• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to Jack Kirby, Stan Lee was an uncreative hack (1990 Interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

I know they do it on purpose, I'v talked to writers who've worked with both that have said as such. I'm not even saying it's a bad thing. Just that it's well, standard practice.

It's never too late to be talking nerd shit bruh.

those writers could be considered The Source.

I've always been more partial to DCs Circe
Gp82KNwl.jpg

It's pretty obvious, almost in your face. But not like they are the only industry that does it,

And like I said it's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes you get good writers/editors that take the poorly handled way DC or Marvel did something and actually do it right.

kswiston

I agree with you on everything but Eternals. Sersi alone>>>>>>>New Gods.

And I will fight any man that shits on them.

How much of your Sersi love is actually from Kirby's stuff vs her time on the Avengers 15-20 years later though? Kirby's Eternals run was 20 issues.

rbenchley

I agree with you on everything but Eternals. Sersi alone>>>>>>>New Gods.

And I will fight any man that shits on them.

Fair enough. ;-) I wasn't ripping on the Eternals as much as I was pointing out that Kirby was plagiarizing himself a bit. I liked Sersi well enough when she was in the Avengers and I actually really liked the Neil Gaiman scripted Eternals series.

Slayven

How much of your Sersi love is actually from Kirby's stuff vs her time on the Avengers 15-20 years later though? Kirby's Eternals run was 20 issues.
You right, if i had a dime for every time a later writer came and polished a turd

Fair enough. ;-) I wasn't ripping on the Eternals as much as I was pointing out that Kirby was plagiarizing himself a bit. I liked Sersi well enough when she was in the Avengers and I actually really liked the Neil Gaiman scripted Eternals series.

No problem,

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Back then I think they had his strength tapped out at lifting 10 tons.

No, just there been stronger characters created since. But the fantastic four actually get more powerful the longer they live because they absorbed more cosmic radiation.

Too damn late at night to be talking nerd shit.

Must be cause i have a hard time imagining that thing he is lifting is merely 10 tons

Man that's scathing.

I didn't know this. News to me. If everyone knows this why is Stan Lee so revered by the nerdverse?

the younger nerds havent read these stories.

His Superman was pretty good

51E695N0A5L.jpg

And lets not pretend New Gods were anthing to write home about

they influenced a lot of things. and Darkseid, Big Barda, Scott Miracle, the Furies, Desaad, Oberon and Orion are pretty cool characters.

Whatever. I just know that people will miss Stan when he passes away.

so? lots of people missed Jack when he died too.

I have no idea why they won't just let New Gods die. Nobody. NOBODY likes Orion.

they have lots of concepts and characters. sorry you're not a fan.

Not gonna lie.

His Supes wasn't horrible

Yeah it was pretty good, but man sometimes it felt like he couldn't shut up. He had that "every comic is someone's first" thing real bad so most of the time Superman wouldn't shut up about how his mild telekinesis kept his costume fine.

Lee had great runs on books Kirby didn't pencil. And, of course, there's the matter of the Kirby artwork Lee rejected because it didn't further the particular book's plot. This seems to indicate the relationship was collaborative, and that Kirby received direction on the stories from Lee.

I can understand Kirby's anger and frustration with the system, but Lee isn't wholly responsible for that.

I've never believed either of their accounts to be honest. Stan Lee didnt create after the first initial big success of Marvel because he basically changed to be a salesman/spokesman of the brand.

Also I never ever trust someone who declares they never lied about anything. Which I think Kirby says in that same interview. I didnt read it again b/c its pretty long but IIRC he says that and that he never erased a line when drawing.

Fucking comics fans.

Worship characters over the people who create them. Run talent out of the industry for asserting themselves, and then complain when only the worst of the worst are left behind.

Worst thing about comics.

Worse than Geoff Johns, even.

Walpurgis

Banned
Stan did steal a lot of things (or more accurately, take credit where he didn't deserve much, if any) and his creative output without Kirby speaks for itself (BOOBARELLA ANYONE?). BUT. Kirby is bitter and resentful to the point of ridiculousness. People who know comics know who fucking Jack Kirby is. It's not like he's buried to time, never to be remembered. He just hates Stan for, in his mind, weaseling his way into most of the Spider-Man money. Even though Stan did, in fact, write the vast majority of early Spider-Man work.

You're thinking of Stripperella, which I used to watch as a kid. It was uh...interesting.

Stan did steal a lot of things (or more accurately, take credit where he didn't deserve much, if any) and his creative output without Kirby speaks for itself (BOOBARELLA ANYONE?). BUT. Kirby is bitter and resentful to the point of ridiculousness. People who know comics know who fucking Jack Kirby is. It's not like he's buried to time, never to be remembered. He just hates Stan for, in his mind, weaseling his way into most of the Spider-Man money. Even though Stan did, in fact, write the vast majority of early Spider-Man work.

That's Steve Ditko. A different guy Stanley fucked over.

The crazy thing is, at the start of everything, Jack just wanted his original pages back. The company jerked him around for years, seemingly out of malice, and then (presumably after talking to lawyers) he got assertive about the other stuff.

kess

Thor was probably the most Kirby influenced of all the Marvel books, and lost a lot when he left for DC, but there's a massive change in writing style when Gerry Conway took over the writing credit a year later.

Kirby wrote and drew an alternative ending for Thor #169 that was nixes by Lee, which really incensed Kirby. I think Kirby's ending involved Galactus teaming up with Thor to defeat Thermal Man. I believe Kirby mentioned that Lee was trying to avoid story arcs and make issues more self contained -- in any case, his work on Thor was pretty half hearted until the end.

thor_170_unpub_cover_a.jpg

Garlador

Co-creators rarely get along once things take off. Kirby grew to resent all of Marvel for a good long while. Bad blood and bad business.

And Stan Lee was no saint. He was as shrewd a businessman as he was a talented writer.

But make no mistake; Stan Lee definitely had a major hand in creating and co-creating a lot of beloved characters and he most certainly wrote a great deal of the stories.

His endeavors since the golden age haven't been as impressive, but whose are? At least nothing he's written recently comes close to the low, low bar of former trendsetter Frank Miller.

All that being said... I met Stan Lee once, and maybe he's mellowed with time, but he was one of the sweetest, most passionate creators I've ever met. Even in his 90s, he's got a fire for comics, stories, and superheroes that's infectious.

Whatever history exists, or bad blood that once existed, both Jack Kirby and Stan Lee are legends that may never be topped.

Maybe, as an artist, Kirby thought you can't tell who wrote something the way you can easily tell who drew something. But sorry, Jack, you can tell, if not as easily.

Tell me Stan Lee didn't write stuff, okay, the obvious question is "who did?". And the answer "I did" is clearly a lie. Lee's dialogue is distinctive, and you can see it on stuff Kirby had nothing to do with. That lie is no more believable than if Stan Lee were to say "I drew all of Kirby's stuff".

Whatever truth is in there is undermined by the obvious lie.

Also, for what it's worth, Stan Lee (from what I've seen) has always taken the high road. He's never tried to discredit anyone, just the opposite.

Popstar

KIRBY: It came about very simply. I came in [to the Marvel offices] and they were moving out the furniture, they were taking desks out — and I needed the work! I had a family and a house and all of a sudden Marvel is coming apart. Stan Lee is sitting on a chair crying. He didn’t know what to do, he’s sitting in a chair crying —he was just still out of his adolescence.
Stan Lee was born in 1922. When Fantastic Four #1 came out 1961 had an tween daughter and was a year shy from his fortieth birthday.

I can see why he said Kirby had "lost his mind" when seeing that interview.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I would take this with a salt mine. Kirby was always bitter towards Stan And Marvel.

This.

This interview shows it.
"So, Jack, can you tell us a little about <character>?"
"IT WAS ALL ME, ALRIGHT? Stan would just sit there and move the papers while I did all the work. ALL OF IT! OK?"

Comic logic in general.

We had those Marvel handbooks telling us so and so could lift 50 tons, and then you'd get a comic with them lifting an oil tanker or something ridiculous.

The handbooks weren't authoritative and got things wrong all the time. Fans think they were a guideline for what writers could do with a character when they were basically just trivia. One step up from those trading cards with power meters on them

Tizoc

Garth Ennis wrote a rather interesting pastiche of Stan Lee in The Boys, which was pretty good.

I dunno that interview just looks more like Kirby was salty over Stan than anything concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom