• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age Of Empires Online |OT| Yes, it plays like Age of Empires.

ElRenoRaven

Winnie the Pimp said:
ok got it, but then what if later on they bring out like 10 civs?

I mean i get that you only NEED one to play the game online competitively, however the OLD AOEs had ALL civs at your disposal. You were free to pick whichever you wanted for just 50 bucks TOTAL the game cost initially, so fuck that system unless they only plan to bring out like 3 civs MAX!

Nope. They've said they have a list of several they would love to bring out. So you can bet your bottom dollar they will. This game is entirely made to nickel and dime the hell out of you. Hell their "Bundles" are just awful and don't save you crap. It's fun for an hour here and there though and entirely playable without buying anything. Granted you see a lot of locked symbols but oh well.

well crap... i was planning to REALLY get into this one but if it's like that then i might just say screw it and spend my money (and more importantly my TIME) elsewhere, like on Diablo 3, SWTOR or stuff like that instead!

reKon

Banned
Hi GAF, I'm suddenly paying attention to this game. So does it like this is gonna touch Age of Empires II or just I stop hoping for a large price drop and pick up SC II?

Orayn

reKon said:
Hi GAF, I'm suddenly paying attention to this game. So does it like this is gonna touch Age of Empires II or just I stop hoping for a large price drop and pick up SC II?
It's very similar to AoE2 at its core, but AoE vs. Starcraft is an apples to oranges comparison.

eznark said:
It's releasing at 3 am in the east? Lame. Was thinking of staying up to start the download.
It's gonna be 2pm here, hehe. All hail mighty Europe! At this time, where can I read about differences between two sides of AoE?

ElRenoRaven

MiniKelly said:
6 more hours until release. Im going to play Greek.

Wait it's still not out? lol. Just had to do it. Kind of nice having had 16 days of nice gameplay. I fully expect the chat to go to total shit like most MMOs after launch. lol

I find the idea that you're on different servers really weird. There isn't any persistent global world that all players are represented in, so why not allow anyone to play with anyone else, even if it is limited by region like MMOs/SC2.
reKon said:
Well it's free to try out, so just try it out :p

ElRenoRaven

FieryBalrog said:
I find the idea that you're on different servers really weird. There isn't any persistent global world that all players are represented in, so why not allow anyone to play with anyone else, even if it is limited by region like MMOs/SC2.

Well it's free to try out, so just try it out :p

Yea. From the beginning this game just doesn't know what it wants to be. It wants to be an RTS but wants to be an MMO at the same time and really it doesn't really succeed at either. It's fun but AOE 1 & 2 blow it away. But hell as said it is free to play and hour to kill it will do it. It's a shame though It could have been so much more They focused on making a great RTS instead of this RTS MMO hybrid.

ElRenoRaven

AusQB said:
You need to uninstall the beta before you can install the full version.

Yup. Having the beta installed can actually cause problems. It did for a lot of people. So make sure you uninstall the beta.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
when does the game officially come out? is there a client like steam or something?

ElRenoRaven

DR3AM said:
when does the game officially come out? is there a client like steam or something?

Yes there will be a client that you download. It's just like playing any MMO in that regard. Also No clue on when it will be available for download.

demolitio

VALIS said:
T-minus 2 hours!!

and 10 minutes
Ugh. You had me all excited until you told me the ten minutes part. I was happy with waiting 2 hours, but 130 minutes is just too much! :p

Is there a buddy system or anything in the game? I'd love to play with some other people just to make it that much better.

ElRenoRaven

demolitio said:
Ugh. You had me all excited until you told me the ten minutes part. I was happy with waiting 2 hours, but 130 minutes is just too much! :p

Is there a buddy system or anything in the game? I'd love to play with some other people just to make it that much better.

You can do some "quests" co-op. There is also "pvp".

AusQB

I forgot, is there a mode where you can set up skirmishes against the CPU? Is that included in a premium pack?

VALIS

Woo! T-Minus 1 hour!!

and 10 minutes

This is my biggest new game event in years. Total AoE fanatic going back to the first one. I was in the beta, but only the first few weeks when it was kind of bareboned and it took you a half hour to download and compile the new assets every time you wanted to play, so I'm dying to see what's happened to the game since then.

A new Age of Empires! In 2011! Everything feels right with the world today.

VALIS

Paulokj said:
damn the game ask for a serial key to register :S where do i get one of this game? Marketplace? :S

AoEO forums say wait until 3am EDT and the serial key log in screen will be gone. I guess they're just letting us d/l early but we can't play the game until the offical release time.

20 minutes.

*drums fingers on desk*

VALIS said:
I'd say it's 20 mins, typical broadband cable connection.
Really, because after 50 minutes I'm still on this =/

x29tkz.png

AusQB

FieryBalrog said:

I really don't know what it is, there don't seem to be any settings on the launcher to fiddle with either.
That figure is irrelevant, the server needs to be where the files are being downloaded from, not your local exchange. However, being in the US I doubt a national connection would be that much lower.

inky said:
Yep, still asking for a key.

Ugh, I'll go to slepp then... wasn't going to play anyways. Night Gaf.
Night, man. And I'll go to store to buy my brand new shiney PS3. I hope you'll be working by my return, AoE.

edit:

jogarrr said:
It's working now.
Oh, right you are. Store - delayed!

Top Bottom