• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Afrika |OT| of pretending to work for National Geographic

poweld

madmook said:
Been intrigued about this game (or the concept of this game) ever since it was announced. Finally an official English version! But at $60 I'm turned off. At $50 I'm on the fence, and at $40 its automatically bought. I'm hoping that Amazon drops it to $50, because then I can use an ECA coupon to drop it to $45.
No, you can't.

Oneself

Chairhome said:
Remember that next week is Toys R Us's buy 2 get 3rd free sale.

Yeah if I was in the US ... I'd grab Afrika, Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2 ... and it would be like an explosion of joy and absolute happiness... but no, Toys R Us in Canada aren't doing the same.

olimpia84 said:
I bet the trophies are like get a pic of a giraffe eating a fruit from a tree or catch a lion yawning.

I might pick this up when it's 20 bucks though.

dawg...thats actually what the missions are like. at least in the beginning

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
olimpia84 said:
I bet the trophies are like get a pic of a giraffe eating a fruit from a tree or catch a lion yawning.

I might pick this up when it's 20 bucks though.

That's pretty unlikely given that the entire game's mission system is doing things like catching a hippo yawning.

Ranger X

This game is really cool and underrated. Any people that did like the photo gameplay of Pokemon Snap or Beyond Good And Evil and also like animals MUST buy this.

Anyone intrigued by the photo gameplay and looking for an original and relaxing game MUST play this.

bestami

I imported this one from play-asia. Frankly it wasn't as cool as i thought it would. Maybe it becomes more interesting after 4 hours. Even tho there were some interesting stuff on it i couldn't keep on going.

Amir0x

Banned
i am going to get this, definitely. Wish there were more than 70 animals, but I love the set up more than Endless Ocean for sure.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Would have to check it out on a 50+ inch screens first to see if it's worth the time, if it is this is a day 1.

El-Suave

kassatsu said:
I might double dip for trophies. I really doubt the Korean/Asian version will get them.

It would (and probably will) be a triple dip for me. If some European publisher picks it up and translates it into German I'd quadruple dip to get it for my niece. She loves taking pictures, but the game would be unplayable for her without a translation.

I got the import months ago and loved it. Few things though, the save file is HUGE. Not big but Huge and also, when I bought my slim PS3 and was transferring the save file Afrika took me no joke... over an hour to back up!!!!!!!!!!

Fun game, I liked it. Is it known if they added voices to the game yet?

vazel

Banned
poweld said:
No! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!

Edit: Looks like it is coming back.
madmook said:
Been intrigued about this game (or the concept of this game) ever since it was announced. Finally an official English version! But at $60 I'm turned off. At $50 I'm on the fence, and at $40 its automatically bought. I'm hoping that Amazon drops it to $50, because then I can use an ECA coupon to drop it to $45.
That is a fuck-up on Amazon's part. MSRP is $50 so the price is sure to reflect that on release day.

OldJadedGamer said:
I got the import months ago and loved it. Few things though, the save file is HUGE. Not big but Huge and also, when I bought my slim PS3 and was transferring the save file Afrika took me no joke... over an hour to back up!!!!!!!!!!

Fun game, I liked it. Is it known if they added voices to the game yet?

I thought that was a joke when my friend told me but you are right. I guess they save all your photos in the save file itself! o_O

However, this may have changed for the U.S. release since the game is a newer build.

Machado said:
I really wouldn't put my faith in it selling a lot.

I hated the gameplay... that video is just quite boring...

Thanks for letting us know.

Kolgar

I think I'm in. Been a long wait, but this game looks like a refreshing change of pace and something I could enjoy with my girlfriend.

Yes, I support games like this.

jergrah

Been interested in this game for awhile - but dont want to drop more than $40 on it. Ill pick it up later on when it gets a price-drop.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Amir0x said:
i am going to get this, definitely. Wish there were more than 70 animals, but I love the set up more than Endless Ocean for sure.

I wouldn't worry about the number of animals too much since there's some diversity in environments. Sure, there are tons of Thompson's Gazelles, but they act and photograph differently when running in a pack versus when alone and under a tree.

A.R.K

Thread needs some pics!!!

3910744508_c3953199a4.jpg

3954270435_07cf6e7e45.jpg

3910743292_33623a7677.jpg

3954270163_c34c878a0c.jpg

3910746898_72cf586237.jpg

3910746594_55b0074a80.jpg

3910747060_137339ca95.jpg

3910745964_a5d0acf4c4.jpg

3872561197_bf69c67e08.jpg

3873346326_0e43abdc99.jpg

3910746178_ba5502e736.jpg

much better :D

naib

If there's no manual focus, shutter speed and f-stop it's a deal breaker.
i kid :)

My only experience with camera play in games is Dead Rising, Beyond Good and Evil, and Pokemon Snap. (lol, Pokemon is in Firefox's dictionary)
edit: oh, Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. I loved that game.

I've been interested in this since I heard about it. I'm actually surprised it made it state-side.
Tempted to grab it for that reason alone.

The most important thing to me is how it's scored. I don't think the critter count is that big of a deal, as long as how it scores you is creative enough.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
naib said:
If there's no manual focus, shutter speed and f-stop it's a deal breaker.
i kid :)

Consider your deal not broken because those are key components of the game.

The most important thing to me is how it's scored. I don't think the critter count is that big of a deal, as long as how it scores you is creative enough.

The scoring algorithm values focus, framing, and creativity. Every so often a really nice looking shot will get a bad score, but you adjust to the algorithm fairly quickly and learn how to take some great shots.

This game to me has the best use of the Sixaxis IMO when you turn the controller it turns the camera just like in real life. The first time I did it, I smiled.

I really love this game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just out of curiosity, how do the animals behave? Do they act "natural" and believable or just walk around in circles and shit?

naib

Stumpokapow said:
Consider your deal not broken because those are key components of the game.
Excellent! And I was being sarcastic.

Stumpokapow said:
The scoring algorithm values focus, framing, and creativity. Every so often a really nice looking shot will get a bad score, but you adjust to the algorithm fairly quickly and learn how to take some great shots.
Can you refine/define creativity? Do I get extra points for zebra upskirt shots?

I'm pretty sure I don't need to be sold on the game at this point.
Thanks Stumpokapow. :D

Damn I had no idea this was even coming out here. I already own the Asia region version so I won't be buying. It just makes me happy that Americans will finally get to play it. Great news!

wrowa

I still remember how amazed I was when I've seen the first screenshots of the game. Looking at it now, my thoughts go more like "kinda mediocre-looking". It's funny how the perception can change after only a few years.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Snuggler said:
Just out of curiosity, how do the animals behave? Do they act "natural" and believable or just walk around in circles and shit?

Surprisingly quirky.

naib said:
Can refine/define creativity? Do I get extra points for zebra upskirt shots?

Well, in terms of creativity, the missions ask you to get different objectives. I'll spoil two early missions for you; Get a picture of a Hippo yawning (very very very good timing required to do this) and Get a picture of a parent elephant helping nudge his child up a hill. There are tons more.

I never did finish the game (lost my save in a freak accident!) but from the first 40 or so missions that I did complete, there was tons of variety!

I'm pretty sure I don't need to be sold on the game at this point.

I know you say you don't, but would the ability to use remote control cameras, or climb trees to get better shots entice you?

wrowa said:
I still remember how amazed I was when I've seen the first screenshots of the game. Looking at it now, my thoughts go more like "kinda mediocre-looking". It's funny how the perception can change after only a few years.

The game is very uneven.

Framerate is not perfect and a lot of the environment textures are junk, but the animals animate splendedly, look gorgeous, and the draw distance is essentially infinite. I was struck by how uneven the visuals were, actually.

SaitoH

So is the release date tomorrow? I asked at EB today and they said the 14th, though the site still says the 6th.

Stumpokapow said:
The game is very uneven.

Framerate is not perfect and a lot of the environment textures are junk, but the animals animate splendedly, look gorgeous, and the draw distance is essentially infinite. I was struck by how uneven the visuals were, actually.

It' very... very obviously where they spent all the dev time on. The animals all look amazing but most everything else is not the best. Plus, what amazed me is the lack of voice in a Blu-ray game.

Shurs

This game is awesome. I imported the Asian version. It's a nice change of pace from every other game in my library. I highly recommend Afrika.

Toki767

I definitely wish this was released as a PSN title. I still might get this during next week's Toys R Us sale though. Depends on if they actually have it in stock.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Toki767 said:
I definitely wish this was released as a PSN title.
Why do people ONLY say this about Afrika? I do not get it. Do you really need violence in your games to feel comfortable about them or something? Honestly, I have no idea!

naib

Stumpokapow said:
~Honest feedback~

While the framerate and texture work is disappointing to hear, I'm more interested in the gameplay and critter behavior.

Dugg, Upvoted, +1 internet, etc.
Thanks again Stump.

Will read GQ's import impressions after House M.D. is over. :D

Toki767

jooey said:
Why do people ONLY say this about Afrika? I do not get it. Do you really need violence in your games to feel comfortable about them or something? Honestly, I have no idea!
That's not it at all. Afrika just seems like the kind of game that would be very convenient to have in your hard drive because of how relaxing it looks to play. Kind of like Flower. Just nice to have access to it without having to switch out discs.

Ranger X

Snuggler said:

They are believable. Of course they won't react as deep as true animal but it's the best looking/behaving animals i've seen in a game so far.

A.R.K

OldJadedGamer said:
It' very... very obviously where they spent all the dev time on. The animals all look amazing but most everything else is not the best. Plus, what amazed me is the lack of voice in a Blu-ray game.

Considering Sony was showing this game as one of their first games when PS3 was announced, looks like they did a half assed job on the game. They could have really made it a much much better game with all that time they had. Hopefully Afrika 2 would be a much much better version of this (if it ever happens).

Amir0x

Banned
By the way, how extensive is the information the game gives you on each animal when you discover them? And how do you unlock all this information? Is it like Endless Ocean, which requires multiple visits to the animals?

Elaborate!

Flipyap

Ranger X said:
They are believable. Of course they won't react as deep as true animal but it's the best looking/behaving animals i've seen in a game so far.
It's a shame they never interact with each other outside of the overly scripted on-rails missions.
Being able to witness at least some of those behaviors in regular gameplay would add a lot to it.

No_Style said:
An amazing looking game. Will eventually pick it up. Some of those shots posted are astounding.
That description really doesn't fit this game.
Sure, there are some rare moments of beauty, but for the most part it looks... acceptable, and often quite ugly. Dusk and night look especially awful (which complicates the time-specific missions if you care about actual quality of your pictures, not the game's nonsensical grade).
I love the game, but graphically, it's a mess.

Amir0x said:
By the way, how extensive is the information the game gives you on each animal when you discover them? And how do you unlock all this information? Is it like Endless Ocean, which requires multiple visits to the animals?

Elaborate!
This is how it works in Hakuna Matata:

To get all of the information, you need to take a picture of the animal and submit it via "email", you then need to go to the field guide menu to check the info, view 3D models and see some post stamp-sized pictures and videos.
Actual high quality National Geographic photos (and sometimes videos) will be added to a separate title screen menu.
I'm not sure how unlocking stuff in the National Geographic library works, but I think it's linked to finding all variations of the animal, if there's more than one in the game (male, female, adult, young)

Amir0x said:

Elaborate!

The presentation for the encyclopedias is top notch. You only need to get a single shot of an animal to have it added. But enough jibba jabba, you just see for yourself with this guy's videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRp-PUc9Qpk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJsMUMpbxqo

You can view the Field Guide from within the game itself, so you don't have to exit to the main menu in case you were wondering.

And yeah, the game saves are handled pretty sloppily. They're about 400MB each since your save contains an entire portfolio (I can't remember if it's 30 or 300) of photos you can keep saved and export.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I definitely want to give this a shot, but I'm just not sold. Does it really have enough to warrant a purchase?

Top Bottom