• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat V OMG!!!

Is anyone else playing this thing? I don't think I've ever enjoyed a flying game before, but I can't stop playing! PS2 games have never looked this good on my LCD screen (even Gran Turismo 4 Prologue looks kinda garbled). The best part about the game is the sense of speed -- I think it's in part due to the use of speed lines -- which eliminates the slow feeling of speed assocated with realistic flying.

Almost makes me want to go buy a 5.1 surround system (and maybe I will, if I can find one that's cheap and tiny enough to fit in my room).

john tv

Anoop / Jonny -- English voices? English text? What are the language options?

(We spent almost a year working on that game, I can't wait to see how it turned out!)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
john tv said:
Anoop / Jonny -- English voices? English text? What are the language options?

(We spent almost a year working on that game, I can't wait to see how it turned out!)
Huh!?

It's got English voices, but only Japanese text. It's pretty easy to follow even if you don't read the Japanese.

If you guys did the voice over work for the in-flight talking, I'm buying you a sour tonight. Good stuff!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Tonight, my friend, tonight.
It's in my bag now, but the movie at Bic looked amazing."

I'm gonna get it tonight.

Anoop - book me in for that PSX bitching session! :)
I'm on a short release tonight though - i have to work on the stupid, stupid project from hell.

AndriaSang said:
Almost makes me want to go buy a 5.1 surround system (and maybe I will, if I can find one that's cheap and tiny enough to fit in my room).
A little over a year ago, I got a great Sony 5.1 (DD and DTS) system with 2 digital, one analog 5.1, and two analog stereo inputs for $300. The only thing it lacks which I'd really like is a headphone jack, but hey, nothing's perfect. I'm sure you can find a good 5.1 system if you look around. Do it! Do it!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Anyone pick up the Horii joystick? I'm wondering about that one myself, I'd love to get a decent joystick to go with my Ace Combat V.

Jonnyram

JackFrost2012 said:
A little over a year ago, I got a great Sony 5.1 (DD and DTS) system with 2 digital, one analog 5.1, and two analog stereo inputs for $300. The only thing it lacks which I'd really like is a headphone jack, but hey, nothing's perfect. I'm sure you can find a good 5.1 system if you look around. Do it! Do it!
Don't buy Sony! You could end up with a dead product ;)
I bought the previous version of this (DENON DHT-310-S) a while back. I'm more than satisfied, and this one's just dropped 40% in price at Bic, so it's a steal. It's out of stock on the website, but I'm sure you'll be able to find some shop that stocks it.

nice to see the game rox!

ACE COMBAT V BITCHES!

PLEASE POST MORE IMPRESSIONS AndriaSang! How is the music? Is it better than AC4 or worse? Thanks

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I saw the commercial last night. I loved it, although it made the game look a lot like AC4 with thr footage they showed.

The CG was cool, but pretty unrealistic as planes never get that close in pursuit.

ypo

"The best part about the game is the sense of speed -- I think it's in part due to the use of speed lines -- which eliminates the slow feeling of speed assocated with realistic flying."

Yes! They finally fixed this problem.

gunstarhero said:
Is it any different then 4?

I loved 4, but not sure if I want to buy a game for more of the same thing.

That could be said about any game!

I won't buy Halo 2 cause its more of the same

I won't buy Battlefield 2 cause its more of the same

I won't buy Grant Turismo 4 cause its more of the same

etc...

If you liked the gameplay, story etc buy it

gunstarhero

That could be said about any game!

I won't buy Halo 2 cause its more of the same

I won't buy Battlefield 2 cause its more of the same

I won't buy Grant Turismo 4 cause its more of the same

etc...

If you liked the gameplay, story etc buy it

Has ANYTHING been added to 5 to make it different? Even Halo 2 has some new stuff like jacking and online play (well, LIVE play I should say) - I guess I should have said I dont want just another AC game. The sense of speed sounds like it's been fixed (was a problem for me in 4), so thats a plus.

gunstarhero said:
Has ANYTHING been added to 5 to make it different? Even Halo 2 has some new stuff like jacking and online play (well, LIVE play I should say) - I guess I should have said I dont want just another AC game. The sense of speed sounds like it's been fixed (was a problem for me in 4), so thats a plus.

-You can control your wingmen (3 of them)

-Has an arcade mode where you play as Mobius 1 (From AC4)

-mid air Refuling

-emphasis on take offs and landings

Also what do you think namco has been doing for 3 years? Will they just take AC4 and replace the 4 with a 5?

lol

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
gunstarhero said:

Ok... have you read like ANY of the previews for this game?

In a nutshell:

New story(of course)
You now issue basic commands to wingman(Disperse, attack, and form up)
Arcade mode features return of Moebius 1
Time/weather/lighting changes during mission(supposedly)

Bebpo

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
Anyone pick up the Horii joystick? I'm wondering about that one myself, I'd love to get a decent joystick to go with my Ace Combat V.

I picked up the stick along with the game today. The stick is quite nice in terms of feel. It has the heavy duty Steel Battalion/Tekki controller feel to it. The grip is pretty nice too and the analogue motion gives you a better feel for the plane.

That being said like a 1/3rd of the buttons and knobs on the controller DO NOTHING because AC5 doesn't really use that many buttons but yet they made the controller full of buttons in case of future games. Kinda disappointing because when I first opened it I was like "wow, I wonder what all these buttons will control!"

Also it's really expensive. But I guess that's normal in a country that sells the GT4 wheel for $200 and GBA game for $50 >_<

DCharlie

not only did everyone have it tonight
but members of the fucking AC5 team show up

as if the mocking wasn't complete, the local store had sold out!

arggggggggggghhhhhhhhsssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Jonnyram

I didn't play AC4 either, but the music is awesome in this. Kind of orchestral movie-type music. Love the
Rolling Thunder & Sky Kid
posters in your guy's room :D

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
In a nutshell:

New story(of course)
You now issue basic commands to wingman(Disperse, attack, and form up)
Arcade mode features return of Moebius 1
Time/weather/lighting changes during mission(supposedly)

So in other words, more of the same w/ a gimmick thrown in here and there.

Sign me up!

DCharlie said:
not only did everyone have it tonight
but members of the fucking AC5 team show up

as if the mocking wasn't complete, the local store had sold out!

arggggggggggghhhhhhhhsssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

wow that sounds awesome

DCharlie

yes, if only i could speak to them in their native tongue...

it's like being at the Flemish only female "i love small cocks" festival, where you can have free sex with each person there as long as you can site a line of shakespear in their native tongue...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I can't believe it

ACE COMBAT FUCKING 5 IS COMING OUT NEXT WEEK WOO!

p.s. Best Buy will have it for $49.99 with $10 gift card

Jonnyram

Wario64 said:
I can't believe it
ACE COMBAT FUCKING 5 IS COMING OUT NEXT WEEK WOO!
Hmm, sounds like they've come up with a plan for developing English and Japanese versions simultaneously. Here's hoping they stick to this for other games, because it's cool to play Japanese games in English :D

So far the voice acting is good, and the story is interesting. Like Anoop, I'm not a huge fan of flight sims, but this is sheer class. Never a dull moment. I feel like Tom Cruise!

john tv

I sat down with it tonight and gave a run through the opening mission. Some quick impressions:

- Visuals are amazing, definitely a step up from AC4. The clouds and rain in the first mission are simply beautiful.

- Music is very dramatic, also (IMO) a step above AC4, so far at least.

- The English voice acting is pretty good so far; the in-game chatter sounds great! Very realistic, very emotional... I'm definitely pleased with how it turned out. On the other hand, the narrator (who unfortunately has tons of lines) is a little bit off in his delivery. The intro was meant to sound far more dramatic and in tone with the music... but instead it just sounds like he's reading from cards. Still, overall it's not bad at all and again, I've only played like 10 minutes.

- It's very cool how you can agree or disagree with the things your teammates say, which in turn affects the dialogue (and often the gameplay) that follows. It feels really natural.

That's all so far. I'll definitely give it some more time this weekend. And yeah, it was great that some of the developers turned up tonight! Sorry your store sold out already, DC... :(

EDIT: Jonny, yeah, the translation was done ages ago; the developers had decided from day one to develop the two versions simultaneously. I wish all devs would take this approach. And yeah, the story is leagues beyond that of AC04! They hired some real talent to write the script this time, and it definitely shows.

AssMan

Banned
Is there a trailer to the commercial? I saw some scene where the sky was very red with clouds covering the sky and I was amazed.

WarPig

I did an import review thingy on the 1UP, 'cuz the Japanese version is practically identical to the American, both dialogue tracks and all that. The game's pretty boss. I don't think it's any huge improvement on Ace 4, but I liked Ace 4 a lot anyway, so I like Ace 5. What they did add is either good -- the more involved story, the interactive conversation bits, carrier landings and in-flight refueling sequences -- or at least not harmful in any way, like the wingman command system, which isn't anything all that special, but is hardly a detriment.

DFS.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
WarPig said:
I did an import review thingy on the 1UP, 'cuz the Japanese version is practically identical to the American, both dialogue tracks and all that. The game's pretty boss. I don't think it's any huge improvement on Ace 4, but I liked Ace 4 a lot anyway, so I like Ace 5. What they did add is either good -- the more involved story, the interactive conversation bits, carrier landings and in-flight refueling sequences -- or at least not harmful in any way, like the wingman command system, which isn't anything all that special, but is hardly a detriment.

DFS.

Ok let's talk about the landings.... do the carrier landings use an ILS system? Man I don't know why videogames make this so hard... I can remember eons ago F-19 Stealth Fighter had a perfect ILS... you had your glideslope cross-bar indicator... just keep your pip in the center and a throttle down indicator right next to the current throttle speed indicator on the right side of screen, just keep your speed in that designated area... the ILS (just like some real ILS from what I've heard) would only turn off JUST before you touched down. Made landings very controllable.

How are landings handled in AC5?

Alf-Life

Any European dates confirmed? :(

I've been really into Namco's arcade efforts lately... I love my Time Crisis 3 and Crisis Zone... I never played AC4 though; in fact, the last flight sim I played must have ben F-15 Strike Eagle for the 286! (Oh no, wait I also had Total Air War and A10 Cuba, nuff fun)... as I said, I love Namco's arcade-y games and I reckon I'll even buy the peripheral for AC5; it'll sit nicely next to my other only peripherals, two G-Con2s. :D

WarPig

DarienA said:
Ok let's talk about the landings.... do the carrier landings use an ILS system? Man I don't know why videogames make this so hard... I can remember eons ago F-19 Stealth Fighter had a perfect ILS... you had your glideslope cross-bar indicator... just keep your pip in the center and a throttle down indicator right next to the current throttle speed indicator on the right side of screen, just keep your speed in that designated area... the ILS (just like some real ILS from what I've heard) would only turn off JUST before you touched down. Made landings very controllable.

I haven't played a PC flight sim in a dog's age, but the Ace 5 landing interface sounds basically like what you describe. Two crossed lines representing your direction and angle of approach, and you try and center 'em to land straight and level. I don't remember if there's an accompanying indicator with a recommended speed, but the radio chatter will warn you to ease off on the throttle if you're coming in too fast.

It's also worth noting that all the takeoff, landing and refueling sequences are skippable if you're not into that kind of thing.

DFS.

xexex

Banned
I sat down with it tonight and gave a run through the opening mission. Some quick impressions:

- Visuals are amazing, definitely a step up from AC4. The clouds and rain in the first mission are simply beautiful.

- Music is very dramatic, also (IMO) a step above AC4, so far at least.

- The English voice acting is pretty good so far; the in-game chatter sounds great! Very realistic, very emotional... I'm definitely pleased with how it turned out. On the other hand, the narrator (who unfortunately has tons of lines) is a little bit off in his delivery. The intro was meant to sound far more dramatic and in tone with the music... but instead it just sounds like he's reading from cards. Still, overall it's not bad at all and again, I've only played like 10 minutes.

- It's very cool how you can agree or disagree with the things your teammates say, which in turn affects the dialogue (and often the gameplay) that follows. It feels really natural.

That's all so far. I'll definitely give it some more time this weekend. And yeah, it was great that some of the developers turned up tonight! Sorry your store sold out already, DC... :(

EDIT: Jonny, yeah, the translation was done ages ago; the developers had decided from day one to develop the two versions simultaneously. I wish all devs would take this approach. And yeah, the story is leagues beyond that of AC04! They hired some real talent to write the script this time, and it definitely shows.

cool impressions john tv, i value your opinion on this :D next week cant come soon enough.

Top Bottom