• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies |OT| Rated M For Objectionable Content

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I personally think it's the best case in the whole game. You defend a freaking whale!

Man... honestly, it might be. The DLC case was really good, and I wasn't prepared for that. It's one of the longer cases, too. I didn't have a single regret about buying it.

DaBoss

I've said this before about the DLC, it really felt like it was just the team letting loose their creativity with no holding back. It's a really different case.

Young Magus

Nice to see all the positive responses to the DLC case.

Quick Question (Mild DLC Spoilers):
When you press the first statement in the Orla`s cross-examining, is Phoenix's line a word-for-word reference to when you press a statement from Polly's cross-examining in case 1-4? Because it seems like it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
comic334.png

Don't worry, this isn't a case in the game, so no spoilers.

Kimppis

I'm new to the series and really loved it, even though it feels little too "linear" sometimes. Now I'll get the previous games, but they are pretty expensive combined. These games are surprisingly long, it took me over 30 hours to complete.

Does anyone know is there an English option in the Japanese version of Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth? Because the first three games have that and I have a possibility to get all those 4 games for reasonably cheap (under 50€ combined, shipping included).

Btw, why is the game rated 16+ (M)? :D I noticed a bondage reference in episode 3 and I guess episode 5 is relatively "harsh". But, really?

And holy shit at that twist before the end... Epic. Robin Newman is amazing, btw.

That's perfect. So the games take place in Los Angeles in the localized version, but originally the location is Japan? It doesn't make any sense, because the game is full of Japan. Are the other games like this? :D

And why are these games not more popular? Marketing has been non-existent? Because they really have some mass market potential! They are clearly perfect for handhelds, the writing is excellent and the control mechanics are simple.

One final note: The game is full of waifus. :)

Is Turnabout Reclaimed worth getting? It seems like a bit too much for one case so I want to know is it good enough not to just watch it online or something.

FluxWaveZ

Is Turnabout Reclaimed worth getting? It seems like a bit too much for one case so I want to know is it good enough not to just watch it online or something.

You're already paying $6 per case for the base game and the DLC case is worth just as much as the other ones, if not more.

MrBadger

Honestly, yes. The game's already below retail price and this case is definitely worth it. Some of the best characters appear in Reclaimed and in my opinion, it's the best written case in the game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
And why are these games not more popular? Marketing has been non-existent? Because they really have some mass market potential! They are clearly perfect for handhelds, the writing is excellent and the control mechanics are simple.
Even as someone who loves them, I get annoyed with them. They always push you to the absolute end of your rope before giving you an opening from out of nowhere to turn things around. It's supposed to be dramatic or something but it's actually often annoying.

...but it's worth it, because everything else is so good.

Was slightly disappointed with this game:

- didn't care for the anime scenes
- didn't like case 2 at all with all those charms and
possibly posessed characters
, too convoluted. Also showing the killer at the start was not smart imo.
- too much fanservice with characters like
Klavier, Edgeworth and Pearls
returning, just for the fact of returning
- all this
emotions and upbeat happy talk
-bullshit blabla in the last case, I think it was one of the worst last cases of the series with a stupid
bad guy (come on, the Phantom?
- I also didn't like this whole
dark age of the law
theme at all
- I also found the prosecutor in this game to be bland and uninteresting. Only Klavier was worse. I rather have Edgeworth of Franziska.

Don't shoot me for this but I hate Apollo (Justice). I regard Apollo Justice the MGS2 of the series with Apollo being Raiden. The original cast of characters was far superior (Gumshoe, Maya).

Although I have to admit:
- the game has gorgeous graphics
- music was ok
- best case 1 and 3 of the series
- I didn't mind
Athena
that much and I loved that
widget

I disagree. Showing the killer ruined all of the suspense, especially as they tried to make you believe something you already know is 100% false, like the father confessing or acting insane.

The entire case could have been better done if they didn't want the perp to be obvious.

They show you who the perp is in the very first case in the very first game in the series, it's not really that big a deal. And I don't really remember anybody taking the mayor seriously when he was acting posessed.

RoySFNR

Just finished case two.

Please tell me the prosecutor isn't this annoying emo for the rest of the game or he atleast gets better. His gimmick got old really fast and I'm pretty sure
attacking people with birds and threatening with swords is more illegal than using magic bracelets.

MrBadger

Just finished case two.

Please tell me the prosecutor isn't this annoying emo for the rest of the game or he atleast gets better. His gimmick got old really fast and I'm pretty sure
attacking people with birds and threatening with swords is more illegal than using magic bracelets.

For most of the game, yes.
However, there's a guest prosecutor for case 5.
Also, I didn't really warm up to Blackquill either, until case 3. He's got some really good moments and becomes a more entertaining character as the game goes on.

Just finished case two.

Please tell me the prosecutor isn't this annoying emo for the rest of the game or he atleast gets better.

Emo? That is... not really a word I would ever use to describe Blackquill at all.

Not sure how he is in case 2, but he has some really great moments throughout the game. I thought his shtick might be kinda dumb, but I liked him a lot by the end.

RoySFNR

For most of the game, yes.
However, there's a guest prosecutor for case 5.
Also, I didn't really warm up to Blackquill either, until case 3. He's got some really good moments and becomes a more entertaining character as the game goes on.

That's good to hear. Looking forward to play more considering the positive reactions in the community.

Emo? That is... not really a word I would ever use to describe Blackquill at all.

Not sure how he is in case 2, but he has some really great moments throughout the game. I thought his shtick might be kinda dumb, but I liked him a lot by the end.

Mostly in appearance.

His mindtricks consisted of being a dick to pretty much everyone while people in the court somehow got confused by that. He also broke free from his chains twice and threatened to slice off heads whenever he got the chance. He's like a combination of the worst traits of Manfred von Karma and Franny von Karma without anything that makes them likeable.

gugeifer

Just finished it. Guys, it's really one of the best games in series, it's like a "best-of" show for the whole Ace Attorney.

Can't recommend this enough. This is a really gorgeous game, 3d, with studio Bones animated scenes, not bad of a story and pretty neat all round experience.

Really looking forward to 6 and (god help me) Investigations 2.

PLAY IT!

jaxword

That's good to hear. Looking forward to play more considering the positive reactions in the community.

Mostly in appearance.

His mindtricks consisted of being a dick to pretty much everyone while people in the court somehow got confused by that. He also broke free from his chains twice and threatened to slice off heads whenever he got the chance. He's like a combination of the worst traits of Manfred von Karma and Franny von Karma without anything that makes them likeable.

Franny is totally unlikeable in all ways. Awful and annoying character.

Xeno_V

Finished the first 2 cases, not impressed at all so far. Please tell me that the rest of the game is much better.
I used to love every single game of the series, especially 3 and 4, so I am wondering if the first cases were really weak or if I just lost interest in reading through walls of text.

Finished the first 2 cases, not impressed at all so far. Please tell me that the rest of the game is much better.
I used to love every single game of the series, especially 3 and 4, so I am wondering if the first cases were really weak or if I just lost interest in reading through walls of text.

Well I personally loved Case 1 and liked Case 2 from the halfway point but they're the two weakest cases in the game in my opinion. Case 3 is awesome and a fave among many here so look forward to that :p

The first case was short, and the second just crappy. The third case and the DLC case are the best ones, I think. To be honest, this game has more text and less gameplay than the first games, but it's still enjoyable.

Xeno_V

Thanks for the replies. The 1st case wasn't bad indeed (for a 1st case at least) and it was also short (this was good imo).

The 2nd was really boring, there were many things that I didn't like and it was also way too long.

explodet

Currently flopping through the DLC case, which I am enjoying. Maybe should have played it after the second case, but whatevs.

I think I had the most fun in the second part of the 4th case, the cross-examination was a riot.

Barryman

I'm partway through the third case and I have to say...the second case was WAY too long. They repeated the *HOLD IT* [cut to one person] [cut to another] [cut to another] [cut to another] [stay on the person who said it] gag about 12 times too many.

Also, not feeling Blackquil as the main prosecutor, not yet at least. To be fair, Gavin didn't win me over until Turnabout Serenade.

Still haven't played this yet (I know, I know!) and reluctant to go through the thread soooo I'll just ask. I'm aware this question has probably been asked 1000 times already so sorry.

Where does the DLC case take place within the story. I remember hearing its cases 1-3, DLC, 4-5, is that right?

Young Magus

Still haven't played this yet (I know, I know!) and reluctant to go through the thread soooo I'll just ask. I'm aware this question has probably been asked 1000 times already so sorry.

Where does the DLC case take place within the story. I remember hearing its cases 1-3, DLC, 4-5, is that right?

Not quite. The DLC case takes place between case 2 and case 3.

Case 2>DLC>3>4<>1>5

Aurelius

Case 4 and 5 seem to be a bit too short, especially 4. I get the feeling that was just one case which got cut in half so they could rip out case 3 and sell it as DLC.

Top Bottom