• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2013 |OT| See the Bombers Shoot Up, Up

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Not completely sure how to tip tonight's game but I'm hoping West Coast can deliver. Adelaide and Saints is another close game. Both North and Saints are in pretty good form, North more-so, so you have to wonder how good they'd have to be to get a win interstate and how much resistance the home sides will put up.

maladroid

Tipped the Eagles. Dem ins.

Reckon our game against Port will be close (or a reversal of the odds, rather). Betts, Yarran and Ellard out from the last match, with Jamison and Murphy in doubt. Gibbs and Carrazzo still out. Injuries aside, our form hasn't been too hot, either. We've probably got the most dismal 'home' record at Etihad, to boot. Not feeling very confident about this week.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Tipped the Eagles. Dem ins.

Reckon our game against Port will be close (or a reversal of the odds, rather). Betts, Yarran and Ellard out from the last match, with Jamison and Murphy in doubt. Gibbs and Carrazzo still out. Injuries aside, our form hasn't been too hot, either. We've probably got the most dismal 'home' record at Etihad, to boot. Not feeling very confident about this week.

I'm really hoping Carlton play Troy Menzel. If he ends up being anything like his brother there's a lot to be excited for. He had a pretty good run leading up to the draft so I'd love to see early glimpses of his talent in the AFL.

maladroid

I hope so, too. Seems a natural in for Betts or Yarran. Then again, Casboult or Rowe seemed like the proper replacement for Waite, and we just ended up with 3 rucks, so who knows. Cachia was the last 'new' in, and he came in as a sub when he was announced, so here's hoping. Would love to see better forward play this week.

edit: d'oh

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane 55m
Carl v Port; Int; Bell, Bootsma, Cachia, Menzel.
Em; Hampson, Joseph, Rowe.
Waite, Menzel, Bell, Bootsma 4 Betts, Ellard, Hampson, Yarran.

Think Hampson's a bit stiff. Didn't feel comfortable with Kreuzer running around with that thumb guard Monday night. Felt a bit rushed. Wonder what's happened to Laidler and Duigan. Congrats to Menzel, Bell and Bootsma for getting the call up, nonetheless.

maladroid

Bigfooty has melted down. Find it a bit funny after how smug North fans on that board were after that Port match with a 20+ free kick differential. Wonder if they would have paid deliberate if Selwood didn't get the free for his duck. Still, NicNat had to take a massive mark and slot the goal after the siren to win it. Awesome grab.

jambo

Forgot to tip and forgot to update this post.

Only saw the first half tonight and it looked like the Roos were in control so it'll be interesting to see the second half.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday May 17th
West Coast vs. North Melbourne @ Patersons Stadium

Saturday May 18th
Essendon vs. Brisbane @ Etihad Stadium
Hawthorn vs. Greater Western Sydney @ Aurora Stadium
Gold Coast vs. Western Bulldogs @ Metricon Stadium
Collingwood vs. Geelong @ The MCG
Sydney vs. Fremantle @ The SCG

Sunday May 19th
Carlton vs. Port Adelaide @ Etihad Stadium
Richmond vs. Melbourne @ The MCG
Adelaide vs. St Kilda @ AAMI Stadium

Round 8 Teams

jambo

My tips for this weekend:

North Melbourne (I forgot to tip so auto away team)

Essendon
Hawthorn
Gold Coast
Geelong
Sydney

Carlton
Richmond
St Kilda

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Good quarter from Brisbane.

Edit: Last quarter. What a win this would be if Brisbane can get the win over Essendon.

Fantastic win!

Shaneus

Holy fucking shit. Who saw that coming?

What were the odds on Brisbane winning... wasn't it $14 or something? Or am I thinking of something else?

Their slide down is going to be glorious.

Dead Man

Nice work for Brisbane, close finish all the way. Get to watch another Collingwood game on telly, it means the will lose, sorry to any other pies fans.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I thought we had it won but for some reason we shut up shop around the 11min mark and then run out of legs when Collingwood started working their way back in. :/

Dead Man

I thought we had it won but for some reason we shut up shop around the 11min mark and then run out of legs when Collingwood started working their way back in. :/

I thought you had won it too. Glad the lads had some steam left. I thought they had overdone it in the first half and were going to collapse completely.

Shaneus

I thought you had won it too. Glad the lads had some steam left. I thought they had overdone it in the first half and were going to collapse completely.
Fucking shithouse performance in the first half, though. Typical bandwagon jumper, but you can't have a scoreboard like that and expect to make it up (as is Geelong's MO). May work in some cases, but I think they've learnt their lesson today. At least, I sure as shit hope so.

Still, not as bad as Essendon :lol

I always knew we hadn't scored enough for the Cats not to come back but I'm glad when they did hit the lead the boys stepped up again and won the game. Now we need to pull that sort of effort every week. We should be able to win all our games up to the bye, starting with Sydney in Melbourne.

Also what are people's thoughts on the Jolly report? I might be biased but big blokes aren't allowed to stand their ground anymore?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Also what are people's thoughts on the Jolly report? I might be biased but big blokes aren't allowed to stand their ground anymore?

I thought it was pretty soft. Looked like a good hit if a little high because of the height difference. It looks like Jolly was expecting Stokes to grab the ball out of the air and he stepped in to put in the bump. I don't know half the time how the MRP see the incidents so I have no idea if he's in any real trouble or not. Didn't look a lot in it to be honest. Just collected Stokes when he wasn't expecting it, anyone would be dazed after that.

I thought it was pretty soft. Looked like a good hit if a little high because of the height difference. It looks like Jolly was expecting Stokes to grab the ball out of the air and he stepped in to put in the bump. I don't know half the time how the MRP see the incidents so I have no idea if he's in any real trouble or not. Didn't look a lot in it to be honest. Just collected Stokes when he wasn't expecting it, anyone would be dazed after that.

The way the MRP is going this year, when there doesn't look much in it then it'll cost Jolly 2-3 weeks.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday May 24th
Collingwood vs. Sydney @ The MCG

Saturday May 25th
Port Adelaide vs. Geelong @ AAMI Stadium
Greater Western Sydney vs. West Coast @ Skoda Stadium
St Kilda vs. Western Bulldogs @ Etihad Stadium
Brisbane vs. Carlton @ The Gabba
Richmond vs. Essendon @ The MCG

Sunday May 26th
Hawthorn vs. Gold Coast @ The MCG
North Melbourne vs. Adelaide @ Etihad Stadium
Fremantle vs. Melbourne @ Patersons Stadium

Round 9 Teams

jambo

My tips for this weekend:

Sydney (by 8 points)

Geelong
West Coast
St Kilda
Brisbane
Essendon

Hawthorn
North Melbourne
Fremantle

Shaneus

Tipping Richmond over the Dons. Probably wrong, but I'd love to see Richmond make the most of what seems to be a psychologically frail Bombers.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Terrible game from Collingwood. They played so well last week, how does that go missing? Plus they've reverted back to relying only on Cloke to get goals. Ridiculous.

Dead Man

Pies have been embarrassing from what I have seen. Luckily I've missed most of the game.

Everything from the start of the second quarter onwards has been woeful. Like a different team to last week.

Swans played well too, it wasn't just us sucking, they looked really fresh and sharp all night.

Everything from the start of the second quarter onwards has been woeful. Like a different team to last week.

Swans played well too, it wasn't just us sucking, they looked really fresh and sharp all night.

Swans still a top 4 team. Just sadly we're not this year.

Shaneus

Terrible game from Collingwood. They played so well last week, how does that go missing? Plus they've reverted back to relying only on Cloke to get goals. Ridiculous.
What the fuck happened? I didn't watch it, but just saw their score... what a pathetic showing by them. How can one team be so inconsistent?

Honestly, if it weren't for Geelong, Hawthorn and maybe Richmond, I don't think I've seen one team play consistently (even consistent average games) week to week. Maybe add North into that.

Seriously, WTF. Should've happened last week, too right Andiie :(

Dead Man

So I missed it, but it seems Adam Goodes was racially abused by a young Collingwood supporter. Goodes pointed her out to security, she was ejected, and Goodes left the ground immediately.

I hate using the argument 'its 2013, seriously', but, come on, this can't still be happening.
Yeah, pretty shit.
From AusGAF:
Eddie went straight to the Swans rooms to apologise on behalf of Collingwood.

Eddie being everywhere is good for once!

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I'm amazed that Adelaide came back and won. Fantastic win.

Edit: And BigFooty is down, wonder if it's related to the game. :lol

Dead Man

Wow, I'm amazed that Adelaide came back and won. Fantastic win.

Edit: And BigFooty is down, wonder if it's related to the game. :lol

They did, wow, I only say the early score, it was about 50 to 20 or something. Bloody good effort. Too bad I want them to lose!

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
They did, wow, I only say the early score, it was about 50 to 20 or something. Bloody good effort. Too bad I want them to lose!

I stopped caring once it was around 30 up for North mid way through the last. Couldn't believe it when I saw the scores.

"Full Time: WHAT AN AMAZING WIN BY THE CROWS! North lead by 30 points at the 15 minute mark but the Crows kicked the last 5 goals to snatch the 1 point win."

maladroid

Sorry to any North fans here, but as a neutral, that was hilarious. 31 points up last quarter? 4 goals in 5 minutes? Was hoping North would hold on and keep Adelaide below us on the ladder, but at least they made me feel retroactively better about Adelaide's 'comeback' against us. I'm gonna be so cut if we miss out on the 8 to Adelaide by a win, but well done Crows.

On a serious note, I thought the incident on Friday night was handled quite well by all involved. Reports of a second incident from the same match not within earshot of a player. If all the times these kind of comments were caught on camera at the footy, it'd be a lot more than two, I think. Heard repeated Betts 'monkey' comments during the first Essendon match last year. Hopefully the media coverage has raised awareness of the issue and sent the message that this isn't okay.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm glad for what Goodes did - both for the incident and the aftermath. I'm happy that he didn't hate the individual rather the situations that she has grown up in.

I went to see Carlton play Brisbane at the Gabba last night. It was the first time I've been in the Gabba, despite living in and around Brisbane for almost two decades, and it was also the first time I've seen a professional AFL match in the spectator stands. My Dad used to play AFL in one of the small leagues back in country NSW and it brought back a lot of childhood memories. Especially with it being the indigenous round.

I enjoyed seeing my team win, but truth be told I'd rather watch the games on the big screen in the comfort of my home. I might miss out on the random calls of insults like, "Umpire #26!! How did you miss that call!? Go get your eyes checked at Specsavers!!" but it feels a bit more frantic and fast-paced on the TV. Or maybe it was just where I was sitting in the stadium above the Carlton fanbase.

jambo

The main thing I love about going to the game is the overview you get. On the TV you only get to see what they show you, but at the game you can see the full structures of the teams and plays coming together.

Plus the colour commentary =P

FUCK YEA CROWS!!! what a fucking win

poor north, another close one to lament over

I'm worried for Brad Scott. North should be winning more games and I think he might get the chop if they lose a few more close ones. I don't think he should, but it might be done just so the board can say they're trying something.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday May 31st
Brisbane vs. Collingwood @ The Gabba

Saturday June 1st
Carlton vs. Greater Western Sydney @ Etihad Stadium
Adelaide vs. Fremantle @ AAMI Stadium
Sydney vs. Essendon @ The SCG
Geelong vs. Gold Coast @ Simonds Stadium
Western Bulldogs vs. Port Adelaide @ TIO Stadium

Sunday June 2nd
Melbourne vs. Hawthorn @ The MCG
North Melbourne vs. St Kilda @ Etihad Stadium

Monday June 3rd
West coast vs. Richmond @ Patersons Stadium

Round 10 Teams

jambo

Tips for the weekend:

Collingwood (by 15 points)

Carlton
Adelaide
Sydney
Geelong
Port Adelaide

Hawthorn
North Melbourne

West Coast

legend166

I find it funny that three days after saying Eddie being everywhere is good for once, him being everywhere (who knew he did morning radio as well?) made for the worst scenario possible.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Are you fucking kidding me. What a nightmare.

30mins ago I was about to post, "maybe we've eliminated the Essendon bogey after all these years."

Omni

This game is intense.

How can I even study when this is happening? I do hope Cartlon pull out a win here.

Top Bottom