• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Swarm |OT| - Free Co-op Multiplayer from Valve

Javaman

D4Danger said:
Is anyone else having trouble getting the game to start?

I get to the menu, go to start a level and then everything disappears except the background video which just keeps looping.

Try verifying your files.

I find this pretty interesting.

The game is fairly short, 7 or 8 levels in total and can be run through fairly quickly seemingly. Add in the harder modes and you'll get a lot more playtime.

Still, they essentially created the game and the first world, and handed it off to us to do with it as we see fit.

Source code, editor, everything. Free.

Let's see what the community can do.

Interesting experiment by Valve, I'd say.

A fun and pretty looking game, level 3 is tough with just 2 people.

I find that my framerate keeps dropping from 60's to 30's at random spots of the map, I can of course fix that by turning stuff down or off but it doesn't want to run well on a gtx260, e7400 at 1440x900, the source engine has always been a bit iffy.

Yasae

Banned
Proven said:
At this point I believe Valve makes so much money from licensing fees for Steam, and plan to make more with Steamworks, that all of these free weekends and giveaways for already cheap games are really just used as marketing promotion to get people to download steam, start buying games at a discount, and get sucked in.
Ah, but you don't hear publishers complaining either. They're all making plenty.

If I can hold this DL rate, I should be ready in about an hour (much like LensCrafters™.)

Volcynika

Proven said:
At this point I believe Valve makes so much money from licensing fees for Steam, and plan to make more with Steamworks, that all of these free weekends and giveaways for already cheap games are really just used as marketing promotion to get people to download steam, start buying games at a discount, and get sucked in.

You didn't know that already? :p

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Still can't get it to connect to any game (the menu doesn't disappear any more though)

I'm just gonna give up.

Man, between my terrible internet speed and the stressed servers, I'll be lucky if I get it downloaded by tonight. Still won't be home for a good hour or two, either. Pttthhhhhhh.

Won

YFmNx.png

Take that Counter-Strikes and Call of Duty!

Tokubetsu

Just as fun as I remember it. Flame thrower level is a bitch. The only way to beat facehuggers is to out-heal them? THEY'RE IN THE WALLS MAAAAAAN.

syllogism said:
It's a pretty fun game, but I can't see myself playing it more than a few hours

I know I sure can.

Anyone in the Northeast still having server issues try choosing Montreal. I blasted through the download at 1 MB/s just a bit ago.

This game looks SO good on my rig. I fucking love Valve. Talk about a developer that knows what to do, how to do it, and does it for the consumers. I can just see feeling the same way I did way back when I played CS with my buddies.

anyone care to add me on Steam my name is : donatelli

I'm usually around and want to play some Co-op asap!

Aeana

Wow, I really like this. It seems to have some of the ideas from L4D, but is more my style with the top-down view and such.

Aeana said:
Wow, I really like this. It seems to have some of the ideas from L4D, but is more my style with the top-down view and such.
It also seems to have ideas from Killing Floor and Gears of War.

Ferrio said:
Let's not forget this game is originally 6 years old.
I am not accusing it of ripping off any of the games I listed. I think it is awesome when games do stuff like this, add a bunch of great things into an already solid game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Threi said:
funny how the drawing feature is used more for doodles than actual strategy :lol
"Players 1 and 2 will form up in two circles to support Player 3 in the shaft, while Player 4 will be the tip of the operation."

Wallach

Metalmurphy said:
Supposdely I just unlocked a hat for Team Fortress 2 by playing this, but I have no idea how to use it in TF2. Doesn't show up.

You have to go into a game and die to "find" it like you'd find other items.

Proven

Threi said:
did you try pressing f1,f2,f3 or f4?

that's how you do it in singleplayer but i dunno about online

No, that only works if there are bots.

If you're playing in a round and someone d/c's, a bot is left behind. To switch to him, hit the F1-4 keys, one of them is assigned to the bot in a way I haven't figured out yet.

Guyver

SapientWolf said:
"Players 1 and 2 will form up in two circles to support Player 3 in the shaft, while Player 4 will be the tip of the operation."

Haha that is exactly what i was thinking :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Liquid Helium said:
Took us like 1-1 and a half hours on easy
Thats not bad for something that is a.) free and b.) guaranteed to have a lucrative modding community.

Speaking of which, is the specialized version of the SDK included in the main download? I cannot wait to get mapmaking.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Wow...Just played a quick round of practice mode and I can already say this is the best game I never spent my hard earned money on.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Liquid Helium said:
Just beat it with 3 other friends, was a lot of fun.
I'm calling it now though, there will be a mod that turns this into a top down l4d.

If so then woohooo :D :D that would be a dream game for me

Blizzard

Banned
It takes like 20 seconds to get into a LOBBY. :/ And both games so far have been ultra laggy. Are there any servers yet, and if so, is there a way to use them? *edit* I just found the search for servers option which of course doesn't show any available ones yet.

Chris R

Tried one mission online, went medic, screwed the mission when I dropped like 5 med kits when we were low health and my screen was shaking ultra bad (can I turn that off?) so later when someone got infected I couldn't cure them :(

Other than the fucking insane load times I had fun (aka I'll continue to play after I get my hat)

Top Bottom