• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advance Wars 2 is Killing my Education

Im supposed to get 15 projects done for a portfolio presentation on the 1st and I spend my afternoon playing Advance Wars 2.

Anyway just wanted to mention how much it ROCKS

explodet

aw2_800x600.jpg

Memles

Wario64 said:
I need to play through the hard campaign sometime. Those missions can be brutal

I'm stuck on fucking Yellow Comet, so I must really, really suck. It's as simple as that.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I ran the biggest AW fansite on the web for a couple years, so I think it's safe to say that IAWTP.

What a lot of AW fans don't realize is that the (underutilized, imo) creation aspects of the title is what continued to drive AW fandom, even years after the game was released. My site had over 1200 custom maps that people had sent in, including entirely new campaigns. Long after all 20 (or 30, in AW2) War Room maps had been S-ranked, there was a hardcore group of fans making "War Room+" scenarios that were possible to beat, but more of a challenge than even the hardest map in the game offered up.

The process was sped along by a little app that allowed maps to be made right on your PC with just a mouse.

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
GDJustin said:
I ran the biggest AW fansite on the web for a couple years, so I think it's safe to say that IAWTP.

What a lot of AW fans don't realize is that the (underutilized, imo) creation aspects of the title is what continued to drive AW fandom, even years after the game was released. My site had over 1200 custom maps that people had sent in, including entirely new campaigns. Long after all 20 (or 30, in AW2) War Room maps had been S-ranked, there was a hardcore group of fans making "War Room+" scenarios that were possible to beat, but more of a challenge than even the hardest map in the game offered up.

The process was sped along by a little app that allowed maps to be made right on your PC with just a mouse.

Thats site sounds awesome. I'm hopelessly addicted to the level editor. Playing right now, in fact.

amrum

GDJustin said:

Where is this website ?

manji

I S-ranked the normal mode in AW2, and I've S-ranked the first 11 or so War Room maps...but I'm still very, very much of a newbie compared to some of the guys out there.

Yeah, AW2 is incredible. Every month or so, I pick it up and obsess over another War Room map until I get an S. Once you figure out what affects Power, Speed, and Technique, it's an entirely different game.

+1 AW2 love

-m

p.s. I've never messed around with the level editor...link that site, I'd love to try out some of the higher rated custom maps.

Deg

Banned
MrAngryFace said:
Im supposed to get 15 projects done for a portfolio presentation on the 1st and I spend my afternoon playing Advance Wars 2.

Anyway just wanted to mention how much it ROCKS

Dont play Fire Emblem :p

GDJustin

The site is currently hosted here:

http://www.underthemountain.org/awn/

Unfortunately, the aforementioned hugeass custom maps Dbase isn't functional right now, lol. I handed over control of the site about a year ago, and haven't had any involvement with it since. The hosting bounced around here and there, eventually ending up at it's current address.

The problem is that the map system was PHP/mysql driven, like a forum. So you can just up and move to a new addy and have it all work. I still think the site is worth checking out though, as an AW fan. A guide to making good maps, a complete media archive, complete MP3 selection, and really really in-depth guides. I worked my ASS off on that site when I was still in highschool a couple years ago.

I should poke my head in there for the first time in months and get them to get off their asses and get the maps back up. It's the only real reason the site would gain any popularity, these days. I'll let you guys know.

GDJustin

It's also worth noting that the surprisingly-stable Online Wars is at the site too. Played many matches on this PC with it.

Prospero

I'm still stuck on the final mission of the AW2 campaign. Someday, when I have a weekend free, I'll sit down and hack it out.

By the way, AW2 mutliplayer rocks. I played it with two friends recently on a train ride from New York to New Jersey--you can teach the rules in two minutes, and it takes about three more for new players to realize how deep the game is.

kiryogi

Banned
Flynn said:
So is everyone as saddened as me by the decision to make Advance Wars 3D realtime on the GC?

More like WTF when it was first shown, but impressions out there say its good. Wars 2 is indeed kickass! Don't forget to check out Fire Emblem MAF!

doncale

Banned
back in the day, Herzog Zwei and Military Madness raped my education. totally. completely. without any lubrication. I never recovered, heh.

andthebeatgoeson

For me, I have my GBASP next to the bed. Sometimes, I've stayed up until 3 with a wake up at 7am playing away. One of the best games of the past few years.

Flynn

kiryogi said:
More like WTF when it was first shown, but impressions out there say its good. Wars 2 is indeed kickass! Don't forget to check out Fire Emblem MAF!

I wasn't a fan. To me it played like an ill-focused Pikmin.

Top Bottom