• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AHS : Hotel - Matt Bomer & Cheyenne Jackson are in, Jessica Lange is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
American Horror Story': Matt Bomer, Cheyenne Jackson Check Into 'Hotel'

After revealing that Michael Chiklis would star in American Horror Story: Freak Show at PaleyFest last year, the FX anthology used its annual appearance at the festival to announce the male leads in season five's Hotel.

Frequent Ryan Murphy collaborators Matt Bomer and Cheyenne Jackson have joined the cast of American Horror Story: Hotel, it was revealed Sunday at the closing night of PaleyFest 2015. Star Jessica Lange, who has toplined each of the first four seasons, also definitively confirmed that she will not return for season five. "It was my absolute favorite," she said after crediting her cast and the show's creators. "We had a great run."

[...]

While plot details were scarce as has become expected with all things AHS, Bomer will be the male lead, while Jackson will join the ensemble of the horror anthology. The casting marks both actors' latest collaborations with Murphy. Bomer, whose USA Network series White Collar ended its run in December, earned an Emmy nomination for his supporting turn in Murphy's HBO TV movie The Normal Heart. Bomer also had an arc on Murphy's Glee, playing Darren Criss' older brother. Jackson, meanwhile, co-starred in Murphy's HBO pilot Open and also had an arc on Fox's Glee as a rival coach.
"I can't confirm or deny that there may be a romantic relationship," Bomer said of his on-screen relationship with Lady Gaga, noting that he was "down" for any insanity the writers could imagine.

[...]

For AHS, Bomer and Jackson become the second and third confirmed cast members for Hotel, joining Lady Gaga, though Coven and Freak Show alum Kathy Bates is also expected to return to the anthology. For his part, co-star and fan favorite Evan Peters noted he wasn't sure if he'd be returning to the franchise but seemed open to coming back for another run.

Kinda surprised to see a newcomer (even tho he had a small role in Freakshow) as the lead. Was kinda expecting Chiklis to be the main character this time.

mjc

Lange being out is a solid start.

Yup. Got sick of her, as talented as she is.

And unless this season is a departure of the previous garbage, I might not tune in anyways. The random music numbers in Freak Show and the horrible writing/handling of characters was a super turn off.

I remember Lange indicating around Asylum that she was probably only going to do 2 more seasons before exiting/taking a break.

AHS needs to show that it can function without her at the center if it wants to survive as a real anthology series. This is a good step.

Admittedly, I didn't finish Coven and I only saw the first episode of Freakshow. How did that last season turn out? I'd be interested in going back at some point and seeing it through.

Lange wasn't bad, she simply was doing the same role each season.

Admittedly, I didn't finish Coven and I only saw the first episode of Freakshow. How did that last season turn out? I'd be interested in going back at some point and seeing it through.

Simply put, it was pretty boring.

Wreav

Banned
I'd be ok with AHS taking a year off to get their shit together. Each season has been worst than the last for a few years now.

I'd be ok with AHS taking a year off to get their shit together. Each season has been worst than the last for a few years now.

Considering Murphy is also working on American Crime Story and Scream Queens this year, I guess he will be somehow less involved this season.

Asylum has been the only good season for me. Season 1 felt like a campy soap opera with ghosts, season 3 was boring, and I only bothered to watch the first few episodes of season 4.

I really wish they ramp up the horror with the new season. And I'm definitely in the camp that's a-ok with Lange not coming back. I hope Evan Peters does, though. He's consistently good, even when he's forced to play less worthwhile characters.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Very glad to hear Lange is really leaving this time. I see Evan Peters is threatening to come back - hopefully he doesn't.

American Horror Story has a lot of problems and having the same 2-3 actors as the leads every year is definitely one of the biggest ones. Bringing back an actor here and there isn't a big deal, but when each season has mostly the same cast, it makes each season feel too similar to the last. Which is dumb for an anthology series.

I'm not sure about Lady Gaga's acting abilities, but I welcome any shakeup they want to bring to the cast. Matthew Bomer is a good actor though and I think he'll do fine as the male lead.

This will be the first AHS since Asylum with brand new lead actors, so at least that part is pretty exciting.

Terrell

I just hope they give Angela Bassett more to do this year. She's a great actress that has been poorly utilized the past 2 years.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Fine. Lange was absolutely overbearing in Coven and from all I've heard her role didn't get any better in Freakshow. I loved her in Asylum, but you can have too much of a good thing. Specially if you are not actually asking for seconds and the rest of the platter is composed of steaming poo.

Echoing the Bassett begging, btw.

Hex

Banned
Bassett and Bates would be great to return.
Thankfully Lange is out of the way. So now I just need no Sarah Paulson, no Evan Peters, no Jamie Brewer,
I am ok with most others coming back.

Lange out is very good news, but I'm still not failing for their tricks.

Will only check this out after the entire season has aired and the feedback is resoundingly positive. I refuse to be sucked in again, I just won't do it...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Will only check this out after the entire season has aired and the feedback is resoundingly positive. I refuse to be sucked in again, I just won't do it...

I'm pretty much on the same boat. There are way too many good shows to follow to waste my time with another potential misfire.

tumblr_m1w215Y1P61qc1u27o1_500.gif

Regardless, I'm excited for the series to blow up the cast, it'll be so good to turn it over and hopefully start almost fresh.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Good that Lange is out. Amazing actress but, as others have said, too samey each season. Season 1 and 2 though she was AMAZING.

I wonder if it will actually be a horror show instead of a thinly veiled (and poor) attempt to recreate the '90s gay video bar VHS-tape camp aesthetic. "Best Mommie Dearest Scenes" would make a better show at this point.

I'm pretty much on the same boat. There are way too many good shows to follow to waste my time with another potential misfire.

Yup, that new Jason show from CW is sounding pretty good and should scratch that horror itch quite nicely and there's iZombie too.

It's a shame that Siberia was canned, that had potential to be pretty great too.

I think after Freakshow I'm finally burnt out on this series. Even though it was an improvement on Coven, I still clocked out halfway through. I can't think of anything that'll get me to tune in for Hotel.

It'd be a hard sell even if the reviews are positive.

It occurs to me that despite enjoying the first two seasons, I don't really remember what I enjoyed about them.. I sometimes question if the show was ever good, as we were just too mesmerized by a kind of show we've never seen before to realize it at the time.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I lover her but I'm glad shes gone, the show and the rest of the cast needs some time to breathe
No mention of Evan Peters has me hopeful too. I've never really enjoyed him so hopefully he doesnt come back

It'd be a hard sell even if the reviews are positive.

It occurs to me that despite enjoying the first two seasons, I don't really remember what I enjoyed about them.. I sometimes question if the show was ever good, as we were just too mesmerized by a kind of show we've never seen before to realize it at the time.

I think you might onto something as I don't remember why I enjoyed the show either. Definitely feels like one of those shows where you can easily be sucked in by the initial hype and just end up sticking with it, even as it gets progressively worse.

Not that different from LOST or Dexter. You felt you had to watch it to keep up with the conversation about the show and the various developments.

I think you might onto something as I don't remember why I enjoyed the show either. Definitely feels like one of those shows where you can easily be sucked in by the initial hype and just end up sticking with it, even as it gets progressively worse.

Not that different from LOST or Dexter. You felt you had to watch it to keep up with the conversation about the show and the various developments.

I remember I watched the first season because my wife was watching it at the time, and the second season had Cromwell but he didn't last forever...yeah, I think AHS is definitely a "hype" show. Like the only reason I came back for Freakshow after Coven was all the people fawning over it and calling it a return to form. And you know, for the first few episodes they were right, but like all AHS premises it gets quickly run into the ground and out of steam.

So yeah, I'm ready for the inevitable "Hotel is amazing, it's the season to win you back!" comments. Whether they have merit or not I'm simply not willing to invest in another season that's only half-decent.

Imm0rt4l

Saw the first episode of freakshow and I didn't find it all that interesting tbh. Is it at least better than coven? The writing has been abysmal

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Matt Bomer... the only place I remember him from was his small role in "Chuck" (I could never get into "White Collar").

You missed out on seeing him in his tighty whitey's last season of American Horror Story.

Deadbeat

Banned
I saw the first episode of the coven season a long time ago so I finally watched that entire season and I was kind of disappointed. It has all the components to make a great show but it isnt. Something is wrong every step of the way. It doesnt work for me.

Since the show is different every season I dont feel the hook of continuing to watch (thankfully). Its what kept me watching Boardwalk Empire. Im not really interested anymore but I might as well see it to the end. Thats not the problem with this show so im free. I am free of the prison and I aint going back. Considering friends have said the other seasons are hit and miss as well, Im walking away.

antonz

They need more than a new cast., They need a new showrunner and writers. Show has sucked for 2 seasons in a row

Chloe Sevigny Returning to 'American Horror Story' as Series Regular

Ryan Murphy continues to fill out the cast of American Horror Story: Hotel — and spill the beans himself on Twitter.

The executive producer announced Tuesday morning that Chloe Sevigny is the latest to join the fifth iteration of the FX anthology, a return after she briefly appeared for a season two arc. It was a short but memorable turn for Sevigny, who played Shelley the nymphomaniac.

She was one of my favourite character in Season 2. The new cast is shaping up nicely.

I initially misread "Bomer" as "Bonner" and was confused because the rest of the headline didn't seem to have anything do with basketball...

Meesh

Lange made me a believer since season 1, don't know how much I'll enjoy it without her incredible talent.

rude

Banned
The modern day seasons are more palatable then the seasons that take place in the past imo. Murder House and Coven were both really fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom