• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Three of my articulated figures. Poor Shaun fell on his face so he has a little nick. Sorry for the low quality pics.
Hrkgnz3.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Wow, I'd like to have that Dragon Quest figure, very cool

Guys I've been pricing around on a Young Justice Robin (the animated series from a while back) and hooooooooooly crap I can't believe how expensive it is for what should be a pretty common figure. It really makes my heart sink to see these tiny figures selling for so much when they aren't even that old!

People who think there's only value in collecting hot toys are out of their gourds :p

I would legit love it if we had a proper statue gaf around here :(

I really dislike articulated figures, and I REALLY dislike anime bullshit, so I feel out of sorts.

Both topics seem to not mind when people post cool things too instead of what the topic is "actually" about, so it's not too awful all the time

curb

Banned
I really dislike articulated figures, and I REALLY dislike anime bullshit, so I feel out of sorts.

Both topics seem to not mind when people post cool things too instead of what the topic is "actually" about, so it's not too awful all the time

It's too bad there has to be a concern about "stepping on the toes" of the other thread(s) around here. It seems to me like there's enough interest for an action figure thread, an anime figure/statue thread and a more western focused statue thread.

Einbroch

Banned
It's too bad there has to be a concern about "stepping on the toes" of the other thread(s) around here. It seems to me like there's enough interest for an action figure thread, an anime figure/statue thread and a more western focused statue thread.

That's silly. If you want a western statue thread, make one.

I still think that if you want to split the threads this should simply be a "western" thread and the other thread should be an "eastern" thread, but create whatever threads you want. If there's no enough interest it will die, and if not, then you have a brand new community.

Yeah, the articulated vs non-articulated thread split is weird, it's clearly not really about that and neither thread adheres to it. It's not about Western vs Japanese either, we clearly have people posting about Japanese and Western figures in both threads. I think the elephant in the room is the other thread's predominant focus on the anime/sexy girl figures, which is fine and all, but it just really doesn't appeal to the people that came out of the woodwork to participate in this thread but avoided that one. I'm not ragging on anyone for collecting those types of figures so I really hope nobody gets offended (and I'd urge the people that post here to not be douchebags about it either), it's just that skimming through page after page of stuff that doesn't appeal to you to maybe find 1 or 2 things that does isn't ideal. I don't know how to reconcile the two threads but I do think a split needed to happen. Does anyone have a better idea for labeling the two threads besides the misleading Action FigureGAF and FigureGAF titles?

Vidiot

I know it's not nearly as nice as the hot toys version, but my hasbro titan hero Hulkbuster looks okay for the price.

Also I just might preorder that Ironman/Hulkbuster artist remix. Looks nice and not too expensive.

I figure NECA will probably release a nice 18 inch Hulkbuster for those of us who don't care to put a down payment on the Hot Toys one.

I decided to dip my toe in the Hot Toys world and ordered the Iron Man Mark XLII Power Pose figure.

I know this is not really a full blown HT figure (much cheaper at $150), but it does have some limited articulation so I am including it here.

We'll see how I like it, but I already have my eye on the Capt. America AOU figure preorder.

None of you are going to buy this, right?

Wrong.

Hmmmmm. I'm very confused. It says it's Hot Toys, but I don't see any articulation joints or seams for his bare arms. That's quite bizarre. Usually that's what turns me off of Hot Toys action figures, the visible articulation joints on bare arms and legs. When they're covered up by clothing or portrayed as segmented armor, it's fine.

Hmmmmm. I'm very confused. It says it's Hot Toys, but I don't see any articulation joints or seams for his bare arms. That's quite bizarre. Usually that's what turns me off of Hot Toys action figures, the visible articulation joints on bare arms and legs. When they're covered up by clothing or portrayed as segmented armor, it's fine.
You can definitely see a ball joint in his right wrist in the top pic. Also the arm is bent here whereas it's not in the other pics. I wonder if the framework is inside the arm and there's a faux skin covering it up, like a Barbie's knee joint.

You can definitely see a ball joint in his right wrist in the top pic. Also the arm is bent here whereas it's not in the other pics. I wonder if the framework is inside the arm and there's a faux skin covering it up, like a Barbie's knee joint.

Oh right, I do see the wrist ball joint. I was looking for a joint for his elbow and couldn't find one.

Flintty

Yeah, the articulated vs non-articulated thread split is weird, it's clearly not really about that and neither thread adheres to it. It's not about Western vs Japanese either, we clearly have people posting about Japanese and Western figures in both threads. I think the elephant in the room is the other thread's predominant focus on the anime/sexy girl figures, which is fine and all, but it just really doesn't appeal to the people that came out of the woodwork to participate in this thread but avoided that one. I'm not ragging on anyone for collecting those types of figures so I really hope nobody gets offended (and I'd urge the people that post here to not be douchebags about it either), it's just that skimming through page after page of stuff that doesn't appeal to you to maybe find 1 or 2 things that does isn't ideal. I don't know how to reconcile the two threads but I do think a split needed to happen. Does anyone have a better idea for labeling the two threads besides the misleading Action FigureGAF and FigureGAF titles?

I don't see what the issue is. No need for thread wars. The other thread has evolved into its own beast where as this threat is attracting fans of more traditional figures. People will find their own way.

The articulation is under the rubber outer skin. They do this on certain figures. Most recent one was for Gamora.

PD1407476179bCI.jpg

I don't see what the issue is. No need for thread wars. The other thread has evolved into its own beast where as this threat is attracting fans of more traditional figures. People will find their own way.
I agree that there's no need for thread wars. If people are okay with there being a bit of crossposting between the two threads and that we're not limited to sharing only "action figures" in this thread then so be it, let the good times roll.

Cptkrush

Do you guys have any recommendations for inexpensive stands for the 6 inch Hasbro Marvel Legends toy line? I just put together my first Detlof cabinet and I need something stable to stick them to, or they will just fall over any time i open the case haha.

None of you are going to buy this, right?

Wrong.

there's a good chance I may get this, I do worry his elbows will deteriorate over time though :-(

Do you guys have any recommendations for inexpensive stands for the 6 inch Hasbro Marvel Legends toy line? I just put together my first Detlof cabinet and I need something stable to stick them to, or they will just fall over any time i open the case haha.

these may work

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ICNW438/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I use Kaiser Doll stands, just search on amazon. I don't understand why the price is all of a sudden so high on these though

Cptkrush

there's a good chance I may get this, I do worry his elbows will deteriorate over time though :-(

these may work

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ICNW438/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Checking out a youtube review and it looks like a lot of the hasbro legends don't fit snug and just wobble... maybe I'll just get some of the cheap 3 3/4 stands and use some blue tack in the peg gap

I use Kaiser Doll stands, just search on amazon. I don't understand why the price is all of a sudden so high on these though
looking at these now, $16 for 12 doesn't sound too bad, are they generally cheaper than that?

Cptkrush

I'm looking at the black 8-12", I paid $16 in Dec but that same seller has them for $20 right now. They're great though
Actually, I should have asked you initially but one of the reviews said the 6 inch ones don't work great with marvel legends, do you have experience with those particular figures? Should I be getting the 8-12 inch stands?

TripOpt55

Cool thread. I have a bunch of stuff on the cheaper side of things. I will take some pictures when I get the chance. I only buy stuff in the $10-20 range, but I still enjoy getting action figures :)

I agree. I like to collect figures and the other thread doesn't appeal to me. I've never been a huge anime figure fan, mostly video games and comics, so this thread is much appreciated.

I did just recently get a Vyse First4Figures statue as a gift from a good friend of mine. Will have to post some pics, the thing has some amazing detail.

curb

Banned
Got Scarlett witch, she looks good but can't stand worth shit on her little heels

I don't really have any affinity for Scarlet Witch but I like that figure. When I picked up my Captain Marvel the TRU had one of each from that wave and I briefly considered picking that one up as well.

dankir

Latest arrivals

10923494_10155212092485451_2483063439168855509_n.jpg

I've read that Days of Future Past Wolverine is shipping really early. People from Sideshow are getting payment notices.

Which is crazy because he was supposed to ship in August.

Actually, I should have asked you initially but one of the reviews said the 6 inch ones don't work great with marvel legends, do you have experience with those particular figures? Should I be getting the 8-12 inch stands?

You're taking me out to dinner tonight. I'm free at 7, dress to impress.

I don't have any Marvel Legends but they're 6" figures according to wikipedia. The Spider-man I have is a 5" figure

I have Kaiser stands in 3.5"-6" and 8"-12." Either way, I don't think this style is good if you want to pose your figures; they're only really good if they're all just standing straight up, which is how I have my dolls clothed action figures.

It doesn't really hold his waist (or chest in this case) so it's only really helping him stand up. these pics are with the 3.5"-6" stands.

I also have Bandai Tamashii Act 4 and Act 5 stands, which can also be found on Amazon. These were much better for my Spider-man in particular and I don't know which figs you have or what kind of poses you want, but I think the Act 4's will suit you better. I did have to tighten the screws on the stand's joints, though. The Act 4 is the one with the rectangular base. It usually comes in clear but mine in particular came with a Tiger and Bunny S.H. Figuarts.

So yeah, I love the Kaisers but the fact that they don't pinch the waist or twist for poses makes them bad for action figures imo. Unfortunately the Bandai Tamashii's come in 3-packs and are $17-$25 on Amazon right now, yikes.

Cptkrush

You're taking me out to dinner tonight. I'm free at 7, dress to impress.

I don't have any Marvel Legends but they're 6" figures according to wikipedia. The Spider-man I have is a 5" figure

I have Kaiser stands in 3.5"-6" and 8"-12." Either way, I don't think this style is good if you want to pose your figures; they're only really good if they're all just standing straight up, which is how I have my dolls clothed action figures.

It doesn't really hold his waist (or chest in this case) so it's only really helping him stand up. these pics are with the 3.5"-6" stands.

I also have Bandai Tamashii Act 4 and Act 5 stands, which can also be found on Amazon. These were much better for my Spider-man in particular and I don't know which figs you have or what kind of poses you want, but I think the Act 4's will suit you better. I did have to tighten the screws on the stand's joints, though. The Act 4 is the one with the rectangular base. It usually comes in clear but mine in particular came with a Tiger and Bunny S.H. Figuarts.

So yeah, I love the Kaisers but the fact that they don't pinch the waist or twist for poses makes them bad for action figures imo. Unfortunately the Bandai Tamashii's come in 3-packs and are $17-$25 on Amazon right now, yikes.

Well that's a bummer, thanks for the super in depth answer! I was looking at the bandai stands but those are out of my price range unfortunately... I wish they would go back down in price, I was reading that they were much cheaper before.

Well that's a bummer, thanks for the super in depth answer! I was looking at the bandai stands but those are out of my price range unfortunately... I wish they would go back down in price, I was reading that they were much cheaper before.

Word. How many Marvel Legends figures do you have and which ones?

Cptkrush

Word. How many Marvel Legends figures do you have and which ones?

I just got into collecting so i only have the recent hasbro ones. I have the entire GotG set, winter soldier, and movie cap from WS.
I also have Figma Link, Sneaking Suit Play Arts Kai Snake, and a couple of those world of nintendo minis of Donkey and Diddy Kong. Those all stand fine on their own. I'll have to take some pictures when I finish my display

I want to get a good Spidey, and it looks like the new wave of Spider-Man legends has one I like, and I'd really like an Iron Man, Hulk, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury, and Thor to round out the rest of the Avengers MCU team.

Snaku

Banned
Latest arrivals

10923494_10155212092485451_2483063439168855509_n.jpg

I've read that Days of Future Past Wolverine is shipping really early. People from Sideshow are getting payment notices.

Which is crazy because he was supposed to ship in August.

Nice, does the Dredd have the updated paint on the shoulder pads?

dangeROSS

For Marvel Legends stuff it depends on whether they are newer or older figures.

I have lots of the Neca 6 inch figure display stands and they work great with the older Toybiz figures. They fit pretty much all of them that I tried perfectly. And help alot with stability for bigger figures like Juggernaut and Hulkbuster Ironman. They fit a fair amount of other types of figures too.

However the Neca stands don't work with all the newer Hasbro stuff.
For the newer Hasbro Legends, the stands that came with the first movie Avengers figures work well. You can find them on ebay from Chinese sellers. They are modular pieces of plastic that you can stack on one another or connect in various ways. They work nice, but are much more noticeable then the clear Neca stands. I haven't tried the Hasbro stands with alot of other types of figures yet, but I assume it would fit some figures from other lines as well.

I made a video a while back on the Neca stands:
http://youtu.be/Hj5dXhg71ME

My favorite stands however are the Whippy Display stands. I was able to get a ton of them a while back and I use them for some cool displays. I don't see them around for sale very often anymore though.

nNYasP1l.jpg

0HN3sKil.jpg

ytrKcuZl.jpg

5LIp9Ovl.jpg

Figured I should ask this thread since I don't know where else to look (I don't know if this has been asked before either so sorry if i make anyone repeat themselves) :

Anyone have any recommendations for how to go about selling sealed and collected action figures?

Horse Detective's father gave him 2 big boxes full of very old sealed Star Wars action figures and we both don't know where to start with how to sell them. Ebay is a thing but I figured I would ask here in case anyone knew of anywhere better :)

Top Bottom