• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZÛ |OT| A Journey into an ocean of wisdom

I've bought it but won't be able to play until Friday. Just a question though as my daughter has been really looking forward to playing it with me - is it appropriate for a six year old? Like, there's nothing too dark or weird about it?

Perfect for a six year old. It is definitely all age appropriate.

robotrock

Banned
I've bought it but won't be able to play until Friday. Just a question though as my daughter has been really looking forward to playing it with me - is it appropriate for a six year old? Like, there's nothing too dark or weird about it?

I think it's appropriate. It has "moments of peril" in the same way every Pixar movie has.

If you thought Journey was alright, this is too.

Mdk7

Here's my review for IGN Italy, I rated it 8.8

http://it.ign.com/abzu-ps4/114368/review/abzu-la-recensione.
i will write some impressions soon!

So, here I am.
As I wrote in my review, I absolutely LOVED the presentation: the art direction is truly jawdropping, and throughout the whole adventure you experience a sense of wonder that's simply breathtaking. The colors are unbelievable, the atmosphere is stunning, the creatures you encounter are astonishing (I really adore the subtle lowpoly taste in modeling the different species, and the superb texture work), and quite a few times you'll find yourself lost among all that beauty, almost victim of the so-called Stendhal syndrome.
And it's not just a matter of incredible art: the tech behind it is equally amazing (DAT LIGHTING), and the soundtrack by Austin Wintory is nothing but divine. I beat the game 3 times, and took 183 captures on my PS4 while playing. And I think I still feel like swimming around, and in the upcoming months I'm fairly certain I'll boot up this game again for a dive.

All that said, I can't help but feel a little disappointed on the "emotional" side: the story is too abstract and really not that involving IMHO, and while Journey almost brought me to tears with its powerful ending and its genuine human interactions (I personally loved the multiplayer), ABZÛ never touched my heartstrings in the same way... not even remotely.
Maybe it didn't even want to, because this could be just a super relaxing zen safari not meant to make you cry or something, but overall I personally felt that this experience was beyond gorgeous audiovisually, but way less touching and heartwarming than its spiritual predecessor.
And eventually, that is what separates a masterpiece (like Journey is, to me) from just an amazing game (ABZÛ).

A few random (vaguely spoilerish) considerations:
- The abyss is absolutely not dark enough to me. There's still too much light and visibility for the bottom of the ocean, and I wish it was almost completely pitch black, with some bioluminescent glows here and there, almost like swimming in outer space.
- As as avid fan of dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures in general, when I first saw that Dunkleosteus statue in the orange level I think my heart skipped a beat... And then, when later on I actually met one of those guys, I had a HUGE smile on my face.
- Again on this point: when you start to encounter prehistoric underwater creatures, I secretly started to hope the whole game would become a metaphor of the evolution on Earth, and I imagined dinosaurs would start to appear (even more considering that the Diver gets out of the water to walk on his legs, as some creature did...). That would have been soooo special, I think I would have died for too much awesomeness. Too bad it didn't happen.
- That sci-fi digression is not that inspired: it doesn't add that much to the experience, and I honestly felt it was a bit forced and even a little out of space.
- I got all the seashells, but I don't think I understood what happened. I remember Nava teased something special, but... I didn't see shit, LOL.

I'll give Journey a slight edge due to the multiplayer interaction present there. And the fact that Journey's story was
a metaphor for the circle of life and death. I'm not quite sure what kind of story Abzu was trying to tell, though I'm interested to find out.
Spoilers:
yeah as of right now I give Journey a slight edge due to its fantastic metaphor. But that's why I want a few days before taking a definite stance. I need to figure out what ABZU trying to tell me haha

Mdk7

If I didn't like Journey, would I not like this?

I am a bit of a sucker for underwater games, but if it's Journey underwater, that might be a turn off.

I personally think it's prettier than Journey, so the audiovisual aspect of that might be more than enough to entertain you, especially considering you're a fan of underwater stuff.
That said, the mechanics, the pacing and the overall feel are pretty much the same as Journey, but to me ABZÛ is more shallow from an emotional perspective... So if you weren't into Journey, this might definitely not be your cup of tea.

SJRB

Gold Member
This is basically Journey but with underwater. It's a very pretty game but Journey is better in terms of telling a story through just visuals and music. Also that game had a cool co-op mechanic.

A solid 8/10 for me.

Is it worth 20 euros? I expected a 12-ish pricepoint, 20 seems pretty steep considering the footage I've seen.

- I got all the seashells, but I don't think I understood what happened. I remember Nava teased something special, but... I didn't see shit, LOL.

Go back to any of the seashell walls to change your dive suit. Also head back to the "ghost chamber"

thenexus6

Damn, just started. Game looks and sounds gorgeous so far. I love talking to your little robot friend.

However, I am having some issues with the controls. For some reason nothing feels right to me on normal or inverted.

Is it worth 20 euros? I expected a 12-ish pricepoint, 20 seems pretty steep considering the footage I've seen.

Have you played the Journey? Did you like it? If you did then I'd say it's worth checking out. I got it for $15 because of pre-order and happy with it.

FelipeMGM

I agree with the people that think this is awesome, but not as powerful as Journey, but maybe nothing will be.

Go back to any of the seashell walls to change your dive suit. Also head back to the "ghost chamber"

Well, turning my PS4 right now to check these out

Great review BTW Blood

Just finished it, it's probably one of the most beautiful games I've played.

Regarding the controls, I didn't like how for the
land sections
you had to push backwards to move forwards if you had everything set to normal. It didn't last long so it's not a big deal, but it was pretty awkward.

I just finished it and I absolutely loved it! I like it better than Journey and the soundtrack is without equal. I'll put up some impressions and my review tomorrow - right now, I've got to go to bed for a meeting early in the morning LOL!

Mifune

Mehmber
Had to tear myself away from this astonishingly beautiful game. The score is lovely and mysterious. I'm intrigued by the story, and while so far there's nothing overtly emotional, there is a definite air of sadness to the whole thing. I'm finding it to be quite moving, actually, on a subconscious level.

thenexus6

Just finished it, maybe just under two hours.

Game was great. Not as striking visually as Journey, but just swimming around, all the amazing colours and soundtrack. I totally recommend it.

Going to go back and find all the stuff I missed later. I really like the meditation spots in each area.

S1kkZ

finished it in about 2-2 1/2 hours. loved every minute of it.

some story thoughts (spoilers):

so my takeaway is: an ancient race created an "essence" of life (the blue "water" that is inside the diver and the giant "pyramids") and brought it to the ocean.

life began to develop...but soon, the water started to overtake the "land" and the ancient race (or someone that came later) developed the pyramid things and robot divers, to keep things in check and push back.

the diver/player, influenced by the shark, frees the ocean from its shakles and helps it to overtake/retake whats left of the planet.

Razyl

Or just opinions on how good the port is? I'd like to know before dropping cash.

Got the pc-version.

It's a solid port with Unreal Engine 4. There are not many graphic options (render res, fish, shadows, reflections, vsync) and you can't change controll layouts. It is playable with mouse and keyboard, but like the steam page i would say: play it with controller. The game got an native support for the Dualshock 4.

Performance wise it's okay - nothing special. By some big, big fish swarms i got some heavy fps drops, but most of the time Abzû was between 45 and 60 FPS. My rig is also not the best on the market anymore :p

i5 760@2,80 GHz
Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB
8 GB Ram

Its after all just a solid port in my opinion but i guess thats better than maybe Arkham Knight. :p

Ferr986

So the game it's the same lenght as Journey then?

I guess I'll try to onesit this tonight then. Too worried on getting spoiled.

Ferr986

Absolutely try to beat it in one session... I think that is the best way to experience it.

Yes, I agree. I always play Journey in one sitting, it's the best way, considering it's more like a gamey experience.

But if it were longer than Journey I wouldn't have enough time to beat it in one session till weekend (and I don't want to rush it). 3 hours at most is what I have.

Mdk7

So about 2 - 3 hours to beat depending on how much time we take to look around and explore?

I can get down with that ^_^

Yup, that's the time it will take you to get to the end.
During my first playtime it took me around 2h and 45 minutes to beat it, but in the meantime I took something like 94 photos (and discovered most of the meditation spots and quite a few of the secret shells).

thumb

Banned
I can feel some Endless Ocean and Okami inspirations, in the best way possible. I'm only about 30 minutes in, but I love the art style and mystery.

I finished it earlier tonight and wow, between the beautiful art style and incredible soundtrack, it's an audio/visual feast. I don't think copying Journey's storytelling devices worked though, as the story just wasn't as straight forward as Journey's, so it never really hooked me. It's not a big deal though, as I still think it's a great game.

I'll probably give it another playthrough tomorrow to wrap up the secret shells I apparently missed but I can see myself coming back to it in a few months time as well, just like I do with Journey.

I finished it, in about 90 minutes. I explored a bit early on but not much after that.

I don't know much about image quality but to me the image quality seemed excellent, such as the anti-aliasing.

Oneself

Woke up this morning feeling like a total POS because I waited for the game to unlock and played a bunch before going to bed. Oh well. :)

Can't wait to get back into it tonight!

Top Bottom