• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Afrika |OT| of pretending to work for National Geographic

Chrange

Banned
Imported this one a while back. I'm still confused how National Geographic would send someone to Africa with only a kit lens :lol

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Valkyr Junkie said:
I dunno, did you collect these as a child?
2keyit.jpg
:O
My sister and I did! I wonder if we still have those.

I think I want this game... I mean I loved Pokemon Snap and this seems like it would be right up my alley. I thought some impressions from other territories were saying that the game had problems. Is this game worth the $50?

NotWii

Banned
Looks pretty bad for a PS3 game...

Far Cry 2's landscapes look better IMO
Some of the animals look photorealistic like the Hippo and the Leopard

Wag

I love quirky Japanese games like this and appreciate Sony bringing it over here to the US. That said I will probably wait for it to hit the bargain bin (which most likely won't take long) before I pick this one up.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Wii said:

While it doesn't look bad, it's pretty mediocre. The first videos of this game were incredible... I think that was the appeal at the time. Some point along the way this game just fell off the radar though.

Wii said:

It is evident what they spent more time on, the animals. That was more important anyway.

Flipyap

dwin45 said:
I'll consider buying this when it's $30 or less. $60 or $50 is way too much for a game like this.
How much should "a game like this" cost?
It's a great, unique game. For me, it's a system seller.

haldalish said:
No DL version, no sale
...What?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Flipyap said:
How much should "a game like this" cost?
It's a great, unique game. For me, it's a system seller.

...What?
Yeah no shit. People are too fucking choosy these days. No wonder I get the shits whenever I read people's ignorant crap on here.

msdstc said:
While it doesn't look bad, it's pretty mediocre. The first videos of this game were incredible... I think that was the appeal at the time. Some point along the way this game just fell off the radar though.

Please read the OP.

[More specific the text underneath the title banner.]

Picked up the Korean version a while back for 30 bucks on Play-Asia. Well worth it, a good go-to game if you're in the mood for just kicking back. It's true the game is a little uneven, but I'm glad things like this are available. I hope it does well, because a sequel in a rainforest would be terrific.

Chrange said:
An elephant mission. To find videos on youtube search 'Afrika' not 'Hakuna Matata' lol
Wow, seeing it in action it really looks like they included every thing I could possibly imagine that would make this game bad.

And why is the guy wearing a toque in Africa?

Flipyap

mrkapawutzis said:
Is the default camera set so that when you press up the perspective moves upward or is it the other way around?
Up moves up.

Except when you hold the controller sideways (to take vertical photos), the controls don't change and then left moves up.
Maybe they expect players to slightly tilt the controller, but I tilt it like a camera and this never stopped confusing me.

vazel

Banned
speedpop said:
Yeah no shit. People are too fucking choosy these days. No wonder I get the shits whenever I read people's ignorant crap on here.
Too choosy? You see the crap that sells in droves these days? More like this game doesn't have first person shooting. And no Miis in sight!

I've been interested in the game since I read about it earlier this year. I think I'll have to pick it up during the Toys R Us sale with Brutal Legend & Uncharted 2 =)

Lucky Forward said:
Oooh, I would have liked this game, but no invert-y-axis is a deal breaker.

It shouldn't be a deal breaker. I bleed inverted Y-axis, but you have to realize this isn't a fast twitch first-person shooter; it's a slow paced photography game where you never need to aim quickly in the vertical axis. You'll get over it in no time.

MidnightScott said:
I've been interested in the game since I read about it earlier this year. I think I'll have to pick it up during the Toys R Us sale with Brutal Legend & Uncharted 2 =)

Be careful how long you wait though. It appears this game will have a limited run.

Valkyr Junkie said:
It shouldn't be a deal breaker. I bleed inverted Y-axis, but you have to realize this isn't a fast twitch first-person shooter; it's a slow paced photography game where you never need to aim quickly in the vertical axis. You'll get over it in no time.
Oh, what the hell, I really do like the idea of this game...I'll see if my Gamestop has it on my way home.

Tailzo

Although I can easely see the graphics aren't as impressive as they were back in... o7 was it? I still think it looks ok from screens. I hope people give it a chance.

Lucky Forward said:
Oh, what the hell, I really do like the idea of this game...I'll see if my Gamestop has it on my way home.

All the Gamestops I called only got Demon Soul's. Not a single one got Afrika which I think may end up being a "rare" title.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Are they going to release the xmb theme for america now?

The XMB theme was put up by Sony, the original publisher. Natsume is doing the U.S. publishing so it is unknown whether it will go up on ours. You could just create a japanese account and get the theme. That is what I did.

vazel

Banned
Has anyone been able to buy this at a brick and mortar shop? All the online sites I've checked don't have it in stock yet.

kassatsu said:
I wonder if this version still has a 480MB save file :lol

IMO it couldn't work otherwise.

In contrast to every other game you actually NEED the photos to progress in the game (and the game has to reserve the full space for all 200 possible photos). Additionally, some events can't be repeated.

If they save the photos in the install/game data you could delete that file and by that making your savegame unplayable if you didn't submit an event shot yet.
Also you couldn't back up your savegame to use it on another console, because it would miss all the pictures.

I wonder if Sony will patch the other versions of the game. Obviously the trophy data was made by Natsume and the game sold not much to produce an outcry for a trophy patch (and I don't know if trophies are big in Japan/Asia anyway, especially considering the presumably more casual buyers of Afrika).
So I guess no, they won't :( (though I needed about 35 hours to basically 100% the game, I don't know if I would repeat that)

btw the first picture and the old trailers in the OP are kinda misleading because they are CGI (e.g. you won't see that much vegetation in the game and big herds only at key moments).

Kyleripman said:
Anybody who has the game or will be getting it: check out the following Flickr group to share your best photos!

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1188422@N20/

I did my part to that group, too :D
Also the linked guide should be quite helpful, I remember translating Japanese websites to gather the scarce information for the last missions of the game D:

speedpop said:
ignorant? stfu, it's my money. Game should be DL and I wont by till it is.

Oneself

haldalish said:
ignorant? stfu, it's my money. Game should be DL and I wont by till it is.

So you will probably never buy the game.. And you should probably stay out of the thread as well.

Bizzyb

Banned
mrklaw said:
ordered from videogamesplus. We should have more of this kind of game IMO

If you have a Wii you may want to looking a game called Endless Ocean. Pretty much the same thing except there is less of an emphasis on "missions" (though they do exist) and more on exploration

I will probably get this when the price comes down. $60 is way too much for a game like this.

Oneself said:
So you will probably never buy the game.. And you should probably stay out of the thread as well.

Every official thread has to have one troll who hates the game, will never buy it but will constantly post to tell everyone why they hate it. It's the GAF way.

Chrange

Banned
Did they fix the ridiculous load/save times for the NA version? I don't care about trophies, but if that's improved I might try it again.

vazel

Banned
Bizzyb said:
I will probably get this when the price comes down. $60 is way too much for a game like this.
That's an Amazon fuck-up. MSRP is $50. I'm sure once the game is actually in stock the price will be corrected.

vazel

Banned
Isn't wishing games to be on other platforms a ban worthy offense? Maybe we should add wishing for games to be on other distribution methods too.

Bizzyb said:
If you have a Wii you may want to looking a game called Endless Ocean. Pretty much the same thing except there is less of an emphasis on "missions" (though they do exist) and more on exploration

If he has a PS3 ;) he should look into Aquanauts Holiday.

It's an enjoyable, relaxing "game" is Afrika. I quite liked it.

OldJadedGamer said:
Every official thread has to have one troll who hates the game, will never buy it but will constantly post to tell everyone why they hate it. It's the GAF way.

no 360 version no buy!

OldJadedGamer said:
This game to me has the best use of the Sixaxis IMO when you turn the controller it turns the camera just like in real life. The first time I did it, I smiled.

the cool thing is that you actually can hold the DS3 like a camera (R1= shutter release , analog half way pressed = focus) so it's really a natural (and overlooked) use of motion control in current games.

Additionally if you shake your controller too much while taking the picture, the image will be blurry :lol
I took an (extreme) example:
2u971jr.png

Though an option to actually move the camera view with motion control instead of the analog stick like you would take a picture irl would have been nice.

kamorra said:
Well I bought the Korean version months ago.
I'm just saying; for the type of game it is, it should have a DL version. It's cheaper than most retail games, probably has a low file size, is small budget and is the type of game you pick up and play for 20 minutes then turn off.

Vard

haldalish said:
I'm just saying; for the type of game it is, it should have a DL version. It's cheaper than most retail games, probably has a low file size, is small budget and is the type of game you pick up and play for 20 minutes then turn off.
The install size is 1.8 GB and the save file is 480 MB. I don't know why it's so huge since I haven't played the game, but I highly doubt this will ever be released on PSN.

edit - Probably due to the game saving a large number of high-res photos you've taken.

Top Bottom