• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

BlackJace

0F67UVf.png

• Platform: Nintendo 3DS
  • Release Date: October 24, 2013 (NA + EU), July 25, 2013 (JP) (already released)
  • MSRP: $29.99
  • Distribution: Digital-Only Release (Hey, get back here!)
  • ESRB: M
  • Genre: Text-Based Adventure

d0CLle5.png

It's been a long time coming for Ace Attorney fans.
Our last journey with Wright and his partners ended with Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (Ace Attorney 4). Now, four years later, we can step into the shoes of our favorite defense attorneys yet again with Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies!
One year after the events of Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, Phoenix is ready to finish what he started. His name has been cleared of the circumstances involving his disbarment, and he is ready to practice law once more.
There are dark clouds looming over the judicial system, and Phoenix and Apollo will pursue their own designs for the fate of the system.

vTSPKgo.png

It wouldn't be a proper Ace Attorney game without a spectacular cast.
Below are some of the characters who will be taking us through the latest chapter in the courtroom saga.

tWSOrHo.png

Phoenix, our hero, is back in action! He is cleared of the circumstances involving his disbarment, and he is hungry to finish what he started.
He's still his lovable, goofy self, but it is apparent that he has matured during his time away. Phoenix is in charge of his law firm, the Wright Anything Agency, along with Apollo and Athena.

Ar1fvzX.png

The greenhorn defense attorney, star of the fourth entry in the series, is back in the fray. Apollo works together with Wright, Trucy, and Athena in the Wright Anything Agency, growing ever-attached to the gang. He, too, is still rather goofy and passionate, but, like Phoenix, Apollo has a more serious side to him this go around.

QgcPect.png

A new character in the courtroom drama saga! Athena is cheerful, and very easily excited by all that goes on. Studying psychology, she was able to pass her bar exam at a very young age. Her psychology studies combined with her keen seen ears, allows her to pick up very subtle emotional cues in a person's tone. She uses this in tandem with a computer device known as the “Mood Matrix” to be an invaluable asset to Wright's team.

bnAI2QV.png

Trucy's back from her debut in Ace Attorney 4! She is still her bright and energetic self, with a hint of devious trickery.
She still works as a magician, but her life as a high school student interferes with her being as direct of a partner as she was in Ace Attorney 4.

Yn5IV1T.png

The main prosecutor of Ace Attorney 5. He's certainly the most foreboding looking one yet. Simon's a bit of an odd case in his position as a prosecutor. Somehow, even as a convicted felon (of murder for god's sake), he is allowed to serve as a prosecutor. He's not a particularly nice guy either, as he is cold and condescending, and loves to throw in a good bit of dark humor. Like Athena, he has studied psychology, and uses it to manipulate other people. Did I mention that he has a freaking hawk perched on his shoulder?

axJNElY.png

Of course Phoenix's journey will consist of meeting many people, ranging from eccentric, to irritable, to happy-go-lucky, to just down-right disturbing.
Who knows, we might even encounter a few familiar faces...

oizcq13.png

• The gameplay in Ace Attorney 5 is largely same as previous installments in the franchise. All episodes are split into two segments, Investigation and Court Processions, all across a certain number of days. In the Investigation segments, Phoenix and company will find evidence around the various locales related to the case, and question witnesses. In the Court Processions, our heroes then use their gathered evidence to expose contradictions and find the true culprit.
  • Ace Attorney 5, being on the 3DS, makes full use of the stereoscopic 3D graphics, including character models, objects, and locales. A new dynamic camera allows for more immersion and investigation potential as you scour for clues. Capcom really nailed the character models' transition into 3D; their animations are fluid, and their color pallets really pop.
  • Returning mechanics such as the Psyche-Lock, and the Perceive System are present. Psyche-Locks are like an extenstion of the Cross Examinations in court, where Phoenix must show evidence in order to uncover secrets locked away in people's hearts. The Perceive System allows Apollo to use his special bracelet to pick up on a subject's nervous twitches or habits. The newest mechanic however, is the Mood Matrix system, Athena's specialty. The Mood Matrix allows the player to guage the emotional undertones of a subject when they speak. For example, a witness recalling a sad incident shouldn't have a happy undertone. This is when the player can call out the discrepancy.
  • A new “Thought Route” system, which is pretty much the Logic system from Ace Attorney Investigations. The player pieces together vital facts and amalgamates it into a larger clue about the case.
  • Players are now able to view previously spoken dialogue from the case at any time.

pgm5bBg.png

Q: How long is this game?
A: It varies by how much you get stumped. It should be anywhere from 15-25ish, I believe

Q: Should I play other titles in the series in order to understand this installment?
A: YES. This is a story driven game after-all. And seriously, AA games are some of the best adventure games ever, get on that shit immediately. Stay AWAY from the iOS trilogy though. Far away.
And here are some nice guides created by Timeless that gives newcomers the full rundown.

Q: I heard this is digital only on Nintendo terrible, awful, puppy-kicking storefront. Is this true?
A: Yes it's true. For some reason Capcom doesn't see this game as being worth the retail funds, yet Lost Planet 3 was printed. Don't let the store dissuade you, this is AA5, we've been waiting for it for a while. Send Capcom the right message by supporting this amazing series.

Q: Why is this rated M?
A: No idea, it's hilarious. I suppose the game being in 3D ups the realism factor. Phoenix isn't beheading anyone, don't worry.

Q: Open spoilers in this thread?
A: Hell no. Seriously don't. Make a spoiler thread if you must.

Q: I'm too busy playing Pocket Monsters X and Y. What should I do?
A: It's a tough choice I know, but set aside the lil' guys for now. Phoenix is calling.

Q: Any news on Ace Attorney Investigations 2?
A: lol

Q: How big is the download?
A: A friendly Gaffer has said the following: "Japanese version is about 600 MB (about 4500 blocks). I doubt the English version is much different."

w7w5tkj.png

mJifARp.png

GIFs
Pl55SeV.gif

objectionhcjsk.gif

athenaohnoeqjdz.gif

hehe3sjll.gif

iBeBYsjZSeKib.gif
i6rq7TUJMYX9M.gif

iHQ9P7pp9iUPf.gif
ibyI8dcKaL0AHo.gif
i6lDdlYj0j5Hq.gif

Screens I'm just going to link to galleries :p
http://www.gamezone.de/Phoenix-Wright-Ace-Attorney-Dual-Destinies-3DS-257261/#
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com//wp-content/uploads/multi/2013/05/ace-attorney-dual-destinies-hdr.jpg
http://d1vr6n66ssr06c.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dual-destinies-1.jpg
http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/20130515_225849_thumb.jpg
+another gallery here: http://www.edge-online.com/news/edg...attorney-dual-destinies-gets-western-release/
http://www.gamepro.de/nintendo/spie..._ace_attorney_dual_destinies,49528,96653.html
http://media2.giga.de/2013/09/ace-attorney-5.jpg
http://www.unboundgamer.com/uploads/68ad3a2768298b7c04157d58608314d4.jpg
http://www.ign.com/images/games/ace-attorney-5-3ds-127452

SPECIAL THANKS
CoolS for compiling gifs and screens

ShockingAlberto for the winning thread title

People who voted for the thread title

The Ace Attorney Community thread for being cool and helpful

Court-Records.net for being the best AA fansite around. I pulled a good amount of info and images from them. Check them out!

Capcom, despite being unbearable at times, for delivering this title overseas.

YOU for reading.

iwatawrighthid3c.png

ENJOY

GSR

Aw yiss. Can't wait for everyone else to get a chance to play it - it's probably my second favorite in the series after T&T.

One correction - the English name for the Thought Route is "Revisualization".

OP, do you want me to make any GIFs/screens from the JP version? They'll have backgrounds/text since it's just direct capture from my 3DS, but it obviously gives more variety than the flash demo.

(Or avatars! I could do avatars of various characters from screenshots.)

Also, buy the DLC case when it comes out. One of the best standalone cases in the series.

Brashnir

I'm torn between my love for Phoenix Wright and my disdain for Nintendo's online business.

In the end, I'm sure the love side will win out.

Salsa

NHHGHGHGHHGHGH

need to finish a replay of Apollo I started and badly delayed till now when Pokemon is out

Omikaru

I've waited nearly six years for this. Is it really happening in a week?

Somebody slap me to make sure I'm not dreaming.

Tizoc

I wonder if people would be fine with it being Digital release if Nintendo's DD system was like Sony's...

Does pre-ordering give you any bonuses? IS there a pre-order for UK eShop at least, like I can go buy it now or soon?

Salsa

things that suck: having $18 on the Eshop and only be able to get money on there by buying cards (my debit wont work)

spent some of that $30 FE+SMTIV money on Steamworld Dig and the Bit.Trip sale. Im weak.

BlackJace

Aw yiss. Can't wait for everyone else to get a chance to play it - it's probably my second favorite in the series after T&T.

One correction - the English name for the Thought Route is "Revisualization".

OP, do you want me to make any GIFs/screens from the JP version? They'll have backgrounds/text since it's just direct capture from my 3DS, but it obviously gives more variety than the flash demo.

(Or avatars! I could do avatars of various characters from screenshots.)

Also, buy the DLC case when it comes out. One of the best standalone cases in the series.

If you have the time, sure!

Hyoukokun

I remain impressed with how well they've managed to capture the feel of the spritework in the models they're using this time around. Looking forward to the 24th.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Can't wait. I'm not a fan of the slightly thick, soft font they use on the top screen compared to the originals, but will buy.

Need to go buy a $10 eshop card (I have like $24+ in my shop wallet) but ready to go for this.

Will be a nice break between Pokemon and tending to my town in AC.

Salsa

Can't wait. I'm not a fan of the slightly thick, soft font they use on the top screen compared to the originals, but will buy.

Same. Looked weirdly blurry too.

advancing text at your own pace is nice but kinda worrying considering they use timing very specifically

McNum

So you're saying I have a week to complete the main story mode of Pokémon Y? That shouldn't be too hard, not much left, I think.

Looking forward to another round of court shenanigans.

Salsa

Day one.

I won't be playing it right away though. I still want to play AAI2 first.

no real need to play either of the Investigations games before this. They're canon but not really relevant to the main timeline

such a different game too that playing it afterwards wont feel like a "downgrade" or anything

Omikaru

I have about £23 on my eShop account. The game is £19.99 so I'm good for that, but I wonder if I'll have enough for the DLC case too.

Do we know how much that's going to cost?

Top Bottom