• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Swarm |OT| - Free Co-op Multiplayer from Valve

Oli

Can't get the game to run on my laptop. It's not taking up large amounts of CPU, but even with everything on low, it runs laggy and the audio keeps skipping.

Blizzard

Banned
One time everyone randomly dropped to like 18 fps, but otherwise it seemed to perform pretty well, 60+ fps with max settings, 4xAA, windowed, etc.

That is, as long as the host is decent. I finally ended up hosting, and even though I have horrible upload it was apparently tolerable enough for other people to play through the maps with me. Sorry if it skipped any. :/ The previous 2-3 games, we had horrible lag and pings. Maybe if people get dedicated servers up things will get better...there should be a way for group lobbies to use a server if possible.

Facecrabs are the worst. We finally started moving as a group and killing all the eggs carefully in case they were spawning them, and we had to run past one of those giant bomb-spewing aliens...I don't know if we ever figured out a way to kill it. Is there one? The railgun seemed to do nothing or not hit it.

The UI is confusing sometimes. It tells you to heal yourself as the medic, indicating mouse buttons, but it's like it's telling you to use the scroll wheel and then plant a med beacon.

And probably the most stressful moment was the flamethrower mission...we had already lost once or twice just on normal, and everyone died off from parasites and such by the time we got to the top right corner of the map. As the medic, I might have even run out of med beacons, so I grabbed the flamethrower off the last dead teammate, got a personal medkit from somewhere, and by myself cleared all the remaining eggs/parasites/aliens including the panic event at the end without dying, thanks to my teammates talking me through it. I would have almost certainly died while waiting on the door at the end but someone reminded me I had like one use of the personal medkit left, and THANKFULLY it works to heal you while you're using the flamethrower. :lol

Metalmurphy said:
yeah :p figured it would just be there already.

For anyone interested, it looks like this:
2eoebtz.png

Used this pic for the group avatar. Hope that's okay. The active reload bar needs to be moved to above or below the player/character. It's really hard to keep an eye on it in the middle of the fray.

Max

I am not Max
Dani said:
How do you enable co-op bots?
I started in offline and had bots automatically

duckroll said:
I feel the active reloading should appear on your cursor. That's basically where a player would be looking at while shooting anyway.
It does

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Max said:
I started in offline and had bots automatically

It does

I know about the offline bots, but say if you go online with just 1 other player, would it be possible to fill out the party with two bots?

Frostburn

Played the first 3 levels with my brother earlier today, its quite a bit of fun and the game-play is tuned well to difficulty, it recommended we upgrade to Hard after the second mission and got destroyed by aliens on the next level 3 times in a row. Looking forward to playing some more tomorrow.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
duckroll said:
I feel the active reloading should appear on your cursor. That's basically where a player would be looking at while shooting anyway.
Horrible placement. It took me till my third game to figure out they had it, but my first time reloading to figure out I loss ammo when I reload(And not hit the active reload =[)

Anyways, Game is super fun. Awesome release and I love my need hat. I seem to be pretty damn good at it. The three missions I played, for the level 1-2-3(Through out all 3). I ended up doing a large chunk of the work while being the only one not to die :lol

Can't wait for the Metriod like mods for this.

Teknoman

That was fun, need to mess with the combat playlist option though. That music only kicks in when it's a rush attack right? Also like L4D, the real fun is hard mode.

Instro

Played through the practice level earlier, seems pretty awesome. One question though do you actually loose ammo for reloading early...? Cause it seems like thats what was happening which threw me off quite a bit.

Teknoman

Blizzard said:
And probably the most stressful moment was the flamethrower mission...we had already lost once or twice just on normal, and everyone died off from parasites and such by the time we got to the top right corner of the map. As the medic, I might have even run out of med beacons, so I grabbed the flamethrower off the last dead teammate, got a personal medkit from somewhere, and by myself cleared all the remaining eggs/parasites/aliens including the panic event at the end without dying, thanks to my teammates talking me through it. I would have almost certainly died while waiting on the door at the end but someone reminded me I had like one use of the personal medkit left, and THANKFULLY it works to heal you while you're using the flamethrower. :lol

Movie moment.

"Played through the practice level earlier, seems pretty awesome. One question though do you actually loose ammo for reloading early...? Cause it seems like thats what was happening which threw me off quite a bit."

Yes. You do.

Teknoman

Oh heres some suggestions for the combat playlist if it works the way I think (only kicks in during Swarm rush moments:

Metroid Prime: Vs Parasite Queen
Metroid Prime: Vs Giant Beetle
Contra III: Go forward under fire
Contra III: The final gauntlet

I'll see what else fits movie wise besides Aliens.

The practice mode makes it seems like this game could be fun. Too bad I couldn't actually connect to a game after spending 10 minutes trying. Other than the technical issues, the server browser also gives you no useful information at all beyond the map being played.

Curufinwe

I started an offline game, but the game kept going into 10-second long hitches, and finally I got this error:

"The nv4_disp display driver has stopped working normally."

I might wait till it's been patched before trying it again.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Curufinwe said:
I started an offline game, but the game kept going into 10-second long hitches, and finally I got this error:

Try updating your video card drivers.

Comic

Metalic Sand said:
Yes the active reloading needs to be near the middle of the screen somehow so you dont have to look down at the bar to reload correctly and take your eyes off the action.

So it's too similar to reloading a real gun then.

duckroll

Made it with a group of friends to the flamethrower stage. Very inspired designed, but man did the framerate suck at times. Also, the facehugging shit is really, really annoying. We basically got wiped twice by that crap and there doesn't seem to be a great solution to it when you're surrounded and infected, and stuck in a corridor. Any tips?

Teknoman

DeadGzuz said:
Playing this gives me carpel tunnel, the controls are whacky. No dual analog for the 360 controller?

No controller support yet, but im sure that'll be the first thing patched in. And yeah this type of game seems like it might play better with a controller...then again the way aiming works, im not sure.

Teknoman said:
Oh heres some suggestions for the combat playlist if it works the way I think (only kicks in during Swarm rush moments:

Metroid Prime: Vs Parasite Queen
Metroid Prime: Vs Giant Beetle
Contra III: Go forward under fire
Contra III: The final gauntlet

I'll see what else fits movie wise besides Aliens.

Yup works this way, and the tracks fit perfectly in the game :D

Oreoleo

duckroll said:
Made it with a group of friends to the flamethrower stage. Very inspired designed, but man did the framerate suck at times. Also, the facehugging shit is really, really annoying. We basically got wiped twice by that crap and there doesn't seem to be a great solution to it when you're surrounded and infected, and stuck in a corridor. Any tips?

deployable sentry gun

this game is super fun :)

pilonv1

Played three games, had crippling lag to the point of being unplayable. Good job releasing an online game without any ping/connection quality info.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
pilonv1 said:
Played three games, had crippling lag to the point of being unplayable. Good job releasing an online game without any ping/connection quality info.
it is free, dammit nearly finished work gonna download this and test it out :D

Erudite

Curufinwe said:

My buddy had that same problem, updated his video drivers, golden

Chris R

So playing the commander was much more fun :D Even had a sweet ass slow-mo moment when I was the only guy left alive towards the end of the level and there are a few of the large shield creatures blocking your path. A kick ass roll/dive and two quick shotgun blasts and then I just booked it for the door :lol

Teknoman

pilonv1 said:

Add yourself to the GAF steam group for the game, friend people, join them in game and have nearly lag free fun.

Kard8p3

Games loads map, then crashes, fffuu.

Anyone else having this problem?

Can't post specs at the moment, using my brother's laptop to play, he's asleep and everything needs his password, lol.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
duckroll said:
Flamethrower. Make sure you have someone who is good with it. I had it with the Deployable Sent gun, and out team aced the level.

parasight

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, so, just did my first actual mission, the Biomass one and wow, this game rocks. Loving it so far!

Fun games playing with ya. My Steam ID's foolosophy in case you were wondering. Always fun getting eaten alive and not knowing how to kill the damn parasites.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Having someone with a flamethrower is pretty essential. It instakills parasites, prevents eggs from making more parasites, insta kills those bug things that pop out of those bulbous things, and prevents those bulbous things from making more when on fire.

Good weapon for a medic to use since they don't really get any other cool guns to use.

Vizionblind

Neo Member
quick tips:

hit tab, then use your mouse to draw on the map

hit r to reload, then like gears of war, hit r again in the white area for a quick reload

Teknoman

No controllers yet, but it'll be nice when it does. Also please wait for team mates to read PDAs if you see them going for one. I know they dont have any effect on the game...but damn I like backstories :lol

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Truespeed said:
So, um, does it support the 360 controller?

*ducks*

No, and hopefully it never does. I don't want my teammates shooting me in the back every five seconds just because they decided to use a control pad:lol

Teknoman

Ysiadmihi said:
No, and hopefully it never does. I don't want my teammates shooting me in the back every five seconds just because they decided to use a control pad:lol

That already happens with M/KB.

Top Bottom