• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZÛ |OT| A Journey into an ocean of wisdom

It is pretty, but way too on-rails for my liking. At least it is well priced.

Wait what visualizer?!

There seem to be meditation points, which are like a screen saver. But for some reason the game covers the top and bottom of the screen with ugly bars. The issue is that it doesn't cover it completely, on my monitor there is a 1px border of game screen still visible, ruining the 'cinematic' effect that I think the developers were going for.

robotrock

Banned
Game looks so goddamn good, holy shit. The art direction is on point.

And that soundtrack!!! Austin Wintory is a genius.

nikos

Really enjoying this so far.

Anybody know its length? If it's on the shorter side, I may wait until I have time to experience it in its entirety. Otherwise, I'll play it like a regular game.

finalflame

What reason could they possibly have to not release on PC at midnight? Are they not confident on the game's stability/didn't play test sufficiently and don't want to come in in the morning to a bunch of bug reports/tickets?

This is such bull.

The FOMO is real amongst our PC GAFer brethren it seems. Being bummed is one thing but let it stay there and not evolve into calling the devs names or anything childish like that please. You all are better than that. Your impressions from playing will be no less valid or welcome because it comes a few hours or a day later than others.

As for myself, in its movement and presentation, not to mention its meditative aspect, Abzu takes the things I loved about Flower, Proteus, and Journey, and gives me a great sense of... relief is probably the best word to use. I felt incredibly relaxed in the hour I played this evening, and had a smile the entire time. I really do look forward to hearing impressions from you all.

Game is ABZUlutely gorgeous.

Nicely done.

I'm about an hour in and I am absolutely loving this! The graphics and atmosphere are second to none and Austin Wintory - you did an unbelievable job with the soundtrack! There's one part I won't spoil for those that haven't played it yet, but the music was so jaw-droppingly, insanely good that I actually put the controller down for about 10 minutes just to hear it loop.

And I'm only an hour in! I definitely like it better than Journey and that's not hyperbole, I mean it!

Drifters

OMG!!!

This game is a mindgasm! I'm so lost in the wonder of it all. It's so breath taking and surreal that while it is dream like it's almost a dream within a dream. Man, I'm only on part 2 but I LOVE THIS GAME!

dominuece

Played for about 20 minutes. This game is fantastic. Art, music, aquatic life and their behaviors, everything. I do, however, have a strong phobia of deep ocean shit, haha!

Toki767

Screenshots do not do this game justice, but I'll post a coupke I took anyway because they look so nice.

Co1DdXMVUAA1z7a.jpg

Co1KsmYUEAEcG9q.jpg

Co1MTPLUkAA0rjh.jpg

ezekial45

Banned
The ending to this game is fucking magnificent. Holy shit, it was cathartic to say the least. I can't wait for you guys to see it.

Just played a little bit tonight...... Visuals and music are in such harmony, I spent over half my time just doing little flips and looking around 🙂

Nia

Well I didn't think I would get scared so early in the game. Played only 19 minutes, just because it's late. I was
following my robot buddy, then a Shark came out of nowhere and destroyed it. I jumped a foot.

Though that was just one moment. The game is serene and beautiful. I'll upload footage later.

GCX

Can't play the game just yet but I listened some of the soundtrack on Spotify and my god it's beautiful.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Can't play the game just yet but I listened some of the soundtrack on Spotify and my god it's beautiful.

I can't find it on Spotify. What do you search for?

I found Uncharted 4's. But when I search ABZÛ, I get nothing.

Fuuuck. Gotta get this game as soon as I've money to spare.

Really hope they release a theme for those who couldn't pre-order, though. I'd gladly pay for one.

Agreed, I'd gladly pay for an actual Dynamic theme. The pre-order theme was cool, but missed opportunity for something moving, and some of that God-tier music.

Granjinha

For anyone wondering how to get the OST on Spotify, just search for Austin Wintory. :)

Edit: Oops. Didn't see that post above.

bender

What time is it?
Just finished in a little under 2.5 hours. It might not have the emotional impact of a game like Journey or carry the message of a game like Flower but it really does feel like the follow-up to those games. I can't recommend it enough The visuals and sound track are amazing. I really hope the sound track gets a release on vinyl.

Son of a bitch I went to pre order and the PS+ discount is gone.

Yeah, it was a mistake to hold off the reviews until after the pre-order price was gone. I would've bought the game for $16 if the reviews are glowing. I won't for $20 knowing that there was just a cheaper price. I'll wait until a new sale.

mrqs

Just finished it, my impressions:

It's Journey underwater.
It's really just like Journey, many of the same story beats and storytelling cues. Didn't like that, but it's pretty and has an good soundtrack.

It's repetitive, tha gameplay changes a bit by the end but it's mostly the same thing from all the way through. The "Story" is a mixture of Journey with Flower, by the end you're an powerfull being and goes on to do pretty things.

I mean, i wish i liked it more, but the quality and autorship gap between an game like Abzu and Journey/Inside is pretty noticeble (and Abzu is not nearly as polished). I felt i was watching for a large portion of the time, sometimes it had puzzles but they were the same style from beggining to end. They were creative on the visuals, but gameplay and puzzle wise...
I would say it's an nice game for those who deeply wants something that mimics Journey but it's not as good.

SxP

Yeah, it was a mistake to hold off the reviews until after the pre-order price was gone. I would've bought the game for $16 if the reviews are glowing. I won't for $20 knowing that there was just a cheaper price. I'll wait until a new sale.

Yeah, same for me. I was ready to buy the game, but then I read they embargoed reviews until after the discount had ended. Sale or PS+ for me now.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I think I just finished the game in less than two hours, I kinda.. did not expect it to be this short.

Top Bottom