• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Salsa

Super hyped. My 4GB 3DS XL SD card was running out of space, I only bought a couple digital games lately, so I went out and upgraded to a 32 GB so I would be ready for AA5. Day 0, demo was great, I love this series. I really would advise everyone who is going to jump on this first to at least try to find some means to play previous ones, i.e from a friend or shop or whatnot.

am I the only one who hasnt upgraded the SD yet?

i've got 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Steamworld Dig, Bit.Trip.Saga, Pushmo, Mighty Switch Force, Gunman Clive, Mutant Mudds installed and still got sufficent space for this.

32GB seems completely nuts

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
That's a lot of bolded in the OP.

am I the only one who hasnt upgraded the SD yet?

i've got 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Steamworld Dig, Bit.Trip.Saga, Pushmo, Mighty Switch Force, Mutant Mudds installed and still got sufficent space for this.

32GB seems completely nuts

I upgraded primarily for faster load times.

Fey

Banned
3>1>AJ>AAI=2

yes ive started this

For me I'd say

3 > 1 > 2 >= AJ > AAI

The last case of AA2 saves it. First case in AJ prevents it from being as bad as AAI.

As long as there's one killer, emotional case in AA5 I'll be happy.
25793bfd.gif

Am I a bad person for wanting to play this, but not Apollo Justice first?

I was a huge fan of the first three games, but never played Apollo Justice for some reason. I hear it's good, and I want to get back into the series, but I really want to play this game, and don't seem to have a desire to pick up Apollo Justice.

Boney

Banned
Gonna have to wait on a sale because it's releasing digital only, but i'll definately be there!

Saving my FE+SMT promo for it.

3>1>AJ>AAI=2

yes ive started this

AJ is kinda dropping with this playthrough tho

3>1>AJ>2>AAI

I'm just so excited for the last case in AA5. I know nothing about it, but if it lives up to Rise From the Ashes, Bridge to the Turnabout or Farewell, My Turnabout...omg. (AJ and AAI kind of dropped the ball in this regard, and that probably damaged fan reception).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Am I a bad person for wanting to play this, but not Apollo Justice first?

I was a huge fan of the first three games, but never played Apollo Justice for some reason. I hear it's good, and I want to get back into the series, but I really want to play this game, and don't seem to have a desire to pick up Apollo Justice.

I don't blame you, but I'd try to push through it. I think that Apollo Justice doesn't go down nearly as bad when you know how it all ends up for our comeback king.

Salsa

I upgraded primarily for faster load times.

is this really that noticeable? only time the 3DS lags for me is maybe when jumping into the home menu for the first time, as in icons dont appear for a while

bud told me that's the only difference he started seeing when getting a faster card

ohlawd

OT is really well done. Props to you, BlackJace.

lol'd hard @ the FAQ. Hopefully the people who are still whining about digital-only can say their piece early while the thread is young.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
is this really that noticeable? only time the 3DS lags for me is maybe when jumping into the home menu for the first time, as in icons dont appear for a while

bud told me that's the only difference he started seeing when getting a faster card

Do you use apps like Swapnote a lot? Very noticeable.

I don't blame you, but I'd try to push through it. I think that Apollo Justice doesn't go down nearly as bad when you know how it all ends up for our comeback king.

Yeah, I think the reason I never played it was because I didn't want to see Phoenix in the position he is at the start of the game or something. And then I didn't play video games for a long time, and kind of forgot about it.

This new game just looks so good.

Is Apollo Justice 4 cases? About equal to the length of the previous games? Does everybody agree it's worth it, and a necessary precursor to this game?

no real need to play either of the Investigations games before this. They're canon but not really relevant to the main timeline

such a different game too that playing it afterwards wont feel like a "downgrade" or anything
I still want to play them in release order. (Though I might just break down and watch the translated AAI2 videos on YouTube.)

I think we have a chance to get AAI2 in English eventually. Capcom loves to re-release these games.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Unfortunately I don't think they do, unless they add them for the English release.

Well if Capcom wants my money then it better have subtitles otherwise they can forget it, not playing a game if I am going to missing out on the story.

Salsa

I still want to play them in release order. (Though I might just break down and watch the translated AAI2 videos on YouTube.)

I think we have a chance to get AAI2 in English eventually. Capcom loves to re-release these games.

well, you already lost cause we're getting layton vs after this

then again I guess that's not canon at all

Do you use apps like Swapnote a lot? Very noticeable.

mh, that's a good argument. Kinda stopped using it cause it was really slow.

Kazerei

Banned
Nice OT! I'm super excited. I really want to replay the first 4 games before jumping into this one, but goshdarnit I'm just so busy with Pokemon X. Hnnnngh.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Even though I haven't beaten Apollo Justice, I will still buy this game day one. Because it deserves it damn it.

GSR

I'd say Layton vs. PW is "not not canon". They do very little to touch either series' continuity besides a few small references. Though it is a little hard to reconcile some of the stuff that happens in Layton games with Phoenix's world (but then again in Phoenix's world you've got stuff like spirit channeling, so whatever.)

rekameohs

Banned
1>AJ>2>AAI>3

I am the only person in the world that doesn't like 3.

I agree about placing 1 at the top, but I still do adore 3, so we'll have to disagree there. I need some time to write something up, but I'll post a little later my thoughts because I think simple lists don't suffice.

Rhapsody

Banned
3 = 1 > 2 > 4 >> AAI

2's case 4 was amazing, but the first 3 cases weren't that great and felt out of place after 1. I don't remember 4 all that clearly. I liked the first and last case, but it still doesn't rank higher than 2. AAI was just boring to me. Case 3 was fun, but case 4 might've been my least favorite ever.
1>AJ>2>AAI>3

I am the only person in the world that doesn't like 3.

You didn't like case 1, 4, 5? I just loved how they revolved around each other and wrapped up the trilogy nicely. Also, Godot.

People are talking about their favorite games in the series...how about favorite cases?

I think AA2 - Case 4 wins it for me. AA2 is probably my least favorite game, but that final case was fantastic.

LiK

You guys and a friend of mine keep telling me that I NEED to play Apollo Justice. Is it really that important? I know that
Phoenix got disbared but now he is back in this game.
Is there something else big I don't know?

yea, altho not sure i wanna say anything about it.

Pappasman

I started playing this series (in order of course) back in January. Since then AA has skyrocketed up the list of my favorite series of all time. So fucking hyped for 5.

Yeah, that doesn't count.

The whole reason I want to play them in order is due to the story, even if AAI2 isn't heavily connected to AA5. Can't skip books in a series, and that's how I view this.

Going to be my first ever ace attorney game, i loved the demo and cant believe i missed out on the others.

Noooooooo. Why are there so many of you? Heed our advice and play them all in order. It's for your own good!

Be like this guy
|
|
V

I started playing this series (in order of course) back in January. Since then AA has skyrocketed up the list of my favorite series of all time. So fucking hyped for 5.

imma ignore this and go with GSR's opinion cause I want to be happy

I wasn't expecting those reactions...

I'm not being a downer about this game.

Real talk, I bought this game solely because I thought it was going to be a trainwreck after both Investigations games put me to sleep, running back to Phoenix and I wanted to laugh at it, but this game completely blew me away.

There's some INSANE twists, with some genuine head-scratching moments. The new gameplay features such as the Mood Matrix and Thought Route segments add some real breaths of fresh air to the game flow, and most important of all, real characters. People that behaved in believable, sympathetic ways. Sure you have some side characters that are basically visual gags like Jean Armstrong was, but every game has people like them. You have some characters go through some genuine struggles to do what is right when they want to do the opposite and you can completely empathize with them wanting to do so, along with characters who have experienced horrible tragic losses and yet overcame them and became stronger from them.

Not only has this new team come leaps and bounds with character writing, the game flows at a much smoother pace. In both Investigations games, I felt they added so much stinking padding to confrontations, arguing at length about every little detail. In this, you move at a solid pace and yet doesn't feel rushed. These cases are HUEG and do not slog about. You are always doing something interesting and moving events forward.

If you guys saw the spoiler thread about this, I gushed about this game across three pages before finally giving my few minor gripes with it.

Seriously, be excited about this game. It is a great experience.

Top Bottom