• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Lettuce

I know that it's reeeeeally early for this discussion, but fuck it. What do you guys see as being the most likely outcome for a sequel or what the team does next? I'm going to run down a list of potential:

- Carry on as is, with horror but go for a unique setting. Something new that hasn't been done before in Alien mythos. Further adventures of Amanda.

- Do the ultimate Aliens adaptation. Embrace action and do what Colonial Marines didn't.

- Do a follow-up to Aliens if Newt and Hicks had lived, alternate timeline to Alien3. The thinking is that Isolation is a follow-up to Alien, so the sequel could follow up on Aliens!

- Online multi, let someone be the alien.

- Bring in Prometheus stuff. Hunted by an Engineer, a proto-alien and a trilobite? Maybe play as Shaw.

- Play as the alien in the campaign, AVP2 style.

- AVP, which honestly doesn't have to be a bad thing as great games have happened with the concept.

- Fuck it, just give me a Blade Runner game.

A squad based Predator game, where you play Dutch, Dillon, Mac, and Anna. You have control over all of them and switch on the fly when danger approaches either of the characters, much like the old 8 Bit Computer Aliens game and Resident Evil 0

ElTopo

Banned
edit: I guess you can die, brutal game :)

It's still not Dark Souls or NES Hard. There's numerous save points, you can even save when an Alien is kinda' near and even if you die right afterwards once you load that save the Alien will not be near you. It might spawn once a little later or the closer you get to the exit though.

Finished @ 17 hours on Hard. Feels so... so good. Most stressful gaming experience ever. The way it should be.

I love hard games, love the 8 and 16 bit era's, love Dark Souls, Bioshock 1 on hard is the only way to play it, but Normal for Alien Isolation was enough for me.

It's been pretty random for me. I spend nearly the entire game in crouch and there's been times where the alien never comes out of the vents, even though I can hear him directly above me. Then there's times when it comes out of the vents for no reason and stays out despite me being extremely quiet.

He also seems to have different behavior based on the level itself. Some parts like halfway through he's constantly on the ground while others he sticks to the vents unless you run around. Pretty sure that's intentional.

I'm about 5-7 hours in, and i'm already a bit underwhelmed by the game. Don't get me wrong, the game is pretty good (especially in relevant terms to other alien games), but i feel that i don't actually fear the alien so much. Instead, i fear dying before the next save game and having to replay 30 minutes of gameplay - which has happened several times already. IMO, the game should have a check pointing system.

Each time i am expected to replay 30 minutes or more of gameplay just because the alien was hiding in a vent above me and not moving, i end up turning the game off out of frustration and coming back after several hours.

Amnesia did a much better job of making me afraid of the monsters, and not the gameplay mechanics.

strafer

Got buried on the past page.

Do Xenomorphs have any vision modes at all? I remember in the first AvP you could change to see better, but it could also be so you could see better in the dark.

Yep, you can be killed at terminals. Happened to me twice.

Damn!!!
This game is unforgiving! T-t-thanks for t-the info.

x3n05

Didn't know you could read all the messages from the safety of the pause menu (never really looked into it if not for the map). Kinda breaks the immersion and the fear of getting killed, but there are times my nerves are almost shorting out and this will help... I think hehe

Krejlooc

Banned
He also seems to have different behavior based on the level itself. Some parts like halfway through he's constantly on the ground while others he sticks to the vents unless you run around. Pretty sure that's intentional.

It definitely is. Man the parts when he's in the vents are so brutal, lol.

It definitely is. Man the parts when he's in the vents are so brutal, lol.

He can come out of the vents in most areas, though, if provoked. There was a section where a group of like 5-6 humans were in a room, so i just fired a single shot into the room and let them all fire back at me while i hid behind cover. The alien ended up coming out the vent, and killed all of the humans (because they were drawing his attention by shooting at me). I stayed hidden, and he eventually returned to the vents.

I had cleared an entire area of humans and was no longer required to hide from them in the dark.

ElTopo

Banned
I'm about 5-7 hours in, and i'm already a bit underwhelmed by the game. Don't get me wrong, the game is pretty good (especially in relevant terms to other alien games), but i feel that i don't actually fear the alien so much. Instead, i fear dying before the next save game and having to replay 30 minutes of gameplay - which has happened several times already. IMO, the game should have a check pointing system.

Each time i am expected to replay 30 minutes or more of gameplay just because the alien was hiding in a vent above me and not moving, i end up turning the game off out of frustration and coming back after several hours.

Amnesia did a much better job of making me afraid of the monsters, and not the gameplay mechanics.

Then you must be missing a lot of save points dude. The most I've had to replay is maybe 5 minutes of gameplay. When you're running around activating shit, you do know that you can save at the same save station, right? It just takes a few minutes.

Bor

Neo Member
Anyone with low specs playing this game? How's your performance?

stock 2500k, hd 6870, playing with fxaa, everything on high at 1600 x 900. Performance is absolutely flawless and the game still looks fantastic!

I finished it last night, and man this is the perfect alien game. It hat everything i hoped for. I have no clue how ign could give this a 5.9 wtf, for me this is goty material

ElTopo

Banned
stock 2500k, hd 6870, playing with fxaa, everything on high at 1600 x 900. Performance is absolutely flawless and the game still looks fantastic!

I finished it last night, and man this is the perfect alien game. It hat everything i hoped for. I have no clue how ign could give this a 5.9 wtf, for me this is goty material

My rig is allright but I had to play it on Medium to get a steady FPS but the graphics were still really good. Only thing is that the models of the humans looked bad in cutscenes.

He said low specs. 2500k, even at stock is still a decent CPU. The 6870 is maybe a little dated, but far from being "low spec".

I have that 2500k as well and an HD7950 boost and played with everything maxed out (even AA) at 1080p with 60fps locked.

Edit:

Check this thread for pc performances

Bor

Neo Member
He said low specs. 2500k, even at stock is still a decent CPU. The 6870 is maybe a little dated, but far from being "low spec".

I have that 2500k as well and an HD7950 boost and played with everything maxed out (even AA) at 1080p with 60fps locked.

ah well, i guess browsing all graphic card threads made me think pretty much everyone had a better rig than me ;)

He can come out of the vents in most areas, though, if provoked. There was a section where a group of like 5-6 humans were in a room, so i just fired a single shot into the room and let them all fire back at me while i hid behind cover. The alien ended up coming out the vent, and killed all of the humans (because they were drawing his attention by shooting at me). I stayed hidden, and he eventually returned to the vents.

I had cleared an entire area of humans and was no longer required to hide from them in the dark.

Yeah I loved doing stuff like that. In a way it gives you a fleeting sense of control.

Got buried on the past page.

Do Xenomorphs have any vision modes at all? I remember in the first AvP you could change to see better, but it could also be so you could see better in the dark.

maybe this xenomorph is blind, and has to use his other senses to compensate.

The AvP aliens can also run along walls at a million miles per hour and leap like half a mile, though.

ElTopo

Banned
The AVP games established that the Alien can see its prey by their pheromones. I think the comics hypothesized this as well, but it's never been officially confirmed in the movies.

Just got the flamethrower. How much longer do I have?

I'm enjoying this game a lot, but ever since the alien was introduced, pacing just went out the window. You're being stalked 95% of the time, so I just find myself constantly on the move, never really getting a chance to take in the atmosphere. I think I've missed a few blueprints already.

Krejlooc

Banned
The AVP games established that the Alien can see its prey by their pheromones. I think the comics hypothesized this as well, but it's never been officially confirmed in the movies.

The movies actually go out of their way to explain how the alien "sees" because it makes it seem scarier that way, like it can see in multiple ways. The only reference to alien vision is in Alien 3, when you see POV shots from the alien, but it's unexplained how the picture is obtained (plus it has a weird effect over it).

Spoo

I'm enjoying this game a lot, but ever since the alien was introduced, pacing just went out the window. You're being stalked 95% of the time, so I just find myself constantly on the move, never really getting a chance to take in the atmosphere. I think I've missed a few blueprints already.

I think that's just the game at work, frankly. It's not really a smell the roses kind of thing unless it wants it to be, which is rarely on the back half (which you are pretty much entering if memory serves). There are 18 missions, so go by that.

That said, don't stress missing blueprints. You can pick up the better versioned ones later if you manage it, and for the most part all they are imo are time savers. As far as I can tell, there's really no part of the game where you *need* items that are craftable. They just turn into situations that can take 5 minutes into situations that can take < 1 minute. If you really need stuff, the game supplies it, sans health kits which are only useful when you've decided stealth isn't your thing and you want to see some blood spray. Which is admirable, but ill-advised 99% of the time, unless you're playing on easy I would guess.

shenhaZ

Neo Member
Okay, holy shit, I just beat the game. Marathoned it, must have played almost 8 hours straight and another 2-3 hours straight. Just holy shit. Beat it Normal.

So, as my brain is frazzled and sleeping schedule is once again ruined, here are my thoughts:

Also, no vent scene. This one really surprised me. Sure, you climb through vents and if you're near an opening and the Alien is there it can climb through the vent and kill you. But not one single stage where you're in the vents and have to find your way out and worry about the Alien getting you. Once of the most iconic scenes from the film just ignored. You could make the argument that it would have been too difficult for the Devs to program the Alien A.I. to also run through vents in addition to everything else. But my solution would have been to simply have a separate stage where you start in the vents or fall in there and they have another Alien with a different A.I. pattern to chase you.

there is such scene in crew expandable dlc

WARP10CK

Banned
Also, no vent scene. This one really surprised me. Sure, you climb through vents and if you're near an opening and the Alien is there it can climb through the vent and kill you. But not one single stage where you're in the vents and have to find your way out and worry about the Alien getting you. Once of the most iconic scenes from the film just ignored. You could make the argument that it would have been too difficult for the Devs to program the Alien A.I. to also run through vents in addition to everything else. But my solution would have been to simply have a separate stage where you start in the vents or fall in there and they have another Alien with a different A.I. pattern to chase you.

It can follow you in and if you make noise inside the vents it will creep in and get you.

Carcetti

You can keep the alien from going into full hunt mode in many parts by moving really slow and crouching all the time. That'll give you time to explore in peace.

30 minutes of gameplay lost!? Impossible, probably you skip some save point, or forgot to pay a visit at the save station mid job. Next time remember this

I just beat the game and it's so far my GOTY.
About the ending:
that final cutscene suggests that there'll be a sequel right? We know she died a long time after the game so it would be awesome to explore more of her life.

So, is anyone trying the One Shot achievement? xD

Garibaldi

Beat it in the early hours this morning. PC version. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The save system is less than helpful at certain points but I feel it adds to the tension.

I thought they nailed the alien encounter stuff, I won't go too much into it for fear of spoiling, but it never feels like it turns into a slog when cat and mousing the xeno.

I loved the whole hold left bumper, press down to open levers and the slow ass transit system. It really added to the game how everything was grounded and tactile.

Good stuff Creative Assembly, good stuff.

Kezen

Banned
Beat it in the early hours this morning. PC version. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The save system is less than helpful at certain points but I feel it adds to the tension.
That's exactly what it does. If you could save anywhere anytime the game would feel a lot less stressful and punitive. That's part of what makes this game so memorable, the player is free to backtrack a bit and find a save spot but he could very well run into the alien or ennemies in the process.

Lettuce

I was on the level where you have to activate the android to gain assess to the Store room to get the compressor to fix the lift. The part where you go under the floor via the service hatch and your directly under the 4 human scavengers the Alien attacked and killed all of them and then found and killed me, none of the human AI made any noise other than talking what so ever and neither did i.

On the next go i managed to get through the whole area and repair the lift without him appearing at all (so about 15 minutes of doing that section), very odd

You can keep the alien from going into full hunt mode in many parts by moving really slow and crouching all the time. That'll give you time to explore in peace.

Yeah, I've played a few more hours and its behaviour is very predictable at this point. I know the sounds it makes to tell where it is and what it'll do. Usually it won't come out of the vents unless provoked. When that happens, you just scare it away with the flamethrower and move along.

The alien is no longer scary. The fact that it can seemingly be everywhere at once is really immersion breaking, too. It's an annoyance more than anything. If the game gave you a break from him once in a while, the encounters would feel eventful, rather than routine.

This is still a fun, beautiful game.

Just had my first frustrating moment with this game and it was after 9 hours of play. I was dealing with humans for the first time in a while and had just killed one and knew there was a second close by. As I was hiding, waiting, a civilian ran past me from behind. I was startled and panick swung my wrench and clobbered him to death with a single blow. The game immediately stopped and brought up the "load last save" and said don't kill civilians. Lost about 10+ minutes. Very annoying. Then two minutes after loading my game crashed.

Oh well. A single frustrating moment after 9 hours is bound to happen. Pro tip: don't kill civilians. They like to run around and hide later in the game.

ufo8mycat

Great game.

They absolutely nailed the atmosphere, sound effects and graphics in this game. the most intense moments is the beginning, when the alien hasent actually shown himself. i find myself just scared to move.

One somewhat big flaw in this game is why does the alien always seems to crop up in only the areas towards your objective. why not go lurk on other areas? seems to be just fixed to your objective path area and wont leave permenantly, unless you sneak past his scripted path in that area.

other then that, fantastic game

Axial

Dat Marlow story... my god, CA really did it.
So far the game nails perfectly the atmosphere and feel of the first film.

S1kkZ

chapter 12 question:
i had to give away my weapons to get to the apollo core. now i am in the reactor and i still sont have them back. is that normal?

Top Bottom