• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alfred Hitchcock: Vertigo is on sale for one more day and I really recommend it

Stafford

I've always been a fan of cool adventure games, especially back in the days when I was still gaming on PC. Luckily consoles have some cool ones too. Such as Vertigo. It's similar to Telltale games, it has a Sherlock vibe to it as well.

The story is really what kept me hooked and I really, really dig being able to play as different characters. Several cool twists that I didn't see coming. It's in the sale for Steam and Xbox, I guess PS too but I don't have one, can't check. Bought it for barely six euros myself. One more day and the sale ends.

This one really surprised me. This studio also made Blacksad and many other games.

Last edited:

Stafford

I picked it up last night for $5. I dont expect it to live up to its name but reviews seem generally favorable.

I've honestly never seen the movie and I will make sure to do that now.

It has 61% on metacritic but I definitely find that way too low. It has me thinking the Tintin game by the same studio might be for me too then. Sadly that one isn't really in the sale, so I'll wait.

I think you're gonna dig this one.

Humdinger

A very long time ago, I took a film class, and Verigo was one of the movies (excuse me, films) we studied. I can't remember much of it now -- something about a woman who suffers from vertigo who also witnesses a murder? Judging by the title, I'm assuming the story is loosely based on it. It's a classic in the film world, so it's probably good story fodder for a videogame.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Looks like it's €3 for the standard edition and €10 for the digital deluxe, at least on Steam. But man, I've been so conflicted about picking this one up since there are so many mixed opinions on it. I hear there are technical issues with the console version, and tbh I'm also not particularly fond of the game's presentation (I'm usually not picky, but the art direction looks unappealing).

I also prefer physical copies for all my games, and the Limited Edition is currently cheap (€15 where I am), so I typically buy it at that price. However, I'm still unsure about this one, even though I'm part of their target audience since I enjoy adventure games...

Anyway, thanks OP for keeping this game rent-free in my mind, since for some reason I keep randomly hearing about this game every 2-3 months. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

91mghmOG88L._SL1500_.jpg

Stafford

Looks like it's €3 for the standard edition and €10 for the digital deluxe, at least on Steam. But man, I've been so conflicted about picking this one up since there are so many mixed opinions on it. I hear there are technical issues with the console version, and tbh I'm also not particularly fond of the game's presentation (I'm usually not picky, but the art direction looks unappealing).

I also prefer physical copies for all my games, and the Limited Edition is currently cheap (€15 where I am), so I typically buy it at that price. However, I'm still unsure about this one, even though I'm part of their target audience since I enjoy adventure games...

Anyway, thanks OP for keeping this game rent-free in my mind, since for some reason I keep randomly hearing about this game every 2-3 months. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

91mghmOG88L._SL1500_.jpg

Personally I had one crash back to dashboard on Xbox, I can live with that. No other issues.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So is this just a game adaptation of the movie?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
This is the strangest game title... how does it relate in any meaningful way to the film or the themes of the film?? It looks to me like the creators don't have a clue what Vertigo was about, unless the trailer doesn't do this game justice.

ShadowNate

It's not an adaptation of the film. I haven't played it through -- although I own it and I have played at least the first half an hour or so of it. Maybe a bit more.

It wasn't all bad... But it did leave an early bad taste with the button prompts right off the gate. And then I left it and didn't pick it up again. Perhaps soon I'll give it another shot.

Stafford

So is this just a game adaptation of the movie?

This is the strangest game title... how does it relate in any meaningful way to the film or the themes of the film?? It looks to me like the creators don't have a clue what Vertigo was about, unless the trailer doesn't do this game justice.

I haven't seen the movie yet myself, but read a brief description and nah, the game tells a different story.

It's not an adaptation of the film. I haven't played it through -- although I own it and I have played at least the first half an hour or so of it. Maybe a bit more.

It wasn't all bad... But it did leave an early bad taste with the button prompts right off the gate. And then I left it and didn't pick it up again. Perhaps soon I'll give it another shot.

Yep, definitely continue with it. The button prompts will continue but not constantly and you get to walk around and examine shit too. I wish Telltale games had more of that. I love their games but that's my main criticism, let me do some shit too, lol.

Top Bottom