• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Investigations Collection | Preview Thread

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
veu53kr8ec7d1.jpeg

Previews:

VGC
The collection contains two games – 2010’s DS game Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth, and its 2011 DS sequel Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Prosecutor’s Gambit. The latter was only ever released in Japan, meaning this remaster marks its first ever English language version.

For the remaster, Capcom has decided to let players decide just how ‘remastered’ they want the game to be. While the close-up character art which appears in cutscenes and during conversations has been redrawn for HD and 4K displays, other elements give the players the choice between modern or retro.

By default, the character sprites in the third-person exploration sections are newly created, high-res ‘chibi sprites’ made by the Investigations games’ original character designer Tatsuro Iwamoto. There are more than 100 characters over the course of both games and they’ve all been given this treatment. If you don’t like it, however – for some the addition of extra detail isn’t as good as the detail they imagined in their head when playing on DS – you can switch back to the original sprites in the game’s Options.

The Gamer
- Ace Attorney Investigations Collection finally brings second game to English-speaking fans after decade.
- New enhancements like a 'visual novel' mode and updated art make Investigations a triumph.
- The game stays true to Ace Attorney traditions while adding fun new mechanics with logical connection-making and mind chess battles.

The Escapist
For those yearning for the nostalgia of yesteryear, the ability to swap between the updated HD sprites and the original chunky pixels of the DS version could be an immediate selling point. Alongside the updated sprites, the soundtrack has also been updated to match the new art style, but the original is also available to select, which is an incredibly nice touch for preservation’s sake.

A key difference between Miles Edgeworth and Phoenix Wright is how they deduce clues and solve a case. Pheonix Wright is the loveable oaf who seems to have luck on his side, while Miles is a much more sophisticated individual who uses the power of logic, alongside Mind Chess in Prosecutor’s Gambit to stump his opponents and take home another victory. The variety of cases, eclectic characters, and puzzles are top-notch, making this a fantastic addition to the growing Ace Attorney collections.

The Sitxth Axis
The revised soundtrack is also pretty good and allows the same option to switch back and forth between it and the classic version for the discerning gentleman prosecutor. Also, this collection has the trimmings that these collections have generally had, such as a Gallery, but I’ve not delved too deeply into the bonus content here to avoid spoilers on how to receive the accolades for achieving specific criteria in the games.

At my current point in the games, this shaping up as another excellent collection from the Ace Attorney series, especially as it brings the first of the two games to the West for the first time. It’s also good to see Edgeworth display the discerning eye and quick wit that was only hinted at with a superb (but unevidenced) ego in the main series. I’m looking forward to getting deeper into the core mysteries of both Ace Attorney Investigations games and – hopefully – I’ll have more of a challenge getting to the truth of them.

Touch Arcade
So far, Ace Attorney Investigations Collection is shaping up to be another win for Capcom, and it finally brings over a game we never had available officially outside Japan in the form of Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Prosecutor’s Gambit. I can’t wait to dig into it more and continue my replay of Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth. I’ll also be trying out the home console versions to see how it scales, but for now, Ace Attorney Investigations Collection feels like it will be more than worth it.

Game Informer
The Investigation games are a pair of black sheep in the history of Ace Attorney, and I can see why. They are different but not different enough to attract a new audience or to feel particularly novel in comparison to the rest of the series. However, based on what I've played, they are far from bad games, and I look forward to playing them in full – especially

Siliconera
After going through the initial cases in Ace Attorney Investigations Collection, I think everyone who has been waiting years for a chance to play this missing Edgeworth game will be pleased with how Capcom chose to honor these spin-offs. I’m not done with my new journey to bring the truth to light, and I’m already impressed with how well it’s been handled. Especially considering how the HD sprites and remastered elements look so far.

Nintendo Insider
When it comes to options, you have all the options these previous collections have had but with the new option of changing the game’s art style. The characters always had pixel sprites on Nintendo DS, but instead of “remastering” the sprites with a terrible filter they made the brilliant choice to completely redraw them. They’re now closer to the portraits shown in dialogue, and now have many more frames than before for smooth animation. The only aspect I find off is that the scaling for the Pixel Art style option isn’t best, but on the small Switch screen I didn’t notice it too much. I spent most of my time with the new art style, and think it’s fantastic once you get used to the added frames of animation.

The localization team has done great in bridging the fourteen-year-long gap between both games’ English releases, and it feels like they never missed a beat. AAI2 is here in English officially, and it’s glorious. This is looking to be the big reason to get this collection, even if the first game is still a great time as well.

Top Bottom