage scaling is applied to friendly fire, so you are hitting each other but the damage is super low.

I never enjoyed playing coop until we enforced friendly fire which makes you really play cooperatively instead of just mashing buttons. The game is hard, but it is hard because it requires you to play well. If the game had no friendly fire we would be forced to increase the enemy damage exponentially to compensate for the extreme drop in difficulty, which in my opinion ruins the purpose of a playing a game with a balanced fighting system.

Andres said:
Turning is pretty much emulating how Smash works. There is a turn animation that lasts a few frames but is cancelled by any attack into any direction. This allows you to jump backwards and use your 'bair' attack. I guess that compared to 2D sidescrollers that generally have zero frames for turning this can feel different, but people that play Smash or other fighting games should find it natural.

If it feels sluggish for any particular character we can 'buff' the turn speed by accelerating the turn animation. Just let us know!

Carlos said:
The game is almost out - you guys can let us know yourselves when you play. You don't need to hear it from us. And in any case I really want to emphasize a point made by abordeu: ("If you don't like it, let us know")

We are very open to the community feedback we're going to be getting. We really want to make this a game with a huge amount of replay value. If we can get the VS mode to succeed as a competitive fighter, we will. And to achieve that we have to listen to you guys and see how we can improve stuff. A big example would be balancing. We did as much testing as we could at ACE, but as with any fighting game there are bound to be overpowered characters or exploits that are too cheap that are discovered by more talented players than us. We will update / buff / nerf / whatever... anything to keep the game fair and exciting.

Coreda

While googling the game for the Steam page on a different browser came across this review which clarified a few things for me.

On dying:

Dying in the Abyss rejigs the room order and moves things around, but also strips your character of all gathered items (weapons, rings and potions) in a run. It’s not really a Roguelike permanent death though, because you get to retain your experience level, any discovered fighting moves and all collected gold. This persistence means you should get a little bit further each time you head into the underground. Incredible loot drops aren’t really the main focus of the game, but you’ll come across a reasonable amount of weapons and items, while periodic underground shopkeepers sell a randomised selection of wares.

On saving:

It’s worth noting that there’s no way to actually save your game in the middle of an Abyss run. Quitting the game will see your character returned to the entrance the next time you load up, so it’s necessary to complete a full run (which could be anywhere between an hour or two) or die in the attempt. That’s a shame, as the Dark Souls method of picking up where you left off (but still avoiding any kind of saved game shenanigans) would surely have worked fine. The unnecessary player dilemma of whether to just give up or leave the PC on overnight is one Abyss Odyssey could’ve easily avoided.

Jobbs

Banned
This came *completely* out of nowhere for me. Up until a few hours ago I'd never heard of it. How does that happen?

Platformer, combo based fighting, roguelike, makers of zeno clash -- that's about all I know, but it's enough to get me onboard for $10. I look forward to checking it out later today.

gah..screw it. I'm buying it. I have faith in the dudes at ACE to fix whatever needs fixing and add new stuff in the future. I dug the Zeno games and Rock of Ages so I'll support these fellas.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They seem to be a community-minded developer, so I hope they are good at making certain design choices optional as it is required to please the most people. There is no reason to think that design choices have to be a battle between one demographic and another. Options are a beautiful thing, yet highly undervalued in the industry. I don't get why, since so many classics that have had a huge lifespan of multiplayer popularity have been filled to the brim with options.

Briarios

I'm torn on the platform, too -- although, I'll probably go with the PS3 as it's easier to play on my TV. Hoping for a slight PS+ discount on it today, too ... Although, I doubt it.

Anyone know what resolution it runs at on the PS3?

Top Bottom