• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

2724045-img_20150207_101457.jpg

I recently started getting back into Transformers and picked up the 2 foot tall Metroplex. It's pretty plain from the default Hasbro deco. I mean, it comes with stickers, but even so... to avoid staring at a vast white plastic block, I went and painted highlights to make it stand out a bit more. Also got Masterpiece Optimus Prime, Prowl, Sideswipe, and Bluestreak (who strangely isn't blue at all). Optimus Prime is about as good of a G1 figure as you can hope for. Prowl and Sideswipe have hollow legs though, which you can see from certain angles unfortunately. I've also got a Masterpiece Starscream boxed up somewhere.

Ordered a third party Masterpiece Megatron to join em but that delivery keeps getting delayed so who knows when it'll arrive.

Also been collecting Diamond Select's line of Star Trek ships. Here, I've got three Enterprises and an Excelsior, next to a Playmates Vorcha attack cruiser and MP Optimus Prime's trailer. These are pretty good for the price (roughly 16 inch long ships for 60-70 dollars) but the quality control varies quite a bit. The best one is definitely the Enterprise Refit (Wrath of Khan version). The photo doesn't really show it well, but the whole hull's given a shiny satin white paint job that tries to recreate (on a budget) the pearlescent paint finish of the original TMP model. I think it works really well and helps the light catch the molded aztec patterns on the hull. If you want to order it, make sure you get the Wrath of Khan version, because Diamond Select is now selling an Enterprise A version from the later films that has a traditional flat paint application, and looks much different from the pearly satin white WoK ship.

The Enterprise D is also really good, being basically a much more detailed and faithful version of the Playmates Enterprise D toy that came out in the early 90s while the show was on. The only inaccuracy is that the real Enterprise D has a structure right below the nacelles that connects to the struts, shaped like a really long triangle. The Diamond Select sculpt strangely doesn't have this structure. Guess they just overlooked that one detail. But otherwise, the ship is great, and actually can perform saucer separation. The two pieces are held together by really strong magnets. Oh yeah... I did have to get a custom stand for it, since the Diamond Select one in the box was really flimsy and couldn't handle the stress of holding the ship. It's mostly down to the fact that the Enterprise D is incredibly front heavy, as you'd expect, and this imbalance created cracks in the stand.

The Enterprise E has great paint applications and definitely seems faithful to the real ship. Unfortunately, they decided to skimp out on the windows and left them unpainted. This is the only Diamond Select ship to have unpainted windows, but they are molded into the hull, so basically I spent one or two afternoons with a fine Sharpie pen coloring them in. And Jesus Christ, there are a shitload of windows on that thing.

The Excelsior is a reworking of the Enterprise B that they released a couple years ago. And it's definitely an improvement, because that Ent B had some horrible quality control issues, along with a dirty "weathered" wash that made no sense. For the most part, the Excelsior has fixed those problems, though it's still missing those side fins on the ends of the nacelles. The Excelsior's my favorite starship design, so this was a must buy.

The two Diamond Select ships I just picked up recently:

The Klingon Bird of Prey is built with really sturdy plastic and also has a weathered dirty wash applied to the paint which makes sense. The really neat feature is that the wings actually move up and down, just like the actual ship. I've got the wings in the up position, trying to mimic the look of the K'Vort class from TNG (though these are a bit too high, I think). The other two positions available are level with the hull, like at the beginning of Star Trek III, and lowered for attack configuration. On the quality control side of things, this is probably one of the best ships.

The Enterprise D refit from the TNG episode "All Good Things..." on top of my rotating display stand. This is pretty much Diamond Select taking their regular Ent D and gluing a bunch of crap onto it. And it looks awesome, I gotta say. They're all really accurate to the attachments on the show version. The big ass phaser cannon on the bottom of the saucer is partitioned, so you can still perform the saucer separation like you could with the regular version. The only real issue I've found is that there is a very annoying seam at the bottom of the strut for the third nacelle, where the two pieces of the strut meet together. You can actually see it in the photo, it's a big gap. Seems like they just didn't bother screwing or gluing the two sections together. This can easily be fixed with some krazy glue though. The additions that look the best and fit most organically with the original hull are the three phaser strip attachments on top of the warp nacelles. They fit quite seamlessly and look natural.

When I was just a wee little boy, I'd occasionally venture inside this local anime and hobby shop called Heroes Club (what a dull name, btw). It was full of the usual sci-fi anime models and action figures and whatnot that you'd expect. Ya know, it's probably when I first noticed that, hey... all these damn Gundam robot models looked almost identical to each other... what was the point? Anyways, back to the main reason for this... the shop was also damn full of Godzilla figures. Just tons of them cramming the shelves, looking incredible to my young impressionable eyes. But among the teeming figures of Big G and various other Toho kaiju was their immense centerpiece: a two foot tall model that towered over everything. Of course, being a little kid, I certainly didn't have any money and couldn't buy any of these amazing looking figures. Well, and I think most of what they sold were model kits, and I certainly wasn't dexterous and skilled enough to put those together and painstakingly paint them.

But I never completely forgot that impressive two foot tall Godzilla. It stayed just in the back recesses of my mind, one of those impossible gifts from childhood. When I grew up and thought to look it up, I found out through the power of Google that it was the Super Premium Godzilla 1994 by Bandai for the release of Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla. Bandai never ended up making a larger Godzilla figure after that, given the rather limited space of your average Japanese home, which makes sense. Of course, such a limited product from 1994 would command rather extreme prices on Ebay. Right around 600-700 dollars on average.

Then Google turned up an interesting find. Apparently, a rather new Japanese company by the name of X-Plus had started producing high quality, very detailed vinyl figures of Godzilla and other Toho monsters. And their new Gigantic series was going to release an 18 inch vinyl figure of Burning Godzilla (or DesuGoji as he's known in Japan) from the final Heisei Godzilla film "Godzilla vs. Destoroyah." (Yes, they really did go and name a monster Destoroyah instead of Destroyer, for trademark reasons. Apparently you can't trademark Destroyer as a name.)

So I went and pulled the trigger. The whole thing's about 18 inches tall, 18 inches wide, and 34 inches long.

As you can tell, the teeth are all individually sculpted and actually super sharp. Not to where you'd cut yourself, since they are made out of some sort of vinyl, so there is some give, but they probably could if they'd been made of hard material. The eyes are just right for his burning form and stare straight in front, seemingly with a singular focus. The tongue is also incredibly detailed with a rough texture, reminding me of the tongues of lions and other big cats. I think they nailed the feline-like face that made the Heisei Godzilla stand out from all the rest of the Godzillas. You'll note that the ears are also well represented.

it should be noted that the figure itself is not meant to be a faithful 1:1 representation of the suit from the movie. X-Plus's Gigantic series presents itself as a stylized interpretation of the Godzillas from those movies, with exaggerated and powerful proportions to convey the immense nature of these kaiju. In other words, they are not trying to recreate the suits worn in the movie, but the actual monsters as if they leapt out of your imagination after watching the movie. And this is definitely something that's noticeable, because the bulk of the figure is just overwhelming and much more than what we saw in the 1995 movie. I mean, the figure is 18 inches tall and 18 inches wide, so the pyramidal body structure is much more evident. The lower body and legs in particular are really hulked out in comparison to the suit, and the head looks somewhat smaller in comparison to the rest of the body. I think the stylized look works and makes Godzilla appear that much more fearsome.

Now, with the burning changes to the film Godzilla, you might be wondering if it's actually a light-up figure with batteries and whatnot. Well... no, it's not one of those figures that lights up. However, there is a great sense of luminescence, because X-Plus went and added a second layer of resin behind the outer layer. The outer layer seems to be made out of a clear vinyl material, which was spraypainted charcoal black for most of the body. But it seems like they added a second layer of yellow-orange resin beneath this, to add dimension to the burning sections. Thus, when you turn and look at the figure from different angles, you get a changing sense of depth, which is really cool. That's hard to convey with these photos, but in person you can certainly see and admire it. So no, no light up in the dark, but when you have something that looks this good, it doesn't really need any extra gimmicks.

Here it's paired with my X-Plus 12 inch Godzilla 1989. The 1989 suit is pretty much my favorite Godzilla suit and I figured it'd make sense to get a regular non-burning Godzilla representation. The 12 inch figure is also extremely suit accurate, which would be a nice difference from the very stylized and exaggerated design of the 1995 Gigantic figure.

Now, one unique gimmick of this figure is that it has an articulated mouth. Unlike the other vinyl figures made by X-Plus that are solely meant to be statues, you can move Godzilla's lower jaw so his mouth is either wide open or somewhat closed. I say somewhat closed, because you certainly aren't able to close it. The range is quite limited:

That's about the extent that my figure will close. Now, while it seems like a neat feature... I have absolutely no idea why anyone would choose to do this, as the closing of the jaw opens up a huge seam right underneath the jaw, where it meets the neck. This big ugly gap under the jaw looks horrible and guarantees that I will never be closing his mouth.

Man, that setup would annoy the fuck out of me every time I wanted to get a book off of the shelf or something. Love the He-Man figures. Are those remakes of the older ones?

I just had to remove a copy of Grand theft Auto from behind those figmas and was too lazy to move the figures. It was a challenge, but I think it will help with my Janga playing skills.

Those He-man figs are from the Masters of the Universe Classics line. I love em and wouldn't mind seeing more older lines brought back like this. They are doing it with the TMNT and I'm happy about that.
hA0YROB.jpg
line.

Those He-man figs are from the Masters of the Universe Classics line. I love em and wouldn't mind seeing more older lines brought back like this. They are doing it with the TMNT and I'm happy about that.

They look much better than the ones I had when I was a kid. Figure technology has improved quite a bit, but they managed to keep the look of the originals intact. Who is the green plant-lady(?) with the He-Man figures? I've seen some figures come out of that line that I don't recognize.

Scavenger

I recently started getting back into Transformers and picked up the 2 foot tall Metroplex. It's pretty plain from the default Hasbro deco. I mean, it comes with stickers, but even so... to avoid staring at a vast white plastic block, I went and painted highlights to make it stand out a bit more. Also got Masterpiece Optimus Prime, Prowl, Sideswipe, and Bluestreak (who strangely isn't blue at all). Optimus Prime is about as good of a G1 figure as you can hope for. Prowl and Sideswipe have hollow legs though, which you can see from certain angles unfortunately. I've also got a Masterpiece Starscream boxed up somewhere.
Nice paint job on Metroplex. I did something similar on mine because some of the stickers were starting to peel off. What's that small gun on top of his big red gun?

They look much better than the ones I had when I was a kid. Figure technology has improved quite a bit, but they managed to keep the look of the originals intact. Who is the green plant-lady(?) with the He-Man figures? I've seen some figures come out of that line that I don't recognize.

That would be Octavia, a She-Ra Villian.

The most recent addition to my Masterpiece Transformers:

I do love the rebooted Masterpiece line with how they have a consistent scale and the toys actually look like part of the same line as opposed to the mish-mash of the earlier figures but I do have to say the prices are pretty obscene now. It's hard to believe that MP-01 Prime was only £80 (and that was the comic book store mark-up price), with all of it's die-cast, electronics, working pistons, suspension, rubber tires and sheer size... Then I look at Bumblebee and see what is essentially an RiD era dulux level toy which costs £50 (actually RiD toys at least had rubber tires).
Bumblebee is awesome but still, has the material cost of these toys increased ten fold over the past 10 years?

Ah, okay. That's why I didn't recognize her. Was the Horde purely She-Ra villains, or was there some overlap? Because I remember them being in the He-Man cartoon at some point, too.

Yeah the Horde was She-Ra's baddies mostly, but I know a bunch of the characters met on occasion in crossover episodes. Can't really remember any details beyond that.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Just saw a tiny pic of the God hand figmas, none of them looked painted yet though, but all looked sculpted... Could a box set of them all be a thing?

The most recent addition to my Masterpiece Transformers:

I do love the rebooted Masterpiece line with how they have a consistent scale and the toys actually look like part of the same line as opposed to the mish-mash of the earlier figures but I do have to say the prices are pretty obscene now. It's hard to believe that MP-01 Prime was only £80 (and that was the comic book store mark-up price), with all of it's die-cast, electronics, working pistons, suspension, rubber tires and sheer size... Then I look at Bumblebee and see what is essentially an RiD era dulux level toy which costs £50 (actually RiD toys at least had rubber tires).
Bumblebee is awesome but still, has the material cost of these toys increased ten fold over the past 10 years?

I think that's part of it. Chinese factories are starting to charge more as the average cost of living increases over there.

But I think part of it's just the fact that now that Takara has established Masterpiece as a premium line for collectors, they know collectors will pay for the goods and don't mind the markup.

So considering I figured I'd never buy any of them, I'm pretty happy to have almost a complete set of the most recent Marvel Legends line:

I love pretty much every figure in this line, and they look so good together (King Thor is rocking a Green Goblin leg until I buy the last Thor figure).

Also FYI to Canadians (maybe Americans too) Avengers and Spider-Man figures are 25% off this week at TRU.

Ordered and booked my Dredd figure from animarket.com. Thanks again, dankir. Looks like he'll arrive alongside my Pacific Rim Gypsy Danger statue next week. :D

Wanderer5

tumblr_njfgxps3Lt1qzdctco1_500.jpg

Awwww. Doesn't seem like Vader been shown yet. Here a panel of upcoming figures just announced from Good Smile Company and others that works with them

B9SDZF2CIAEOCSL.jpg:large

I see they making a figma of Sherlock Hound, cool!

3A's new smaller Metal Gear figures. Supposedly come in at 1/2 the size of their previous Metal Gear figures,so around 12" and fully articulated. Appears they may have the light up features too.

Wonder-Festival-2015-REX-and-RAY.jpg

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
So as far as I can tell this is the only berserk figma thing at wonderfest, not painted prototypes, and so far no photos of the sculpts better then this:

cXM79VH.jpg

Gonna be a longer wait...

So as far as I can tell this is the only berserk figma thing at wonderfest, not painted prototypes, and so far no photos of the sculpts better then this:

cXM79VH.jpg

crap, just woke up and went straight here hoping to finally see some finished pictures of them, it seems that the best I can hope is that they get released at all no matter when since they don't see like a priority form Figma right now.

Takuan

Didn't know AF GAF was a thing until now. Here's my evergoing Hot Toys collection. Just got Robocop in the other day.
Killer collection. I just got Star Lord in last week, my first Hot Toys figure. Now I feel like I need that Zod; the armor and mask are just so meticulously recreated.

Should never have come here.

Chittagong

Gold Member

The MOTU Classics line is *incredible*.

- The characters have the aesthetic of the 80s toyline
- The characters are bigger, more defined, better painted and have more joints
- They will eventually have all characters from MOTU, Shera (POP) and New He-Man
- They are doing characters that never left prototype stage in the 80s like He-Ro
- They are doing characters that were myths like Wun-Dar
- They are doing characters that appeared in the comic or tv show but never got a toy
- They have commissioned painted box art from the original 80s artists like Rudy Obrero

It is truly a work of art and the best thing an 80s Masters fan could hope for. Although I am so pissed I only discovered the line only this week. I wonder what my best option for getting all them is?

Chinner

Banned

cXM79VH.jpg

No second run for Black Swordsman Guts then? Looks like I'm going to splash out some money then..

Also not figure related, but do you have any idea why volume 2 & 3 of the manga is so expensive? Everything else seems to be fine. I assume it's a supply and demand thing.

dankir

10978605_789468357804068_175152296076993721_n.jpg

I suspect there will HT figures for each of these, plus battle damage versions of each of Iron Man, Ultron Prime, etc. Ultron Drones, maybe secondary characters like Klaw.

GET READY TO PAY OUT YOUR ASS.

So I've been trying to pick up the classic D Arts Mega Man figure (the one with Rush) but I'm struggling to find one that is in stock and a decent price. Does anyone know of a decent online shop that still sells him or do I have to take a hit on the secondary market?

B9SDZF2CIAEOCSL.jpg:large

I see they making a figma of Sherlock Hound, cool!

They are making a Figma Kazama Kiryu from Yakuza. I must own that figure! Heck, I'd kill for a whole bunch more of Yakuza characters (Goda, Majima, Akiyama etc.).

It is truly a work of art and the best thing an 80s Masters fan could hope for. Although I am so pissed I only discovered the line only this week. I wonder what my best option for getting all them is?

Yikes, that would be pretty expensive. Folk are selling lots for up to $6000 on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=masters+of+the+universe+classics&_sop=3

I only got into the line a year ago and some of the older figures are out of my price range now on the second hand market. I wish they would rerelease some of the more popular characters like Ram Man or Teela, or even sell them in a two pack.

Snaku

Banned

- They will eventually have all characters from MOTU, Shera (POP) and New He-Man
- They are doing characters that never left prototype stage in the 80s like He-Ro
- They are doing characters that appeared in the comic or tv show but never got a toy
- They have commissioned painted box art from the original 80s artists like Rudy Obrero

I have a number of them I'm looking to sell off, including the original issue Skeletor. All still new. Shoot me a pm if interested and I'll tell you what I got when I get off work. I'll accept any fair deal, I'd rather they go to a gaffer.

Fantomex

Damn did you buy that? I want one

It really wasn't on my radar. You see, I'm one of those traumatized kids whose world fell apart when Optimus was killed so Magnus and Rodimus could sell more toys.

I was at a store and saw this dude built, the quality was absokutely outstanding. Not the hollow parts and flimsy plastic I was expecting based on the engineering transformation. For $180 it was a great purchase. I mean, Starscream is going for $200 and honestly seeker molds suck.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yikes, that would be pretty expensive. Folk are selling lots for up to $6000 on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=masters+of+the+universe+classics&_sop=3

I only got into the line a year ago and some of the older figures are out of my price range now on the second hand market. I wish they would rerelease some of the more popular characters like Ram Man or Teela, or even sell them in a two pack.

Whoa. Crazy money. But might still be the most profitable option in a set like that includes a bunch of figures that sell for 300-500 individually.

I have a number of them I'm looking to sell off, including the original issue Skeletor. All still new. Shoot me a pm if interested and I'll tell you what I got when I get off work. I'll accept any fair deal, I'd rather they go to a gaffer.

Cool! I will need to figure out my approach - I am kinda torn because they are obviously most valuable when boxed, but so much less fun and enjoyable. I almost need to figure out my goals, whether they would be fun or finance.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
No second run for Black Swordsman Guts then? Looks like I'm going to splash out some money then..

Also not figure related, but do you have any idea why volume 2 & 3 of the manga is so expensive? Everything else seems to be fine. I assume it's a supply and demand thing.
Nope, just showed off the paint work on the uber Femto statue, and that figma promise postcard of the God Hand to come. So yeah looks safe to buy Black Swordsman Guts figma.

As for volume 2 and 3 of the manga, it's got to be supply and demand, guess they haven't reprinted them in a while, so it's either pay the going price, or wait it out hoping for another reprint.

Snaku

Banned
Cool! I will need to figure out my approach - I am kinda torn because they are obviously most valuable when boxed, but so much less fun and enjoyable. I almost need to figure out my goals, whether they would be fun or finance.

I have Skeletor, Teela, Mer-Man, and Optikk. All first issue, and new. They each have the white mailer boxes except for Skeletor, they didn't ship the early figures with them. Let me know if you're interested. The prices on ebay for these is insane and I wouldn't even consider that reasonable. Make me an offer.

For me I always intended on collecting more of them and displaying them outside of the box, but I never got decent shelf space for them, and I grew frustrated with scalpers always buying up all of the stock before I could get an order in, so I gave up on the line.

Fantomex

So considering I figured I'd never buy any of them, I'm pretty to have almost a complete set of the most recent Marvel Legends line:

I love pretty much every figure in this line, and they look so good together (King Thor is rocking a Green Goblin leg until I buy the last Thor figure).

Also FYI to Canadians (maybe Americans too) Avengers and Spider-Man figures are 25% off this week at TRU.

I want that ODIN series bad! But an employee at Target always gets them before me.

Toxi

Banned
Bought the NECA 8 inch mummy Eddie. Apologies for potato quality photo.

I love the song the figure is based on, but it really shouldn't have had cloth wrappings. They fray everywhere (I cut off most of the loose threads and still need to cut off a few more) and hinder Eddie from getting either of the poses from the album art. There's also an alternate head, but I couldn't stick it on the ball joint; I think I need to work away a bit of the paint inside.

That's NECA quality for you I guess. At least nothing's broken, and the head sculpt is dead-on.

Love this line. Thankfully I got into it a few years back, so I'd didn't have to pony up too much above retail prices to get everything. Worst was Teela, who I had to pay nearly $100 for.

It's pretty brutal if you want to collect everything at this point. Your best bet is to find a good sized lot or two to buy from a collector who is selling, then fill some holes with the reasonably priced figures. Unless you have an unlimited budget, though, quite a few will be outrageously priced.

Rootbeer

Banned
I was huge into He Man as a very small boy. But when I look at those figures I honestly don't know who any of them are except the major characters. LOL. That's how removed I feel from it now.

I know He Man, Skeletor, Cringer, She-Ra, Orco Ummm that's really all

I think I'm better off sticking to Marvel/DC/Star Wars as my major pillars. But I have a lot of interest in anime/manga stuff, Nintendo, Ninja Turtles, LEGO and all of its many themes, a few other things.

I have too many interests and not enough money to keep up with all the cool figures :p

Goliath

I love this thread. I am trying to convince myself that this thread gives me the figure fix so I won't feel the need to collect but those classic He-man, TMNT, and Metal Gear figures really make me want to buy at least one. But I know I wouldn't stop at one.

Fantomex

I love this thread. I am trying to convince myself that this thread gives me the figure fix so I won't feel the need to collect but those classic He-man, TMNT, and Metal Gear figures really make me want to buy at least one. But I know I wouldn't stop at one.

Join us brother.

Top Bottom