• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

So here in the Netherlands most retailers got their stock of the game last Thursday with a notice to just start selling. You can pick it up almost everywhere. But not a single review up yet (I understand the review embargo for spoilers sake, but how about protecting consumers from buying trash?). I only played for an hour (paid €57,- for my xbox360 copy) and was dissapointed after the first five minutes. The lipsyncing is all over the place, the screen flickers and there is just no fun to be had with shooting aliens - it lacks punch.

At one moment I had a couple standing right next to me doing nothing but twirling around. Also during your first encounter with the xeno he jumps you, sits right on top of you (one of these quick-dotdot-press-x scenes or something, you know the ones that were riddled throughout resi4 and every other game since then) he hissed and opened his mouth but that inner jaw didn't come out or nothing: Wtf!

There are android games you can download for free on your phone that look better. Shame on you Sega, ripping us off like this. I guess without a review of a trusted outlet to back up the grievances no one can hear us scream... Or something.

As a fan of films I feel cheated. I mean it is 2013, next month we'll have BioShock infinite so how is it still possible that quality in the sort of same genre of games can vary so strongly? Don't these people research what their customers want?

Nokterian

So here in the Netherlands most retailers got their stock of the game last Thursday with a notice to just start selling. You can pick it up almost everywhere. But not a single review up yet (I understand the review embargo for spoilers sake, but how about protecting consumers from buying trash?). I only played for an hour (paid €57,- for my xbox360 copy)

This isn't the first time they did that,bought Ghost Recon Future Soldier 1 week before it was released on PC in the store at E-plaza. Shame that they are gone now though. If something is done way to often in our little country,breaking release dates on a lot of games a few days or a week to early.

Holy god look at the first video at around 4:18.

4 studios are involved...

Timegate Studios
Demiurge Studios
Nerve Software
Gearbox Software

Makes me think of Star Wars kinect.

You know all four of those studios didn't all work on the same version together, right?

Probably one PS360, one porting to PC, one porting to Wii U and I don't know about the fourth. It's not exactly unusual.

Erasus

So here in the Netherlands most retailers got their stock of the game last Thursday with a notice to just start selling. You can pick it up almost everywhere. But not a single review up yet (I understand the review embargo for spoilers sake, but how about protecting consumers from buying trash?). I only played for an hour (paid €57,- for my xbox360 copy) and was dissapointed after the first five minutes. The lipsyncing is all over the place, the screen flickers and there is just no fun to be had with shooting aliens - it lacks punch.

Because the store isnt supposed to be selling it / they know the game is bad and don't want reviews out before release.

Also budgets in games. Ofc there is a diff between this and soemthing like Dead Space, Far Cry3 or KZ3

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Because the store isnt supposed to be selling it / they know the game is bad and don't want reviews out before release.

Also budgets in games. Ofc there is a diff between this and soemthing like Dead Space, Far Cry3 or KZ3
My immediate thought when I saw that EB had broken street was that exact reason - beat the shitty reviews :p

Ridley327

You know all four of those studios didn't all work on the same version together, right?

Probably one PS360, one porting to PC, one porting to Wii U and I don't know about the fourth. It's not exactly unusual.

Actually, it's pretty likely that Demiurge helped out on all versions of the game, and not just the Wii U port; they worked side-by-side with Gearbox on all of the Brothers in Arms games, and they also did the PvP mode in the first Borderlands game.

So yeah, it's pretty likely that they all had some kind of hand in the core game.

AHA-Lambda

At one moment I had a couple standing right next to me doing nothing but twirling around. Also during your first encounter with the xeno he jumps you, sits right on top of you (one of these quick-dotdot-press-x scenes or something, you know the ones that were riddled throughout resi4 and every other game since then) he hissed and opened his mouth but that inner jaw didn't come out or nothing: Wtf!

There are android games you can download for free on your phone that look better. Shame on you Sega, ripping us off like this. I guess without a review of a trusted outlet to back up the grievances no one can hear us scream... Or something.

As a fan of films I feel cheated. I mean it is 2013, next month we'll have BioShock infinite so how is it still possible that quality in the sort of same genre of games can vary so strongly? Don't these people research what their customers want?

Wow. It sounds like SEGA wanted to shift copies soon as before the bad word if mouth spread.

Predicting a metascore in the mid 60s now :-/

Hystzen

Ok im confused by the mission 1 somebody played or just watched it can you help

I'm confused what exactly happens during the Keyes chestburster scene (shocking moment....not) it comes out then he detonate explosives? why is he rigged with explosives or was it the corridor then why it that riggged with explosives, why is your character just casually breathing in a tunnel that is exposed to space WTF is going on

bryanee

I'm confused what exactly happens during the Keyes chestburster scene (shocking moment....not) it comes out then he detonate explosives? why is he rigged with explosives or was it the corridor then why it that riggged with explosives, why is your character just casually breathing in a tunnel that is exposed to space WTF is going on

I thought it was a grenade, plus the tunnel was already unstable.

I saw this in one of the videos and it didn't make any sense to me as well.
The dude didn't seem to have any problem killing himself along with you and everyone else. What a jerk.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm still looking forward to playing the game, but the gameplay videos out so far make the game look so....plain. I think one of the big problems this game has is that there are sooooooo many derivatives of the source material that it makes the original looks a bit stale. And thats excluding the fact that some of those games have done some things better.

At this point, the source material is the only thing keeping me interested in playing. I still hope it can surprise me.

Jedi2016

Wha? All the screenplays I've ready about for Aliens 3 indicates a story where the main character is isolated and helpless with other survivors. I think the first rough screenplay was Ripley stuck on a wooden planet with a bunch of priests and a xeno.
In all of my years following FOX's bizarre Alien 3 production cycle, I never once remember hearing about such a direct sequel to ALIENS as is this CM game.
Hell, I recall Cameron saying in his mind Ripley, Hicks, & Newt go off to live happily ever after.
Actually, there was such a script. I have an old paper copy around here somewhere that I bought from one of those "script stores" years ago, before the internet. Be damned if I know where it is, though. I also have several shooting scripts for various movies (that differ slightly from what ended up on screen), and even the original script for "The Star Wars" that Lucas wrote back in '74 or '75.

Anyway, the "wooden planet" that's mentioned on various websites and even in the BTS docs on the DVD/Blu-ray sets was actually the first shooting script. That was (believe it or not) the script that was greenlit by the studio (that's why some of the set decoration on Fury161 has religious overtones, that and the convicts' religious nature are about all that survived). That's where the "production hell" came from, the fact that they were constantly rewriting every last page of the script as they were filming. Poor David Fincher never stood a chance. Frankly, I'm amazed the film came out as good as it did. It actually holds a special place for me because it was the first film of the franchise that I saw in theaters.

I don't recall the specifics of the other script (I'll try to find it later today), but I do remember that Hicks was the main character, with Ripley and Newt pushed off into secondary roles (I want to say they might even have been sent home at the beginning, and were completely absent from most of the film). It was much more action-oriented than even Aliens was, and more about the conflict between the military elements than the aliens. Hicks was against what they were trying to do, and he managed to get some people on his side, yada yada. I think this script was also where the ideas of human/alien hybrids (that would show up in the comics later) came from.

I also remember that it was shit.. the script was very difficult to read through, and very hard to follow what was going on. Way too many characters and way too many subplots. I imagine the Fox executives said "Gimme another script" while they were still shooting Aliens, and someone cobbled this thing together in a day and threw it at them to shut them up for a while.

Anyway, I picked up the PC version for $30 thanks to Fatal's link a few pages back. I didn't feel it was worth $50, but hopefully it'll be worth $30. /sigh

I'm such a fan, too, I'm hoping I'm not gonna be too disappointed.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I saw this in one of the videos and it didn't make any sense to me as well.
The dude didn't seem to have any problem killing himself along with you and everyone else. What a jerk.

First thing I said to my friend. All the stuff that happens is based on this situation where a marine blows himself up for no reason. Sure he's getting chestbursted...but the first instinct is to kill yourself and your friends. Smart.

I finished the game last night.

Final Score
6/10

Anything that was promised from Gearbox regarding preservation of story, character, or gameplay is not present in A:CM. The E3 2011 demo is a different (perhaps better) game. The final 2013 release of the game is an unpolished buggy mess and a completely average COD clone. There's literally nothing special about the whole game. The best mission of the entire 5 hour playtime is when you don't have a gun. Also, the game should be titled 'Colonial Marines with Aliens' as your battle is never truly about fighting the creatures, as it's battling the corperation and getting revenge. The Aliens just get in the way of this.

After the final laughable cutscene rolls, the first thing I said was, "Oh god no more. Just leave the movie alone."

ezekial45

Banned
Damn, another set of negative impressions. People are pissed once they play this. Good lord, this already seems on track for one of the most disappointing games of the year.

Hystzen

The fact game started development in 2006 should been a warning bell this was not going to end well.

wonder how many times they restarted from scratch

dave_m123

That looks rubbish. Will pick up when its £3 on sale on steam lol.

Why do they always seem to struggle to make an good Aliens game.

Any idea what the Creative Assembly game is supposed to be like?

jdl

Banned
First thing I said to my friend. All the stuff that happens is based on this situation where a marine blows himself up for no reason. Sure he's getting chestbursted...but the first instinct is to kill yourself and your friends. Smart.

I finished the game last night.

Final Score
6/10

Anything that was promised from Gearbox regarding preservation of story, character, or gameplay is not present in A:CM. The E3 2011 demo is a different (perhaps better) game. The final 2013 release of the game is an unpolished buggy mess and a completely average COD clone. There's literally nothing special about the whole game. The best mission of the entire 5 hour playtime is when you don't have a gun. Also, the game should be titled 'Colonial Marines with Aliens' as your battle is never truly about fighting the creatures, as it's battling the corperation and getting revenge. The Aliens just get in the way of this.

After the final laughable cutscene rolls, the first thing I said was, "Oh god no more. Just leave the movie alone."

Sounds like straight to the clearance bin.

persongr

The best mission of the entire 5 hour playtime is when you don't have a gun.

You're absolutely right.

Next time, more Raven, less anything else. I'm currently at Mission 9 (out of 11?), with all the stuff happening in the story, and i'm still uninterested.

Shame, i was looking forward to this despite all the signs of it not being a strong title. Hopefully it'll be fun as a budget shooter in a few months, i do love me a bad, short shooter from time to time.

jdl

Banned
Gearbox is such a flaky dev...I'm surprised BL 1 and 2 are good games.

the shooting is BL doesn't have a lot of feedback to begin with, but it fits that cornball aesthetic. it makes sense that it falls flat in a less campy setting.

Sojgat

Been watching some vids and noticed the very present-day looking red dot sights on the pulse rifles. It just made me laugh for some reason. This really is space COD isn't it?

kejigoto

Banned
Looking forward to this big time. Got to play it last weekend at the even IGN, SEGA, and Gearbox hosted in San Francisco for a little over four hours. Only got to play through the first 20 minutes or so which was a good start but the multiplayer was a ton of fun. Running Survival was definitely the highlight of the night.

Lettuce

I'm confused what exactly happens during the Keyes chestburster scene (shocking moment....not) it comes out then he detonate explosives? why is he rigged with explosives or was it the corridor then why it that riggged with explosives, why is your character just casually breathing in a tunnel that is exposed to space WTF is going on[/spoiler]

He holds up a grenade and detonates it! In fact Keys is a grenade happy knob, he blows up the dropship with a grenade a few minutes before that as well!!

EGM1966

Actually, there was such a script. I have an old paper copy around here somewhere that I bought from one of those "script stores" years ago, before the internet. Be damned if I know where it is, though. I also have several shooting scripts for various movies (that differ slightly from what ended up on screen), and even the original script for "The Star Wars" that Lucas wrote back in '74 or '75.

Anyway, the "wooden planet" that's mentioned on various websites and even in the BTS docs on the DVD/Blu-ray sets was actually the first shooting script. That was (believe it or not) the script that was greenlit by the studio (that's why some of the set decoration on Fury161 has religious overtones, that and the convicts' religious nature are about all that survived). That's where the "production hell" came from, the fact that they were constantly rewriting every last page of the script as they were filming. Poor David Fincher never stood a chance. Frankly, I'm amazed the film came out as good as it did. It actually holds a special place for me because it was the first film of the franchise that I saw in theaters.

I don't recall the specifics of the other script (I'll try to find it later today), but I do remember that Hicks was the main character, with Ripley and Newt pushed off into secondary roles (I want to say they might even have been sent home at the beginning, and were completely absent from most of the film). It was much more action-oriented than even Aliens was, and more about the conflict between the military elements than the aliens. Hicks was against what they were trying to do, and he managed to get some people on his side, yada yada. I think this script was also where the ideas of human/alien hybrids (that would show up in the comics later) came from.

I also remember that it was shit.. the script was very difficult to read through, and very hard to follow what was going on. Way too many characters and way too many subplots. I imagine the Fox executives said "Gimme another script" while they were still shooting Aliens, and someone cobbled this thing together in a day and threw it at them to shut them up for a while.

Anyway, I picked up the PC version for $30 thanks to Fatal's link a few pages back. I didn't feel it was worth $50, but hopefully it'll be worth $30. /sigh

I'm such a fan, too, I'm hoping I'm not gonna be too disappointed.

Let me expand a little here (to pass the time on interesting Alien franchise lore since the game sounds like its poop):

• after Aliens at first it seemed Weaver would pass on any more films - hence a number of scripts were commissioned for Alien 3 that removed her character. At least one was by William Gibson. In these Ripley and/or Newt were removed from the picutre (not killed if I remember rightly but for example Ripley badly injured and Newt sent to relatives in one draft) and the focus moved to Hicks
  • When Weaver indicated she might return these were all dropped as the studio preferred her in the film to only a tiny cameo before vanishing. Vincent Ward then got the gig and came up with the Wooden planet, the idea of religions order of Monks, etc. Visually early designed were amazing but I do admit as interesting as it sounded I would have struggled with such a switch of setting given the industrial focus of Alien/Aliens. Anyway initial sets were built and the film started to shot but the studio got nervous about the lack of guns, tech, etc. and put pressure on Ward to change things. He wouldn't and left. In the end, running out of options (and with a release date already announced if I remember correctly) the studio turned to Fincher who was keen to move from commercials to films, clearly talented and a big fan of Alien
  • Fincher did the best he could but the script was indeed being re-written as they shot as you note, it combined bits of Ward's stuff (such as the religious aspects and lack of guns) while trying to alter it a bit with the shift to a prison colony. The whole shoot was a mess and the fact the film has any good stuff and looks good is pretty much all down to Fincher I'd say (his working cut is better than the theatrical release too)

So yes at one point there were Alien 3 scripts that followed Hicks only or Hicks/Newt with Ripley removed. The script you mention where they are sent home is I believe the Gibson draft. From memory (I read it years ago) Newt is sent home while Ripley is badly burned right at the start and remains out of sight in her cryotube. Further in I believe Hicks ejects her cryotube so she'll definitely be picked up in case he and the surviving humans don't defeat the aliens. Something like that anyway.

As an aside I'd also note that in Ward's draft Newt and I believe Hicks were killed - something Fincher always gets blasted with doing despite the idea coming from Ward's initial script.

To be fair I guess Fincher probably liked the idea too as he wanted to try and bypass Aliens action thriller styling and return to the horror approach of Alien and pruning Cameron's "family" for Ripley probably seemed an obvious step. So I guess it was Ward/Fincher together who killed off Hicks/Newt. Bastards.

Whats with the checkpoints in this game? I have played the same segment eight times now because every time I die it starts you insanely far back in the game.This is 20 minutes into the game so it should not be this tough, but o dear gosh I am about to rage quit.

Byshop

Let me expand a little here (to pass the time on interesting Alien franchise lore since the game sounds like its poop):

• after Aliens at first it seemed Weaver would pass on any more films - hence a number of scripts were commissioned for Alien 3 that removed her character. At least one was by William Gibson. In these Ripley and/or Newt were removed from the picutre (not killed if I remember rightly but for example Ripley badly injured and Newt sent to relatives in one draft) and the focus moved to Hicks
  • When Weaver indicated she might return these were all dropped as the studio preferred her in the film to only a tiny cameo before vanishing. Vincent Ward then got the gig and came up with the Wooden planet, the idea of religions order of Monks, etc. Visually early designed were amazing but I do admit as interesting as it sounded I would have struggled with such a switch of setting given the industrial focus of Alien/Aliens. Anyway initial sets were built and the film started to shot but the studio got nervous about the lack of guns, tech, etc. and put pressure on Ward to change things. He wouldn't and left. In the end, running out of options (and with a release date already announced if I remember correctly) the studio turned to Fincher who was keen to move from commercials to films, clearly talented and a big fan of Alien
  • Fincher did the best he could but the script was indeed being re-written as they shot as you note, it combined bits of Ward's stuff (such as the religious aspects and lack of guns) while trying to alter it a bit with the shift to a prison colony. The whole shoot was a mess and the fact the film has any good stuff and looks good is pretty much all down to Fincher I'd say (his working cut is better than the theatrical release too)

So yes at one point there were Alien 3 scripts that followed Hicks only or Hicks/Newt with Ripley removed. The script you mention where they are sent home is I believe the Gibson draft. From memory (I read it years ago) Newt is sent home while Ripley is badly burned right at the start and remains out of sight in her cryotube. Further in I believe Hicks ejects her cryotube so she'll definitely be picked up in case he and the surviving humans don't defeat the aliens. Something like that anyway.

As an aside I'd also note that in Ward's draft Newt and I believe Hicks were killed - something Fincher always gets blasted with doing despite the idea coming from Ward's initial script.

To be fair I guess Fincher probably liked the idea too as he wanted to try and bypass Aliens action thriller styling and return to the horror approach of Alien and pruning Cameron's "family" for Ripley probably seemed an obvious step. So I guess it was Ward/Fincher together who killed off Hicks/Newt. Bastards.

Yeah, Fincher is a great director and it sounds like he was handed a steaming pile to work with. I caught a bit of A3 on TV a while back and, before I realized what film it was, I was impressed with the visual design, style, etc. If you take the film by itself and pretend like it's not part of the franchise (and thereby ignore the horrible abomination of killing Newt/Hicks) then it's actually a pretty decent sci-fi film. It's just a crappy Alien movie.

I guess to stay on topic, a buddy of mine got an early copy. He said the game is like a crappier, less polished version of Operation Raccoon City (ouch).
-Byshop

MedIC86

So basicly people are saying this game is even worse than that pile of shit by rebellion? sigh...why cant valve or someone make an proper alien game.

Also, i find it so weird that a lot of previews i read from various magazines were so positive about this game :S

pants

Okay so yea, this game is poo. I knew that was the likely case 2 years ago or something lol. Will still get it, god help me Y_Y

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'll ask again. Does the PC version have improved texture resolution.

Mr E.

Because some of us like me have been waiting so long for this damn game that I can't say no regardless of the quality. It's so frustrating.

I feel your pain.
In someways its easier for you knowing your purchase doesn't depend on if its shit or not.
That's some consolation.

Jedi2016

I'll ask again. Does the PC version have improved texture resolution.
No one knows. Only the console versions have leaked early, since the PC version is, I believe, tied to Steam and can't be played until Tuesday.

Someone said the IGN video was the PC version, but I don't recall seeing anything that said as much.. I assumed it was the X360 version, since they were using a controller.

Top Bottom