• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akai Katana |OT| Experience the Other Kind of Hell on May 15th

Depressing. The exposure can't be worth that much to Rising Star/Cave if all IGN is going to do with their review-copies is not even bother to learn how to play.

Ah well. I'll have my copy on Monday.
(Before you ask. Yes I paid for it)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Maybe it's because I used to freelance for a few sites like 1Up a while back, but I really dislike when people hate on a reviewer because they disagree with the score. What I am okay with is people calling out a reviewer for a review that is genuinely shitty and that demonstrates no legitimate attempt to understand the game in question.

Like this:

Developer Cave is top gun of the genre, having delivered classics like Donpachi, Deathsmiles, and Espgaluda over the past two decades. We expect greatness from these guys, which is why their latest effort, Akai Katana, disappoints despite being enjoyable. Nearly 20 years after Donpachi, Akai Katana doesn't give us much new to do or admire.

Alright, it's clear here that the guy knew absolutely nothing about Cave games, so he ventured over to Wikipedia, saw Donpachi was their first game, and said "oh, this'll make it sound like I know what I'm talking about." Except, it doesn't. Nobody cites Donpachi as being important (though it's a solid game), and trying to use Donpachi to demonstrate just how little Cave's games have changed is absurd. It's like saying Halo didn't really do much new that wasn't already in Marathon.

Think Gradius or R-type but with a lot more stuff on your screen, and you've got the basic idea of what Akai Katana is.

No, I don't. If I don't know jack-shit about Cave's games or the bullet-hell genre (which I still wouldn't after that waste of an introduction), why would I understand what "Gradius with a lot more stuff on your screen" even means? At best, one would deduce that it means more bullets. But is that even enough to have a basic understanding of the game? No.

I've played a bunch of Akai Katana, and I enjoy it, but I'm still not exactly sure how it all works.

Okay, I get what he's trying to say - the game's mechanics are kind of confusing and aren't especially well-explained. That's fine. But reviewing a game that you admit you don't even understand? Ya can't spell "ignorance" without...

Ikaruga is cleverer.

There's no reason a game has to out-gimmick Treasure's shmups, unless the developers are trying to appease a reviewer who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sine Mora is more beautiful.

Why, that is a good reason why Sine Mora is a better game!

The chunky vehicles remind me of Donpachi

"See guys? I'm up on those shoot-them-ups all the kids are playing!"

Sine Mora is the better, more exciting, more interesting shooter in every way, and it's a $15 Xbox Live Arcade game.

I'm sorry, are we reviewing Sine Mora here? Maybe we should review why, exactly, you're getting paid to write this dreck.

... right now Akai Katana costs the same as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

What could have been an inexpensive downloadable game is a $40 retail product. Still, it's an enjoyable effort, if not an amazing one.

So... the current low price for a completely unrelated game in a completely unrelated genre is a reason not to buy Akai Katana? What happens if Akai Katana plummets to $10 next week? Is the game an 8.5 then? And why, exactly is an "amazing" effort (your words, not mine) not worth $40, simply because it could have been a downloadable instead?

Isn't a review supposed to be about the game's quality and not about your disappointment that the couponing here is not extreme? I get that price is a relevant concern, but seriously -- keep it to one line instead of making it your damn thesis. If someone reads this review a few years down the road, trying to decide if they should pick the game up, it's even more irrelevant than it is right now.

Graphics: Recent 2D shooter Sine Mora blows Akai Katana away.

Well, if we're talking about graphics, it's 3D, kid.

The point is, this is a horrible review that provides the reader with no real understanding of what the game does well, that makes irrelevant comparisons throughout the entire piece, and that is overly fixated on the frankly not-all-that-important price tag. This is precisely the reason why people criticize games journalism, and they would be entirely justified in this instance.

I should go on these rants more often... it's kinda fun.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Finally found a copy. Called or stopped by half the damn GameStops in my county. I remember having Amazon issues with Deathsmiles, so I thought I'd just walk into my local GS this time and get it right away, but that didn't quite work out as planned lol. Oh well~

I forget why I think Daemon Hatfield is a shitty reviewer, but his recent (IGN) review on this game probably doesn't do him any favors. How is Sine Mora? By his account it is better than AK in every way and AK shouldn't cost as much as Skyrim does now, lol.

"Everyone should just buy Sine Mora instead. AK's worse in every way, even if I couldn't tell you why, since I couldn't figure it out how it works.
iglkF0XN2316o.gif
"

Could be worse...I sent mine to the wrong country by accident. Looks like I won't be playing it till August.

And, does anybody know if the achievements stack with the japanese version?

D'oh T_T

My copy is not here yet but based on the fact my achievements earned on the Japanese version are still in Japanese, I'm going to assume it doesn't stack. The NA and PAL versions probably stack though.

Yes Boss!

D'oh T_T

My copy is not here yet but based on the fact my achievements earned on the Japanese version are still in Japanese, I'm going to assume it doesn't stack. The NA and PAL versions probably stack though.

Was going to wait till August but I've decided to have the mother send it out to me in europe. Saved!

The point is, this is a horrible review that provides the reader with no real understanding of what the game does well, that makes irrelevant comparisons throughout the entire piece, and that is overly fixated on the frankly not-all-that-important price tag. This is precisely the reason why people criticize games journalism, and they would be entirely justified in this instance.

We should review movies the same way we review games.

This is an amazing movie but it's only 90 minutes long, so it should be cheaper.

On the other hand, Micheal Bay's newest movie is 2 and half hours so you should watch that instead and get your money's worth. It also has better CG.

I'll be the first to criticize a lazy or incompetent review such as the IGN one here, but as much as it sucks, his attitude is symptomatic of the gaming public at large. So until Cave (and other niche developers) do what they can to change gamers perceptions, they're going to keep falling by the wayside from lack of sales. As soon as you start blaming the players or customers for walking away from your product in a free market, you're on the losing end of an argument no matter how hard you complain. Look up every MMO in decline for plentiful examples of apologists and people blaming the players.. it never works.

mollipen

Oh crap, people are tearing apart somebody's review for Akai Katana.

*notices it isn't mine*

...oh, okay. Carry on then!

Himself

We should review movies the same way we review games.

This is an amazing movie but it's only 90 minutes long, so it should be cheaper.

On the other hand, Micheal Bay's newest movie is 2 and half hours so you should watch that instead and get your money's worth. It also has better CG.

Haha.

Just got mine from Amazon and can't wait to fire it up. This will be a nice way to break things up while I'm playing Persona 3 for the first time.

Also, bringing up Sine Mora that many times? That's like one of the worst shmups in recent memory. I wonder if he kept bringing it up because marketing told him Sine Mora was "different" and had a strong casual focus with revolutionary gameplay ideas.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
A mainstream review site not bigging up a hardcore niche game? who'd have thunk it?

Himself

There is a super helpful tutorial if you press B on the title screen which the game doesn't tell you about for some reason.

And this booklet smells glorious. Reminds me of opening up Alundra for the first time back in the day.

Ebgames.ca keeps delaying the release date.. should I go with amazon.com or something?

I got an email for mine shipping like an hour and a half ago. Maybe it was just a not-so-atypical Canadian delay. Happens a lot with some more of the niche stuff.

Sucks that I'll miss it over the long weekend. That's my biggest frownyface. :(

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I'll be the first to criticize a lazy or incompetent review such as the IGN one here, but as much as it sucks, his attitude is symptomatic of the gaming public at large. So until Cave (and other niche developers) do what they can to change gamers perceptions, they're going to keep falling by the wayside from lack of sales.

They did do what they could. They ported a bunch of their best shooters to iOS and saw the cash roll in.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Wooo, got my copy today even though Amazon still has my estimate for Monday. Awesome!

Danny Dudekisser

Oh crap, people are tearing apart somebody's review for Akai Katana.

*notices it isn't mine*

...oh, okay. Carry on then!

Nah, Shidoshi -- even if you wrote the worst review ever, I still wouldn't tear it apart, because of WAHP. I can't hate. But FWIW, yours was a good review - you made the effort to understand the game. And that's really all I ask of reviewers.

There is a super helpful tutorial if you press B on the title screen which the game doesn't tell you about for some reason.

Yeah, I just found that yesterday. Really helpful stuff, actually.

mollipen

Nah, Shidoshi -- even if you wrote the worst review ever, I still wouldn't tear it apart, because of WAHP. I can't hate. But FWIW, yours was a good review - you made the effort to understand the game. And that's really all I ask of reviewers.

I do have to say, saying "I still don't understand how to play this game" when writing your review seems like something that maybe you shouldn't be saying. I admitted that I still wasn't an expert at Akai Katana's systems, but that's quite a different thing.

Got my copy of AK in the mail today. I only had enough time for one play through before my bro called me to set up a FFXIV party, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. I didn't quite "get" the Phantom mechanic at first, nor how the steel orbs come into play, so I've been doing just a little bit of reading. Can't wait to really sink my teeth into it tomorrow.

Himself

Got my copy of AK in the mail today. I only had enough time for one play through before my bro called me to set up a FFXIV party, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. I didn't quite "get" the Phantom mechanic at first, nor how the steel orbs come into play, so I've been doing just a little bit of reading. Can't wait to really sink my teeth into it tomorrow.

Press B on the menu screen. A quick tutorial video will tell you all you need to know to understand the mechanics and get started on scoring.

Has anyone been messing with Origin mode? It seems like a simplified version of Slash and may be a good place to start. I only got to try a little bit of each mode last night so I'm not really too sure about what's what yet.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Press B on the menu screen. A quick tutorial video will tell you all you need to know to understand the mechanics and get started on scoring.

The actual manual also does a good job of explaining the mechanics. Don't ignore it!

Has anyone been messing with Origin mode? It seems like a simplified version of Slash and may be a good place to start. I only got to try a little bit of each mode last night so I'm not really too sure about what's what yet.

I played Score Attack exclusively in Origin mode for now. I really like how much you're rewarded if you play risky. But for me, it's just too much you have to pay attention to. I die at the stupidest places just because I was concentrated on something else on the screen. Well, that and I suck at these games anyway (current high score in Origin 9.9 mil).

LiK

I do have to say, saying "I still don't understand how to play this game" when writing your review seems like something that maybe you shouldn't be saying. I admitted that I still wasn't an expert at Akai Katana's systems, but that's quite a different thing.

agreed, he should do a lil research at least. i'm sure there are guides and forums from people who played it. so lazy.

Exactly. If you're saying you don't understand how to play, are you really qualified to talk about the game at length? When a reviewer doesn't understand the game he's playing, how can the reader believe anything else they write within their review?

Himself

Perhaps he wasn't qualified to make any definitive statement on the game, but at least he was honest. Otherwise he really would have been reamed out by the fans because it's clear he's not on the level of your (ab)normal Cave maniac. So, yes it was a shitty review, but at least he admitted his place. I doubt his review will have any significant impact on sales of the game.

Cheddahz

Banned
I really want to get Akai Katana (played the Japanese demo for it and have been a shump fan for quite some time), but it doesn't feel right paying $40 for a shump that will only take me around thirty minutes to beat....

oh well, it'll drop in price really fast

Riposte

I really want to get Akai Katana (played the Japanese demo for it and have been a shump fan for quite some time), but it doesn't feel right paying $40 for a shump that will only take me around thirty minutes to beat....

I suspect Rising Star made a very limited run.

Danny Dudekisser

I suspect Rising Star made a very limited run.

Didn't someone mention that Microsoft had a minimum 50,000 unit order for games? Maybe they've become more lenient on that or something...

Because it really doesn't seem like there are a ton of copies out there, given how they've shipped very few copies to the select few stores they even bothered sending the game to.

Cuz Akai Katana is for hikkikomoris.

meppi

Perhaps he wasn't qualified to make any definitive statement on the game, but at least he was honest. Otherwise he really would have been reamed out by the fans because it's clear he's not on the level of your (ab)normal Cave maniac. So, yes it was a shitty review, but at least he admitted his place. I doubt his review will have any significant impact on sales of the game.

I wouldn't call the guy honest myself.
Especially with the namedropping of Donpachi, which I highly doubt he's even played and only put it in his review, along with a couple other Cave shooters, as well as non-Cave shooters to make the IGN crowd believe that he has even the slightest clue what he's talking about.
Hearing him drop those names is a sad attempt to try and give himself credibility and make his "review" seem informed, when in reality he hasn't got a clue whatsoever.

At least that's how I feel about it. :-/

Just to put it in perspective. Look at it this way: $40 is a steal for a game which is put together in such a way that you, or at least me and many other will be playing this game for the next 10-20 years and probably as long as we can keep playing games. Just like I still love to put in Layer Section or Batsugun and have just as much fun with them as the day they came out on the Saturn. Same can be said for lots of shooters on the MegaDrive and SNES and even the 8-bit systems.

I bought Akai Katana from Amazon for about £20, ordered the game again with the T-shirt from Shopto last week for £29 including shipping and will be getting a new copy of the Japanese version as well. That's how much I'm enjoying it. :)

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Exactly. If you're saying you don't understand how to play, are you really qualified to talk about the game at length? When a reviewer doesn't understand the game he's playing, how can the reader believe anything else they write within their review?

Absofuckinglutely. To quote Tom Chick: "A reviewer doesn’t have to be good at a game, or even particularly invested in the genre. He just have to have enough context to understand it." It's so insanely crucial, and to flippantly admit you don't/can't/don't want to understand is fundamentally foolish.

mollipen

Well, in my review, I admitted that (a) I was coming at the game as somebody who isn't an expert at bullet hell shooters, and (b) that at the end of my time with Akai Katana, I still wasn't an expert with using all of its systems to their full scoring power.

I think that's quite different than saying "I don't understand how this game's systems work". Are they a little complicated, especially if you aren't used to shooters like this? Sure. But in my case, I watched the tutorials and practiced the ideas until I understood them—because that's kind of my job as the reviewer. I didn't perfect them, but I understood them.

It's like the difference between reviewing Street Fighter IV, and saying "I'm still not that good when I go online and fight other people" versus "as of the point of my doing this review, I still have no idea how to perform moves like a dragon punch of fireball".

hongcha

Think about it this way: You don't "beat" it until you clear it without continuing, and that will take you a lot longer than 30 minutes! This game is fantastic and well worth $40.

meppi

Good review indeed.
The only thing I don't quite understand is how he gets so upset over the laser usage.
Haven't had any problems with them myself. All of them have been avoidable, unless you take too long on certain patterns.
Then again, I have only gotten to the beginning of stage 4 so far. So perhaps from there onwards they are used a lot more and in far more difficult patterns?

Himself

You're doing it wrong.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
went to all(!) the video game stores in my city today. no one even knew what akai katana was, much less had it stocked.

Guess I'll be ordering from amazon.co.uk or summat. ;-/

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Can we talk about the art for a brief moment here. Yeah, planes and ships and all that fun stuff is hardly new ground for Cave, but it's so detailed. Plus the backdrops and character portraits, mmm. This game is super pretty.

The only thing I don't quite understand is how he gets so upset over the laser usage.

Yeah, I didn't really feel like they were abused either, but it's a fair review. Bonus points for not mentioning Sine Mora!

vall03

Ive been wondering about this for a while now because of the discussion in this thread. Is Sine Mora really bad or people just think that its good but overrated?

Danny Dudekisser

Ive been wondering about this for a while now because of the discussion in this thread. Is Sine Mora really bad or people just think that its good but overrated?

It's not really bad... a bad game would be Aegis Wing. But Sine Mora definitely struck me as exceedingly mediocre. It wasn't all that fun to begin with, and when you start to get into it, you'll realize that it lacks a lot of polish.

Himself

I really liked Sine Mora. It's slow (in a good way), atmospheric, has beautiful art design and music, interesting bosses, varied mechanics, and I eventually came to enjoy it's brand of shooting. I'd love to see a sequel, even. I think people bug because it's perceived as a shooter for people who don't like shooters, and doesn't have a consistent scoring system. The only reason it's brought up so much in Akai Katana discussions is probably because it's the only other major shooter released so far this year. (Does Super Stardust Delta count?)

At the very least give the demo a go and decide for yourself. Both Sine Mora and Akai Katana will be in my top 10 at the end of the year, for very different reasons.

SOME-MIST

now that I have my US version, I tried to play climax mode in 4:3 but I couldn't find an option. So I played through it anyways and didn't even realize there's an added level from the arcade version. Sorta messed up my run but I got 3rd on the leaderboards for type 2.

If I can't find a 4:3 mode tho, I'll probably just stick to arcade mode.

now that I have my US version, I tried to play climax mode in 4:3 but I couldn't find an option. So I played through it anyways and didn't even realize there's an added level from the arcade version. Sorta messed up my run but I got 3rd on the leaderboards for type 2.

If I can't find a 4:3 mode tho, I'll probably just stick to arcade mode.

Arcade/Origin is the only 4:3 mode, and the only mode that allows a second player.

conman

It depends on what you like about shmups. In my opinion, Sine Mora is a hack attempt at doing a shmup. A good shmup relies on skill and almost always gives you a proper way out of a bad situation. You should always know what you did wrong and be able to improve your game over time. Sine Mora relies too much on chance and luck, and it often puts you in impossible situations that you learn nothing from. Sloppy design IMO. But those without picky tastes in shmups might like it.

Top Bottom