• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Academic scandal at UNC-Chapel Hill involving basketball and football programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird article, this "scandal" has been known about for years, and is brought up from time to time. Investigations have taken place, and it's been determined that there's no wrongdoing. Easy classes exist. The tone of this article is pretty hilarious. "Maybe the ugliest academic scandal in NCAA history. "

Lol, dream on buddy. I don't expect anything to come of this. Full disclosure: I'm a huge UNC fan.

I thought UNC itself has discovered the academic fraud from an internal investigation or am I getting the details wrong?

iamblades

I thought UNC itself has discovered the academic fraud from an internal investigation or am I getting the details wrong?

Nope you are right. The thing is UNC basically said 'all these classes are fraudulent, but we are going to stop digging because it started in 2007 and only affects football, trust us' and the NCAA just went 'eh, whatever, something something jurisdiction, too busy fucking up penn state' and looked the other way. If shit like this was going on for well over 10 years, the NCAA might have no other choice given the outrage that is sure to come from the other schools and the general public.

I'd like to think that if the NCAA hammered USC over Reggie Bush, they at least will make the appearance of proclaiming, "investigation is on-going"

But I doubt it.

This whole situation is pretty damn sad, and I say that as a huge UNC bball fan (my second favorite ACC team after BC). Forget a penalty, what steps, if any, is the NCAA going to take to make sure this doesn't happen again?

Can you guess where he's from based on the hate? (I don't get the Urban Liar comment, what's that about?)

LSU coach.

alstein

If they don't do something, you're going to see every school start doing this blatantly, there's no reason not to. The APR system encourages this as is. (it punishes schools that give legit grades, and rewards schools for grade inflation)

This could also impact UNC grads, if this continues to leak out- employers might see UNC as a place where you get easy grades= less of an education, and might discount the degree.

Also, I think the media (at least the non-grads) is out for some blood, and the NCAA is an even bigger punching bag that is unpopular, so I think this will continue.

krzy123

Also the current ACC commish John Swofford, from what I've read was the AD at UNC while this was happening.

This guy should be fired, but not for this, for his shitty handling of the TV contracts and him buddying up w/ fucking Raycom sports.

alstein

Also the current ACC commish John Swofford, from what I've read was the AD at UNC while this was happening.

This guy should be fired, but not for this, for his shitty handling of the TV contracts and him buddying up w/ fucking Raycom sports.

There was an attempt to fire him last year, but I think it fell a vote or two short.

I'd love to see some ACC AD's go nuclear on this, I think it needs to be done, otherwise nothing will be done. The NCAA does not want to go back and re-do their investigation, it makes them look either stupid or corrupt for not doing something about this the first time.

Antyx

Neo Member
The thing is that yes it goes on everywhere...Times have changed for every school and to get those 4 and 5 star athletes to come to your school, some require and ask for help (not talking about money, just classes)...As I am from NC and live 25 minutes from Raleigh, I can tell you that all MooU (N.C. State) fans and the school itself have an inferiority complex...If only those idiots from Crack Ride (Pack Pride) who keep digging this stuff up would stop worrying about UNC so much...It just came out this week that Stayt is the 8th easiest university to graduate from yet their athletic graduation rate sucks...They have some of the same easy courses just like everyone else...They also have 3 year and 4 year athletes who still take 1st year courses...Just keep pushing out Cowgineers and Chickenpreneurs and worry about your haystacks...

Sad for actual students. UNC Chapel Hill is one of the best schools in the country.

That's the saddest part of all of this. I'm a Duke guy, but Carolina is a good school. It's my state school. I almost went there for school and I have friends that go there for school. But if this is true (and when there's this much smoke, there's got to be a fire), the reputation of the school will be irreparably damaged.

All of that doesn't absolve the school of their wrongdoing and the NCAA should come down hard on them, but as I said earlier, this is less indicative of a single rogue school trying to circumvent the rules, as it is of the current poisoned climate of college sports. Big time college programs have placed athletic excellence (and all of the benefits of athletic excellence) over academic integrity. Everybody's cheating like this in some way or another, because it's the only way to keep up with the other heavyweight programs.
I'd draw a parallel to cycling or the steroid era in baseball. Sure, you could do the honorable thing and be a "clean" guy, but it's a lot harder to resist that temptation when you're finishing miles behind the rest of your competitors. Is there a simple solution to this problem? No, if there was someone would have thought it out by now.

And I hate that State fans dug so hard to find dirt on UNC. That just strikes me as petty. I'm a Duke guy, but I want to take my rivals out on the field, not have them struck down by the NCAA (okay, maybe Maryland).

Crisco

Banned
The thing is that yes it goes on everywhere...Times have changed for every school and to get those 4 and 5 star athletes to come to your school, some require and ask for help (not talking about money, just classes)...As I am from NC and live 25 minutes from Raleigh, I can tell you that all MooU (N.C. State) fans and the school itself have an inferiority complex...If only those idiots from Crack Ride (Pack Pride) who keep digging this stuff up would stop worrying about UNC so much...It just came out this week that Stayt is the 8th easiest university to graduate from yet their athletic graduation rate sucks...They have some of the same easy courses just like everyone else...They also have 3 year and 4 year athletes who still take 1st year courses...Just keep pushing out Cowgineers and Chickenpreneurs and worry about your haystacks...

Hahahahahaha, that is some pure uncut salt right there. If anyone is interested, check out the Inside Carolina forums for more of this golden material.

As an NCSU grad and Aerospace Cowgineer, I find this hilarious. Reminds me of an old joke:

What do NC State fans and UNC fans have in common?
Neither of them went to UNC.

alstein

And I hate that State fans dug so hard to find dirt on UNC. That just strikes me as petty. I'm a Duke guy, but I want to take my rivals out on the field, not have them struck down by the NCAA (okay, maybe Maryland).

It's payback for the job that was done on State's program in 1989, where their program got near death-penaltied for stuff that nowadays would just be secondary. The UNC BOG had a real history in the 80's of piling it on other ACC schools, so this is payback, and alumni tend to have long memories.

For non-Americans: College sports is the closest you get to Euro soccer rivalries in the US.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

You have to understand that NC State fans and alumni have been denigrated by UNC fans/alumni for forever, having their holier than thou "Carolina Way" rubbed in their faces at every turn. Duke fans (and UVA fans) don't have to deal with the "Carolina Way" because they are arguably more prestigious institutions than UNC. Thats why when its Duke vs UNC, they bill it as the elitist snobs vs "the University of the People". Ask an NCSU or UK fan how they feel about the Carolina Way and glee they feel that its just a big fraud.

Crisco

Banned
And again, athletes at all D1 schools in revenue sports get preferential treatment. No one is denying this. They take easy classes, get study guides, and extensive tutoring. But they at least have to go to class, take tests, and write their own papers. They don't have fake classes created for them and given grades just for breathing.

It's payback for the job that was done on State's program in 1989, where their program got near death-penaltied for stuff that nowadays would just be secondary. The UNC BOG had a real history in the 80's of piling it on other ACC schools, so this is payback, and alumni tend to have long memories.

For non-Americans: College sports is the closest you get to Euro soccer rivalries in the US.

You have to understand that NC State fans and alumni have been denigrated by UNC fans/alumni for forever, having their holier than thou "Carolina Way" rubbed in their faces at every turn. Duke fans (and UVA fans) don't have to deal with the "Carolina Way" because they are arguably more prestigious institutions than UNC. Thats why when its Duke vs UNC, they bill it as the elitist snobs vs "the University of the People". Ask an NCSU or UK fan how they feel about the Carolina Way and glee they feel that its just a big fraud.

Yeah I get all of that. It still rubs me the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom