• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to Jack Kirby, Stan Lee was an uncreative hack (1990 Interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VARIA

I feel bad for Jack, poor guy went to the grave with huge resentments it seems.

GROTH: When did you meet Stan Lee for the first time?

KIRBY: I met Stan Lee when I first went to work for Marvel. He was a little boy. When Joe and I were doing Captain America. He was about 13 years old. He’s about five years younger than me. I thought Stan Lee was a bother. You know he was the kind of kid that liked to fool around — open and close doors on you. Yeah. In fact, once I told Joe to throw him out of the room. I couldn’t do anything about Stan Lee because he was the publisher’s cousin. He ran back and forth around New York doing things that he was told to do. He would slam doors and come up to you and look over your shoulder and annoy you in a lot of ways. Joe [Simon] would probably elaborate on it.

GROTH: And you two collaborated on all the monster stories?

KIRBY: Stan Lee and I never collaborated on anything! I’ve never seen Stan Lee write anything. I used to write the stories just like I always did.

GROTH: On all the monster stories it says “Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.” What did he do to warrant his name being on them?

KIRBY: Nothing! OK?

GROTH: Did he dialogue them?

KIRBY: No, I dialogued them. If Stan Lee ever got a thing dialogued, he would get it from someone working in the office. I would write out the whole story on the back of every page. I would write the dialogue on the back or a description of what was going on. Then Stan Lee would hand them to some guy and he would write in the dialogue. In this way Stan Lee made more pay than he did as an editor. This is the way Stan Lee became the writer. Besides collecting the editor’s pay, he collected writer’s pay. I’m not saying Stan Lee had a bad business head on. I think he took advantage of whoever was working for him.

GROTH: Let me ask you something that I think is an important point: Stan wrote the way you guys worked — and I think he’s referring to the monster stories specifically here — he wrote, “I had only to give Jack an outline of the story and he would draw the entire strip breaking down the outline into exactly the right number of panels. Then it remained for me to take Jack’s artwork and add the captions and dialogue which would hopefully add a dimension of reality to sharply delineated characterization.” So he’s saying that he gave you a plot, and you would draw it, and he would add the captions and dialogue.

ROZ KIRBY: I remember Jack would call him up and say it’s going to be this kind of story or that kind of story and just send him the story. And he’d write in everything on the side.

KIRBY: Remember this: Stan Lee was an editor. He worked from nine to five doing business for Martin Goodman. In other words he didn’t do any writing in the office. He did Martin Goodman’s business. That was his function. There were people coming up to the office to talk all the time. They weren’t always artists, they were business people. Stan Lee was the first man they would see and Stan Lee would see if he could get them in to see Martin Goodman. That was Stan Lee’s function.

GROTH: Can you tell me give me your version of how The Fantastic Four came about? Did Stan go to you…?

KIRBY: No, Stan didn’t know what a mutation was. I was studying that kind of stuff all the time. I would spot it in the newspapers and science magazines. I still buy magazines that are fanciful. I don’t read as much science fiction as I did at that time. 1 was a student of science fiction and I began to make up my own story patterns, my own type of people. Stan Lee doesn’t think the way I do. Stan Lee doesn’t think of people when he thinks of [characters]. I think of [characters] as real people. If I drew a war story it would be two guys caught in the war. The Fantastic Four to me are people who were in a jam — suddenly you find yourself invisible, suddenly you find yourself flexible.

ROZ KIRBY: Gary wants to know how you created The Fantastic Four.

GROTH: Did you approach Marvel or —

KIRBY: It came about very simply. I came in [to the Marvel offices] and they were moving out the furniture, they were taking desks out — and I needed the work! I had a family and a house and all of a sudden Marvel is coming apart. Stan Lee is sitting on a chair crying. He didn’t know what to do, he’s sitting in a chair crying —he was just still out of his adolescence. I told him to stop crying. I says. “Go in to Martin and tell him to stop moving the furniture out, and I’ll see that the books make money.” And I came up with a raft of new books and all these books began to make money. Somehow they had faith in me. I knew 1 could do it, but I had to come up with fresh characters that nobody had seen before. I came up with The Fantastic Four. I came up with Thor. Whatever it took to sell a book I came up with. Stan Lee has never been editorial minded. It wasn’t possible for a man like Stan Lee to come up with new things — or old things for that matter. Stan Lee wasn’t a guy that read or that told stories. Stan Lee was a guy that knew where the papers were or who was coming to visit that day. Stan Lee is essentially an office worker, OK? I’m essentially something else: I’m a storyteller. My job is to sell my stories. When I saw this happening at Marvel I stopped the whole damned bunch. I stopped them from moving the furniture! Stan Lee was sitting on some kind of a stool, and he was crying.

GROTH: Who came up with the name “Fantastic Four”?

KIRBY: I did. All right? I came up with all those names. I came up with Thor because I’ve always been a history buff. I know all about Thor and Balder and Mjolnir, the hammer. Nobody ever bothered with that stuff except me. I loved it in high school and I loved it in my pre-high school days. It was the thing that kept my mind off the general poverty in the area. When I went to school that’s what kept me in school — it wasn’t mathematics and it wasn’t geography; it was history.

GROTH: Stan says he conceptualized virtually everything in The Fantastic Four — that he came up with all the characters. And then he said that he wrote a detailed synopsis for Jack to follow.

ROZ KIRBY: I’ve never seen anything.

KIRBY: I’ve never seen it, and of course I would say that’s an outright lie.

GROTH: There was a period between ’61 and ’63 when you were just drawing a tremendous number of books.

ROZ KIRBY: May I make one point? In all these years, when Jack was still creating things, Stan Lee hasn’t been creating things. When Jack left Stan, there wasn’t anything new created by Stan.

KIRBY: Yeah. Stan never created anything new after that. If he says he created things all that easily, what did he create after I left? That’s the point. Have they done anything new? He’ll probably tell you, “I didn’t have to.”

Read the rest of the interview here: http://www.tcj.com/jack-kirby-interview/

Stan Lee talk starts on page 6.

Replicant

From this interview, Stan Lee sounds like that high school jock who got the credit for the writing done by the creative geek in his class.

DSFan1970

>GROTH: There was a period between ’61 and ’63 when you were just drawing a tremendous number of books.

>ROZ KIRBY: May I make one point? In all these years, when Jack was still creating things, Stan Lee hasn’t been creating things. When Jack left Stan, there wasn’t anything new created by Stan.

>KIRBY: Yeah. Stan never created anything new after that. If he says he created things all that easily, what did he create after I left? That’s the point. Have they done anything new? He’ll probably tell you, “I didn’t have to.”

This is pretty true. The context of this interview was likely the non returning of Kirbys art from Marvel. Also Groth and e Comics Journal were relentlessly anti Marvel and mainstream comics in general from what I recollect. I was always depressed about comics reading that magazine.

adj_noun

Yeah we know. Bob Kane was a douche too.

Time for the clown painting story.

“Bob had gotten to the point where he never drew anything. Never drew anything on the Batman comics, anyway. [Sheldon] Moldoff was ghosting them all and when he didn’t, someone else did. The only thing I think Bob ever drew was when we’d be out somewhere, in a restaurant or someplace, and a pretty girl would come over to him and say, ‘Are you really the man who draws Batman?’ Then he could whip out a little sketch for her, a big sketch if she was wearing something low-cut and would bend over to watch him draw.

One day I’m over at his house to discuss this newspaper strip idea we had and he’s talking about who we might get to draw it. I was going to write it and we were going to get someone else to draw it. I’m not sure what Bob was going to do on it except sign his name. I said to him, 'Bob, isn’t it disappointing to you that you don’t draw any more? You were once such a great artist.’ He wasn’t but you had to talk to Bob that way.

He said, 'Oh, no. Let me show you something.’ He took me into a little room in his house. It was his studio. I didn’t even know he still had a studio. It was all set up with easels and things and there were paintings, paintings of clowns. You know the kind. Like the ones Red Skelton used to do. Just these insipid portraits of clowns, all signed very large, 'Bob Kane.’ He was so proud of them. He said, 'These are the paintings that are going to make me in the world of art. Batman was a big deal in one world and these paintings will soon be in every gallery in the world.’ He thought the Louvre was going to take down the Mona Lisa to put up his clown paintings. I didn’t have the heart to tell him.

So a few months later, I’m up at DC and I ran into Eddie Herron. Eddie was another writer up there and we got to talking and Bob’s name came up. Eddie said, 'Did you hear? Bob’s getting sued by one of his ghost artists.’

I said, 'How is that possible? Shelly Moldoff’s suing Bob? But they had a clear deal. Shelly knew he wasn’t going to get credit or anything…’

Eddie said, 'No, not Shelly.’ Bob was being sued by the person who’d painted the clowns for him…”

-Arnold Drake

Fuchsdh

Kind of funny Kirby says that Stan Lee never wrote anything and it was mostly him, because if you've ever read Kirby's solo work you can tell that's a load of crap. Guy was a great artist and definitely got shafted, as did many artists of the period, but he's had a clear personal interest in making shit up too.

Slayven

After seeing the shit Stan Lee has created after Marvel, I 1000% believe it.

fuck his cameos too.
His Superman was pretty good

51E695N0A5L.jpg

And lets not pretend New Gods were anthing to write home about

Hagi

Man that's scathing.

I didn't know this. News to me. If everyone knows this why is Stan Lee so revered by the nerdverse?

Nobody looks that far back all they know is of kooky Stan Lee who created Marvel, all their well known heroes and makes a bunch of cameos in their movies. Excelsior true believers!

Shit like this is depressing when you think about all the artists who got fucked over. Bob Kane was human scum.

Man that's scathing.

I didn't know this. News to me. If everyone knows this why is Stan Lee so revered by the nerdverse?

It's not like Lee did nothing. Kirby did the bulk of their work together but Stan was still in charge of overseeing like 14 or so books. He may have co-written a bunch, but his contributions are significant. Plus I'm not sure Kirby is being super honest about the dialogue part, because Kirby dialogue and Lee dialogue are noticeably different. He's guilty of overselling himself and being charismatic, but he isn't a piece of shit on the level of say, Bob Kane.

adj_noun

Nobody looks that far back all they know is of kooky Stan Lee who created Marvel, all their well known heroes and makes a bunch of cameos in their movies. Excelsior true believers!

Shit like this is depressing when you think about all the artists who got fucked over. Bob Kane was human scum.

The fact that Bill Finger isn't at least as much of a comic related household name as Bob Kane is just wrong.

He's thankfully been getting more recognition as the years go on, but still.

Slayven

It's not like Lee did nothing. Kirby did the bulk of their work together but Stan was still in charge of overseeing like 14 or so books. He may have co-written a bunch, but his contributions are significant. He's guilty of overselling himself and being charismatic, but he isn't a piece of shit on the level of say, Bob Kane.

Stan Lee is a sales legend he came up with Power Rangers 10 years before Saban did.

MC Safety

Lee had great runs on books Kirby didn't pencil. And, of course, there's the matter of the Kirby artwork Lee rejected because it didn't further the particular book's plot. This seems to indicate the relationship was collaborative, and that Kirby received direction on the stories from Lee.

I can understand Kirby's anger and frustration with the system, but Lee isn't wholly responsible for that.

Ponn

Banned
"Hey 80's kid, everyone you looked up to and admired back then like Bill Cosby, Hulk Hogan and Stan Lee, yea guess what? They were all really a bunch of assholes. Oh yea and to rub salt in your wound we're going to make a live action Transformers movie with sequels but they are going to suuuuuuuuck. Have a nice day!"

Kevinroc

Kirby definitely had problems with Lee. He did a parody of Lee with Funky Flashman at DC. (And was maybe even more vicious with Houseroy, a parody of Roy Thomas.)

Early Spider-man was like 80% Lee if Ditko's squirrelshit crazy randian writing in the future is any indication.

"Hey 80's kid, everyone you looked up to and admired back then like Bill Cosby, Hulk Hogan and Stan Lee, yea guess what? They were all really a bunch of assholes. Oh yea and to rub salt in your wound we're going to make a live action Transformers movie with sequels but they are going to suuuuuuuuck. Have a nice day!"

Not even remotely comparable.

Ridley327

Kind of funny Kirby says that Stan Lee never wrote anything and it was mostly him, because if you've ever read Kirby's solo work you can tell that's a load of crap. Guy was a great artist and definitely got shafted, as did many artists of the period, but he's had a clear personal interest in making shit up too.

Pretty much. It's clear that Stan wasn't entirely the solo creative genius his press would lead you to believe, but Kirby claiming that most of the writing during their stints together was his words is a bit on the bullshit side.

Stan did steal a lot of things (or more accurately, take credit where he didn't deserve much, if any) and his creative output without Kirby speaks for itself (BOOBARELLA ANYONE?). BUT. Kirby is bitter and resentful to the point of ridiculousness. People who know comics know who fucking Jack Kirby is. It's not like he's buried to time, never to be remembered. He just hates Stan for, in his mind, weaseling his way into most of the Spider-Man money. Even though Stan did, in fact, write the vast majority of early Spider-Man work.

No way anything that came out of the Thing or Human Torch's mouth during the Lee/Kirby run wasn't 100% Lee. Some cornball lingo back then daddy-o.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
cause everyone else is dead and he's still alive.

bingo bango bongo.

and when someone who really believes the Stan Lee lies sees a story like this they'll write it off as rubbish and hearsay.

Jigorath

Banned
I was going to make a snarky joke about Kirby being salty but then I remembered he's dead, might not be appropriate.

Cheebo

Banned
Early Spider-man was like 80% Lee if Ditko's squirrelshit crazy randian writing in the future is any indication.

Not even remotely comparable.
Ditko has claimed responsibility for much of the writing. He said he was the one who plotted out all the stories.

Ditko:
“Stan never knew what was in my plotted stories,” the artist wrote to the [Comic Book Marketplace] editors, “until I took in the penciled story, the cover, my script and Sol Brodsky took the material from me and took it all into Stan’s office, so I had to leave without seeing or talking to Stan.”

Kevinroc

cause everyone else is dead and he's still alive.

Steve Ditko's still alive. He just chooses not to speak. John Romita, Sr. is still alive. Roy Thomas is still alive. Jim Steranko is still alive. And even some of those secondary creators at Marvel like Gerry Conway probably know what's what.

Ditko has claimed responsibility for much of the writing. He said he was the one who plotted out all the stories.

Ditko:

Lol no. Ditko is full of crap. It's clear as day what Stan wrote and what he wrote, you can see the writing styles being fundamentally different on each of their independent works.

I will forever love the man for inventing Kirby Dots, and Kirby Tech

Even if New Gods was on really bad drugs.

Stan Lee's cameo is the worst part of every movie with a Stan Lee cameo.

Unless you just watch the cameos, one after another.

kswiston

Hell yeah, if he had said John Bryne I would agree with him, that dude is a piece of shit.

John Byrne is sort of like Orson Scott Card, where it is clear that they are talented (or at least were at one point), but they are such horrible people that you feel bad liking their work.

Slayven

Lol no. Ditko is full of crap. It's clear as day what Stan wrote and what he wrote, you can see the writing styles being fundamentally different on each of their independent works.

Even if New Gods was on really bad drugs.

Not even the purest cocaine on earth could make the 4th world good or happen. Despite DC keeps trying. No one gives a shit for anything but Darkseed.

Yeah that is super science and cosmic power.

John Byrne is sort of like Orson Scott Card, where it is clear that they are talented (or at least were at one point), but they are such horrible people that you feel bad liking their work.

The man did create the modern Superman

LMAO

I mean, Stan Lee doesn't belong in the company of those other two fucks, but holy shit..the rest is truly our living nightmare!

I like Lightwave, but that is about it. And think about it, Kirby wanted to turn Marvel Thor and Asgard into the 4th World. Can you imagine?

Oh god I can only imagine how weird it would turn out considering how fucking insane Marvel's Cosmic stuff became.

NeonZ

I have no idea why they won't just let New Gods die. Nobody. NOBODY likes Orion.

The New Gods are pretty much the most well known "DC Cosmic" concepts that aren't just random Lanterns though. They have nothing to replace them with. It's not like they get on-goings nowadays. The New Gods and elements related to them like the Source (Wall) just pop up in various titles when the writers want a "cosmic" story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom