• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

derFeef

A colleague is so damn hyped for this, I said to him to temper his expectations since it did not look that hot in previews - and now even I am bummed.

antitrop

I was with Havoc2049 ALLLLLLL the way up until he said "undue negativity and criticism".

It's not like people are just making all this shit up. There are SEVERAL people in the thread who have already played through a substantial portion of the game.

Don't bet on it.

And this is the guy whose review of the game is going up on Polygon in a few days.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I've honestly never heard of that Alien 3 script with the CCP soldiers.

And what? It seems like Gearbox have done exactly that - updated the AvP marine campaigns, and
gave it a storyline involving the company attemping to gain control of the Aliens for bioweapons research
(which has been a running theme throughout the entire series, anyway).

aegies

I've honestly never heard of that Alien 3 script with the CCP soldiers.

And what? It seems like Gearbox have done exactly that - updated the AvP marine campaigns, and
gave it a storyline involving the company attemping to gain control of the Aliens for bioweapons research
(which has been a running theme throughout the entire series, anyway).

Gibson's Alien 3 script does much, much more with the fiction than any of the real sequels to Aliens did. I have no idea how they would have filmed it, but it would have been way cooler than anything anyone has tried with the series since (shy of possibly Prometheus).

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Gibson's Alien 3 script does much, much more with the fiction than any of the real sequels to Aliens did. I have no idea how they would have filmed it, but it would have been way cooler than anything anyone has tried with the series since (shy of possibly Prometheus).

Yeah, it sounds quite interesting, reading it up now - the only one I knew about was that ridiculous 'wood planet' one which made no logistical sense at all :p

SRTtoZ

This dude likes it. It looks good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R8rek4WU1s

That footage looks good.

More footage from youtuber .

*edit* Ha. This guy couldnt even figure out to get in a power loader for a good minute or two. Gamers... doing it smart like! lol

And that looks awful.

I'm guessing the first is PC footage with a 360 controller. The bottom footage is awful lighting, screen tearing, gray washed out textures and awful animations/overall graphics.

Meesh

And here I thought I was the only one that appreciated Gibsons attempt :) As a fan of his work I may need to read it again, but it still amazes me they passed it up for what we have now.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
That footage looks good.

And that looks awful.

I'm guessing the first is PC footage with a 360 controller. The bottom footage is awful lighting, screen tearing, gray washed out textures and awful animations/overall graphics.

Been playing through it and had noticed how washed out the game looked on default but if you put the brightness settings to the near bottom it looks much better and offers more use for the flash light since on default you don't even need it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sometimes it' s hard to remember just how much Aliens has influence other shooters. Speaking of I wish A:CM had the health regen of Halo instead of health packs. The game has some minor screen tearing but the game is fun!

Ugh.
Health regen basically ruined FPSes forever to me bar a few exceptions.
So, finally a good news then

Been playing through it and had noticed how washed out the game looked on default but if you put the brightness settings to the near bottom it looks much better and offers more use for the flash light since on default you don't even need it.

A fellow Gremlins fan! Cool.

Whats the release date for this again?

Just got a message from EB Games (Australia) that they are selling it today (Saturday afternoon 9 Feb).

Dont want to commit until I see some reviews.

Mr Scrufff

Neo Member
So I've been playing this game for a few hours now (I know, I am playing it early, I'm a terrible person) BUT, I am really enjoying it. I am a huge fan of the first two Alien films and have been waiting for a video game that does them justice ever since I first saw them. The game is great. It has an old school FPS vibe, almost like a doom sort of feel. They did a really good job with the atmosphere and the overall game play. The weapon selection, customization, and upgrade system are especially well done. The local Co-op is great, and I can't wait to try the competitive online when the game comes out.

Visually, the game is dated. I won't lie it doesn't look that great most of the time, but while playing it I was completely able to overlook that. It's not REALLY bad, but when you fire it up at first you're probably going to have a little moment of disappointment, but luckily the frame rate is higher than most console games. ( I am playing on 360 BTW, so I can't say anything about the visuals of the other versions). I have only played the first five missions on local co-op (not sure how many missions there are in total) and so far I think Gearbox did a really good job.

It's a solid FPS and one of the better licensed games I have played in a long time. They finally were able to make good Aliens game. If you like the Aliens movies and first person shooters then I really do recommend picking this up when it comes out next week. Or better yet wait a few months because it's probably the type of game that will go down in price pretty quick.

It's a solid FPS and one of the better licensed games I have played in a long time. They finally were able to make good Aliens game. If you like the Aliens movies and first person shooters then I really do recommend picking this up when it comes out next week. Or better yet wait a few months because it's probably the type of game that will go down in price pretty quick.

I choose to believe you. I want to believe.

antitrop

Whats the release date for this again?

Just got a message from EB Games (Australia) that they are selling it today (Saturday afternoon 9 Feb).

Dont want to commit until I see some reviews.
Embargo date for reviews as well as the official release of the game are this coming Tuesday, February 12th.

guek

Banned
Ugh.
Health regen basically ruined FPSes forever to me bar a few exceptions.
So, finally a good news then

True fucking that.

I'll buy this game because I'm a sucker for the Aliens franchise. Blah. Please be good. Some of these early impressions don't seem too promising...

Also, hopefully the Wii U version actually does have higher res textures like Gearbox promised.

guek

Banned
You should haha, I really do like it. I played a little dead space 3 and honestly this is much scarier at parts and it's not even a survival horror.

4khUvqO.gif

*sigh*

I'll still buy it.

MGHA

So, the base single player story will not feature coop? But will have a separate story for coop?

VASPER

Banned
Ah, alright.

Is there a context to this game being so bad? Something like Duke Forever?

No the game is serviceable just not AAA in my opinion, it does some things really well but it just feels to dated maybe i should look at in a different light but i am just not having a ton of fun with it.

Mr Scrufff

Neo Member
So, the base single player story will not feature coop? But will have a separate story for coop?

Nah, the single player campaign and co-op campaign are exactly the same. Most of the campaign you play with other characters from the movie/game and Co-op player(s) take the place of them. It works quite well actually

MGHA

Nah, the single player campaign and co-op campaign are exactly the same. Most of the campaign you play with other characters from the movie/game and Co-op player(s) take the place of them. It works quite well actually

Pre order...C
onfired!

zugzug

hey guys all hope is not lost I was watching the Independent Film Channel friday night 11ish pm PSt something watching the movie Spygame awesome movie makes me cry a lot.......anywayssssss I saw a commercial advertising this game! Yeah so multi million copy game right right?

zkylon

zkylewd
No the game is serviceable just not AAA in my opinion, it does some things really well but it just feels to dated maybe i should look at in a different light but i am just not having a ton of fun with it.
Sucks. I wasn't really interested in it but I used to really like the Brothers in Arms games and it sucks to see Gearbox just release game after game that's not related to my interests (Boredlands 1&2), and it makes it even worse if they just suck (DFE, this).

Just please another Brothers in Arms, inspired on the first two, is all I'm asking.

DocSeuss

I am afraid the core shooting mechanics and enemy AI (Gearbox seems incapable of doing AI well in any of their games) are not going to be very good. This is my chief worry. Also, heavy scripting.

You should haha, I really do like it. I played a little dead space 3 and honestly this is much scarier at parts and it's not even a survival horror.

WHY

THE HELL

WOULD AN ALIENS GAME

BE SURVIVAL HORROR?

OR DEAD SPACE FOR THAT MATTER?

These capital letters express my confusion.

BigDug13

What sucks is that they outsourced their BL2 DLC so they could finish this. If this turns out to be not good then it was a waste to toss your premier franchise on another dev house.

Produce

When I pulled the trigger on this game for $35 I knew I was going to regret it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Having come to terms with this, I'm hoping I can get some enjoyment riding on nostalgia and franchise-based sentimentality.

I had a similar train of thought. Nostalgia will get me through. It can't be absolutely shit, right?

That is, until I booted up my PS3 copy. Jesus Gearbox. I had to check whether I had slapped in a PS2 game at some points. Piss poor texture loading, textures ripped straight from the early 2000s, stupid AI...

It is like Sega and Gearbox decided to see if they can one up Duke Nukem Forever.

I am gonna soldier through to see if it improves, if not, I will just bust out Aliens vs Predator. At least that was a more competent game on the PS3.

Sojgat

This game sounds awful, but I have to see for myself. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. JB has it for $69 AUD already, so that helps (kind of).

I am afraid the core shooting mechanics and enemy AI (Gearbox seems incapable of doing AI well in any of their games) are not going to be very good. This is my chief worry. Also, heavy scripting.

WHY

THE HELL

WOULD AN ALIENS GAME

BE SURVIVAL HORROR?

OR DEAD SPACE FOR THAT MATTER?

These capital letters express my confusion.

Should be a cooking simulator.

Also yes, SEGA shouldn't have given this to Gearbox but I guess they didn't really care all that much.

SparkTR

This game sounds awful, but I have to see for myself. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. JB has it for $69 AUD already, so that helps (kind of).

Damn, I thought $30AUD was pushing it with my purchase. I expect to regret spending that money the instant I play it.

Lettuce

Gearbox and Sega suck for putting this out as is - the product is sub par and again not worth 50 bucks or more. It is not as poor as say King Kong, but it definitely ain't no Dead Space (original i mean) either. And I feel gearbox should have at least aimed for somewhere in that range. But hey that's just me.

Now that would of been a awesome idea, a 3rd person Aliens game, taking the lead from DEAD SPACE with intense build up and atmosphere....why GEARBOX!?, why have you forsaken us!!?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Does anyone know if the PC version has improved texture resolution.

The texture resolution on the console version looks pretty bad.

Top Bottom