• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to Jack Kirby, Stan Lee was an uncreative hack (1990 Interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a letter by Stan Lee in '99

To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to go on record with the following statement…

I have always considered Steve Ditko to be Spider-Man’s co-creator.

When I first told Steve my idea for a shy, teenaged high-school science student who’d be bitten by a radioactive spider, thus gaining the ability to stick to walls and shoot webs, Steve took to it like a duck to water.

Steve’s illustrated version of Peter Parker/Spider-Man and his coterie of supporting characters was more compelling and dramatic than I had dared hope it would be. From his very first panel, Steve created and established the perfect mood and gestalt for Spider-Man.

Also it goes without saying that Steve’s costume design was an actual masterpiece of imagination. Thanks to Steve Ditko, Spidey’s costume has become one of the world’s most recognizable visual icons.

Nor can I forget to credit Steve with the many, many brilliant plots he furnished as the strip continued to increase in popularity with each passing month. So adept was he at story-telling, that Steve eventually did most of the plotting and illustrations while I, of course, continued to provide the dialogue and captions.

I write this to ensure that Steve Ditko receives the credit to which he is so justly entitled.

Yours sincerely,

Stan Lee

and a statement he made in a playboy interview last year

“There was never a time when it just said ‘by Stan Lee.’ It was always ‘by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko’ or ‘by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.’ I made sure their names were always as big as mine. As far as what they were paid, I had nothing to do with that. They were hired as freelance artists, and they worked as freelance artists. At some point they apparently felt they should be getting more money. Fine, it was up to them to talk to the publisher. It had nothing to do with me. I would have liked to have gotten more money too. And twice, not once, I offered a job to Jack Kirby. I said to him, ‘Jack, why don’t you work for Marvel with me?’ I was the art director at the time. I said, ‘You be the art director. I’ll just be the editor and head writer, and you’ll have that security.’ He wouldn’t do it. He didn’t want a staff job. With him, as with Ditko, I don’t see where they were unfairly treated. Jack was a great guy and so is Steve. I’m sorry anybody feels there’s any acrimony. I loved them both.”

The New Gods are pretty much the most well known "DC Cosmic" concepts that aren't just random Lanterns though. They have nothing to replace them with. It's not like they get on goings nowadays, the New Gods and elements related to them like the Source (Wall) just pop up in various titles when the writers want a "cosmic" story.

Yeah but DC's magical stuff has always been the selling point. Nobody reads or really, cares, about any of the cosmic stuff other than the GL books.

It's the inverse with Marvel where the cosmic is best and nobody gives a shit about the magic.

And yeah, Stan has never tried to get Jack and Ditko's names erased. Comics fans FUCKING KNOW WHO JACK KIRBY AND STEVE DITKO are. Just because people don't know in general consciousness has less to do with anything Stan did and more to do with the fact that he's alive and shows up in a ton of popular culture.

Slayven

The New Gods are pretty much the most well known "DC Cosmic" concepts that aren't just random Lanterns though. They have nothing to replace them with. It's not like they get on-goings nowadays. The New Gods and elements related to them like the Source (Wall) just pop up in various titles when the writers want a "cosmic" story.

Remember when they tried to breath new life and revamp the concept

Takion_1.jpg

DC and Marvel owe me so many quarters

Stan Lee's response to that interview was:

"I think he's gone beyond of no return," Lee said. "Some of the things he said, there is no way he could ever explain that to me. I would have to think he's either lost his mind or he's a very evil person."

It's worth noting that before Marvel Kirby ran his own comic book studio and ran it the exact same way Marvel was run in regards to royalties, creator credit, not returning artwork etc. Kirby only had a problem with it when he wasn't the boss.

Kirby also claimed later in life the Joe Simon didn't write anything either.

kswiston

Not a surprise. I thought he did a bit more than that though.

He did. Stan Lee still writes stuff occasionally (or has in the past decade), and it still reads like the cheesy dialogue in his 60s books. As others have said, solo Kirby stuff did not read the same.

Obviously Kirby came up with all the visual designs, and likely did most of the plotting (As was Marvel's custom). Saying that he did all of the dialogue is BS though.

Ditko doesnt take credit for any writing, just for plotting. And he's far fro m the only Lee collaborator to make the claim that they basically did the stories themselves and Lee plugged in dialogue after the finished art was in.

Isn't that basically the Marvel Method, as it was known? The only detail in contention is whether Lee did the plotting part before the art or not, which, given many of his collaborators say he did not... I guess draw your own conclusions from there.

Either way its obvious that Lee's cornball sensibilities were a good match for the grim, hard sci fi loving artists he worked with. Lee and Ditko was greatness. Ditko alone was rigid reading. Kirby and Lee was greatness. Kirby alone was raw, grand ideas without a heart.

And Lee alone is just awful.

Lee admitted that he plotted the later issues. Most of the second half of Ditko's ASM run has him credited as the plotter.

Early FF is bananas.

Dr. Doom's first story involves taking The Invisible Girl hostage, and forcing the others to go back in time so that they can steal Blackbeard's treasure, which contains Merlin's jewels that he can use to take over the world. In the process, it turns out The Thing (in disguise) starts the legend of Blackbeard.

There's a plot where the fantastic four go broke because Reed lost all their money in stock trading, so Namor buys a movie studio just for kicks, and decides to produce a movie about the fantastic four. The movie is just an excuse to embarrass them so he can get with Sue, but they beat him and make the movie anyway, thus recovering their money.

Wonder who wrote those

Slayven

Early FF is bananas.

Dr. Doom's first story involves taking The Invisible Girl hostage, and forcing the others to go back in time so that they can steal Blackbeard's treasure, which contains Merlin's jewels that he can use to take over the world. In the process, it turns out The Thing (in disguise) starts the legend of Blackbeard.

There's a plot where the fantastic four go broke because Reed lost all their money in stock trading, so Namor buys a movie studio just for kicks, and decides to produce a movie about the fantastic four. The movie is just an excuse to embarrass them so he can get with Sue, but they beat him and make the movie anyway, thus recovering their money.

Wonder who wrote those

Blackbeard-Thing.jpg

My favorite

namorsue21.jpg

Not surprised.

And Stan Lee not knowing how to write characters doesn't come as a surprise. All of his writings and audio on how to write for comics are shit.

well yeah

I mean everyone know Jack was the man

same birthday as me. that's the reason

No, it's because he lived on the same block I used to!

Volimar

Kirby was awesome and Stan has done some shady shit, but you can't take what Kirby had to say about Lee as gospel. They were on the outs a lot.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Kirby was just salty as fuck, it's been recorded that Stan did help create all the characters he has credit with.

Blues1990

Regardless of who did what, we can all agree that these men had contributed with creating some of the most iconic comic book characters that, for better or for worse, will be remembered for years to come.

akira28

Eh since Simonson they have tried to shy away from the "We're actually aliens!" thing.

True, but they're still basically another Marvel-DC analogue. Multi-dimensional, high-technology gods from a higher plane, with a primary evil figure who stays fucking up on Earth, meddling in everything, sitting on chairs and drinking Doom's wine.

it's never 1:1, but I read both publishers, and you can sometimes go panel for panel and see Marvel or DC doing something just like what the other is doing. Giant planet made up of parts of all the other universes where everyone has to battle it out?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Seems believable. Having your work basically stolen must suck

People atleast revered Kirby and referenced him and recognized his touch.

Think about someone like Bill Finger who was more or less ignored for much of his life and only recently was recognized for his character-defining influence on Batman.

rbenchley

With Stan Lee:
Fantastic Four
Dr. Doom
Hulk
Thor
X-Men
Black Panther
Adam Warlock
Nick Fury
Silver Surfer
Inhumans
Ant Man
Avengers

Going solo:
The Demon (very cool concept, shitty writing)
Kamandi (bad 50s sci-fi)
OMAC (just awful)
New Gods (overrated nonsense and Thanos is far superior to Darkseid, even if he is a ripoff)
Forever People (more shitty New Gods stories, but with hippies!)
Eternals (New Gods retread after the Fourth World bombed at DC)
Machine Man (only good after Nextwave)
Devil Dinosaur (trash, but once again I enjoyed the appearance in Nextwave)

Jack Kirby is a titan of the industry, but to take sole credit for Kirby & Lee Marvel creations is bullshit. Lee's writing is very bombastic and melodramatic, but it's a thousand times better than the horseshit that Kirby churned out at DC or his return to Marvel. I've always pictured their collaboration like Jobs and Wozniak at Apple. Wozniak was the technical genius, but without Jobs, the company never leaves the garage.

True, but they're still basically another Marvel-DC analogue. Multi-dimensional, high-technology gods from a higher plane, with a primary evil figure who stays fucking up on Earth, meddling in everything, sitting on chairs and drinking Doom's wine.

it's never 1:1, but I read both publishers, and you can sometimes go panel for panel and see Marvel or DC doing something just like what the other is doing. Giant planet made up of parts of all the other universes where everyone has to battle it out?

Well yeah, but you can do that for literally every single thing either does. They take turns ripping each other off or just rip each other off concurrently. It's how they operate.

Slayven

With Stan Lee:
Fantastic Four
Dr. Doom
Hulk
Thor
X-Men
Black Panther
Adam Warlock
Nick Fury
Silver Surfer
Inhumans
Ant Man
Avengers

Going solo:
The Demon (very cool concept, shitty writing)
Kamandi (bad 50s sci-fi)
OMAC (just awful)
New Gods (overrated nonsense and Thanos is far superior to Darkseid, even if he is a ripoff)
Forever People (more shitty New Gods stories, but with hippies!)
Eternals (New Gods retread after the Fourth World bombed at DC)
Machine Man (only good after Nextwave)
Devil Dinosaur (trash, but once again I enjoyed the appearance in Nextwave)

Jack Kirby is a titan of the industry, but to take sole credit for Kirby & Lee Marvel creations is bullshit. Lee's writing is very bombastic and melodramatic, but it's a thousand times better than the horseshit that Kirby churned out at DC or his return to Marvel. I've always pictured their collaboration like Jobs and Wozniak at Apple. Wozniak was the technical genius, but without Jobs, the company never leaves the garage.

I agree with you on everything but Eternals. Sersi alone>>>>>>>New Gods.

And I will fight any man that shits on them.

Well yeah, but you can do that for literally every single thing either does. They take turns ripping each other off or just rip each other off concurrently. It's how they operate.

it's called "homage"

Slayven

Don't forget Arishem the judge, the celestial who destroys planet with a thumbs down

See Celestials exist on many plains of existence, what you see as a thumbs up and thumbs down is actually your mind trying to comprehend an event of cosmic importance. If you had Cosmic Awareness you will see what I mean.

Kirby was just salty as fuck, it's been recorded that Stan did help create all the characters he has credit with.

Kirby did probably 80% percent on the work on the things they collaborated on, and Lee got most of the credit and the money. Marvel dicked Kirby around for decades, so yeah by the time he was in his 70s in that interview he was pretty angry and bitter about it.

Also Lee didnt get ahead just by his oqn skills, he got treated and dealt with better from the start because he had family that was tight with Timely/Marvel publisher Martin Goodman. Stan got himself a better deal because he was allowed to by Goodman, not because he was some brilliant business negotiator

it's called "homage"

"Oh shit Batman brought back Jason Todd and turned him into a bad guy while the book turned into an international thriller, well we better bring back Bucky and make him a bad guy while Cap goes on an international thriller. Nobody will notice!"

Also nothing is fucking stupider than MO-GO! THE LIVING PLANET!

Slayven

Was the thing stronger back then?

No, just there been stronger characters created since. But the fantastic four actually get more powerful the longer they live because they absorbed more cosmic radiation.

Too damn late at night to be talking nerd shit.

Shaanyboi

Banned
"Oh shit Batman brought back Jason Todd and turned him into a bad guy while the book turned into an international thriller, well we better bring back Bucky and make him a bad guy while Cap goes on an international thriller. Nobody will notice!"

Also nothing is fucking better than MO-GO! THE LIVING PLANET!

fixed that for you

I don't even think they do it on purpose. They are just different frequencies tapping from the same source it seems like.

I know they do it on purpose, I'v talked to writers who've worked with both that have said as such. I'm not even saying it's a bad thing. Just that it's well, standard practice.

No, just there been stronger characters created since. But the fantastic four actually get more powerful the longer they live because they absorbed more cosmic radiation.

Too damn late at night to be talking nerd shit.

It's never too late to be talking nerd shit bruh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom