• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advance Wars 1+2 in Japan on November 25th

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The topic says it all. Nintendo's Japanese site's release calendar now lists Advance Wars 1+2 for November 25th. That's pretty good news for the Japanese. Maybe Nintendo will throw us a bone with something they got and we've been denied. Nah, probably not.

explodet

Dan said:
Maybe Nintendo will throw us a bone with something they got and we've been denied. Nah, probably not.
So many bones to choose from, too - Kururin, Starfy, the Fire Emblem North America didn't get....

Dan

TheGreenGiant said:
Is this for gamecube. I don't see how they would slap this on a GBAcart and cannibalise what's on the shelves already
Umm, GBA... Japan never got these games...

ferricide

TheGreenGiant said:
:D Is this for gamecube. I don't see how they would slap this on a GBAcart and cannibalise what's on the shelves already
um, advance wars 1 & 2 never came out for GBA in japan.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
TheGreenGiant said:
NO SHIT.

:D Is this for gamecube. I don't see how they would slap this on a GBAcart and cannibalise what's on the shelves already

No, for GBA.

And you're wrong: AW was never released in Japan.

ferricide said:
um, advance wars 1 & 2 never came out for GBA in japan.

THAT IS UNBELIEVABLE / UNTHINKABLE. OMG WTF BBQ

I am seriously surprised. I hope it sells. What's the rationalisation of doing a jap sim title and not releasing it in Japan.. did they think the military theme might not appeal?

snapty00

Banned
No, I just don't think they had as much confidence in this one. After all, past Advance Wars games were just the opposite: released in Japan but not the U.S.

Nintendo could turn Advance Wars into a significant franchise, but it's squandering it with that Under Fire crap.

Dan

snapty00 said:
Nintendo could turn Advance Wars into a significant franchise, but it's squandering it with that Under Fire crap.
*waits for Under Fire to top Advance Wars' sales in US*

explodet

TheGreenGiant said:
did they think the military theme might not appeal?
I don't know about appeal - they released Famicom Wars, Super Famicom Wars, and a whole bunch of Game Boy Wars games - jarrod's got the list somewhere.
64 Wars was canned, natch.

So it was an established franchise in Japan. They just never got the two Advance Wars games for one reason or another.

mosaic

go eat paint
Well, I know that in the case of the first Advance Wars, it got shelved because it was set to come out in Japan a few weeks after the 9-11 attacks. Heck, they didn't ship a second shipment of the game in the US for months after that.

I'm assuming this is a two-pack of games and not a remix. Too bad, in a way, because I'd love to see all the levels and CO's from AW 1 and 2 clumped together into a single game.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
The first Advance Wars was originally set to come out in late September 2001 but was indefinitely shelved after the terrorist attacks. It probably would've happened to the US version too if it hadn't come out on Sept. 9.

explodet

And strangely enough Advance Wars went on to do very well sales wise. It's hovering around the 500K mark, last I checked.
AW2, not so much.

If Advance Wars had been shelved, I would have been VERY upset. It was the primary reason I got a GBA.

AniHawk

snapty00 said:
No, I just don't think they had as much confidence in this one. After all, past Advance Wars games were just the opposite: released in Japan but not the U.S.

There were never any Advance Wars games before this gen, spanky.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
fennec fox said:
The first Advance Wars was originally set to come out in late September 2001 but was indefinitely shelved after the terrorist attacks. It probably would've happened to the US version too if it hadn't come out on Sept. 9.

US Version came out ON sept. 11th actually.

Syckx

GDJustin said:
US Version came out ON sept. 11th actually.

This is true. I remeber calling gmae store to see if they were going to receive it that day and being told that deliveries were expected to be delayed because of the attacks. I eventually found it at Target that night. It's pretty sad that my most poignant memory of 9/11 was tracking down Advance Wars.

cvxfreak

Ah, thanks.

It wasn't on the GBA page of their Japanese site. Apparently, it's called "GameBoy Wars Advance 1+2" in Japan.

john tv

AniHawk said:
There were never any Advance Wars games before this gen, spanky.
He was talking about the series in general. There were several Wars games before the GBA, including GB Wars 1-3 and Super Famicom Wars.

Syckx said:
This is true. I remeber calling gmae store to see if they were going to receive it that day and being told that deliveries were expected to be delayed because of the attacks. I eventually found it at Target that night. It's pretty sad that my most poignant memory of 9/11 was tracking down Advance Wars.

Same here. I actually found out about the attacks while in the Toys R Us picking up Advance Wars.

cvxfreak

john tv said:
CVX - Game Boy = two words.

Pet peeve of mine. :D

I'm kinda in that "Soulcalibur II" IGN spelling thingy.

But damnit. Now I have to go back and edit a few GameScience news posts. Grr. :p (And I'm under the GameCube one word menatality - go me! :D)

Syckx said:
It's pretty sad that my most poignant memory of 9/11 was tracking down Advance Wars.

I agree, it's too bad you don't have awesome memories like me of tracking down the Japanese GameCube launch!

mosaic

go eat paint
I woke up just before 9AM on the morning of September 11th. Right as I switched on MSNBC to have something to watch while I got ready for work, the first image I saw was a live shot of plane #2 smashing into the second tower. My reaction was "WTF, what movie is this?! Wait... it's on MSNBC... live? Holy f*ck. What's going on?" And then I had to rush to work a few minutes later, and no one there was aware of the attacks. I told my boss about it and I think she thought I was joking. Then people listening to the radio or talking to customers on the phone began to chat. By 9:40 we were just like "woah."

And all day long customers just kept calling in to place classified ads for things like cars, knick knacks, and TVs. A week or two later, they wanted refunds because no one was calling because of dealing with the 9-11 aftermath. And we're like "uhhh, you placed the ad on 9/11. You shoulda known it was a dumb thing to do. No refund for j00."

Now, in an Advance Wars related note. I called K-Mart at noon on the day of the attacks and asked if they had "ADVANCE WARS" in stock. The woman on the other end of the phone hushed up as if I had blasphemed. And I guess, I kinda did. I mean, who the hell focuses on getting a game for $25 at K-Mart (as opposed to $29.99 elsewhere) when the country has just been attacked and more than 5,000 people killed?

I'm probably just as bad as those ad placers who called in ... ah well, it was the best game ever put out for GBA.

Edit: And yeah, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox... I've been schooled by a few head eds to get that stuff right. You know, for the first review of a NASCAR game I ever did, I thought it was Nascar. I had seen races before, just never dawned on me that it was an acronym for something. National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing... I think.

mosaic said:
And yeah, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox... I've been schooled by a few head eds to get that stuff right.

Writing it X-box or, God forbid, XBox, should be a bannable offense.

kiryogi

Banned
mosaic said:
I woke up just before 9AM on the morning of September 11th. Right as I switched on MSNBC to have something to watch while I got ready for work, the first image I saw was a live shot of plane #2 smashing into the second tower. My reaction was "WTF, what movie is this?! Wait... it's on MSNBC... live? Holy f*ck. What's going on?" And then I had to rush to work a few minutes later, and no one there was aware of the attacks. I told my boss about it and I think she thought I was joking. Then people listening to the radio or talking to customers on the phone began to chat. By 9:40 we were just like "woah."

And all day long customers just kept calling in to place classified ads for things like cars, knick knacks, and TVs. A week or two later, they wanted refunds because no one was calling because of dealing with the 9-11 aftermath. And we're like "uhhh, you placed the ad on 9/11. You shoulda known it was a dumb thing to do. No refund for j00."

Now, in an Advance Wars related note. I called K-Mart at noon on the day of the attacks and asked if they had "ADVANCE WARS" in stock. The woman on the other end of the phone hushed up as if I had blasphemed. And I guess, I kinda did. I mean, who the hell focuses on getting a game for $25 at K-Mart (as opposed to $29.99 elsewhere) when the country has just been attacked and more than 5,000 people killed?

I'm probably just as bad as those ad placers who called in ... ah well, it was the best game ever put out for GBA.

Edit: And yeah, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox... I've been schooled by a few head eds to get that stuff right. You know, for the first review of a NASCAR game I ever did, I thought it was Nascar. I had seen races before, just never dawned on me that it was an acronym for something. National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing... I think.

I was pretty selfish that day. All I cared about was getting my hands on Advance wars, and luckily I managed to despite the mall was closed. But I persisted, and nearby was an open GameStop! Selfish be it may, I was one happy gamer <_<

pilonv1 said:
What about xbox? Or XBOX?

while not correct enough for an article they're suitable enough for board use, as they can be seen as either laziness or overzealousness, respectively. XBox is as stupid if not more so than XboX or xbOx. PLEASE DON'T CAPITALIZE LETTERS IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE GOING ON ABOUT.

ChrisReid

kiryogi said:
I was pretty selfish that day. All I cared about was getting my hands on Advance wars, and luckily I managed to despite the mall was closed. But I persisted, and nearby was an open GameStop! Selfish be it may, I was one happy gamer <_<

On September 11 I made it to the mall just before it closed to pick up my Advance Wars.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
TheGreenGiant said:
THAT IS UNBELIEVABLE / UNTHINKABLE. OMG WTF BBQ
INCONCEIVABLE.jpg
Dan said:
*waits for Under Fire to top Advance Wars' sales in US*
yeah... like sales are always an indication of quality. besides, i don't think it'll sell very well.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
To be fair, a lot of people seemed to realy like Under Fire at E3, and by the time it's out it's probably going to have had at least another years work on it, so I'm hoping for good things.

Unless they were going to make it online, I can see no point in putting Advance Wars games on the GC if they're the same style as the GBA ones.

Dan

Scrow said:
INCONCEIVABLE.jpg
yeah... like sales are always an indication of quality. besides, i don't think it'll sell very well.
The game may not fit your ideals, but then, Advance Wars doesn't fit other people's either. Under Fire is undoubtedly more accessible and excluding the narrowminded opinions of people who reject the game simply because it's not turn-based, most enjoyed it. I bet it's well received.

jarrod

Banned
explodet said:
So many bones to choose from, too - Kururin, Starfy, the Fire Emblem North America didn't get....
Oh god yes, I'd snap up Kurukuru Kururin Paradise or The Legends of Starfi in an instant. :)

mosaic

go eat paint
A non turn-based Advance Wars game would be like a Final Fantasy action game -- like kittens barking, dogs meowing, and cows asking you how you'd like to eat them.

Shoryuken

mosaic said:
A non turn-based Advance Wars game would be like a Final Fantasy action game -- like kittens barking, dogs meowing, and cows asking you how you'd like to eat them.

I totally agree. That'd be like Nintendo making a non-platformer Mario game, I mean who'd want that. :)

cvxfreak

mosaic said:

I guess that's Crystal Chronicles' mold.

Drek

pilonv1 said:
What about xbox? Or XBOX?
X DUDE!

edit: Oh yeah, I feel sorry for all the Japanese gamers out there who've waited this long for two of the three best handheld games ever (tetris being their compatriot in the top 3).

Top Bottom