• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens and UFOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

INC

This is handled by state officials, the laziest people on earth. Do you really think they constantly update their stuff? It got classified and all the files went to a file cabinet where nobody will touch it ever again.

So its not been classified as plane, because people are lazy, and thats that then.......

This ufo solving stuff is easy, now I know procedure

QSD

This dude seems so self impressed, like he's acting....

IDK, his general vibe definitely comes across as somewhat affected but he and that Elizondo dude have been making pretty far-reaching claims about what's coming. Their public reputation would be unsalvageable if it all turned out to be horse dung.

StormCell

Sen. Marco Rubio:

"the report will detail 'advanced technologies that we don’t possess [that] are in our restricted airspace almost on a nightly basis now.'”

At least that quote and/or that portion of the report may be reference to advanced aerial drones being used by adversaries for low flight high-fidelity surveillance of our more sensitive restricted air spaces. I guess this crap has been going on for years now without much word out of the military...

INC

IDK, his general vibe definitely comes across as somewhat affected but he and that Elizondo dude have been making pretty far-reaching claims about what's coming. Their public reputation would be unsalvageable if it all turned out to be horse dung.

yep, theyre losing me tbh, just stick the facts for now please. if Greer starts popping up with them, im out

Romulus

The French UAP summary report is from Sigma 2, a civilian scientific committee tasked to look into this for the French Air Force. Still waiting on the main doc, but this is the summary.

A quote from their scientific panel. Apparently, they looked at more than just French encounters:

"Our work also focused on the UK MoD report on UAP's presence in UK airspace. This remarkable report, summarizing 20 years of research on UAP, confirms their existence without any doubt, their polymorphism and their astonishing kinematics: hovering, instantaneous accelerations, apparent absence of inertia."

Basically, the report is a giant "we have no idea what it is, but it's definitely real."

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The French UAP summary report is from Sigma 2, a civilian scientific committee tasked to look into this for the French Air Force. Still waiting on the main doc, but this is the summary.

A quote from their scientific panel. Apparently, they looked at more than just French encounters:

Basically, the report is a giant "we have no idea what it is, but it's definitely real."

It's always interesting to see a report from another nation beside the US. Makes it seem more real when other nations are also experiencing them.

The evidence these things are real is, IMO, incontrovertible. The question now is, what the hell are they?

What's the .pdf? Is that the report?

QSD

yep, theyre losing me tbh, just stick the facts for now please. if Greer starts popping up with them, im out
Man I haven't seen Greer anywhere in a long time. What I was trying to say is that it basically seems like some kind of (career/reputation) suicide for Corbell and Elizondo to build up all this anticipation if what's coming is a nothing burger. They can't be that short-sighted... I hope.

Nester99

I dont know if we can guess the motivation of other life but I really respect this guy.

He has walked the walk and does amazing work in Canada highlighting science youth programs.

Did the Congress report drop yet? Setting up for disappointment of JUST "We see stuff, we dont know what it is"

Airola

I don't think it's the French Air Force that's involved in this at all other than perhaps giving logs and info or whatever if asked.

3AF seems to be a different thing:

What really bugs and disappoints me is the amount of ex this and former that involved, and some official French report "tasked by French Air Force" ends up being a civilian group doing this for an association instead of for an actual Air Force.

And I know I shouldn't really put much weight into how professional their logo looks like as it shouldn't have anything to do with anything, but it doesn't give me too much confidence to the whole thing when it's a civilian group that has this kind of an amateurish logo:
vospJRf.jpg

I just wish that all the investigation and debunking and all of that would be done by actual official professional science groups.
This whole thing is filled with ex this and former that, and "civilian scientists" and hobbyists. And yeah I count Mick West part of that too. It sucks that revelations and debunkings have to be done by others than officials actually involved with the original things.

Here's hoping the US report is a lot more in the official side of things.

And of course correct me if I'm wrong here. Maybe this Sigma2 is a top group. It's just that I felt a bit let down when it ended up being a "civilian group of scientists" (which could mean anything really) when I first thought it's some official government thing that's going on there.

Last edited:

Razorback

"You wouldn't cross interstellar space just to sneak around a little" = I understand and am qualified to speculate about what motivates a completely alien species that is so far advanced we cannot even fathom it, because I'm an astronaut and obviously they're just like me!
I can ignore everything we know about how species interact with each other because in this particular case it goes against expectation. #aliensmoveinmysteriousways

Last edited:
Human relations emerge from biology which emerges from chemistry which emerges from physics which emerges from math

The densest substance in the universe is the brain of a mathematician no one is more stubborn and as a group they dont take no for an answer

Romulus

I don't think it's the French Air Force that's involved in this at all other than perhaps giving logs and info or whatever if asked.

What really bugs and disappoints me is the amount of ex this and former that involved, and some official French report "tasked by French Air Force" ends up being a civilian group doing this for an association instead of for an actual Air Force.

And I know I should really put much weight into how professional their logo looks like as it shouldn't have anything to do with anything, but it doesn't give me too much confidence to the whole thing when it's a civilian group that has this kind of an amateurish logo:
vospJRf.jpg

I just wish that all the investigation and debunking and all of that would be done by actual official professional science groups.
This whole thing is filled with ex this and former that, and "civilian scientists" and hobbyists. And yeah I count Mick West part of that too. It sucks that revelations and debunkings have to be done by others than officials actually involved with the original things.

And of course correct me if I'm wrong here. Maybe this Sigma2 is a top group. It's just that I felt a bit let down when it ended up being a "civilian group of scientists" (which could mean anything really) when I first thought it's some official government thing that's going on there.

The thing is almost all scientists are civilians. Doesnt mean they're not scientists. I'll find what i saw about the air force and space agency connection through translator.
But I dont understand the need to be more skeptical of everyone here versus a 'real' government report. It's not like world governments don't have the absolute worse reputation for concealing and skewing information.
Months or years earlier when they were employed by the government they were honest, but not now?
The main thing for me is the actual data, not the summary. I want to see the entire thing.
This an 8 year study too btw.

Romulus

Theres a connection here too but this is like the French UAP program counterpart. Very interesting info.

Alright so where's the report get on with it U.S. government. Is this thread going to explode after it drops or what. Or is it going to drop today but take days to see it like this supposed French release we haven't seen yet.

Romulus

I wonder if some other military power emerges in the next 20 years we'll just pin everything on that. "Must be the Mexicans!"

i5x6mmw5ld771.jpg

Last edited:

StormCell

And I know I should really put much weight into how professional their logo looks like as it shouldn't have anything to do with anything, but it doesn't give me too much confidence to the whole thing when it's a civilian group that has this kind of an amateurish logo:
vospJRf.jpg

Hey, if it's any consolation, a leading skeptic believes leading civilian UFO researchers know a lot more about these UAP than the US DoD. They're all over the top of this and can assure you it's just drones, bro. And bokeh. Poor Navy has no idea what they're looking at -- probably should have called the local UFO group to get their lead skeptics on it asap.

I refuse to believe any of that. You can't base your respect on the look of someone's logo. Would you have judged Einstein based on his attire and the shape of his living quarters? You're going to have to trust peer review on studies such as that one, if there even is any. In the absence of good peer review, you will have to review it yourself based on the quality of the data sampling they're looking at and the likelihood of false data (which is always high with this topic).

Razorback

At least its actually a decent camera

Yeah, that's why you can see the string, making it obvious it's just a balloon. Had the camera been slightly worse or the object further away it would make a fine addition to the pile of evidence of things just far away enough you can't tell what they are.

Not that it stopped people from sharing this anyway. I guess you need the extra step of zooming in to see the string.

StormCell

Yeah, that's why you can see the string, making it obvious it's just a balloon. Had the camera been slightly worse or the object further away it would make a fine addition to the pile of evidence of things just far away enough you can't tell what they are.

Not that it stopped people from sharing this anyway. I guess you need the extra step of zooming in to see the string.

The people who were filming did not think it was a UFO. They knew it was one of their balloons from the show. They just thought it was funny how it kinda looked like a UFO at the right zoom level (made it appear to be moving quickly). It was a gag question for their viewers.

Airola

Hey, if it's any consolation, a leading skeptic believes leading civilian UFO researchers know a lot more about these UAP than the US DoD. They're all over the top of this and can assure you it's just drones, bro. And bokeh. Poor Navy has no idea what they're looking at -- probably should have called the local UFO group to get their lead skeptics on it asap.

I refuse to believe any of that. You can't base your respect on the look of someone's logo. Would you have judged Einstein based on his attire and the shape of his living quarters? You're going to have to trust peer review on studies such as that one, if there even is any. In the absence of good peer review, you will have to review it yourself based on the quality of the data sampling they're looking at and the likelihood of false data (which is always high with this topic).

Sorry, I had a typo in the original post. I said that I know I shouldn't place too much weight on the logo (I typoed "I should" instead of "I shouldn't"), in case you misunderstood.

I guess I'm just voicing my initial disappointment with what I was expecting what comes to who made a report to who, and then the first look on the first page looks like it's from some amateur fringe group. Now, as I said, that doesn't really necessarily mean anything but on the other hand as I'm very much into all kinds of fringe stuff, I've spent a lot of time watching conferences and reading reports by all kinds of groups where doctors and scientists and experts and former senior officials and whoever else make all kinds of statements and studies that a lot of time end up being nonsense that mostly just sound good.

Not that this is the case here, but my initial reaction to what it ended up being wasn't too good. But anyway, the full report is what in the end counts.

The thing is almost all scientists are civilians. Doesnt mean they're not scientists. I'll find what i saw about the air force and space agency connection through translator.
But I dont understand the need to be more skeptical of everyone here versus a 'real' government report. It's not like world governments don't have the absolute worse reputation for concealing and skewing information.
Months or years earlier when they were employed by the government they were honest, but not now?
The main thing for me is the actual data, not the summary. I want to see the entire thing.
This an 8 year study too btw.

My point is that especially in the last few years the words "scientist" and "expert" and "doctor" etc have lost quite a bit of their meaning. It's not that they wouldn't be honest either, but I'm not sure how much I should trust in their methods and reasonings in observing data.

But yeah sure, I'm interested in the full thing too. It's just that I've been interested in all kinds of fringe things forever and for the longest time especially the UFO stuff has been delivered in a certain manner. Lots of experts and scientists tell us and show us this and that. Sure, some might just be scam artists but others are honest in what they believe in, but the honesty doesn't mean they've treated or understood their data correctly. I'm just kinda afraid that what we are expecting to be an actual real super official look into UFOs worldwide ends up being mostly just what it was before but in a sort of a more glorified fringe way. Like, the fringe groups are given a mainstream chance, and they take it, but nothing really comes of it.

Anyway, what comes to the whole subject, I'd love Elizondo and co. to be right, especially now as he has talked about remote viewing too. I'd LOVE stuff like that to be real and be acknowledged by governments. But I'm not holding my breath for it.

If the wildest things become true, and if that Reddit story is actually real, it would mean that we are only a few weeks away from aliens showing themselves to us AND them having video material of god damn neanderthals and if they have that, I can only try to imagine what other footage they would have from tens of thousands of years ago. I'd LOVE that to be real. But whenever something new is first said to come up, there's always something that ends up being disappointing. And the initial feeling towards this French report summary kinda was a bit disappointing too, not necessarily by the content itself that much but because of the context of the content being less "big" and "official" as I was expecting. But I guess I can only blame my own expectations for it.

The people who were filming did not think it was a UFO. They knew it was one of their balloons from the show. They just thought it was funny how it kinda looked like a UFO at the right zoom level (made it appear to be moving quickly). It was a gag question for their viewers.

So I guess the question is...did Romulus Romulus think it was a UFO when he posted it...

StormCell

9 pages? If this is the preliminary report when is the real deal dropping. Or is this it?

Summary from the preliminary report:
There are a bunch of objects flying in our restricted airspace that represent a potential threat to air travel and national security. They have not been gathering sufficient data, lacked a standardized method for gathering such data from across multiple sources, and therefore have been unable to identify a large number of these objects. They have 5 categories that these objects fall into such as sensor malfunction, air clutter, pilot confused, foreign craft, and other. A lot of these fall into other because of insufficient data. A very small number of other appear to be a form of technology demonstrating strange movement and acceleration without a form of propulsion. In conclusion, they promise to give af more in the future and take better notes on the aliens raping them in the ass as they write this report.

Razorback

Ok, so I've read the whole thing. It doesn't seem to add anything new to the story. There's stuff out there, most of it is debris, some of it is sensor glitches, and some we haven't been able to explain, so please give us money.

Ok, so I've read the whole thing. It doesn't seem to add anything new to the story. There's stuff out there, most of it is debris, some of it is sensor glitches, and some we haven't been able to explain, so please give us money.

Haha that's it really. Welp, back to business as usual. I'm assuming this thread will continue on with its blurry videos full of dubiosity and "experts" chiming in on random podcasts or whatever. Not that I expected anything different to happen really, but a boy can dream.

StormCell

Here's the only gold nugget from the preliminary report.

In 18 incidents, described in 21 reports, observers reported unusual UAP movement patterns or flight characteristics.

Some UAP appeared to remain stationary in winds aloft, move against the wind, maneuver abruptly, or move at considerable speed, without discernable means of propulsion. In a small number of cases, military aircraft systems processed radio frequency (RF) energy associated with UAP sightings.

The UAPTF holds a small amount of data that appear to show UAP demonstrating acceleration or a degree of signature management. Additional rigorous analysis are necessary by multiple teams or groups of technical experts to determine the nature and validity of these data. We are conducting further analysis to determine if breakthrough technologies were demonstrated.

The most important part IMO is the push for better reporting.

It drops some new information (11 near misses, radio emissions, 80 encounters registered with multiple sensors) but it's mostly focused on the stigma and lack of standardization in reporting and analysing. Says they will look at historical data and use AI to discern patterns (like the Chinese already do).
They're getting the USAF and FAA on board, request funds for research and propose "a UAP Collection Strategy, UAP R&D Technical Roadmap, and a UAP Program Plan".

tl;dr: they're taking it seriously and want to reduce the stigma in order to gather more info, and this includes the entire aviation community. They really focus on the stigma part on every page.

The UAPTF is currently working to acquire additional reporting, including from the U.S. Air Force (USAF), and has begun receiving data from the Federal Aviation Administration(FAA).

USAF began a six-month pilot program in November 2020 to collect in the most likely areas to encounter UAP and is evaluating how to normalize future collection, reporting, and analysis across the entire Air Force.

The FAA captures data related to UAP during the normal course of managing air traffic operations. The FAA generally ingests this data when pilots and other airspace users report unusual or unexpected events to the FAA’s Air Traffic Organization. •In addition, the FAA continuously monitors its systems for anomalies, generating additional information that may be of use to the UAPTF. The FAA is able to isolate data of interest to the UAPTF and make it available. The FAA has a robust and effective outreach program that can help the UAPTF reach members of the aviation community to highlight the importance of reporting UAP.

Romulus

Then why not just post a screen grab of the string if its that easy? I'll wait.
I would have guessed drone and balloon is totally feasible. But let's see this obvious string.

The political statements coming out are interesting. This is the best so far, because of the last paragraph:

Washington, D.C. – Today, Congressman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, released the following statement on the release of the unclassified unidentified aerial phenomena report from the Director of National Intelligence, which includes contributions from elements of the Intelligence Community and Department of Defense:

“Through the Intelligence Authorization Act, the Congress and the Intelligence Committee required the preparation and release of today’s report, as it has become increasingly clear that unidentified aerial phenomena are not a rare occurrence and our government needs a unified way to gather, analyze, and contextualize these reports.

We should approach these questions without preconceptions to encourage a thorough, systematized analysis of the potential national security and flight safety risks posed by unidentified aerial phenomena, whether they are the result of a foreign adversary, atmospheric or other aerial phenomena, space debris, or something else entirely.

“We look forward to reviewing the report and will host a classified briefing for the Members of the House Intelligence Committee later this year based on its findings and to build on the Member briefing held last week. As we continue to receive updates, we will share what we can with the American people as excessive secrecy will only spur more speculation.”

Last edited:

Razorback

I would have guessed drone and balloon is totally feasible. But let's see this obvious string.

Are you watching on a phone? Try a bigger screen. Watch the video from time 00:23 to 00:27.

The string is noticeable when the frames change. It's hard to see on a screengrab because the footage has a lot of noise, but it's obvious in motion.

EDIT: I know how to gif.

unWrXOO.gif

Last edited:

StormCell

Oh c'mon. It's clearly visible when the object is in motion.

Scroll about a page or two down into the comments. This thing is not a space craft. The film crew knew it too.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy

The US government has said it has no explanation for dozens of unidentified flying objects seen by military pilots.
A Pentagon report released on Friday says of 144 reports made about the phenomena since 2004, all but one remain unexplained.
It does not rule out the possibility that the objects are extraterrestrial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom