• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Afrika |OT| of pretending to work for National Geographic

rmpa1x.jpg

[Note: If you don't like the game and just want to come criticize the graphics. Find another thread please. Thanks!]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TITLE: AFRIKA
GENRE: 3rd Person Photography Game
SUB-GENRE: Wildlife Simulator
PLATFORMS: PlayStation 3
DEVELOPER: Rhino Studios
PUBLISHER: Sony Computer Entertainment (Japan, Asia) | Natsume (United States)
PLAYERS: 1
INSTALL: 1.8 GB of HDD Space Required
RATING: E for Everyone
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE DATES:
JAPAN:
August 28, 2008

ASIA:
December 12, 2008
(Title Change: Hakuna Matata)

UNITED STATES:
October 6, 2009 --> October 13, 2009 (Delayed)
(New Publisher, Trophy Support Added)

EUROPE:
Chances on it coming are very low. Importing from U.S. recommended.
PREORDER/BUY:
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZKDOUI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

EBGames:
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75692

New Egg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261060&Tpk=Afrika

24b6p6o.jpg

ABOUT AFRIKA:
"Explore the wildlife of Africa in this revolutionary game! Africa's animals and plants are all rendered in stunning photorealistic detail. As a photographer, you'll use licensed, real-world photography equipment to complete assignments and capture everything from bathing hippos to a cheetah on the hunt. Explore the land, find new animals, and earn a name for yourself as a professional photographer!"

• Over 70 animals to find and more than 100 missions to complete!

• Animals behave and interact with each other just like their real-world counterparts!

• Explore environments ranging from grassland to marsh to forest.

• Innovative photo grading system teaches you the skills of a professional photographer!"

• Trophies added to the game!
UPDATES:
10/5 - Thread created, More Information Added
10/6 - Install Size added, wallpaper added
10/7 - Release date change, IGN review added
REVIEWS:
70% Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
"It's beautiful and soothing." [Nov 2009, p.76]

B- 1UP.COM
"Once you just sit back and enjoy it, though, Afrika cements itself as a one-of-a-kind adventure through a land most of us won't see "in person."

3.5 IGN.COM
"Afrika is a mess. It's not a broken game, but it definitely isn't a fully functioning one. It's limited in its scope, it doesn't look good, it's not fun to play, and I could go on."
MORE INFO:
The save file for the Japanese version varies on the amount of pictures you take. It can go as high as 387 MB (Maybe higher) and takes a long time to load. Be patient.
VIDEOS:
Gameplay Video:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-afrika/50903?type=flv
TGS 06 Trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-06-afrika/13318
TGS07 Trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-07-afrika/25148
Views Trailer 2008:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/views-trailer-afrika/37294
Making of the AFRIKA Soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxiipq62kUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WALLPAPER:
http://i36.tinypic.com/r6xtm9.jpg

t020ph.jpg

2460yfb.jpg

r8z81x.jpg

v7rrki.jpg

11aiweg.jpg

Special Thanks to: Alessa Gillespie [Junior awaiting approval] for additional thread information.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Will it have trophies?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh.. I didn't even know this game had picked up a US publisher!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This actually looks like something that would be right up my alley, I like nature but I don't like going outside so Afrika could be the best of both worlds. The only similar game that I've played is Pokemon Snap. So is this "on rails" or do you have full movement? Also, can you be mauled by the Lions? If so, I'm sold.

Snuggler said:
This actually looks like something that would be right up my alley, I like nature but I don't like going outside so Afrika could be the best of both worlds. The only similar game that I've played is Pokemon Snap. So is this "on rails" or do you have full movement? Also, can you be mauled by the Lions? If so, I'm sold.

Nope, you have full 3rd person control over your character.

2i6jjq.jpg

iamcool388 said:
Any gameplay videos of this out yet? Any reviews?

Gameplay Video

There isn't any reviews of the U.S. version that I know of. I will check often today.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I hope they back-patch trophies into the import version :p

Digital-Hero said:
Nope, you have full 3rd person control over your character.

2i6jjq.jpg

That's kinda a lie, actually. The first several missions of the game are on rails. It's only about 10-15% into the game that you get the ability to drive your own car and wander beyond a certain radius from it.

vazel

Banned
Digital-Hero said:
The Amazon price is higher than the EBGames price. WTF? :lol
And I kept emailing them that their price is $10 above msrp but they just kept giving me 'we can't do anything about it we get our prices from the manufacturer'. I'm sure the price will change on release day but it's so annoying because I kept wanting to pre-order.

Snuggler said:

you have full movement. the "big game" photo ops are scripted though. no you cant be attacked. you get a little warning cut scene type thing. same if you get too far away from your vehicle

i have hakuta matata and its a cool, relaxing game. the trickiest shots ive come across getting close-ups of certain birds. a lot of them look the same in the air and it takes them a while to land. then its tricky getting close without scaring them off. the waiting can be a real pain tbh

Stumpokapow said:
I hope they back-patch trophies into the import version :p

That's kinda a lie, actually. The first several missions of the game are on rails. It's only about 10-15% into the game that you get the ability to drive your own car and wander beyond a certain radius from it.

I was able to play the Japanese version for about 5 minutes over a year ago and I had full control. I don't know the whole experience so my answer was based on that. My apologies.

Hmm, I bought the Japanese version on release last year and realy enjoyed it but I'm undecided whether or not to double dip. Think I'll wait and see if the JPN version gets a trophy patch or something as that (alongside having the game completely in English) is pretty much what would give me the incentive to replay through it again.

beast786

wow... Didnt know this was soo close.

Will pick it up.

So far

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Afrika
demon Souls
Brutal Legends
Uncharted 2
Rachet and clank

Wow.. Wife wont like this :lol

vazel

Banned
I hate to be one of those fanboys that proselytizes videogames. But unlike other 'underappreciated gems' proclaimed by fanboys this one is sure to really sell poorly. People shouldn't hesitate to buy this game to show interest in the American market. Games like this are few and far between.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I will probably buy this, but even with the low price there is too much else that I want to buy over the next few months. I'm on a limited budget, so I can only get the games I really want. It's Uncharted 2 then Ratchet for me for October, but maybe once December comes around and things slow down I can pick this up. I know this has been said a lot before, but this seems like it could have been great as a PSN title, it'll probably be hard for me to find this in-store.

Oneself

vazel said:
unlike other 'underappreciated gems' proclaimed by fanboys this one is sure to really sell poorly. People shouldn't hesitate to buy this game to show interest in the American market. Games like this are few and far between.

This.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
vazel said:
I hate to be one of those fanboys that proselytizes videogames. But unlike other 'underappreciated gems' proclaimed by fanboys this one is sure to really sell poorly. People shouldn't hesitate to buy this game to show interest in the American market. Games like this are few and far between.

I'll be getting this one this week. I am thinking there won't be many shipments of this title. Seems like a definitely change of pace game.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I hope the patch my import version, I don't want to re-buy it for trophies and I have barely started so don't mind starting over.

Oneself said:
Day one. This kind of release is a good thing, they'll get my money.

Yep, same here. You guys can rag on this game all you want, I am ready to play it with my 5 year old daughter. She is going to love this, I know it.

I am starting to think Afrika, Katamari, and Mini Ninjas might be a nice collection of $49.99 games to pick up at Toys R Us next week. However, I dont know if I can wait, I really want to check out Afrika.

Wow that gameplay video sold me. I was a maybe earlier on, but I will buy this soon. It looks like easy fun, and thats good enough for me in my books.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I need more information on the trophies for me to consider it.

jluedtke

outunderthestars said:
day one. I am actually buying a ps3 so I can play this game with my daughter. :)

Same here. Except with my son. ;)

Glad to see this game get released. I loved Pokemon Snap, despite not being a Poke-nerd, and this game looks 100 times better.

BitchTits

Wow, this took a long time to get a Western release, is it out/coming out in Europe?

Ever since it was first shown, this was a system seller for me, but I completely forgot all about it. PS3 Slim is looking tasty right about now.

BitchTits said:
Wow, this took a long time to get a Western release, is it out/coming out in Europe?

Ever since it was first shown, this was a system seller for me, but I completely forgot all about it. PS3 Slim is looking tasty right about now.

Only about a year but I guess that could be considered long these days. This was the norm back in the 80's/90's.

I hope my Korean/English version gets a patch but I'm not sure if I would replay the 3/4:s of the game I've completed already.

I played it with my mother and had loads of fun. Not many games you can say that about.

olimpia84

I bet the trophies are like get a pic of a giraffe eating a fruit from a tree or catch a lion yawning.

I might pick this up when it's 20 bucks though.

inner-G

Banned
I already own the JP version, and while I would like the trophies, I'll probably not get this one, or get it after it goes cheap.

Never got Aquanaut's Holiday though, if they publish that, I'm there day 1.

Tailzo

I actually got the US version preordered. Had almost forgot about that since I am so eager to play Demon's Souls. Btw, any word on getting Aquanauts holiday? I'd buy that too.

madmook

Been intrigued about this game (or the concept of this game) ever since it was announced. Finally an official English version! But at $60 I'm turned off. At $50 I'm on the fence, and at $40 its automatically bought. I'm hoping that Amazon drops it to $50, because then I can use an ECA coupon to drop it to $45.

Top Bottom