• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After watch rerun after rerun of Family Guy and Futurama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed Futurama always seemed to have more of a soul.

Family guy was good too but it seemed that the only reason i watched the show was to see what stewie would say next.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
I kinda agree that Futurama reruns hold up better than Family Guy reruns, but some episodes of Futurama I now absolutely hate because I've seen them too many times on reruns. The Mother's Day episode, for example, I now hate with a passion because I've seen it too many times on Teletoon in Canada. One more thing, does Teletoon only have the rights for a few seasons of Futurama, as I haven't seen any reruns of episodes from the latter seasons.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Family Guy still has some of the funniest gags ever.

Simpsons and South Park beat both of them, though, yes.

I wouldn't say I've gotten tired of the repeats of either, but Futurama does seem to have more easy-to-miss background humor that can be caught later on. Things like having two different Grover Cleveland heads at the museum.

Belfast

Futurama probably holds up better because it has a general story/continuity to it. Naturally, you're going to connect more with the characters if the writers invest a good amount of emotion and recurring characters into the plot.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I personally prefer Family Guy for the humor content. For my humor type, Family Guy is leagues beyond Futurama. But as an all around show, Futurama holds up better.
South Park's great too though.

Bowser

MrPing1000 said:
"Optimus Prime is Jewish!?"

One of the funniest things I've ever seen on tv (never broadcast episode hurrah for dvd)

Except it was broadcast :p I watched it myself, back in May/June @ 11:30 on Cartoon Network.

And I agree, I laughed my ass of at the Optimus Prime bit.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
They showed the Weinstein episode for the first time on TV last November, and it's been mixed in with the normal reruns ever since.

FightyF

Banned
I don't find Futurama funnier...but funny for different reasons, and I like both.

But I am kinda getting sick of both shows, and the reason is simple...there isn't enough of them. With the Simpsons, you have 4 times the number of shows (at least)...

Yeah...FOX sucks for cancelling both of them.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Fight for Freeform said:
I don't find Futurama funnier...but funny for different reasons, and I like both.

But I am kinda getting sick of both shows, and the reason is simple...there isn't enough of them. With the Simpsons, you have 4 times the number of shows (at least)...

Yeah...FOX sucks for cancelling both of them.
Didn't you get the memo? Family Guy is uncancelled.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It probably has something to do with the art style and voices in Furutama not being annoying as all crap. Oh, and because it's not so trashy it reminds you of other trash you've seen like Married With Children.

*can't stand Family Guy*

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Futurama has endless watchability for me, theres very few episodes ill turn off when its on TV. And watching the DVD commentaries just gives the whole show a new lease of life. It needs to come back.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Futurama holds up better for me because it was the more intelligent show. The writers did a great job to weight the satire/slapstick/characterization elements, much like The Simpsons did once upon a time. I love Family Guy, but's it's pretty shallow stuff for the most part.

Mashing

Family Guy is my favorite, but I love how some Futurama episodes have very touching moments (Jurassic Bark, The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings) to name a few.

The show needs to be picked up like Family Guy was. Highly underrated show.

SFA_AOK

Family Guy's just funnier for me. I've tried watching Futurama several times but I never get anything more than a chuckle here or there. It's clever in a lot of ways and it seems to have an appeal where the more "little things" you recognise, the more you enjoy it - but I don't enjoy that checklist-of-things-to-notice style (people said similar things about Kill Bill - which I also didn't like).

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Personally I'm getting burned out on Family Guy, namely because there's a very finite amount of episodes and Cartoon Network seems adamate about shoving them down our throats to no end. I was going to buy the DVDs, but now there wouldn't be much point. Perhaps I few years down the road when it's no longer televised and I want a reminder. I don't seem to get annoyed with Futurama quite as quickly, but then again there were more episodes, far better voice acting, animation, and general writing. In terms of the funny, I think Aqua Teen Hunger force is my new favorite. The first few episodes were a little crappy, but that show's really found it's stride and is just outrageously hillarious. Thank you Adult Swim, for giving me 30 minutes of laughter before I'm off to bed and back to work.

lazzo7-aquateen.jpg

Dice said:
It probably has something to do with the art style and voices in Furutama not being annoying as all crap. Oh, and because it's not so trashy it reminds you of other trash you've seen like Married With Children.
Incidentally, the Married With Children episode of Futurama was great.

I think one of the main problems with Family Guy is that a lot of their humor is based around how much time they devote to one joke... and once you've seen that joke a few times...

But did anyone else feel Futurama kinda petered out towards the end? The later episodes just seemed to have more of the forced drama and less of the funny... I wouldn't be surprised if a looming cancellation would suck the fun out of doing a show, though. Goddamn those ungrateful little shits at Fox.

Edit:
The first few episodes were a little crappy...
WTF Moononites!

effzee

many reasons that holds up. futurama has some direction or sense of story. family guys is completely off the wall. its funnier but i guess u cant be as attached to it as u would be to futurama. also i think there were more seasons of futurama and thus more episodes.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I think effzee nailed it pretty much -- I think Family Guy is funnier, on average, than Futurama, but Futurama has a pretty consistent story line and character development through the episodes. That goes a long way in making it watchable over and over again, as you can get into the story even if you're tired of the jokes.

Also, it's got all that purty eye candy.

FightyF

Banned
Didn't you get the memo? Family Guy is uncancelled.

Yeah I know...I can't wait. In the meantime, I'm not gonna watch re-runs though...I've watched them enough. I'd love for more Futuramas to be made as well, has there been any word on that show? Did its DVDs sell as well as Family Guy?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Banjo Tango said:
Edit: WTF Moononites!

I enjoyed the first moononites episodes, I just thought it took an episode or two for Frylock's character to get kind of settled in. I worry, though, that the series' creators are becoming overdependent on the Moononites obvious popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom