• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abyss Odyssey |OT| A Warlock's Nightmare From Which I Am Trying To Awake

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's not just their PC as it's happening to me too. Seems like V-sync doesn't work.

Edit: Just as confirmation I forced v-sync through catalyist and now it seems like the option in the menu doesn't do anything.

Yep, in game Vsync is definitely broken, there's a looot of tearing when it goes over 60.

Also, the game is WAY more like Melee than I thought. So much in fact, that I keep trying to downward stab as Link :lol. I love how RS works the same way the C-stick does as well.

Dr Dogg

Well 2560x1440 up and running no problemo (and some hideouly compressed Steam shots)
F1A48B9677E5579C879147702D353A0043FE8C6B

511C71264AFB67700C5ABC443660133B4AA65AFC
Yep, in game Vsync is definitely broken, there's a looot of tearing when it goes over 60.

Well it's a UE3 game and it's always had poor vsync implementation as standard. This is only double buffered as well so either force it through drivers or use Radeon Pro or D3DOverrider if you want triple buffering. Though I don't know how many people are going to drop lower than 60 as performance is the usual UE3 level my end.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's double buffered? That explains the sudden drops to 30 frames, I'll disable it right away :p.

(I'm on an old dualcore so)

jtenma

Banned
Wait wait wait.

NO THEY DIDNT just make it so you could hit your co op team mate!

Wow. Why is there no option to turn this off. Why the hell--

...smh.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wait wait wait.

NO THEY DIDNT just make it so you could hit your co op team mate!

Wow. Why is there no option to turn this off. Why the hell--

...smh.

They said it made the game too easy as two players could (I assume) pretty much stunlock enemies in a corner.

Mokoi

Banned
was several levels down and fell into some kind of hole that apparently bugged the game out. just kinda got stuck in limbo. so that's how my first run ended.

I'm very willing to give the game a chance, and it may just be I need to get used to the "rythm" of the game, but right now the controls feel too sluggish. changing directions, starting an action, jumpnig, attacking, everything feels very sluggish, making combat almost feel like it's as much against the controls as it is against the enemies.

again, I'm aware that the game is trying to be kind of a "fighting game" in its combat, so I'm willing to keep trying, but first impression is that the basic controls are questionable to me.

It also feels very sluggish for me too. I'm not really digging it at all. The movement speed is just too slow for me.

Vlad

Ugh, I hate it when developers don't keep the on-screen button prompts up-to-date. It's bad enough when they don't update key prompts to reflect them being re-bound, but keeping the prompts from the console versions in is just lazy.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, I hate it when developers don't keep the on-screen button prompts up-to-date. It's bad enough when they don't update key prompts to reflect them being re-bound, but keeping the prompts from the console versions in is just lazy.

This is fairly annoying. Doesn't help that it's the same in the how-to-play section as well.

Does anyone know exactly when the game auto saves? I exited the game after buying a weapon and equipped it. Reload and the money is gone but the weapon is missing.

Vlad

I like it so far but I do with stuff like turning around was instant. It does feel a bit stiff as well. Looks fine and the music is great.

I keep seeing people complaining about turning around. Does "turning around" mean something different than making your character face from one direction to the other, or am I just missing something? Maybe it's because the game doesn't run all that smoothly on my machine, but I haven't noticed any undue lag in turning around. I press left, character faces left,I press right, character faces right.

It was kinda frustrating at first but I got a handle on things.

Reached the bottom of the dungeon and beat the Warlock
Main thing that helps is buying potions whenever they're available, using the spell to grab allies when necessary, and managing HP.

Co-op is going to require a good partner and/or local play so it's easy to communicate.

Gonna do some training mode practice, learn some combos or something.
And yeah the slight pause when turning is annoying. The heroine (I forgot her name already) has a spin move. I throw that out instead of turning around if someone is right behind me.

I keep seeing people complaining about turning around. Does "turning around" mean something different than making your character face from one direction to the other, or am I just missing something? Maybe it's because the game doesn't run all that smoothly on my machine, but I haven't noticed any undue lag in turning around. I press left, character faces left,I press right, character faces right.

Thats what I mean. I would like it if there wasn't any animation when switching directions. I want the character to turn the other direction instantly with no animation like most 2D games. I've only played the game for about 2 hours so I'll keep playing around and get used to it. Its just my old school way of thinking when it comes to 2D gameplay.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh god, I was three floors away from the bottom. Then I died and now Ghost Monk is unlocked. That cool ass fellow.

Istaerion

Has anyone managed to get any Steam Trading Cards from this game? I played for roughly an hour and a half and have yet to obtain a single one.

There doesn't look to be any on the market either, and I can't find a progress entry in the Steam Badge page.

I ask because the store page indicates that the game supports them, but I honestly haven't found any actual evidence that it does.

Vlad

Ok, what's the button to actually buy something from the merchant? I know I've got enough money and the game's not telling me that it's the wrong weapon or anything, but even after pressing every action, I can't seem to actually purchase anything. I've re-bound all my keys, so any answer would have to be in the form of "it's the attack button" or "it's the throw button".

And now that I think of it, I'm having the same issue with assigning skill points. The game's UI is saying that it should be the green button, and from the looks of the control menu that should be "jump". However, I press the space bar and nothing.

Nymerio

Managed to get through with Katrien on my second try (survived with like 19 HP), got the Ghost Monk now. Looks pretty cool.

Great game so far!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow, that quickly?! I was hoping it would more demanding. Assuming you bought it today, that is way too short.
The game's main selling point is replayability.

When enough players beat the final boss, new content unlocks in the game.

Dr Dogg

How did you get it running at 4K? Caps out at 2560x1600 for me. Menus don't adjust for 16:10 either :/

GeDoSaTo and set the resolution via the config files. I posted the path where they're stored on the last page. Will be where you have My Documents pointed. On a single 780 I'm getting between 30-50fps depending on the effects on screen. Tinkering away on an Inspector profile as I doubt this is high in Nvidia's list of things to do.

For me despite having a 2560x1440 native res monitor the highest resolution that showed in game was 1920x1200. Haven't tried any other aspect ratios yet so haven't seen any funky menu or UI quirks but UI elements don't scale with increased resolutions. I'll have a look-see in a sec.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Finished the game in 3 hours. Which was 4 runs being careful. Loved the game now will beat it with Ghost Monk and Pincoya.

Ended up getting it on PC and played local co-op with a friend. It's pretty fun. Good deal for $10 considering the random/procedurally generated content and the developers' promise to alter the game when people defeat bosses enough.

Good chance I'll be getting home from work early. If that happens I'll attempt to play single player.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying this so far, still getting to grips with the combat and just unlocked Ghost Monk, good stuff :)

Is it just me or does something just feel very slightly 'off' ? Maybe it's just the way my mind is programmed with these games but it just feels like if they tightened it up just a bit more it would be even better. As it is it's a cool game so far, I just feel like it could be even better with a bit of tweaking. Or maybe my brain just needs to get used to it.

I think what feels off is the animations taking priority over responsive controls. Not a big deal and an obvious design choice. I think with enough playtime everyone will get the hang of it.

Nixonomics

The game's main selling point is replayability.

When enough players beat the final boss, new content unlocks in the game.

My thinking was if the game is too easy there won't be enough incentive to replay it. There needs to be more gratification beyond helping unlock new content.
Luckily, I'm just about to head home and find out!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I think what feels off is the animations taking priority over responsive controls. Not a big deal and an obvious design choice. I think with enough playtime everyone will get the hang of it.

Yeah true, I must admit I wish the turning was quicker as well. Just feels a bit too slow IMO. Still there's nothing really game breaking in there.

ViviOggi

Turning doesn't bother me at all, I just jump and dodge all over the place. You can even do a poor man's wave dash, love it.

Coreda

It appears the OST for the pre orders isn't available yet due to a mix-up on the publisher's part. From what JaseC posted on the Steam thread they accidentally used the 'post-release' version of the game for pre orders, and vice versa, meaning the OST included isn't currently in the version we bought.

They've since acknowledged the issue and are working on updating the copies.

Speevy

Banned
I really like this game, but I wish the controls were more responsive.

I know every game shouldn't control the same, but there's a way your brain expects to play certain games, and this one moves slightly slower than that.

Just got it loaded up on my crappy 5 year old laptop.(Core 2 T9550/Mobility Radeon HD 4670)

Runs really well at 900p, but I've to turn all the options OFF to keep FPS @ 40+ (Ambient Occlusion etc.). It's a UE3 based game so everything can be further customized in the config files located at:-

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\AbyssOdyssey\AOGame\Config

Those with Intel HD Graphics (3000/4000/5000) should be able to run it fairly smoothly.

Munin

Is it just me or are the special attacks, atl east in the beginning, mostly useless? They take so long to execute that the enemy has already thrown me off my feet most of the time.

And I'm not against slow combat per se but there is something agonizing about seeing a really long attack animation played out that you can't cancel out of while your enemy stabs you in the back. I don't know how this could be improved in a balanced way but it is indeed a bit frustrating.

Top Bottom