• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

NeonZ

As fun as it was, the trade off wasn't totally worth it for me. The attorney abilities is one of the main and few actual gameplay elements in the series and having to divide everything up between the three of them severely impacted their use and challenge. The Mood Matrix definitely got the most exposure, and was interesting, but it never was much of a challenge. Apollo's perceive is a very interesting mechanic that again was used a few times to some effect but was never anything more than a diversion and finally Psyche-locks for Phoenix were basically there for nostalgia's sake and nothing else.

I don't think one thing is related to the other. In general, Phoenix Wright 5 streamlines several gameplay mechanics (like health and investigation) resulting in less difficulty and interaction. I think the use of the various characters abilities ended up easy due to that overall trend of the game. If there were less attorneys, the game just would have less variety, I really don't think it'd result in increased challenge, considering the overall design decisions of the game. In fact, they might have chosen this approach of multiple abilities and lawyers exactly because they knew that they wanted to reduce the gameplay challenge, and so went with variety to make up for it.

Lusankya

I know :( But I'm gonna hold off and hope that Capcom will being the 3DS trilogy to Europe

The 3DS trilogy is perfectly fine (and much better than the iOS version), but if you have the opportunity to get the NDS games for cheap I recommend them.

I imported the 3DS trilogy and the first thing I noticed was the four frame blinking animation (which only had two unique frames to it) had been reduced to two frames (only the eyes closed frame made the cut). Not looking forward to seeing how much other animation is missing when something so simple wasn't done.

Just get the DS versions.

NZNova

I'm really sad that I can't buy the DLC case for this game. I get an error code whenever I try (009-4901), despite trying on multiple wifi networks the problem is always the same. I really want to play it but it just won't let me buy it.

Asbear

Banned
I was skeptical of how well the 3DS version sprites would live up to the originals as well. Looks like I'm not getting the 3DS trilogy then.

Currently I'm replaying the DS games on my XL with upscaling amd it honestly still looks great despite of the low resolution. A big plus I've noticed is that the 3DS has higher refresh rates than a DS and that does wonders to 60fps games including Ace Attorney.

BlackJace

Amazon.co.uk has three of them for £10 and JFA for £17.
Amazon.com lists all of them for less than 20 bucks each as well.

Okay, that's not exactly super duper cheap, but reasonable for new copies.

It was ages ago, but I seemed to have remember new copies being 30 and 40 dollars each.

It was ages ago, but I seemed to have remember new copies being 30 and 40 dollars each.

All three games (including the somewhat tricky to track down JFA) have been reprinted in the US in the last year or so. You can pretty easily track down each individual game for under $20 each new now.

Sora_N

I had this game on pause but got back in (I'm on episode 5), wow what a turn of events for
Athena

If I have some time after studying I might put another 30 minutes, I literally couldn't stop for an hour last night...and it was from 2-3AM last night.

Top Bottom