• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

I really didn't think the medical bay was that bad. That was such an awesome level IMO.

I made it harder on myself by hiding in lockers/carts too much, and rarely using items to distract the alien.

Knowing what I know now (as of chapter 12/13), I'd approach Medical much differently.

Protein

Banned
God dammit. I went into a locker and the alien was nowhere to be seen. All of a sudden he walks into the room like 30 seconds later and doesn't even give me a chance to hold my breath before he tears it down. What the fuck? How?

God dammit. I went into a locker and the alien was nowhere to be seen. All of a sudden he walks into the room like 30 seconds later and doesn't even give me a chance to hold my breath before he tears it down. What the fuck? How?

The lockers are a death trap. Avoid them at all cost, they are Alien magnets.

Just got a PS4 and this is my first game (aside from P.T.). Quick questions, is it supposed to be that choppy (framerate) during the beginning cutscene? And is the android supposed to have an invisible device when you first encounter him in game?

CyReN

Starting chapter 9 now, did I read wrong or something awhile back but is there
really no alien past level 10 or so?

Chalk it up to a weird glitch probably, I always just hold the hold breath option anytime he walks in front of my locker
The lockers are a death trap. Avoid them at all cost, they are Alien magnets.
Not necessarily true. They don't make noise that attracts it and you can still use the tracker inside of them so you know where the Alien is. And they're better than hiding under a stretcher or something

Liamc723

Holy shit, I just completed chapter 6 and wow, that was easily the best level so far. So intense and amazing, I am loving this game!

Did you have the tracker up?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
really tired of hearing comments that say "don't ever run, ever"

I beat this on Hard and ran all the time.. if the Alien isn't near you then go ahead and run.. if you distract the alien then run while he is distracted (protip: running causes you to increase velocity which will further the distance between you and the alien faster than crouch walking)
I'm playing on hard and I think this is awful advice. I distracted the Alien with a noisemaker and it still abandoned it immediately when I ran past.

LQX

I keep playing this game and cant seem to get to the end. Steam shows 30 hours, holy shit it is long but I'm still loving it. First game to genuinely scare the piss out of me. I pity anyone not playing this with some good headphones or surround sound set up though as the sound makes this game. Overall there are some bad aspects like the amount of fucking doors you have to open, levers you have to pull and nothing worthwhile in any container but none of that takes away from how good it is. I love it.

You have to REALLY pick your spots as to when you're going to sprint. Throughout the whole game there were maybe 4 times that I sprinted in a situation where there were enemies nearby and I got away with it - maybe I wasn't killed instantly for it, but there were only 4 times I can think of that sprinting didn't make a situation WORSE.

You can sprint, yeah, but you've really gotta pick your spots.

I'm playing on hard and I think this is awful advice. I distracted the Alien with a noisemaker and it still abandoned it immediately when I ran past.
The only time I think it's ok to run with the Alien in the vicinity is when there are alarms going off and such.
Like the nest and afterwards. Also the end of Last Survivor DLC.
Otherwise, you're begging to be gored by an Alien tail.

LQX

Just completed the game.....that....that...ending. I'm usually not turned off by abrupt endings but what the fuck. For as much hours I put in opening all those useless containers and doors I expected a bit more. Rather than that mundane shit they should have worked on a longer more fulfilling ending. It just screams "see the real ending in the season pass and not the $60 game you bought, fuck you". I seriously restarted my last save to do it over as I thought I did something wrong to get the bad ending. I enjoyed my time with it immensely but what let down. I you cant do crap like this man.

Nemesis_

mmhmm. Finished the game three times and got all the achievements. I think that is the worst advice. Running is the absolute worst thing you could do except for when the Alien is distracted with a big group of enemies, because the AI will hone in on those enemies rather than you.

Basically a noisemaker makes 1 unit of noise whereas you running will make 3. The Alien's AI is clearly designed to hone in on the loudest.

In the video I posted before I think I showed pretty well how the noisemakers can be used. You can get very close to him while he's inspecting one just as long as you're not running you should be fine. Even on hard

Just completed the game.....that....that...ending. I'm usually not turned off by abrupt endings but what the fuck. For as much hours I put in opening all those useless containers and doors I expected a bit more. Rather than that mundane shit they should have worked on a longer more fulfilling ending. It just screams "see the real ending in the season pass and not the $60 game you bought, fuck you". I seriously restarted my last save to do it over as I thought I did something wrong to get the bad ending. I enjoyed my time with it immensely but what let down. I you cant do crap like this man.

They've already confirmed the season pass is only survivor maps

Maybe the conversation is better carried over in the spoiler thread, but - what were you expecting so far as the end to a game patterned after ALIEN? I didn't think there was anything particularly egregious about the ending to this game, and I certainly didn't get the sense there was a "real ending" coming via DLC.

I mean, what would that ending even be?

OK, mid/late (?) spoilers, help request:

I'm in the reactor. Aliens are everywhere. Facehuggers. What's the best approach to this chapter?

OK, mid/late (?) spoilers, help request:

I'm in the reactor. Aliens are everywhere. Facehuggers. What's the best approach to this chapter?

Check your map. Equip your flamethrower. Don't get lost.

and when you complete all your objectives? This is one of the few times you can bail the fuck out at full speed once you get within sight of the door. At least I did. I figured it was worth a shot, considering how close to the exit the save station is.

Ozium

1. how long had it been distracted?
2. how often have you used them.
3. you can't sprint right next to the alien obviously but you can walk out into a corridor and then run.
4. if you aren't watching where you are running you may knock things over which causes a lot of noise

there are many variables in play with this game... my point is to run or not depending on the situation but to have a blanket statement like "never do this" is counterproductive and only limits the many options needed for survival

3. you can't sprint right next to the alien obviously but you can walk out into a corridor and then run.
4. if you aren't watching where you are running you may knock things over which causes a lot of noise

there are many variables in play with this game... my point is to run or not depending on the situation but to have a blanket statement like "never do this" is counterproductive and only limits the many options needed for survival

I can't remember a single situation (after mission 5) where running has been usefull. In this game there's no button that end a stage, every elevator or shuttle need so much time to start that are not suitable for a fast escape. So yes, you can run, but for where?

Ozium

I can't remember a single situation (after mission 5) where running has been usefull. In this game there's no button that end a stage, every elevator or shuttle need so much time to start that are not suitable for a fast escape. So yes, you can run, but for where?

Away.

Don't take "it's ok to run at times, saying to never run is wrong" as "run all the time and when you start running don't stop"

Let's say the Alien is lurking around, and there are humans.. Throw something at the humans and when the Alien attacks them RUN AWAY.. don't walk away, don't crouch walk... why would you slow yourself down when you have a moment to get away fast and then at a proper time slow down... the less time it takes you to get to your objective/the next save point = the less time you are likely to get murdered. it's simple

If there are humans you can throw a flashbang and run like hell and not take any damage but the "never run" philosophy renders this easy tactic unavailable

Not necessarily true. They don't make noise that attracts it and you can still use the tracker inside of them so you know where the Alien is. And they're better than hiding under a stretcher or something

I dunno man, I agree with the bold. But in the trial-by-fire medical facility I found that hiding in a locker magnetized the Alien to within about 10-20 yards of where you were. When he was at the furthest part of his patrol, he'd be halfway back by the time the "exit locker" animation finished. So I'd jump in again, but he'd just keep coming back until he got me one way or another. I'm on chapter 14 now and the only strategy that has worked in those situations is to die by trial and error until you know exactly where to go, then beeline it in a crouchwalk once you have the pathway figured out.

Having said that, the Medical section is the only one so far where I had a lot of trouble and died a million times. To this point, for me that's been the only one where he was clomping around in a random pattern at all times and never peaced out into a vent.

MNC

You can hold your breath?

Anyway, just about any time I'm in a locker and don't have the motion tracker up, I survived. They're actual feasible hiding spots.

Bumhead

Banned
I've not had too many problems with lockers, although I also wouldn't say I've used them too many times either. I've just reached Chapter 16, and if I was to guess I'd say I've hidden in lockers maybe 9 or 10 times? Can only remember being busted out of them 3 times (twice by Synthetics and once by the Alien).

If I could change any one thing about this game, I'd remove objective markers from the map and force use of the motion tracker. I really, really love the risk reward factor of using the motion tracker, but find myself subconciously pressing the touch pad to check for the objective locations. I wish I didn't have the option.

Lettuce

Uh spoiler tags?

Also the Season Pass has 0 story content. It's just more Survivor Mode maps.

Well if that's the case each DLC better include at least 3 maps, otherwise they can fuck right off if there only releasing 1 map per DLC at the price there asking

Don't take "it's ok to run at times, saying to never run is wrong" as "run all the time and when you start running don't stop"

This is also useful when you have used the incinerator on the Alien and it runs away like a coward, then you have about a 10 second window where your able to sprint away.

Also does anyone else fine the 'zone' in which you can interact with stuff yo be too small, loads of times I've been trying to push a button to open a door or pick up an item and have to mess about with looking right at the item/button to get the prompt to pop up....which usually ends up with me getting a tail through my chest

bitoriginal

Away.

Let's say the Alien is lurking around, and there are humans.. Throw something at the humans and when the Alien attacks them RUN AWAY.. don't walk away, don't crouch walk... why would you slow yourself down when you have a moment to get away fast and then at a proper time slow down... the less time it takes you to get to your objective/the next save point = the less time you are likely to get murdered. it's simple

If there are humans you can throw a flashbang and run like hell and not take any damage but the "never run" philosophy renders this easy tactic unavailable

Pretty sure you're trolling at this point. When the Alien is killing other humans is literally the one time you'll maybe get away with running, but is it worth the risk? Clearly you don't crouch walk through the whole game, but if the Alien is in the vicinity, you don't run, it's that simple.

Pakoe

You can hold your breath?

Anyway, just about any time I'm in a locker and don't have the motion tracker up, I survived. They're actual feasible hiding spots.

When the alien looks into the locker you have the option to hold your breath, unfortunately the button indicator is only seen for 1 millisecond and then the alien strikes.

So I am in Dubai and I would like to pick this up on Steam. Is it a bad idea to attempt this with an American Steam account?

Edit:

Nevermind. I went through GMG to purchase the game.

Well if that's the case each DLC better include at least 3 maps, otherwise they can fuck right off if there only releasing 1 map per DLC at the price there asking
According to this http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/09/17/alien-isolation-survivor-mode-season-pass-detailed/ , there are 5 map packs with 3 maps each.
Are these new Maps or reused from the game?
The Basement (the map included w the game) isn't a location in the main game, so I would assume the maps will be new.

Ozium

Pretty sure you're trolling at this point. When the Alien is killing other humans is literally the one time you'll maybe get away with running, but is it worth the risk? Clearly you don't crouch walk through the whole game, but if the Alien is in the vicinity, you don't run, it's that simple.

Pretty sure you just suck at the game if all you can do is resort to calling me a troll because you can't run effectively.

Pretty sure you just suck at the game if all you can do is resort to calling me a troll because you can't run effectively.
Literally everyone in the thread disagrees with you. I don't think you're a troll but I think something is amiss. Like maybe your Alien AI was bugged or something, I really don't know.

So the Last Survivor DLC seemed sort of paltry.

I never even encountered the alien. Just saw him in the distance down a hallway once or twice.

Pakoe

Literally everyone in the thread disagrees with you. I don't think you're a troll but I think something is amiss. Like maybe your Alien AI was bugged or something, I really don't know.

I agree with him, i used the same tactics a few times and got away with it (with my heart rate up 200%).

kinggroin

Banned

Learn the definition of literally.

Running, when used properly, can really help get you to a safe checkpoint.

I agree with him, i used the same tactics a few times and got away with it (with my heart rate up 200%).
I mentioned in an earlier post its fine to run in those very few situations when alarms are going off because they'll obviously drown out the sounds of your steps, but the distraction technique he mentioned simply isn't ideal for the majority of those that responded to him. If you run for more than 10 seconds, then the Alien will be on your ass.
Again, it's best to simply walk away when it's distracted/not looking your way. Heart rate will be at normal levels, and the Alien won't investigate your steps because you're not making any noise. There's no reason for the undue attention that comes with sprinting.

Running, when used properly, can really help get you to a safe checkpoint.
Again, there are absolutely moments you can run to great effect, but in most situations you're just letting the Alien on to your general location, rather than walking away quietely and earning respite from the Alien.
Furthermore, the end point for like 2/3 of the levels is a tram that you have to wait for. What advantage is there in luring the Alien to the tram station when you can simply walk away silently and read a magazine while you wait for the tram?
You know that gif of someone getting attacked by the Alien inside the tram? That never even got close to happening to me, because I never lured the Alien into the tram station. All thanks to walking > sprinting.

But I digress, if you guys insist it works then fine. But I'm 100% certain that walking is the best way of dealing with the Alien in most situations, because it doesn't attract any attention whatsoever. Just keep line of sight in mind and use surround headphones.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I haven't played this game very much (I am in the depraved depths of a Dota 2 addiction atm) but my enjoyment is a bit of a roller coaster when I play it. Sometimes the 'unpredictability' of the Alien AI makes for some awesome encounters (and managing to run away from it and actually hide is one of the most exhilarating feelings in recent gaming memory) but other times it just feels arbitrary, and as such, a little annoying.

1) It was in the medical area. The alien climbed out of the vent in the room with the keycard door. I was hiding around the corner where the fire bursts out of the wall. I watched it come out and turn right, moving away from me. I threw a noisemaker into the room, and the Alien went in and was searching for it. I sprinted past the room and it immediately stopped paying attention to it and tail'd me.

2) Maybe twice total, I find the throwing controls are often quite annoying, and half the time whatever I'm throwing will get caught on a doorway and land two feet away from me.

3) Well I mean, I've sprinted a few times when I'm sure the alien isn't close by and it's been fine, so I'm not sure how much of this is just because the alien is a long way away.

4) The corridor was empty.

And finished. I literally don't see where the claims of "the game is too long" are coming from. I did the whole thing in half a weekend, and I certainly didn't think the save points were too far apart. They're certainly much more numerous than the Resident Evil games of old.

Aside from a heavily scripted final level and a cliffhanger ending for the sake of a cliffhanger ending, highly enjoyable.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well today it became clear without a shadow of a doubt that the Alien teleports. At least while in the vents. Had probably my most bullshitty death yet. The alien was on my radar at a distance in another room. Turned around and about a second later it came down and landed directly in front of me. I was crouching and making no noise as well so I didn't even attract it. It just spawned right in front of me for no reason even though a second before that it was clearly in the other room. No way it could have closed that distance that quickly and even if it could there was no reason for it to drop where I was anyway. This game really feels unfair sometimes.

kinggroin

Banned
And finished. I literally don't see where the claims of "the game is too long" are coming from. I did the whole thing in half a weekend, and I certainly didn't think the save points were too far apart. They're certainly much more numerous than the Resident Evil games of old.

Aside from a heavily scripted final level and a cliffhanger ending for the sake of a cliffhanger ending, highly enjoyable.

Again with the "literally".

Some gamers have other events and such happening in their lives that take time away from Alien Isolation marathon runs.

When you only play, say, an hour or so of the game every weekend, 15-20 hours seems daunting

Finished it very early this morning while it was still dark spooky outside.

Great game. Did get a bit repetitive and less tense as I went through it, but by no means overstayed its welcome. I think the story and game in general serve as a masterful third pillar to Alien and Aliens. I really hope they make a sequel that builds and improves upon what they did here. Throw your money at them if you haven't already.

Some gamers have other events and such happening in their lives that take time away from Alien Isolation marathon runs.

When you only play, say, an hour or so of the game every weekend, 15-20 hours seems daunting

You know, I wish I had the time to make as many marathon runs as I used to as well, because that wasn't really the case this weekend either. I'm not going to say the game was short by any means, but it didn't feel much longer than your average eight hour romp.

Top Bottom