• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anything someone can tell me about the AI routine for the Alien? Like how it decides to come out of the vents and what triggers that?

In addition to what's already been posted, the key thing to remember is that *listening* for the Alien is key. You can usually hear him drop down from the vents, meaning he's walking around with you.

When you're hiding, listen for the sound of the Alien jumping back in the vents. That's your cue to exit and start moving. But be warned, the Alien coming down from the vents is often random. He might be back down with you right away. There's no way of predicting this, so just make the best of the situation when he jumps into the vents and *move*.

EGM1966

So I mostly want to just enjoy the atmosphere and story (as an Alien fan). Should I play on easy or normal? I hear the alien's AI is really frustrating on the normal difficulty, and I'm always really bad at FPS and stealth games.
Sounds like an easy choice to me...

Or start on normal and bump it down the second you feel it's not for you as you can change difficulty at any time I believe.

The
Flamethrower
has been terrible for my play-style. Rather than just avoiding the Alien like before now I tend to charge at it, scare it off into the vents only to have it show up 10 seconds later. Rinse and repeat until I'm out of
fuel
and cornered.

What's the point of the
flamethrower
if the Alien comes back so quickly with a lock on you? Seems like a death-wish so far.

bitoriginal

Managed to reach the end of chapter 13 last night, I'm going to try and get it done tonight, but this isn't a game that you rush through. I'm not one to throw this out there but I've gotta say, this game is definitely GOTY material for me. The experience of exploring Sevestapol is second to none.

Slightly OT; I was thinking about picking up the Evil Within this weekend, for those of you that have played both, does it hold a candle to Alien?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to reach the end of chapter 13 last night, I'm going to try and get it done tonight, but this isn't a game that you rush through. I'm not one to throw this out there but I've gotta say, this game is definitely GOTY material for me. The experience of exploring Sevestapol is second to none.

Slightly OT; I was thinking about picking up the Evil Within this weekend, for those of you that have played both, does it hold a candle to Alien?
TEW is a very, very different game. It's really an apples and oranges situation. Liking Alien isn't enough information to use to inform a recommendation, here.

For my money, if you've ever enjoyed a Japanese horror game, TEW is worth your time.

Birathen

I hate horror games but I like Alien franchise. Should I give this game a shot?

If you, like me hate them coz they are too scary and tense try it. Start up with the survival mode(or what it is called) befor the story and let the alien kill you a few times. Helped me take some of The edge off. Its still tense as fuck and scary but playable and very enjoyable. :3

Mohonky

Man thank god for the flame thrower, it turns imsta death into a fighting chance.

Still pissed off with the save system, just too much trial and error with worker joes and humans causing me to get really pissed off at going 10-20min without having a chance to save. Going back to all the terminal station, going over all the documents and opening items and shit. Just fix the goddamn save system so I dont have to repeat some tedius shit over and over again.

Also, how the hell are tou supposed to pick friend from foe. I got a game over for knocking a civilian over the back of the head, considering every person till then tried to shoot me, I figured I wasnt taking the chance. Worker Joes are the same, I was avoiding two of them like for ages, than I got caught out but they didnt do anything, just kept on with their business. I was like huh? I get red eyes = on kill alert but some have blue / clear then go red on sighting you.

What don't you like about horror games (to help inform the recommendation)?

I dunno. Jump scare I guess? Or maybe I'm not ballsy enough to play horror games. I do appreciate atmospheric horror games though (TLoU might be the good example).

Oh! I couldn't play Amnesia at all.

If you, like me hate them coz they are too scary and tense try it. Start up with the survival mode(or what it is called) befor the story and let the alien kill you a few times. Helped me take some of The edge off. Its still tense as fuck and scary but playable and very enjoyable. :3

The good thing about this game is that we all already knew what the xenomorph look like, so maybe it's not that bad. It's not like we're being hunted by something that we can't even see.

I finally had a chance to spend a good chunk of time with this again, and (mid game spoilers)
am now dodging hazmat wearing synthetics in APOLLO's server rooms. Is it better to just try and destroy these guys, or should I focus on avoiding them?

Nemic77

I finally had a chance to spend a good chunk of time with this again, and (mid game spoilers)
am now dodging hazmat wearing synthetics in APOLLO's server rooms. Is it better to just try and destroy these guys, or should I focus on avoiding them?

Avoid. Although...
In one of the rooms you can trigger some elctricity at the terminal which will take out any synthetics who are on the water.

ezekial45

Banned

Avoid them. They can take much more damage than the regular Working Joes and they're immune to EMP and the stun baton (after the first shock). However, in one of the server rooms (the blue one), you can electrify the floor and kill the Hazmat Joes in the room with you.

Very early on in the game my brain equated the Working Joes to the zombies from Resident Evil 1 & 2.

I didn't fuck with 'em unless I had to.

Is there a soundtrack for this yet? I know most of it is just re-orchestrated versions of Goldsmith's music (with some of Goldenthal's score from Alien 3 in there as well) but I really would like to give it a run through the headphones while I'm at work.

This is the only thing I can find online:

http://youtu.be/sEXMFRkdjrE

Cudder

Beat the game last night on hard, thought it was great. I'm gonna take a few days before I dive into The Evil Within. I might try to platinum this game, already at 70%.

Slightly late to the party but whoever gave rated this game 5.9 should be ashamed of themselves. It's the old school, non-linear, non hand holding, survival horror game I've been waiting years for.

HelloMeow

Avoid them. They can take much more damage than the regular Working Joes and they're immune to EMP and the stun baton (after the first shock). However, in one of the server rooms (the blue one), you can electrify the floor and kill the Hazmat Joes in the room with you.

One nailgun shot to the head kills them. On my first playthrough I had plenty of nails and I could kill most of them.

Each side has a trap for them. One has electrified floors and the other had.. a sprinkler system I think? Use it to your advantage. And as stated above, once you get the bolt gun it's just a single headshot.

ElTopo

Banned
Very early on in the game my brain equated the Working Joes to the zombies from Resident Evil 1 & 2.

I didn't fuck with 'em unless I had to.

Is there a soundtrack for this yet? I know most of it is just re-orchestrated versions of Goldsmith's music (with some of Goldenthal's score from Alien 3 in there as well) but I really would like to give it a run through the headphones while I'm at work.

This is the only thing I can find online:

http://youtu.be/sEXMFRkdjrE

I'd love a soundtrack release of this.

Catdaddy

does the 400mb patch fix the Cut Scene judder?

Was there a patch?

I just got one of the PS Gold headsets and decided to start a new game (so I wouldn't write over my current progress it's on my 2nd PSN account, thanks to the one account = one game BS) and noticed that the opening cut scenes didn't have any noticeable stutter.

commedieu

Banned
Was there a patch?

I just got one of the PS Gold headsets and decided to start a new game (so I wouldn't write over my current progress it's on my 2nd PSN account, thanks to the one account = one game BS) and noticed that the opening cut scenes didn't have any noticeable stutter.

did you notice stutter before..? Yeah theres def a patch I just downloaded (NO PS+ so i was prompted, and it didn't auto download or anything)

about to try now. will report for ps3 folks.

I JUST got the game yesterday though, so this might have been a normal patch all you guys got earlier..? Maybe..?

Update:

It was the 400mb DAY 1 patch.

Nevermind.

Catdaddy

did you notice stutter before..? Yeah theres def a patch I just downloaded (NO PS+ so i was prompted, and it didn't auto download or anything)

about to try now. will report for ps3 folks.

I JUST got the game yesterday though, so this might have been a normal patch all you guys got earlier..? Maybe..?

Update:

It was the 400mb DAY 1 patch.

Nevermind.

I did notice stuttering the 1st time I played... maybe it's one of those sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't things.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno. Jump scare I guess? Or maybe I'm not ballsy enough to play horror games. I do appreciate atmospheric horror games though (TLoU might be the good example).

The good thing about this game is that we all already knew what the xenomorph look like, so maybe it's not that bad. It's not like we're being hunted by something that we can't even see.
If you couldn't make it through Amnesia, you *may* want to avoid this game or rent it first if possible.

As someone who also couldn't get far in Amnesia, Isolation is such a love letter to the first Alien film that I get enough out of that to keep playing.

Actually, I'm kind of interested in trying some of the FPS horror games I had dismissed before because of how much I am enjoying Alien. It may end up being a gateway to these kinds of games for me.

Guys I can't do this. Playing on hard just makes me nervous. I put the game in medium and now it seems the alien actually gives me some breathing room. But I still want a challenge...or is normal mode unfortunately brain dead easy?

ElTopo

Banned
I'm going to play it on Hard tonight and try to beat it for the 2nd time over the weekend. I heard that on Hard that the Alien will attack the Working Joe's so it might make it slightly easier for me (had at least 2-3 cheap kills when I had to deal with both).

Personal GOTY for me. just beat chapter 12. The game really knows how to keep you on edge, the pacing is excellent just when you get comfortable with a breather the action picks up. I played on hard so I;m getting the game as it was meant to be played , sure I died a few times but I didn't mind because the game is exhilarating to play.
No game since Bioshock comes close in atmosphere.

Guys I can't do this. Playing on hard just makes me nervous. I put the game in medium and now it seems the alien actually gives me some breathing room. But I still want a challenge...or is normal mode unfortunately brain dead easy?

Dude go back to hard. The alien A.I needs to be played on hard. This game is all about eluding the alien/androids and humans.

Just put in 2ish hours and holy crap this game is so atmospheric. Gonna be putting a lot of time into this one.

Started on medium, should I have started on hard?

OneLifeCycle

Neo Member

Absolutely! You sound just like me. No way will I play a horror game but this is different. I don't like the overt "evil" appearance of a lot of those. It just doesn't appeal to me. This however, is completely different and it's awesome.

Superflat

I can start to see where some of the "overstays its welcome" sentiments start to come from.

[mid-game spoilers for mission 9 and beyond]
Mission 10 was incredibly intense and beautiful, making the escape from the Alien feel desperate. There's a brief moment of relief that you're far away from the Alien (presumably killing it), but then is immediately followed up with "the androids are even angrier and now just patrol around to hunt humans!", putting you up against some of the least interesting enemy types that are now more numerous and harder to avoid. It just felt like a "wait, there's more!" before they had a real chance to build up tension again, which made me feel like I was playing through filler material for the first time in my playthrough. That's just my immediate impression so far coming off of the adrenaline from Mission 10. I know there's a lot left to go, so hopefully I can get that nagging feeling out of my system soon.

It still strongly stands as one of the best games I've played this year.

What freaks me out are the supernatural jump-scare laden games that try to get you with horrifying imagery. That stuff keeps me from playing a lot of horror games (couldn't finish Amnesia), but Alien Isolation is terrifying in a much more pure way. You're in a (mostly) immaculately clean sci-fi environment and the creature is a known quantity. It's a very tense game that I would say lies in the horror genre, but is much more of a intense survival game than one meant to disturb you.

Drewfonse

If you couldn't make it through Amnesia, you *may* want to avoid this game or run the risk of having a heart attack.

Fixed.

I've only played 2-3 hrs of this, but holy shit at the atmosphere and sound design, Begs to be played with a good sound system or headphones. Very impressive so far.

Drewfonse

I can start to see where some of the "overstays its welcome" sentiments start to come from.

[mid-game spoilers for mission 9 and beyond]
Mission 10 was incredibly intense and beautiful, making the escape from the Alien feel desperate. There's a brief moment of relief that you're far away from the Alien (presumably killing it), but then is immediately followed up with "the androids are even angrier and now just patrol around to hunt humans!", putting you up against some of the least interesting enemy types that are now more numerous and harder to avoid. It just felt like a "wait, there's more!" before they had a real chance to build up tension again, which made me feel like I was playing through filler material for the first time in my playthrough. That's just my immediate impression so far coming off of the adrenaline from Mission 10. I know there's a lot left to go, so hopefully I can get that nagging feeling out of my system soon.

It still strongly stands as one of the best games I've played this year.

What freaks me out are the supernatural jump-scare laden games that try to get you with horrifying imagery. That stuff keeps me from playing a lot of horror games (couldn't finish Amnesia), but Alien Isolation is terrifying in a much more pure way. You're in a (mostly) immaculately clean sci-fi environment and the creature is a known quantity. It's a very tense game that I would say lies in the horror genre, but is much more of a intense survival game than one meant to disturb you.

I'm having a little of that feel with The Evil Within right now. It's OK. It wants so badly to be horrifying, it's almost comical. It really isn't scary at all. Now Alien? With headphones? Get the fuck out of here....

Thriller

And we are done here! I finished it and damn I loved the ride. I already have the evil within but I played it for a couple of minutes and threw Alien back into the PS4 because it just so much fun.

The only downside I have with this game is that there were too many generators and switches, they could have come up with some different puzzles or something but hey, it's still an amazing game.

Seanspeed

Banned
Finished the medical bay level without resorting to dropping the difficulty to Medium.

Phew!

All rainbows and lollipops from here, right guys?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the medical bay level without resorting to dropping the difficulty to Medium.

Phew!

All rainbows and lollipops from here, right guys?
Define "finished the medical bay level"? :p

Finally completed the Survivor mode map, only to be greeted by bullshit times and scores on the leaderboard. -_-
Really hate that about PC gaming.

Also, only top 10 scores are counted? errr

Still pretty fun. It was the first time I didn't use my headset though, which made things a LOT more difficult. I couldn't pinpoint where the alien was banging around so I got snatched from the vents at least 3 times lol

Top Bottom