• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2013 |OT| See the Bombers Shoot Up, Up

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Probably one of the best comebacks I've ever watched, even though I support the loser with all heart.

I expect to see Carlton v Essendon in an AFL final between now and a year or so and I will cry about the bogey.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't able to watch but it sounded like an amazing contest.

My brother talked me out of picking Essendon (his side) ;_;

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday June 7th
Essendon vs. Carlton @ The MCG

Saturday June 8th
Greater Western Sydney vs. Geelong @ Skoda Stadium
Adelaide vs. Sydney @ AAMI Stadium
Gold Coast @ North Melbourne @ Metricon Stadium

Sunday June 9th
St Kilda vs. West Coast @ Etihad Stadium

Monday June 10th
Melbourne vs. Collingwood @ The MCG

Byes:
Brisbane
Fremantle
Hawthorn
Port Adelaide
Richmond
Western Bulldogs

Round 11 Teams

jambo

My tips for the split round:

Carlton (forgot to tip)

Geelong
Sydney
North Melbourne

West Coast

Collingwood

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Really poor game from the Cats. They do this all the time nowadays, barely turn up against the lesser sides. One day it's going to hurt them.

maladroid

Sorry to any North Blues fans here, but as a neutral supporter, that was hilarious heartbreaking. 31 points up last 14 minute mark of the third quarter? 4 goals in 5 minutes Let in 5 of the last 7 goals? Was hoping North Blues would hold on and keep Adelaide below us stay Top 8 on the ladder., but at least they made me feel retroactively better about Adelaide's 'comeback' against us. I'm gonna be so cut unsurprised if we miss out on the 8. to Adelaide by a win, but w Well done Crows Bombers.
Karma. Made a jab at my friend during the match and told her Waite had kicked twice as many goals as her whole team combined. In the end Waite kicked more than twice as many goals as the rest of my team combined. My friend turned to me during the third quarter and asked if I felt comfortable with our lead. I told her about our second quarter against Brisbane, and then saw the same thing happen in the 4th. God it sucks going for a mentally soft team.

I dunno what to take out of this game. Guess our taggers did their part on Watson and Stanton? No injuries or dodgy umpiring to fall back on. Thought it was well umpired (or maybe that's because we got the rub of the green), besides the Stanton non-call, and the newer rules in the Garlett non-review and Curnow sliding call.

The fact the umpires did not call play back to check whether the decision was correct, was due to Essendon immediately bringing the ball back in to play.

Essendon defender Dustin Fletcher immediately re-introduced the ball back in to play from the kick-out - with replays only being made available 20 or 30 seconds after the incident.
They really need to fix this. Absolute shambles.

Shaneus

Really poor game from the Cats. They do this all the time nowadays, barely turn up against the lesser sides. One day it's going to hurt them.
They *always* play better from behind. Look at the comeback against Collingwood. Honestly, I can't remember seeing a game (against above-average sides) where they so obviously dominating any of the earlier quarters. I'm actually sure that on the radio today Geelong have won 2 of this year's 11 first quarters. TWO.

jambo

What the hell is going on over at North?

I thought for sure they'd be top 8 this year, maybe even top 4.

=\

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell is going on over at North?

I thought for sure they'd be top 8 this year, maybe even top 4.

=\

I noticed this in the North - Geelong game last year, they seem to be one of those sides that are fantastic when they are allowed to run the ball and play their preferred style but once you get stuck into them and give them a tough physical battle then they tend to crumble.
Once they sort that out they'll be a good side.

Yagharek

St Kilda robbed. Umpires switched the holding the ball and holding the man rules in the final quarter depending on colours.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday June 14th
Carlton vs. Hawthorn @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday June 15th
Richmond vs. Adelaide @ The MCG
Fremantle vs. Brisbane @ Patersons Stadium
Essendon vs. Gold Coast @ Etihad Stadium

Sunday June 16th
Greater Western Sydney vs. Port Adelaide @ Skoda Stadium
Collingwood vs. Western Bulldogs @ Etihad Stadium

Byes:
North Melbourne
Sydney
St Kilda
Geelong
West Coast
Melbourne

Round 12 Teams

jambo

Tips for this weekend.

Hawthorn (didn't tip, away team auto)

Richmond
Fremantle
Essendon

Port Adelaide
Collingwood

I can see the Crows maybe getting over Richmond and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Port lose to GWS, but here's hoping!

maladroid

I think supporting a team really does a number on your ability to be impartial in games involving your club, but to the neutrals who watched tonight's match, would you say the umps favoured one team over the other? A great team would have won regardless, but I'm just curious.

fisheyes

I'm tipping Suns over Essendon. Just a feeling I have.

Though I'm tipping the Bombers, I wouldn't be surprised. Collingwood are also so erratic that the Bulldogs could pip them, and, as mentioned, unfortunately Port are ripe for the plucking, and G Dubs could once again claim them as a scalp.

Could be an interesting weekend, this one.

jambo

CARNDAPEAR!!!

I was at a birthday so I couldn't watch the match, but I'm recording the Foxtel replay.

Sounds like I'll only need to watch the first three quarters though.

Awesome return to form by the lads!

fisheyes

I was also at a birthday, so I also missed it, but I also recorded it on Foxtel, and will also watch it later. We're twins or something. Shame we couldn't put the foot down in the last quarter and get those extra couple of percentage points that would've gotten us into the 8, but its good to see us back on the winners list.

Also, another whopper for me, and by the looks of it, plenty of others. Last week I was 1 of 2 in my family tipping comp, and 1 of 2 in my uni tipping comp, to get a perfect round - this week, 7 in my family got the perfect round, and about 50 in the uni one did! A few got it in our little GAF comp, too. There was a sneaky chance of a couple of upsets, but in the end, it was all the favourites, and easily. Easiest round for the year?

jambo

I didn't tip the Friday night match, but the away team won so it says 6/6.

Not sure if I'll get the Whopper.

jambo

So footytips.com.au is telling me I won a Whopper, but I can't seem to click on anything to get the voucher.

No memory of how I did it in Round 5 either...

EDIT: Fucking AdBlock haha, forgot to disable it LIKE I DO ON NEOGAF.

jambo

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/st-kilda-forward-charged-with-rape-20130618-2ofzh.html

K6WGsM3.jpg

St Kilda footballer Stephen Milne has been charged with four counts of rape after a lengthy review saw Victoria Police overturn the results of the initial investigation following an incident which took place after the Saints pre-season 2004 Grand Final victory.

Police confirmed on Tuesday that the extensive review by the Sexual Crimes Squad found that the initial investigation had proved "substantially inadequate".

Milne, who has spoken in previous weeks about the toll upon his family due to sledging he has received from spectators during games referring to the incident, is believed to have learned on Monday that he was to be charged.

Milne and team-mate Leigh Montagna were investigated but not charged following sexual assault allegations following an incident involving two women on the night that followed the NAB Cup victory.

The review of the original investigation – at the behest of the Office of Police Integrity – followed an inquiry into 2010 allegations made by the detective leading the investigation that he had dropped the charges under pressure from other officers.

A senior officer in the region reportedly had a part-time job with St Kilda at the time.

Former Brighton Senior Detective Scott Gladman had told Channel Nine last year that records of interviews with the players were stolen from his desk and the alleged victim's statement was leaked to the football club.

Disgusting abuse of power and disgusting original act if found guilty.

Shaneus

Fucking hell. Utter disgrace.
Yep. But come on... "stolen from his desk"? Who the fuck keeps anything that could be remotely important, let along stuff INVOLVING RAPE on their desk? Shit's digital, there should be digital copies of whatever it was *everywhere*. Sounds like that guy was in on it as well.

Fucking pathetic. If Milne's still playing, he'd better get the fucking chop (which I assume he would, given that he'll hopefully be in the slammer).

Yep. But come on... "stolen from his desk"? Who the fuck keeps anything that could be remotely important, let along stuff INVOLVING RAPE on their desk? Shit's digital, there should be digital copies of whatever it was *everywhere*. Sounds like that guy was in on it as well.

Fucking pathetic. If Milne's still playing, he'd better get the fucking chop (which I assume he would, given that he'll hopefully be in the slammer).
Lol wut? Have u been in a police station before? There's paperwork everywhere.

fisheyes

Does anyone think Melbourne are a bit of a sneaky chance against the Saints this week? Between the new coach factor, the Milne controversy for the Saints, and the fact that, lets face it, the Saints are pretty awful themselves, I spent a good couple of minutes contemplating tipping the Dees. Just couldn't bring myself to do, it though. Especially since I can't bring myself to tip against Port, so I'm already battling uphill for my third straight perfect round.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone think Melbourne are a bit of a sneaky chance against the Saints this week? Between the new coach factor, the Milne controversy for the Saints, and the fact that, lets face it, the Saints are pretty awful themselves, I spent a good couple of minutes contemplating tipping the Dees. Just couldn't bring myself to do, it though. Especially since I can't bring myself to tip against Port, so I'm already battling uphill for my third straight perfect round.

I don't give them much chance at all, they've lost a couple important players for them and bought in no one and while they have shown moments where they can be pretty competitive I don't believe they can sustain for more than a couple quarters. Saints are the better side. They've got a couple of important milestone games this week too don't they? (Dal Santo, Reiwoldt) Most teams get up for respected player milestones.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday June 21st
Hawthorn vs. West Coast @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday June 22nd
Port Adelaide vs. Sydney @ AAMI Stadium
St Kilda vs. Melbourne @ The MCG
Western Bulldogs vs. Richmond @ Etihad Stadium

Sunday June 23rd
Fremantle vs. North Melbourne @ Patersons Stadium
Brisbane vs. Geelong @ The Gabba

Byes:
Adelaide
Gold Coast
Greater Western Sydney
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon

Round 13 Teams

jambo

My tips for this weekend:

Hawthorn

Sydney
St Kilda
Richmond

Fremantle
Geelong

Will be interesting to see how the Dees go under Craig, could be a breathe of fresh air. Would love to see the Ports get up over Sydney, but I reckon they're just far too strong at the moment.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Port with a really good chance of upsetting Sydney. Only 4 pts in it at the last change.

Edit: What a win. Well done Port.

zbeeb

brilliant game last night between the hawks and west coast and todays port v swans game is damn close!

still only a goal in it half way through Q4

fisheyes

Power, you stars! I had footy Saturday morning, so when I got off the field and heard they were 9 points down at half time, I decided to rush down to AAMI for the second half. So glad I did. Stunning win.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Well done, Brisbane. You knew before the game Geelong would take it lightly, there was always that chance and they showed it today.
52pts up? Fantastic fight.

Shaneus

There are not enough laughs in the world for Geelong and Sydney's losses this weekend.
Did Geelong lose?!?

Holy fucking shit. I was sure when I checked that they were a good 30 points up... at least enough for me to think they would shit it in. Christ.
Edit: Fucking hell, that's downright pathetic. Didn't we fritter away a massive margin recently? Or got too far behind and barely caught up? (I could well be describing EVERY FUCKING MATCH). Yep, fucking pathetic.

Well done, Brisbane. You knew before the game Geelong would take it lightly, there was always that chance and they showed it today.
52pts up? Fantastic fight.
I didn't pay any attention to the game at all, but to claw back a 52 point deficit... good on them. WTF Geelong, just complacent and damn stupid.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Did Geelong lose?!?

Holy fucking shit. I was sure when I checked that they were a good 30 points up... at least enough for me to think they would shit it in. Christ.
Edit: Fucking hell, that's downright pathetic. Didn't we fritter away a massive margin recently? Or got too far behind and barely caught up? (I could well be describing EVERY FUCKING MATCH). Yep, fucking pathetic.

I didn't pay any attention to the game at all, but to claw back a 52 point deficit... good on them. WTF Geelong, just complacent and damn stupid.

You know how much Geelong love their holidays. ;) They always seem to love taking that extra week off.

Shaneus

You know how much Geelong love their holidays. ;) They always seem to love taking that extra week off.
Maybe it's a Geelong thing? I know whenever I take a few days off from work it takes me a good week or two to get back into the swing of things, ahaha

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Just reminding people there's a Thursday game on this week, WCE v Ess, so don't forget to get your tips in tomorrow.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Thursday June 27th
West Coast vs. Essendon @ Patersons Stadium

Friday June 28th
Sydney vs. Carlton @ The SCG

Saturday June 29th
Gold Coast vs. Adelaide @ Metricon Stadium
Port Adelaide vs. Collingwood @ AAMI Stadium
Geelong vs. Fremantle @ Simonds Stadium
Melbourne vs. Western Bulldogs @ The MCG

Sunday June 23rd
Hawthorn vs. Brisbane @ Aurora Stadium
North Melbourne vs. Greater Western Sydney @ Etihad Stadium
Richmond vs. St Kilda @ The MCG

Round 14 Teams

jambo

My tips for this weekend

Essendon (by 5 points)

Sydney

Gold Coast
Port Adelaide
Geelong
Western Bulldogs

Hawthorn
North Melbourne
Richmond

Hoping for some more Port momentum similar to the start of the year to carry us into the finals!

I was originally going with West Coast, but then I saw their ins and outs.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight's game is a coin toss, though I feel pretty good picking Essendon.

Might go against Geelong this week. Form hasn't been great and Freo has been more than competitive whenever we play them. No Stevie J hurts. I'll need to see the sides first.

GC v Ade could be fun.

Top Bottom