• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abyss Odyssey |OT| A Warlock's Nightmare From Which I Am Trying To Awake

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm torn on the platform, too -- although, I'll probably go with the PS3 as it's easier to play on my TV. Hoping for a slight PS+ discount on it today, too ... Although, I doubt it.

Anyone know what resolution it runs at on the PS3?

PC IMO remains better.
-33% Discount leaving it at $9.99
-You get the soundtrack by preordering as well
-PC gets exclusive Vs Mode. (Unless planned for later release on consoles when it gets the online patch done)

Genki

PC IMO remains better.
-33% Discount leaving it at $9.99
-You get the soundtrack by preordering as well
-PC gets exclusive Vs Mode. (Unless planned for later release on consoles when it gets the online patch done)

Seeing how they'll ostensibly be updating the game a lot the console versions will probably be perpetually outdated too.

I also am not crazy about having to complete a 1-2 hour run all in one sitting. At least you can save your character level between runs though, I guess.

I honestly may not get more than an hour to play tonight, so I expect I'll get a decent distance into it and then have to leave it on or I don't know. On the other hand, maybe I'll just die a lot and have plenty of stopping points :p

I have tomorrow off though, and plan on playing this a lot during that time with nothing in the way.

Briarios

Yep, all of that makes sense - but, with my set up, it's annoying to connect my PC to the TV, and I do want to see this game on the big screen. Plus, co-op would be a lot easier for me on the PS3. Still, I'm torn ... But, there are reasons both are desirable for me.

Vazra

Seeing how they'll ostensibly be updating the game a lot the console versions will probably be perpetually outdated too.

Yeah and if we consider how they treated Zeno Clash 2 and Rock of Ages on consoles we can pretty much expect the same here. They like adding content and improvements to the game and doing so on the consoles can be a pain. They like tweaking stuff to what the community asks (Considering it doesn't break the game or go against the core design of the game I suppose) and they add new modes as well to the games on PC so I would see them as PC focused team. While the console versions are totally playable and worth the admission price I like having the free updates they tend to do on their games.

I also am not crazy about having to complete a 1-2 hour run all in one sitting. At least you can save your character level between runs though, I guess.

I honestly may not get more than an hour to play tonight, so I expect I'll get a decent distance into it and then have to leave it on or I don't know. On the other hand, maybe I'll just die a lot and have plenty of stopping points :p

I have tomorrow off though, and plan on playing this a lot during that time with nothing in the way.
That's the thing of roguelike games. Then again the way it sounds you will die a lot before you reach the end so a lot of restarts shall be used.

jtenma

Banned
I just preordered!

*SQUEALS*

Hope to play some co op with some lucky person...

Yup, some REALLY lucky person who wants to also co op online.

YYEEEAAAAAPPPPP. ANYONE. ANYONE AT ALL.

Vazra

I just preordered!

*SQUEALS*

Hope to play some co op with some lucky person...

Yup, some REALLY lucky person who wants to also co op online.

YYEEEAAAAAPPPPP. ANYONE. ANYONE AT ALL.

I might be up for it if I manage to get it running on my current rig. (The gaming rig is being fixed atm) That is if you are going PC. Also getting Ps3 version but I already have plans with someone for that one tonight.

jtenma

Banned
I might be up for it if I manage to get it running on my current rig. (The gaming rig is being fixed atm) That is if you are going PC. Also getting Ps3 version but I already have plans with someone for that one tonight.

Console versions are launching with co op? Forgive my ignorance.

I'm leaning towards PC, but...

2.4 Quad Core, 8 GB RAM, Radeon 5800. Problem?

*Edit: I know. Kind of old. I'll be upgrading a bit soon so I don't ask dumb questions anymore.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm not too worried, it is coming out on the old HD twins after all.

I'm a bit worried, and I can run most digital download games that come out for the old HD twins and PC. I can't run Zeno Clash II acceptably at all, even on the lowest settings at fucking 1024x768. And it does not seem like a game that should require that much horsepower to run well. I know I've got a weak PC, but if I can play Arkham Asylum on low, something like Zeno Clash II shouldn't be a problem, but it is. So that kinda makes me worried about how well ACE Team's stuff is optimized for lower-end PCs.

However, it seems there's gonna be a demo for the PS3 version, which leads me to hope there'll be one for the PC version as well. So I think what I'll do is wait for the game to launch and if there's a PC demo, try it out and see how well it runs. And if it runs well enough, I'll just grab the game from a key trader (which will basically be the same as getting the pre-order discount). If not, or if there isn't a demo, I'll just go with the PS3 version.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Looks like this game definitely needs a good D-Pad.

I'd really rather get the the Steam SKU, but PS3 it is then...

Syril

That's the thing of roguelike games. Then again the way it sounds you will die a lot before you reach the end so a lot of restarts shall be used.

Do you mean about saving or restarting at the beginning when you die? Every roguelike game I've seen has had the ability to do temporary saves wherever you are.

Vazra

Do you mean about saving or restarting at the beginning when you die? Every roguelike game I've seen has had the ability to do temporary saves wherever you are.

I remember that happening with Binding of Issac.

Vlad

9 hours for Binding of Isaac? That's...way too much.

Actually, that sounds about right, depending on what you consider the "main story". You have to beat the game several times in order to get the "final" ending, and a run can easily take an hour, depending on how you do.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So what's going on with the game's Steam page? Is the game unlocked now?

pfgJYVP.png

Jobbs

Banned
still getting used to the controls -- that said, wow, the screen tearing is extreme. I turned on V sync and it seems to make no difference.

Vazra

still getting used to the controls -- that said, wow, the screen tearing is extreme. I turned on V sync and it seems to make no difference.

I think the issue is your computer. Mine isnt giving any issues.

Dr Dogg

Just a heads up the highest resolution reported by the game in the Video Settings Menu is 1920x1200 but if you navigate to where \documents\my games\AbyssOdyssey\AOGame\config\ and the open up AOSyetemSettings.ini and alter resx= and resy= to your desired hori and vert resolution. Just going to try out GeDoSaTo and I'll report back.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright, it seems like the $9.99 price has been extended by 24 hours, so that takes some of the pressure off me to decide where to buy it. Now I can wait for the PSN store update and see what the price is like there.

Vazra

I feel better pulling combos with the right stick than the button. I do use the projectile button to end combo but it feels better with the stick somehow.

Dr Dogg

Well GeDoSaTo looks all good with this which is great news. Though don't have any editing tools to hand and don't think you guys would be too happy with 20-30mb a piece 4k screenshots.

Jobbs

Banned
was several levels down and fell into some kind of hole that apparently bugged the game out. just kinda got stuck in limbo. so that's how my first run ended.

I'm very willing to give the game a chance, and it may just be I need to get used to the "rythm" of the game, but right now the controls feel too sluggish. changing directions, starting an action, jumpnig, attacking, everything feels very sluggish, making combat almost feel like it's as much against the controls as it is against the enemies.

again, I'm aware that the game is trying to be kind of a "fighting game" in its combat, so I'm willing to keep trying, but first impression is that the basic controls are questionable to me.

Top Bottom