• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 |OT| Ghost Riders in the Skye - Tuesdays 10/9c

ZeoVGM

Banned
I loved quite a bit of things about the whole Agents of Hydra arc, but felt that a lot of potential was lost in the finale.-

* They kind of pushed a Big RESET button and avoided a lot of interesting consequences from the whole Framework:

-> Al staying in the framework was a very powerful moment, but in the end he comes back.
-> Everyone (outside Fitz a bit) treats the Framework memories like a dream instead of having real personal consequences.
-> The way they recover the Darkhold was super-dumb
-> AIDA was a great antagonist but in the end they get rid of her in less than 24 hours after exiting the Framework.
-> Ghost Rider appearance was very cool, but the way things went it felt like a Deus Ex Machina rushed script to get rid superfast of the arc.

I mean, there were some tangible consequences but the ones that could have really mattered (Al gone in the Framework, Fitz and Melinda really feeling the pain and confusion of Hydra doings, AIDA not doing dumb plans and being a pushover in the finale,etc) were kind of wasted in the end.

I think I said it earlier in the thread but it kind of sucks that they built up Framework Ward as an actual character only to (as far as we know now) have him disappear off screen.

I'm hoping this isn't really the last we've seen of the Framework and they have a surprise for us planned.

SeanC

Yeah, I wondered what happened to Ward. He was kind of there then kind of wasn't, felt it a missed opportunity but maybe the actors' time ran out on his booking for the show and they had to write around it. Good action with some solid emotion and so glad I got to see Trip one final time because I really dug him back in the day.

Overall an absolutely great season, they have a good formula down now and know how to structure out the season with so many episodes effectively. Glad it got picked up for another and that it's focused more on characters more (Seriously, the Mack/Daughter stuff was heartbreaking)

It felt like Radlciffe's beach scene could have been the series finale - not with a bang but a whimper. Then then diner scene was added to the end.

I think you're right. The diner stuff totally feels tacked on. Radcliff being the last shot would have been amazing and devastating at the same time.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think you're right. The diner stuff totally feels tacked on. Radcliff being the last shot would have been amazing and devastating at the same time.

The diner scene was always part of the episode and there was no other version of it. The producers are on record saying this and said a couple weeks ago that they were told to write a season finale instead of a series finale.

Radcliffe being the last shot makes absolutely no sense as a final shot in the series. It would be completely detached from the core cast in an alternate universe that they're not even in.

strafer

5WvTq0m.jpg

Radcliffe being the last shot makes absolutely no sense as a final shot in the series. It would be completely detached from the core cast in an alternate universe that they're not even in.

Ding.

It's a great scene but in no way serves as a closing scene for a show called Agents of SHIELD

Renpatsu

I always felt that Ward's last scene with Daisy and his resignation to the fact that ultimately his place in the Framework left his relation to the rest of the team (and her) with different responsibilities, while not a moment to stand up cheer, was a very reflective moment appropriate for a character brought back primarily as fan service but also served as the downbeat bookend to an arc that had honestly run its course in previous seasons.

Good lord what a season.

Macks scene with his daughter, while predictable, was well done and had me tear up.

And that final scene with Radcliffe was perfect. Loved it.

I wasn't super fond of how quickly Aida was beaten by ghost Rider but at least it looks to have consequences for Coulson.

Do we have any idea who the group that grabbed everyone is?

Well...ok, that was something! :)

So. is Robbie coming back next season? They seemed to be developing some flirting/relationship with Dasiy and him. (Saw someone mentioning on another forum that their shipping name could be Ghost RideHer ... :p)

The diner scene was always part of the episode and there was no other version of it. The producers are on record saying this and said a couple weeks ago that they were told to write a season finale instead of a series finale.

Yep.

"We were told to write a season finale, so we wrote a season finale, not a series finale," explained Whedon, with Bell joking: "Or a shitty series finale."

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/agents...rvel-agents-of-shield-season-4-finale-deaths/

Magwik

Banned
So what's everyone's take on the stinger exactly?

Mine would be that the space Phil isn't actually our Phil, and ties into the stuff him and Robbie briefly talked about.

Space Phil is the real Coulson and he's fulfilling his part of the Ghost Rider deal. Whatever the 'price' is

The Phil in the diner is the LMD. As people have said those scenes feel very independent so those being two different characters is the only thing that makes sense

antonz

Yeah I am really curious as to what price Coulson agreed to pay. Wonder if it has to do with the fact Coulson cheated death,

One thing is clear, the Coulson in space isn't confused about where he is, what he's supposed to be doing, and has no issues working the controls in the room to open the window. Whatever is going on he feels "normal" with what he's doing. That would seem to imply when we see him waking up in the ship its not directly after they were captured and him "waking up" for the first time. This Coulson has been on the ship and familiar with it for a while.

One thing is clear, the Coulson in space isn't confused about where he is, what he's supposed to be doing, and has no issues working the controls in the room to open the window. Whatever is going on he feels "normal" with what he's doing. That would seem to imply when we see him waking up in the ship its not directly after they were captured and him "waking up" for the first time. This Coulson has been on the ship and familiar with it for a while.

In the IGN interview they say there is a time jump.

Also, this image is awesome:

25mfGj9.png

antonz

They did mention there would be a time jump next season. So probably line up with whatever events and get established in cosmic marvel

Link

The Autumn Wind
I wonder if they can work something out with Fox to use SWORD before they start filming for next season.

I loved quite a bit of things about the whole Agents of Hydra arc, but felt that a lot of potential was lost in the finale.-

* They kind of pushed a Big RESET button and avoided a lot of interesting consequences from the whole Framework:

-> Al staying in the framework was a very powerful moment, but in the end he comes back.
-> Everyone (outside Fitz a bit) treats the Framework memories like a dream instead of having real personal consequences.
-> The way they recover the Darkhold was super-dumb
-> AIDA was a great antagonist but in the end they get rid of her in less than 24 hours after exiting the Framework.
-> Ghost Rider appearance was very cool, but the way things went it felt like a Deus Ex Machina rushed script to get rid superfast of the arc.

I mean, there were some tangible consequences but the ones that could have really mattered (Al gone in the Framework, Fitz and Melinda really feeling the pain and confusion of Hydra doings, AIDA not doing dumb plans and being a pushover in the finale,etc) were kind of wasted in the end.
I agree things were somewhat rushed and they could have used another hour or two to let things breathe a bit more, but if that's the biggest complaint I have, I'll gladly take it.

I could literally watch this all day. It's hypnotic.

LaNaranja

Wait, now I can't remember this either, what price did Mack pay for having the Ghost Rider in him earlier in the season?

Robbie payed the price. I don't remember what the original deal was but Robbie made the deal with Mac Rider to settle all of Ghost Rider's scores in exchange for freeing Mac.

Maybe Coulson agreed to take on a space hell demon for Ghost Rider in exchange for getting to borrow him?

Whenever Netflix gets around to doing Shadowland I demand that Daisy and Ghost Rider get to be in on it.

For everyone else, it was pretty much a dream. Fitz is the only one that had real actual consequences in the real world; people he killed in the Framework actually died.

jdstorm

Banned
After catching up on season 3 i rewatched The Winter Soilder Arc. Just a few dot points

1. I finally worked out why i didnt like Mac. At the start he was a taller more handsome Carth Onasi/Kaiden Alenko aka the bioware male love interest that everyone wants to throw out the airlock because they are dreadfully dull. At some point Mac got over his trust issues and stopped being Carth, but i wasnt ready to listen. Taking a break and coming back i was now ready to listen and it turns out Mac is a pretty great guy now that he has evolved into Agents of Shield's version of Tealc (Stargate reference)

2. Ward pretending to be a good guy was just awful. Really glad we dropped that.

3. Tahiti may be a magical place, but the constant mentions are as annoying as your social media friends who take photos of their food and expect you to like and comment on it.

4. The reduced budget has been a huge plus. More tightly paced bottle episodes, and practical fight scenes have been a great improvement.

5. Agents of Shield really needs a TV star to Anchor it. The episode where Maria Hill(Aunt Robin of HIMYM) guest stars is such a great example of how to build around a real TV star. Everyone else just effortlessly falls into place, and its now one of my favourite AoS episodes. I really like the core AoS cast, but no one else on the cast has that same star gravity that holds everything together.

Overall i would say that the final half of season 3 had higher highs, but that TWS episodes were more consistent. If i had to choose, i would say i slightly prefer season 1's closeout arc. However its really close.

Amazing finale for the best season of a any super hero show. I'm so happy we get at least one more. Here's hoping they can maintain the quality!

Aida/Ophelia/Madame Hydra turned out to be one of the best villains in the MCU, IMO. Her demise was a little rushed but still well done. I'm pretty intrigued about what consequences that will have for Coulson.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
How about that Space SHIELD huh? Possible GOTG2 tie-in after that movie seemed to
kill a few people on earth
maybe there's a push from Earth to find out what the fuck is going on?

Top Bottom