• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Swarm |OT| - Free Co-op Multiplayer from Valve

Liquid Helium said:
Took us like 1-1 and a half hours on easy

It's shorter than I expected but I'm not complaining. Hopefully the modding community really takes off as there's a ton of potential here...

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Datwheezy said:
For a free game, this is insanely fun. Basically L4D meets Aliens, but from a top down view.

Ok this and a top down L4D are dream games for me, dammit why am I on the night shift, I hope there is no time limit on how long the game remains free

Sloegr

jufonuk said:
Ok this and a top down L4D are dream games for me, dammit why am I on the night shift, I hope there is no time limit on how long the game remains free

You think they'll start charging for it before you can get home from work? Damn, I thought I was paranoid!

Don't worry. It'll be free when you get back (and much, much longer).

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Pretty awesome game. I'm surprised it's free. Even for 99 cents or something it would have still been great promotion for Steam.

feel

Ugh took me about 30min of trying over and over to get the download to start.

I think Steam took a look at my library composed of 98cents Half Life and free Portal, and said: fuck this peasant, he can wait...

I hope my laptop can run this so I can play with some friends, I don't have a desktop pc.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ElJuice said:
You think they'll start charging for it before you can get home from work? Damn, I thought I was paranoid!

Don't worry. It'll be free when you get back (and much, much longer).

They are after me!!!, cool i will download this game and try and get it working on my machine

RS4-

Threi said:
fuck those headcrab things

lol facehuggers :|

Just finished it, pretty good, was expecting more intense situations, kind of dies off in the latter half of the game.

Sloegr

jufonuk said:
They are after me!!!, cool i will download this game and try and get it working on my machine

:lol Hope you enjoy it. The paranoia will serve you well in-game. Valve may not be after you, but the bugs will be.

Talyn

From the SA thread (reposted on another forum I actually read)

It has an IN-GAME level editor which can also randomly generate missions.

In Steam Tools, install the Alien Swarm SDK.
Run the game as normal.
Activate the console.
Open it.
Type 'SV_Cheats 1'
Type 'ASW_tilegen'

There you go. One level editor. I just tested it. Without hyperbole, it took me three minutes to generate and compile a whole new level from scratch. And then I was playing it. And died really quickly because there were no bots to help me, but whatever, it WORKS.

I repeat: THIS GAME HAS A RANDOM MISSION GENERATOR AND IN-GAME EDITOR. The number of missions is officially infinite.

Edit: I only mentioned that I read it on a forum other than SA because I wanted to credit SA since it was first posted there. I've no idea what this megaton business is about. :(

finished the campaign with charsauce fun game, shotgun is definitely the best gun in game with the officer bonus it's a one shop kills all weapon. I see myself playing more of this online to unlock stuff game is beastly fun.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ElJuice said:
:lol Hope you enjoy it. The paranoia will serve you well in-game. Valve may not be after you, but the bugs will be.

Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?

Talyn said:

Holy Moly, Awesomeness, :D

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Talyn said:
Hope they add this to the game through menus, and let bots/players populate the map. Mmm....

It would be really cool if someone made an atmospheric single-player experience with these tools. Something like Super Metroid. Oh god, I think I just pissed my pants.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It would be really cool if someone made a really atmospheric single-player experience with these tools. Something like Super Metroid. Oh god, I think I just pissed my pants.
No. They only thing that needs to be created with these mod tools is FUCKING SPACE HULK.

I truly had shivers typing those last two words out. Holy shit.

Edit: I'm still shaking. Please don't let me die now.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Talyn said:

Edit: I only mentioned that I read it on a forum other than SA because I wanted to credit SA since it was first posted there. I've no idea what this megaton business is about. :(

Sick

Salsa

1z36ijr.jpg

.. help ?

first time worked, now i get this.

Lyphen said:
No. They only thing that needs to be created with these mod tools is FUCKING SPACE HULK.

Good to see someone had enough condensed awesomeness between their ears to point this out.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It would be really cool if someone made an atmospheric single-player experience with these tools. Something like Super Metroid. Oh god, I think I just pissed my pants.
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I mean, I'm going to see how robust the streamlined SDK is, but I am going to have fun with this. It'll be a great way for me to ease myself into learning Hammer, since I can make levels quickly in here and then export them for tweaking.

Lyphen said:

That would be incredible, too. Space Hulk was so fucking hard though. :(

Tokubetsu

Lyphen said:

Not to get your hopes up but the old mod was very space hulk-esque. Majority of the maps were based around ships. Objectives like regaining control, destroying the bridge etc.

Volcynika

Beat it with Threi and two other friends on normal difficulty. Two of the group were killed before the last part of the last level, and then Threi was killed by one of those parasites. I then made a valiant solo dash to the end, dodging every which way past the aliens that wanted me dead.......and lived! It was awesome!

Talyn said:

Added to OP thanks

EDIT megaton lol

Max

I am not Max
Talyn said:

hooooooooooly mackerel!

Daigoro

Lyphen said:

you son of a beach. oh no you didnt!

cant wait to get home and install this sucker.

edit: i have 76 friends who own this game. :lol

charsace

Technosteve said:
finished the campaign with charsauce fun game, shotgun is definitely the best gun in game with the officer bonus it's a one shop kills all weapon. I see myself playing more of this online to unlock stuff game is beastly fun.
Yeah man good games with you and the other 2 guys. I love the minigun + bullet powerup.

Turfster

Are you ready?
*click*
*load*
Hey, are you ready?
"..."
*click*
*load*
Hey dude, are you ready?
*click click click click click*

In other words: The UI... needs work.
Fun little game, but we didn't manage more than 2 maps (and 5 tries of the 3rd) in about 2 hours on normal before giving up (basically 15 minutes on the first 2 maps and the rest all in the 5 tries...)

duckroll

The UI can be massively improved for sure. It's also a bit weird to load the entire game before putting you in the lobby.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
duckroll said:
The UI can be massively improved for sure. It's also a bit weird to load the entire game before putting you in the lobby.

Yes the active reloading needs to be near the middle of the screen somehow so you dont have to look down at the bar to reload correctly and take your eyes off the action.

charsace

Metalic Sand said:
Yes the active reloading needs to be near the middle of the screen somehow so you dont have to look down at the bar to reload correctly and take your eyes off the action.
Yes the reloading bar is in a bad place. It is tough when you are miniguning and things are chasing you while you try to reload.

Teknoman

I guess i'll go through the tutorial SP stage first, then try and join you guys.

Also people should post suggestions for custom tracklists.

duckroll

Metalic Sand said:

I feel the active reloading should appear on your cursor. That's basically where a player would be looking at while shooting anyway.

Top Bottom